Alex Palou breaks contract with McLaren, own management [split]

• Please log in to reply
602 replies to this topic

#1 Seppi_0_917PA

Seppi_0_917PA

• 248 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 23:10

https://apnews.com/a...18bd864a91d8400

Edit - Since the article changed significantly overnight, here is the latest version:

McLaren boss tells team IndyCar championship leader Alex Palou has reneged on 2024 contract

BY JENNA FRYER
Updated 12:52 AM PDT, August 12, 2023

The long contractual saga surrounding IndyCar championship leader Alex Palou took another wild twist Friday when the head of McLaren Racing told his team the Spaniard has “no intention of honoring his contract” with the team next year.

In a letter sent to the Arrow McLaren Racing employees by boss Zak Brown, a copy of which was obtained by The Associated Press, Brown wrote that Palou had given him multiple assurances he’d be wearing papaya in 2024 and has already received an advance on his salary.

“This is incredibly disappointing considering the commitment he has made to us both directly and publicly and our significant investment in him based on that commitment,” Brown wrote.

The management firm that negotiated Palou’s contract with McLaren last year expressed its own disappointment in Palou’s latest change of mind.

“Monaco Increase Management is bitterly disappointed to learn about Alex Palou’s decision to break an existing agreement with McLaren for 2024 and beyond,” the firm said in a Saturday statement. “Together, we had built a relationship that we thought went beyond any contractual obligation and culminated in winning the 2021 IndyCar crown and tracing a path to F1 opportunities. Life goes on and we wish Alex all the best for his future achievements.”

It was public knowledge through the F1 paddock that MIM was shopping Palou to F1 teams this summer as his deal with McLaren had an out that would release Palou for an F1 seat in 2024 if he found one by July 1. At Indianapolis on Thursday, Palou told reporters he had nothing lined up in F1.

Brown, meanwhile, most recently said in July that Palou would join McLaren on a full-time basis as its F1 reserve driver as soon as the IndyCar season ends in September. Palou has already had several testing sessions in the McLaren F1 car.

The letter Brown sent to McLaren employees went out shortly after Friday’s final IndyCar Series on-track session at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Palou holds an 84-point lead over Josef Newgarden in the standings with four races remaining this season.

Palou starts eighth on Saturday on the Indianapolis road course.

Palou last July upended the free agent market when he publicly rebuked Chip Ganassi Racing’s attempt to pick up the option Ganassi held on him for 2023. Palou said he instead was joining both McLaren’s IndyCar program and had a Formula One contract.

Palou went public with the Ganassi dispute in a series of social media posts and wrote “as I have recently informed CGR, for personal reasons, I do not intend to continue with the team after 2022.”

McLaren then immediately announced Palou’s hiring with its own social media post that began: “¡Hola Alex!”

The social media posts became a bit of a joke in the racing world as drivers from other series began using Palou’s wording to update their own free agent status.

Ganassi, though, wasn’t laughing.

He fought the defection and the sides settled through mediation with Palou remaining in IndyCar with Ganassi this year, but testing as a reserve driver for McLaren on his off weekends. He was in full McLaren papaya-colored gear at the Miami Grand Prix in May, and Palou was wearing one of the custom Richard Mille watches designed only for McLaren F1 drivers.

Brown’s letter to his team did not indicate what Palou plans to do in 2024, when he is already contractually bound to McLaren. Brown and Ganassi are bitter rivals — Brown even paid Palou’s legal fees in his fight to get out of the Ganassi deal — and Ganassi initially gloated Friday to The Associated Press over Palou’s change of mind.

“We don’t comment on driver contracts. You know that,” Ganassi then told AP. “We as a team work on wins and championships.”

Palou is currently closing in on his second IndyCar title in three years driving for Ganassi. The 26-year-old Spaniard is in his fourth season of IndyCar — three with Ganassi — but has long held F1 ambitions.

“We dedicated a lot of time, money and resources preparing to welcome Alex into our team because we believed in him and were looking forward to IndyCar wins with him,” Brown wrote. “Coming out of his team dispute last fall, we were assured by Alex of his commitment to Arrow McLaren reflected in the contract he entered into with us.”

