* * * - - 2 votes

Last and Furious - the Andrea Moda F1 documentary

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 11:58

I don't think this has been posted anywhere else...

...but it appears there's a documentary on the infamous Andrea Moda F1 team's assault on the 1992 World Championship being made in Italy.

It appears to feature some incredible footage from 1992, and also a shed full of old Andrea Moda cars from the current day.

Interviewees include team boss Andrea Sassetti, drives Roberto Moreno and Perry McCarthy, and also '92 champion Nigel Mansell. 

Italian speakers, correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears the film is premiering at the Venice Film Festival at the end of the month?

Lots of clips including a trailer here: 

https://www.instagra...ormulaf1/reels/

and here

https://www.facebook...lastandfurious/

Advertisement

#2 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 12:16

10/10 for the title 

#3 danmills

danmills

• 3,473 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 13:05

The editing snaps of the intro screen are funny.

And this.

https://www.instagra...mU2YjMzNjRlOQ==

#4 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 14:34

The editing snaps of the intro screen are funny.

And this.

https://www.instagra...mU2YjMzNjRlOQ==

This looks awesome.

"I'm Sassetti!"  :rotfl:

#5 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 21:06

I love the fact there appears to be a warehouse somewhere in Italy with all the old bits of the Andrea Moda team from 1992 just sitting there covered in dust!

Would very much like to see this film with English subtitles.

Looks like they have some great interviews and access! 

#6 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 16,998 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 21:39

I love the fact there appears to be a warehouse somewhere in Italy with all the old bits of the Andrea Moda team from 1992 just sitting there covered in dust!

So weird. At the same time, so fitting with the whole Andrea Moda situation.

#7 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,734 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 21:50

Will the film get beyond the first five minutes before grinding to a halt?

#8 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 23:33

Let's hope so.

Very keen to see it!

#9 paulb

paulb

• 11,642 posts

Posted 06 August 2023 - 00:14

I look forward to this.

#10 Martijn

Martijn

• 503 posts

Posted 06 August 2023 - 00:14

I devoured the Perry MCarthy book, Flat Out Flat Broke, about his time at Andrea Moda (and before), its an incredible story and very funny. One for the ages. 

It talks about some strong guys from the team and being sent out on rain tires in the dry, so I cant wait to see this story in film!  

#11 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 50,022 posts

Posted 06 August 2023 - 09:50

It won’t be available in Canada and France though.

#12 Taxi

Taxi

• 5,095 posts

Posted 06 August 2023 - 11:28

Way better than Barbie. 

#13 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 06 August 2023 - 14:03

I think this should be a great doc for any fans of early 90s F1 (the very best period!) and the Pre-Qualifying lottery that went with it.

I must admit I know next to nothing about what was going on behind the scenes at Andrea Moda, aside from what's been said (several million times) by Perry McCarthy, but also on Roberto Moreno's appearance on the Beyond the Grid podcast, which was then cited extensively in The Race's excellent Bring Back V-10s podcast on Andrea Moda.

I know next to nothing about Sassetti, his motivations and money etc.

In fact last thing I heard about him was the rumours of an assassination attempt outside an Italian nightclub.

Someone defintely needs to buy up the old Andrea Moda,chassis and spares, would be a cult classic at Goodwood!

Edited by potmotr, 06 August 2023 - 14:12.

#14 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 06 August 2023 - 14:06

Their IG says still a work in progress. Any release date?

edit: fb says venice film fest and shows them doing a projector test 2 days ago.

Edited by goldenboy, 06 August 2023 - 14:08.

#15 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 06 August 2023 - 14:25

Their IG says still a work in progress. Any release date?

edit: fb says venice film fest and shows them doing a projector test 2 days ago.

Venice Film Festival is at the end of this month.

The film festivals serve primarily as a market place for films and documentaries, and many deals are done following them.

From my understanding, getting invited to screen at the Venice Film Festival is quite prestigious for international films, but perhaps there's a quota of Italian films which get to go straight in given the location? Would love it if someone knows more about this!

There's no obvious financial backer. Last and Furious appears to be a passion project which involves two production houses, Dinamo Films (4 permanent staff, but no doubt staffs up with freelancers for its projects) https://www.dinamofi...en/about-us-en/ and Zoo Factory Film Production, which doesn't appear to have a website.

Presume Dinamo are producing it and perhaps Zoo Factory the post-production house doing the editing.

