Photo

AC Ace (Bristol) - BEX1160 - ex Grossman/ ex Wetanson family car - further US history nearly unknown - who can help?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Alec

Alec

• 4 posts

Posted 18 August 2023 - 17:51

Dear all car affficionados,

I allow myself to say a quick hello to you. I am the owner of a nice AC Ace - bex1160 - which was delivered as a white car from the GB works in June 1960 to well known racedriver and AC importer Bob Grossmann. After this the roots disappear until 1987, when the car - now green & golden stripes and beige ostrich Interieur and ford v8 - was registered to brother in law of famous car collector herb wetanson. (Joachim springer, the brother of famous Karl springer furniture design married the duster of herb wetanson - and the news ostrich upholstery has been made in the springer facilities).
It is believed by friends of the springer family that the car came from Ralph Lauren.
I asked the Ralph Lauren collection management, and I was told that Ralph Lauren himself does not remember this car as one of his collection, but he told it could have been one for a advertisement campaign (colourwise RL polo fragrance would fit,…).
I still do have photos and the road registration from 1987.
but no price if its life before.
My wish would be to close the gap between delivery to bob grossman and the springer/wetanson Times in the late 80‘s.
I don’t have indications for a potential Motorsport history, no modifications found. The only thing is, that the car had a cobra v8 installed when it was sold by wetanson family.
Maybe these little more background info help to open another little door.
Thank you very much in advance for your support - here from Germany it’s nearly impossible to dig in the depth of us car history.
Kindest regards, Alexander