Brown said he has been reassured by Palou multiple times since this year’s Indianapolis 500 in May that he would be with McLaren next year. Because of those promises, Brown wrote “we have paid him a significant first payment toward his 2024 season in addition to the millions of dollars toward developing him in our Formula 1 testing program and in his reserve driver role with a potential drive in F1 in the future.”

Brown wrote that the McLaren expects Palou to honor his contract with the team, but will pursue 2024 driver lineup possibilities as the dispute is settled. McLaren currently fields IndyCar teams for Pato O’Ward, Felix Rosenqvist and Alexander Rossi.

“Unfortunately, it now appears our belief, commitment, investment and trust in Alex was misplaced as it is not being reciprocated,” said Brown, who will confer with his IndyCar team leadership on its future plans.

The team was in discussion of adding a fourth car once Palou joined in order to keep Rosenqvist on the roster. Rosenqvist has lived in limbo the past year as his future with McLaren has rested with Palou’s decisions.

“We have made clear to Alex that we expect him to honor and perform under his contract with us. However, the leadership team and I are focused on addressing our 2024 driver lineup in order to be prepared if Alex does not do so.”

BY JENNA FRYER
Updated 3:26 PM PDT, August 11, 2023

Alex Palou has changed his mind — again — and informed McLaren Racing he will not be joining the team at the end of this season.

In a letter sent to the Arrow McLaren Racing employees by boss Zak Brown, a copy of which was obtained by The Associated Press, Brown wrote that Palou “has no intention of honoring his contract with our Arrow McLaren IndyCar team for the 2024 season and beyond.”

The letter was sent to McLaren employees shortly after Friday’s final IndyCar Series on-track session at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Palou last July upended the free agent market when he publicly rebuked Chip Ganassi Racing’s attempt to pick up the option Ganassi held on him for 2023. Palou said he instead was joining both McLaren’s IndyCar program and had a Formula One contract.

Ganassi fought it and the sides settled with Palou remaining in IndyCar with Ganassi this year, but testing as a reserve driver for McLaren on his off weekends. He was slated to join McLaren full-time at the end of this IndyCar season, and was in full McLaren papaya-colored gear at the Miami Grand Prix in May.

Palou is currently closing in on his second IndyCar title in three years driving for Ganassi. The 26-year-old Spaniard is in his fourth season of IndyCar — three with Ganassi — but has long held F1 ambitions.

“This is incredibly disappointing considering the commitment he has made to us both directly and publicly and our significant investment in him based on that commitment,” Brown wrote to his employees.

“We dedicated a lot of time, money and resources preparing to welcome Alex into our team because we believed in him and were looking forward to IndyCar wins with him. Coming out of his team dispute last fall, we were assured by Alex of his commitment to Arrow McLaren reflected in the contract he entered into with us.”

Brown said he has been reassured by Palou multiple times since this year’s Indianapolis 500 in May that he would be with McLaren next year. Because of those promises, Brown wrote “we have paid him a significant first payment toward his 2024 season in addition to the millions of dollars toward developing him in our Formula 1 testing program and in his reserve driver role with a potential drive in F1 in the future.”

Brown wrote that the McLaren expects Palou to honor his contract with the team, but will pursue 2024 driver lineup possibilities as the dispute is settled. McLaren currently fields IndyCar teams for Pato O’Ward, Felix Rosenqvist and Alexander Rossi.

Edited by Seppi_0_917PA, 12 August 2023 - 12:42.

Advertisement

#2 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 23:56

Holy shiiiitttttt... I dare say this means Alex isn't going to F1 and is staying at Ganassi

#3 loki

loki

• 12,344 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 23:57

53110415618_84cd445b3c_o_d.jpg

#4 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 00:01

I am officially calling this a Palouhaha

#5 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 00:03

Disappointed he didn't post his intention to not honour his contract through official channels ie. Twitter

#6 FLB

FLB

• 29,927 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 00:13

Holy shiiiitttttt... I dare say this means Alex isn't going to F1 and is staying at Ganassi

Marshall Pruett had it in one of his articles that Palou's F1 opportunity was 'independently source', meaning it wasn't coming from Brown. 