This project would not cost mega bucks to make, providing they can licence all the old home video from 1992. The secret to making a film like this is effective use of what is clearly and absolute treasure trove of previously unseen footage, plus finding characters like Sassetti and convincing him to appear. It'll be like F1's own Fyre Festival!

I would LOVE this film to get picked up by a distributor and screen in the UK!

If anyone involved in the production walks amongst us I'm these forums, please let us know!

Edited by potmotr, 06 August 2023 - 14:27.

#16 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 38,708 posts

Posted 06 August 2023 - 14:45

I look forward to it.

#17 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 06 August 2023 - 18:25

Can't seem to see it listed on the Venice Film Festival site: https://www.indiewir...ist-1234887646/

#18 Silverstone96

Silverstone96

• 1,156 posts

Posted 06 August 2023 - 22:26

Sky Atlantic have shown a lot of Italian stuff here so perhaps they will take this on.

#19 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 06 August 2023 - 23:30

Looks like McCarthy's part was shot in 2021: https://twitter.com/...pArvxNrauw&s=19

Advertisement

#20 Cobra

Cobra

• 496 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 00:03

Love watching any footage from early 90's F1. Now the question is, did they manage to pre-qualify for Venice Film Fest?

Edited by Cobra, 07 August 2023 - 00:04.

#21 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 08:54

Love watching any footage from early 90's F1. Now the question is, did they manage to pre-qualify for Venice Film Fest?

Hope so!

#22 danmills

danmills

• 3,473 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 08:54

Get Amazon in on it.

#23 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 38,708 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 09:35

Venice Film Festival is one of the big ones, possible that a documentary of a failed F1 team 33 years ago will have a difficult time getting in there.

#24 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 10:08

Venice Film Festival is one of the big ones, possible that a documentary of a failed F1 team 33 years ago will have a difficult time getting in there.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Especially as it doesn't appear to have any sort of studio backing it.

I presume there are a ton of screenings beyond the big headlines. And perhaps somewhere for niche Italian productions...?

#25 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,855 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 15:17

Edd Straw is going to LOVE this. 

#26 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 21:25

It's really inviting someone to do a podcast with the director / producer!

#27 FLB

FLB

• 32,821 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 00:32

There's a possible angle, though: There will already be a racing film in Venice. Enzo Ferrari's biopic is supposed to premiere at the Mostra. It's based on Brock Yates's book and focuses manily on the 1957 season.

It's also been in the making since... 1991 (I'm not joking).

#28 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 09:24

There's a possible angle, though: There will already be a racing film in Venice. Enzo Ferrari's biopic is supposed to premiere at the Mostra. It's based on Brock Yates's book and focuses manily on the 1957 season.

It's also been in the making since... 1991 (I'm not joking).

Oh wow, I'd also love to see that! 

#29 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 38,708 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 09:45

Official competition entries in Venice

https://www.labienna...-80-competition

Out of competition in Venice

https://www.labienna...out-competition

Orizzoni (artistic and expressive trends)

https://www.labienna.../2023/orizzonti

https://www.labienna...orizzonti-extra

Don't think we will see "Last and Furious" at the The 80th Venice International Film Festival.

#30 flatlandsman

flatlandsman

• 577 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 10:03

My only issue with this is that the guy mainly responsible was simply a crook!  Now that is not a rare thing in motorsport, but I somehow find it a little odd, disconcerting almost celebrating a film about this team, the man was a fairly crooked individual and I know that plenty in this game are or were, but this just seems a step toof ar!

#31 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 16,998 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 10:14

My only issue with this is that the guy mainly responsible was simply a crook!  Now that is not a rare thing in motorsport, but I somehow find it a little odd, disconcerting almost celebrating a film about this team, the man was a fairly crooked individual and I know that plenty in this game are or were, but this just seems a step toof ar!

You've just described 50% of true crime and 40% of all other documentaries. Need for Weed being a good example (and a quite good documentary, even though it leaves quite a few questions unanswered)

Edited by Myrvold, 08 August 2023 - 10:14.

#32 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 14:45

You've just described 50% of true crime and 40% of all other documentaries. Need for Weed being a good example (and a quite good documentary, even though it leaves quite a few questions unanswered)

Yes, and true crime is absolutely booming as a genre!

#33 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 14:47

Don't think we will see "Last and Furious" at the The 80th Venice International Film Festival.

Outrageous! I for one shall be boycotting the Venice Film Festival this year.

#34 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 9,014 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 15:06

There’s a Bring Back V10s episode dedicated to these guys isn’t there?

#35 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 15:11

There’s a Bring Back V10s episode dedicated to these guys isn’t there?

Sure is: https://open.spotify...-Q36Dbi-GkfL7zg

From memory it was really great, but I want to know more about Sassetti the man, his money, his motivations, and life since the team.

#36 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,855 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 15:19

Sure is: https://open.spotify...-Q36Dbi-GkfL7zg

From memory it was really great, but I want to know more about Sassetti the man, his money, his motivations, and life since the team.

Listened to that episode a while back and maybe I'm conflating two different shady F1 team bosses, but is he the one that basically vanished into Mexico and is living under a different identity? Or is he the one that just refuses to talk about his history in F1? 

#37 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 15:30

Listened to that episode a while back and maybe I'm conflating two different shady F1 team bosses, but is he the one that basically vanished into Mexico and is living under a different identity? Or is he the one that just refuses to talk about his history in F1? 

I'd have to listen again, but I'd presume the latter?

And he appears to be breaking the silence in this documentary.

#38 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 18:01

Also just occurred to me that Andrea Moda... hasn't qualified... for the Venice Film Festival.

The irony.

#39 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,636 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 18:08

Looking forward to listening to this. That story about them sending McCarthy out to qualify at Spa knowing the steering column was broken beggars belief.

Advertisement

#40 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 11:40

Very good details on the project in this article, and some great photos: https://www.cagliariartmagazine.it/

Key points:

• Three Italian friends who work in the TV industry got talking in a bar and launched the project during the COVID lockdown. It's a self-funded passion project.
  • Andrea Sassetti has at least one Andrea Moda car and even drove it at Misano on the early 00s. All the remaining parts of the Andrea Moda F1 team are piled up in his basement "like an old furniture store"
  • Formula 1 rejected the filmmakers' request to use F1 archive for the project because it would show F1 in a negative light. (What a missed opportunity!) 
  • The documentary is three episodes, rather than a feature-length documentary 
  • The article suggests the project is being presented as a mini-series at the Venice Film Festival 

Full article is here (Google translation):

The people of Formula 1 enthusiasts and not only are anxious for the imminent release of "Last and Furious - the true story of Andrea Moda Formula", a docufilm that traces the epic story of Andrea Moda, an Italian team that can boast participation in a grand prix, that of Monaco in 1992 thanks to the feat of the Brazilian driver Roberto Moreno who managed to pass the pre-qualifications and finish eleven of the seventy-eight laps scheduled before a mechanical failure put an end to this beautiful tale.

Today I have the pleasure of interviewing for the Friends of "Cagliari Art Magazine" Massimiliano Sbrolla director and, together with Giordano Viozzi and Cristiano Coini one of the three authors of what is about to become one of the most realistic television docu-series dedicated to Formula 1 and cool on the international scene.

Roberto Brunelli: Hello Massimiliano, how did the idea of ​​this documentary come about and why specifically about Andrea Moda?

Massimiliano Sbrolla:It was destiny that we told this story. Giordano, Cristiano and I are originally from this Marche hinterland. We had breathed the tragicomic events of Andrea Moda since we were kids. Then 30 years later, all three of us having followed a professional path in the world of television production, we found ourselves sitting in a bar saying "Think how nice it would be to track down Andrea Sassetti and find out how things really went". That bar, we later discovered, was exactly 7 km from where Andrea Sassetti lived. We set off quietly. Then the world closed the following month due to Covid. It was the project that kept us alive (professionally speaking) during that crazy time. We have been overwhelmed in 3 long years of discoveries, phone calls, meetings, difficulties, failures, successes and crazy anecdotes. Slowly we realized that we had something great in our hands, which in its small way contained everything a motor enthusiast wanted. The best thing about this experience was the affection of the people who started following us on social networks. Starting with Mattia Valenti, who from the beginning as a simple fan of the Monte San Pietrangeli stable offered to manage Last & Furious' Instagram and Facebook. From then on, people started contacting us every day to give us a contribution: some sent us unpublished photos, some a newspaper clipping, some gave us tips on a person we were looking for, some urged us not to give up in moments of difficulty. The best thing about this experience was the affection of the people who started following us on social networks. Starting with Mattia Valenti, who from the beginning as a simple fan of the Monte San Pietrangeli stable offered to manage Last & Furious' Instagram and Facebook. From then on, people started contacting us every day to give us a contribution: some sent us unpublished photos, some a newspaper clipping, some gave us tips on a person we were looking for, some urged us not to give up in moments of difficulty. The best thing about this experience was the affection of the people who started following us on social networks. Starting with Mattia Valenti, who from the beginning as a simple fan of the Monte San Pietrangeli stable offered to manage Last & Furious' Instagram and Facebook. From then on, people started contacting us every day to give us a contribution: some sent us unpublished photos, some a newspaper clipping, some gave us tips on a person we were looking for, some urged us not to give up in moments of difficulty.