#7 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 00:16

Wasn't Pruett writing that he heard from various sources that Mclaren was going to loan Palou to Williams?

#8 FLB

FLB

• 29,927 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 00:17

IndyStar article: McLaren: Alex Palou 'does not intend to honor' contractual obligations (indystar.com)

#9 917k

• 2,964 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 00:18

Palou realizing Browns smoke blowing promise of an F1 seat was just that….

#10 FLB

FLB

• 29,927 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 00:20

Wasn't Pruett writing that he heard from various sources that Mclaren was going to loan Palou to Williams?

As he writes in this article, things have kept changing: IndyCar silly season update, Gallagher GP edition | RACER

We went through the same Palou-is-staying routine in May, but there were assurances offered that it wasn’t real. As I understand the situation today — which could make a 180-degree turn tomorrow — he’s seriously considering the third option, which is to remain in Ganassi’s No. 10 Honda. If that’s true, it could mean his F1 opportunities have taken a hit and remaining in IndyCar is the priority.

Nonetheless, I’ve been expecting Palou to reveal his choice at the end of the season with either the independently-sourced F1 seat or the move across to McLaren/Arrow McLaren in whatever capacity. I’m now prepared for the third option of staying at Ganassi being the latest example of something that seemed impossible… and might now be possible.

Edited by FLB, 12 August 2023 - 00:20.

#11 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 00:37

Gee I dunno - I struggle to think of any F1 team would be willing to go with the risk of a contract saga for his services.

After the shenanigans last year I can't imagine that Mclaren wouldn't have a pretty tight contract on him, so can only see this move to blow things up with them as an attempt to stay at Ganassi.

Whatever it is, it is going to be awfully expensive for someone

Edited by krapmeister, 12 August 2023 - 00:38.

#12 MattPete

MattPete

• 2,635 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 01:26

Well, Palou just made Felix happy.

#13 MattPete

MattPete

• 2,635 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 01:27

Gee I dunno - I struggle to think of any F1 team would be willing to go with the risk of a contract saga for his services.

After the shenanigans last year I can't imagine that Mclaren wouldn't have a pretty tight contract on him, so can only see this move to blow things up with them as an attempt to stay at Ganassi.

Whatever it is, it is going to be awfully expensive for someone

Could be that Palou has an out in his contract for an F1 ride (e.g. Williams, Alpha Tauri).

#14 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 01:42

If the Mclaren letter is true, it's an odd way to phrase it - he will not be 'honouring his contract' - if he had a legitimate out clause for an F1 seat at another team

#15 YamahaV10

YamahaV10

• 2,363 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 01:47

Palou to Williams makes a lot of sense. I feel like Palou wants F1 really, really bad. Blowing away Alex Albon would be a good place to start.

Logal Sargeant is the worst performing drive in F1 this year so no real loss if he gets booted out.   

Sargent is from the Williams academy. So tossing him aside will look bad on the academy. He seems in over his head. 

I think Willaims should take a page out of Haas's book and sign a vet with experience. Like Daniil Kvyat. 

#16 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,240 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 02:07

I wonder if the recent Perez/Ricciardo rumors are true and he’s snagged the ostensibly vacant 2024 Alpha Tauri seat.

Regardless, the Ganassi/McLaren grudge match is endlessly entertaining.

#17 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,304 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 05:11

Palou is that rare driver whose off-track affairs are more dramatic than his on-track ones.

#18 Mohican

Mohican

• 1,969 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 05:29

Judging by the Indystar article, Palou is an individual who is either incredibly naive and very badly advised - or else completely unethical and money-focused. Take your pick.
He has now parted ways with his managers…fancy that…

Chip would be wise to keep his head down, expect McLaren to sue Palou personally for all their sunk costs plus damages; could be very expensive.

#19 loki

loki

• 12,344 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 05:37

He may have realized that Norris and Piastri aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. Palou being in his mid/late 20s his options were no better than trundling for a year or two in a Williams rent-a-ride.  That isn't as appealing as being potentially the next Dixon.  Perhaps there is a Toro Rosso (or whatever they’re going to call it) vacancy but without more to go on I think he might want to be more competitive than just logging laps.  Not that a sister Red Bull car will do any better than Williams.

Either that or he’s going to Andretti Cadillac…

:rotfl:  :rotfl:

Advertisement

#20 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,279 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 06:00

Palou is a snake.

Anyway, onwards and upwards.

If I’m Zak Brown I’m signing Calum Illot for the number 6.

#21 Mohican

Mohican

• 1,969 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 06:06

Palou is a snake.

Anyway, onwards and upwards.

If I’m Zak Brown I’m signing Calum Illot for the number 6.

Or Ericsson. Or continue with Rosenqvist.

#22 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 6,121 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 06:10

Either he's a snake or he's so weak-willed that he says yes to everyone and then has seconds thoughts after reflecting on what he said yes to.  

#23 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,684 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 06:11

Can't tell if Palou is smart or stupid

#24 Anja

Anja

• 10,355 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 07:17

All that drama, for two years running now, just to stay put? Certainly an interesting variation of the silly season. 

#25 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,582 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 07:26

It’s the Jenson Button saga all over again.

#26 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,486 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 07:43

It's not all that surprising. This all started when Ricciardo was at McLaren and badly floundering. Now that seat is occupied by the excellent Piastri. So where's the space to join the F1 team? He could easily end up giving up the Ganassi seat for no gain whatsoever.

#27 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,304 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 08:27

Palou's relationship with McLaren only made sense so long as they were offering some sort of credible F1 opportunity. Either he's found an F1 seat himself, or he's decided to stay put at Ganassi and work out the contractual details later (which could be fun...).

Edited by Muppetmad, 12 August 2023 - 08:27.

#28 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,304 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 08:48

Also, as much as I like the McLaren organisation and Zak Brown as well, I don't feel any sympathy for them in this. It feels like they've been playing with fire for a little while now in getting drivers on board, so while it is unfortunate they might get burned here, it was always the risk of such a strategy.

#29 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,486 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 09:10

Judging by the Indystar article, Palou is an individual who is either incredibly naive and very badly advised - or else completely unethical and money-focused. Take your pick.
He has now parted ways with his managers…fancy that…

Chip would be wise to keep his head down, expect McLaren to sue Palou personally for all their sunk costs plus damages; could be very expensive.

He's conducted himself in the media and on track as if there was no background drama at all. So I don't think there's much evidence to warrant the character assassination. 

Not a surprise that he parted ways with his management over this. Aren't they supposed to be the contract experts? So how did they not spot that the Ganassi contract was solid?

So is Palou naive? Well, that same management team got him from Super Formula into IndyCar and then into Ganassi, ultimately delivering a championship. Why wouldn't you trust them?

I think the likely explanation is that they simply overreached when F1 carrot was dangled in front of them. Palou doesn't have to commit to the hole they dug him into (which of course he went along with).

Had he conducted a scorched earth policy or underperformed, maybe he'd be in trouble. But he's the class of the field and the team evidently still love him. He has fully earned his leverage and the options he has.

#30 Silverstone96

Silverstone96

• 1,118 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 09:38

Wouldn’t be surprised if this ends up in a court and Palou having to sit on the sidelines for a year.

#31 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,486 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 09:57

Wouldn’t be surprised if this ends up in a court and Palou having to sit on the sidelines for a year.

That strikes me as unlikely. If the fight goes on that long, it assumes that McLaren will pursue every avenue to hire a driver who ultimately won't want to be there. It would have toxic ramifications in the paddock. It seems wiser to strike up a deal.

#32 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,279 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 10:09

Or Ericsson. Or continue with Rosenqvist.

Rosenqvist has shown he’s not good enough.

Ericsson is solid but not fast.

May as well go with an exciting young talent.

#33 AntSinistra

AntSinistra

• 12 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 10:44

This is getting silly.

Monaco Increase Management is bitterly disappointed to learn about Alex Palou’s decision to break an existing agreement with McLaren for 2024 and beyond. Together, we had built a relationship that we thought went beyond any contractual obligation and culminated in winning the 2021 Indycar crown and tracing a path to F1 opportunities. Life goes on and we wish Alex all the best for his future achievements.

https://monacoincrea...e-management-2/

Edited by AntSinistra, 12 August 2023 - 10:48.

#34 FLB

FLB

• 29,927 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 10:48

This is getting silly.

Getting silly? This has been silly since Day 1 last year!  :lol:

#35 AntSinistra

AntSinistra

• 12 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 10:53

Getting silly? This has been silly since Day 1 last year!  :lol:

I hear you, but having the management team releasing a statement, basically distancing itself from the actions of its client, is in my book an unprecedented level of silliness.

#36 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,486 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 10:57

"A relationship that we thought went beyond any contractual obligation" is quite a red flag.

#37 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,843 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 11:03

Pa-lol

#38 Clrnc

Clrnc

• 6,794 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 11:03

Yeah, his character is really disappointing. Not sure what is he thinking. 

#39 FLB

FLB

• 29,927 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 11:05

"A relationship that we thought went beyond any contractual obligation" is quite a red flag.

Which is not all that suprising considering former Scuderia Ferrari press officer Alberto Antonini works for them  :p

(And if you read him in Formula Passion, this press release from MIM sounds like him)

Edited by FLB, 12 August 2023 - 11:07.

Advertisement

#40 AntSinistra

AntSinistra

• 12 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 11:09

Speculation that Honda has provided a link to AM to eventually replace Fernando.

MIM also presumes that Honda intervened in an attempt to keep Alex Palou, and there could be promises of F1 development with Aston Martin once Honda becomes Aston's engine supplier. But it is all just a guess because all communication has ceased.

https://twitter.com/...QXuwIgwGZA&s=19

#41 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,486 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 11:10

Genius from Honda if true.

#42 southernstars

southernstars

• 2,208 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 11:14

There have also been some reports that McLaren have advanced part of his salary, which is going to get VERY messy if true.

#43 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 11:15

Isn't that just Honda doing a Zak Brown and dangling an F1 carrot in front of him?

#44 davidbuckden

davidbuckden

• 133 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 11:16

Regarding the latest about Palou and lapse of his 'contract' with McLaren - I understand that the CGR money must be very tempting, but I do hope the new agreement will allow Alex to establish another parallel F1 team-working association. I imagine that his expectation of a McLaren F1 seat had diminished since Piastri's recent races had shown just what a talent he is - along with many people's positive evaluation of Norris's potential. But I for one would like to see Palou in F1 in '24 - I believe that Piastri vs. Palou could well be the 'next big thing!'

#45 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,486 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 11:17

There have also been some reports that McLaren have advanced part of his salary, which is going to get VERY messy if true.

Why? Palou gives it back with interest and McLaren move on. Anything else is potentially destabilising for McLaren internally as well as externally in the IndyCar paddock.

#46 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,843 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 11:18

Yep, the AP says that Zak Brown included this detail in his letter to McLaren staff

#47 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,529 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 11:21

There is a contract in place, we always hear how they can be broken, and yes they naturally can, at a cost - Though the whole Piastri saga showed a team thinking they had a contract, did not. So either McLaren do not have a contract, there is an out, or Palou is ready to pay a lot for breaking a contract - Which I guess mean he will be in F1 next season.

But I have been wrong before.

#48 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,980 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 11:21

Considering the contract shenanigans last year involving Palou, Piastri and Alonso I would be shocked if Zak Brown did NOT have a water tight contract with Palou. Also Browns statement that the first contractual payment towards the 2024 contract has been made seems to indicate this.

I'm in for the pop corn and cola on this.

#49 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,486 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 11:23

Isn't that just Honda doing a Zak Brown and dangling an F1 carrot in front of him?

Potentially. But it's a much better outcome for Palou to be "stuck" at Ganassi than Arrow McLaren. With Alonso aging and Stroll underperforming (yes, I know - his father owns the team), it is surely more plausible for him to land a seat there than McLaren. Especially with this pre-existing successful relationship with Honda.

#50 red stick

red stick

• 14,129 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 11:29

Contract or no, if the document, agreement, or understanding is based on some underlying assumptions that no longer apply, or appear to no longer be in the interests of one of the parties, well, that's what money's for.  Which appears to be where we are here.  Trying to find a moral angle here is a mistake.  It really is just business.