RB: The 1990s had begun as a return to the past, where small artisan teams, garage owners as Enzo Ferrari called them "the Drake", could once again attempt an adventure in the top motoring series. Just think of the unfortunate experience of the LIFE F190 with its revolutionary W12 engine in 1990. We now come to the almost mythological figure of the Team patron, the entrepreneur from the Marche region in the footwear sector, Andrea Sassetti, you who had the pleasure of interviewing him what Can you tell us more about the man or, better, about his dream of racing in Formula One?

MS:Andrea was crazy. In the good sense of the word. His life at 300 km/h has led him to reach great goals but also often end up off-road. He's not a saint, he's not a bandit. And Sassetti. Point. With him, a good friendship has been created even if at the beginning she didn't remember anything (or pretended) of the details of his adventure. We have reconstructed names, events and contacts step by step with a crazy research work. I get chills when I think about what we did. To give you some examples: we tracked down two women in Germany who at the time took unedited photos of the team, starting from an address from 30 years ago and 2 first names. We found an important mechanic of the team going around the towns of Umbria ringing door to door because we knew he had a workshop in those areas. And so many more surprises you will see in the doc.

RB: But is it true what we read on the web that Sassetti takes to the track today at Misano sull'Andrea Moda?

MS: No. It happened until the beginning of the 2000s. Then the cars…disappeared…the story of the cars is one of the threads that are told in the documentary, full of mystery and twists

RB: Having followed the story of Andrea Moda myself, I have always found the flood of comments that one reads on the web about the Team ungenerous, which is described as one of the "poorest" of the Formula One circus. After all, Sassetti and Andrea Moda, thanks to the extraordinary skills of the driver Moreno managed to be one of the teams that saw the car take to the track to compete in a grand prix. Where, in your opinion, does this "superficiality" in having described the team's epic story before your docu-film come from?

MS:We started from the idea of ​​telling the story of the last of the last. On the web, this team is considered the shame of formula 1. So much so that, when we approached F1 to have access to their video archives, the answer froze us "sorry, but we are not interested in this project because it risks putting bad light on the reputation of Formula 1”. 30 years later, was Sassetti still shaking the Circus? This surprised us, made us laugh and worried us at the same time. Luckily we managed to get a glimpse of F1 thanks to the help of a great journalist, former director of Rombo Franco Panariti. And today we are here eager to show the world this work and we are certain that at the end of the 3 episodes each of you, with a tear running down your face, will say "what an absurd story"

RB: And yes, Roberto "Pupo" Moreno was undoubtedly one of the best drivers that Formula One has had in the last thirty years, if one thinks of the "miracle" he performed in Monaco in 1992. I like to quote in this regard my fellow citizen and childhood friend Vincenzo Sospiri another great driver who "lacked luck (understood as the car) not value". How did you track down Moreno and tell us if he immediately accepted to take part in your project.

MS:Roberto is a unique, wonderful person. We managed, after a year and a half of messages and phone calls, to get him to come to Italy from Miami, to give him the interview. I remember that during the lockdown I had left my phone number to a thousand people who could know it to get in touch. I had written dozens of emails without success. Then one afternoon, between one Covid bulletin and another, my phone rings. Foreign number. "Hello, I'm Roberto Pupo Moreno... I know you're looking for me". It was a unique emotional moment. From there we wrote to each other daily. And he said to me “Finally someone who had the courage to tell this story”. Finally, a few days ago, when we showed him a preview of the 3 episodes, he sent us a moved vowel... he didn't imagine such a professional and passionate job.

RB: In 2017 on the occasion of an article I wrote for the Exhibition dedicated to the great Ayrton Senna at the Lamborghini Factory, I had the opportunity to write "There is a lot of excitement today among collectors from all over the world of sports car memorabilia and spare parts for racing cars” in your search for material for the film, have you met collectors who have opened their collections to lend you material on Andrea Moda? If so, were they jealous of their memorabilia or did they willingly share it?

MS: The only owner in the world of Andrea Moda memorabilia is I think Andrea Sassetti. The day he opened his old basement to us where he still keeps everything that's left of the team, we felt like we were entering the Sistine Chapel of formula 1. But you don't have to imagine display cases or shop windows. Everything was, and is, piled up like an old abandoned furniture store. A mystical experience.

RB: To get to know you better, were you already collectors of memorable sports cars or maybe you became one during the filming and research of material?

MS: Before this story, we weren't even motor enthusiasts. We captured the life story of this character and all the people who stood by him. Which was the backdrop to the racing world. Because, in our opinion, this is also a unique, amusing, tragic, fraudulent human story. A story destined to surprise even those who have never seen a grand prix.

RB: In thanking you for the interview, I would like to ask if you can give us any anticipation about the release and where we could watch the series?

MS:My production company, zoofactory srl, despite working for years for large broadcasters, is a small reality. Together with Giordano Viozzi and Cristiano Coini, we embarked on a project that has become much bigger than us. Both from the point of view of work and from the economic point of view (the documentary was totally self-financed). Traveling around Italy and the world to do interviews, buy photographic and video material, get to the negotiating table with a giant like Formula 1 was difficult, exciting and demanding. Especially if you think that we did everything in our spare time, between one production and another (thanks to which we could finance the work). But we are sure that once the games are over everyone will appreciate the goodness and uniqueness of our efforts. The story of Andrea Moda is a bit like the parable of life:

Edited by potmotr, 09 August 2023 - 11:43.

#41 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 11:59

p.s: if anyone could show me how to post photos on this bloody forum I'd appreciate it. None of the methods I've tried over a period of many many weeks have worked...

#42 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 38,708 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 12:12

VyKBExtu_o-1655-x-686.jpg

In all it's glory, we get potmotr's up later.

#43 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 50,022 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 12:41

That’s the Coloni they wanted to race, isn’t it?

#44 ensign14

ensign14

• 63,473 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 13:03

Yes, Alex Caffi's red and gold helmet.  A much rarer picture.

#45 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 13:17

That’s the Coloni they wanted to race, isn’t it?

From the film trailer we see a Andrea Moda crashing into a wall, after accelerating out of a corner on a track that looks like Misano.

The car looks like the Coloni C4 (the first Andrea Moda)... and I do wonder if it's the Sassetti run in the early 00s the producers allude to in that article.  

#46 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 13:20

With thanks to KWSN-DSM for his photo posting tuition! 

And here it is, the great man in his garage. Then the producer with a priceless piece of memorabilia. And finally the team's greatest ever driver, Roberto Moreno.

Screenshot-2023-08-09-at-12-21-04.png

Screenshot-2023-08-09-at-12-19-31.png

Screenshot-2023-08-09-at-12-23-46.png

Edited by potmotr, 09 August 2023 - 13:24.

#47 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 13:28

And from an hour ago (via IG)... Sassetti watches the series for the first time!

It's this account if anyone is interested: https://www.instagra...amodaformulaf1/

According to the caption (Google translated):

For the first time we showed the series to Andrea.

He didn't have the faintest idea of ​​what he was going to see.
He has never interfered in our editorial choices.
He put himself on the line from the very first moment, trusting in the goodness of our project.
And we didn't give him any discounts by treading his hand even in those negative episodes that marked his path.
Thus, at the end of the screening, after a few seconds of silence, his judgment was as effective as a review by film critic Gianni Canova:
"Vojatri choose crazier than me"

Screenshot-2023-08-09-at-14-25-24.png

Screenshot-2023-08-09-at-14-25-00.png

Edited by potmotr, 09 August 2023 - 13:35.

#48 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 38,708 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 13:41

I hope I will be able to find the Documentary and watch it from somewhere.

This should be the first of several F1 Teams who tried against the might, ultimately failed but not for lack of trying.

Techno

Ensign

ATS

Theodore

Osella

Zackspeed

Rial

Coloni

AGS

Dallara

#49 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 14:38

The glory years of pre-qualifying coincided with the explosion of handy cam sales, so there must be tons of great footage out there.

Like this great home video of Osella's 1990 season:

Edited by potmotr, 09 August 2023 - 14:39.

#50 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 38,708 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 15:16

The glory years of pre-qualifying coincided with the explosion of handy cam sales, so there must be tons of great footage out there.

Like this great home video of Osella's 1990 season:

Glorious  :love: