* * * - - 6 votes

2023 Singapore GP build up

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1114 replies to this topic

#1 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,685 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 15:36

F1 bids farewell to Europe and begins an octuplet of flyaway races to round out the season, starting with an Asian double-header in Sparkling Singapore.

The original Night Race has seen minor tweaks and circuit modifications since its inception, and this year sees a (temporary) simplification of the twisty third sector. After last year's weather disruption, the forecast is set fair to allow the drivers to really attack the new layout in classic street-circuit style, but will record-breaking Red Bull be toppled?

For extra intrigue, there's a new technical directive in force to monitor excessively flexible aero parts, and coupled with the unique layout and constant stream of updates, keep your eyes peeled for the ups and downs in the ever-changing competitive order.

It's Round 15 of the 2023 FIA Formula One World Championship!

Singapore-GP2023.jpg

Sgp-Circuit2023.png

Musings for Marina Bay

After securing the individual win record in Italy, focus now shifts to whether Red Bull can complete the clean sweep of victories in 2023. Memories of a Monaco near-miss will buoy rival teams, as will Red Bull's one-lap flaws and apparent weakness at higher downforce tracks. A perfect 1-2, coupled with a no-score from Mercedes, will clinch the constructors' title, but this is very unlikely. Verstappen will want to avenge his bizarre 2022 race, while Perez's "street circuit king" reputation has somewhat faded after Miami and Monaco - it's his 250th GP start, worthy of celebration.

Rivals Mercedes are likely best placed to pounce on any RB faults, as their high-downforce and slow corner prowess come to the fore. Russell rebounded well in Monza after a patchy run of races, while Hamilton seems to be in his own patchy run of late. Ones to watch.

Ferrari's valiant Monza effort didn't win any points, but plenty of heart after a battling weekend. The Scuderia should fare well at least in qualifying, such is the SF-23's responsiveness on one lap. Leclerc is aiming for a third consecutive Singapore pole, while Sainz is starting to build a head of steam after a strong return from the break.

Earlier in the season Aston Martin would have been seen as genuine contenders at a street track, but less so these days. Nonetheless, Alonso's performance at a high-downforce Zandvoort was encouraging, and the much-rumoured new front wing is set to debut this weekend. Will it be enough for Fernando to fend off Hamilton in the WDC, or even challenge Verstappen for victory?

McLaren will be glad to see the back of the drag-sensitive tracks after some tricky races. Another trendy livery arrives alongside rumoured upgrades, hopefully enough for Norris and Piastri to fight at the front. A hint of teammate tension?

Elsewhere, Alpine will be aiming for a Singapore Surprise after Ocon and Gasly's podiums in Monaco and Zandvoort. Williams will consider Monza "mission accomplished" after building a solid cushion to the chasing backmarker pack, albeit rumours continue around Sargeant's future. Alfa Romeo's solitary point in Monza sees them close in on the treading-water Haas team. Finally, the Tsunoda/Lawson/Ricciardo story continues at Alpha Tauri, who were strong at Monaco and have shown good pace at street tracks all year, notwithstanding another (!!) scheduled upgrade, definitely dark horses for a point or two.

Tyres and Weather

Singapore-Pirelli23.jpg

It's the second GP in a row for the softest C3-4-5 compounds, but at a completely different track. The layout changes in sector 3 should reduce rear limitation. It's a "normal" weekend i.e. no ATA or sprint, so nice and straightforward. Front pressures the same vs 2022, rear pressures +1.0psi.

Fri - 31C/88F, dry

Sat - 29C/84F, dry

Sun - 29C/84F, dry

Singapore forecasts always promise deluges, but from where I'm sitting it looks fairly settled, maybe rain overnight Saturday into Sunday to wash the track. Hot and humid as usual.

Schedule

BST     CEST 
FP1     1030    1130
FP2     1400    1500
FP3     1030    1130
Q       1400    1500
R       1300    1400

Convert to my time zone

Thailand Super Series and Porsche Carrera Cup Asia supporting, full schedule.

--

It's a relatively quiet weekend in the racing calendar, so many of us will have to make do with ye olde faithful, thoughts and predictions welcome below :)

Edited by TomNokoe, 13 September 2023 - 15:38.

Advertisement

#2 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,123 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 15:42

I forgot about the track changes until I read about it last week. What were the reasons for it (too lazy to Google)?

Not sure it'll make much difference mind...it's quite a fiddly final sector and I kind of like that.

#3 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,829 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 15:43

I forgot about the track changes until I read about it last week. What were the reasons for it (too lazy to Google)?

Not sure it'll make much difference mind...it's quite a fiddly final sector and I kind of like that.

Local construction projects make the old track layout not viable. 

Edited by ARTGP, 13 September 2023 - 15:44.

#4 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,123 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 15:44

Oh...and my yearly petition to bring back the 'Singapore Sling' chicane.  :smoking:

#5 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,123 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 15:45

Local construction projects make the old track layout not viable. 

Construction projects in a city where they're hosting an F1 race?

Selfish b*stards!

#6 LolaB0860

LolaB0860

• 1,860 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 15:49

Once again I'm left wishing they'd run this race in the sunset, instead of the night-for-day illumination. It's nothing special anymore with the diluted, boring ME night races filling the calendar, and also it'd look way better as Singapore in the daylight is very tidy and modern.

Also the track changes, does it mean it's no longer the almost-always-2h-timed-race? Do they speed it up...

Edited by LolaB0860, 13 September 2023 - 15:50.

#7 Laster

Laster

• 3,938 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 15:49

I’m struggling to understand why the didn’t put a DRS along the new second longest straight. Too late to install a detection point? Not enough run off at the end?

#8 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,829 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 15:50

Once again I'm left wishing they'd run this race in the sunset, instead of the night-for-day illumination. It's nothing special anymore with the diluted night races filling the calendar, and also it'd look better as Singapore in the daylight is very tidy and modern.

Also the track changes, does it mean it's no longer the almost-always-2h-timed-race?

The circuit is rumored to be 20 seconds a lap quicker. They should finish long before 2hrs. 

#9 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,875 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 16:06

Can this season just end pleaseeeeee!

#10 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 62,036 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 16:13

Anyone got a comparison of the new and old layouts handy? It looks the same to me, which is to say like a street circuit.

#11 LolaB0860

LolaB0860

• 1,860 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 16:13

Can this season just end pleaseeeeee!

But it's only middle of September and we barely have 8 weekends left this year when we can hear

"Hahaha that was fun guys"

"And it's the old switcheroo"

"They will need FULL SAFETY CAR to remove that car I think"

#12 genius83

genius83

• 200 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 16:19

How many laps will be added? 4 or 5?

#13 genius83

genius83

• 200 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 16:20

Anyone got a comparison of the new and old layouts handy? It looks the same to me, which is to say like a street circuit.

This should work

https://www.google.c...QAAAAAdAAAAABAD

#14 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,685 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 16:22

Lol, the right-left-left-right sequence that ran under the grandstand has been changed to a straight. The only memorable moment I can think of from this complex is that it's where Piquet binned it!!

The official F1 game has already updated the track, so you can see it virtually here.

#15 ANF

ANF

• 29,618 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 16:26

Why does the Pirelli track map have four sectors?

Edit: Never mind, I understand the graphics now. Not very... good.

Edited by ANF, 13 September 2023 - 16:29.

#16 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,685 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 16:30

I am very glad for the track change anyhow. The previous sector 3 killed the rear tyres for practically no benefit, which hurt overall competitiveness, field spread and ability to follow.

The simpler version will help the worse cars be less uncompetitive, if you see what I mean? And following/field spread etc should be much better, which might help a chasing car into the two DRS zones on start/finish and in S1.

#17 ANF

ANF

• 29,618 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 16:39

Lol, the right-left-left-right sequence that ran under the grandstand has been changed to a straight. The only memorable moment I can think of from this complex is that it's where Piquet binned it!!

The official F1 game has already updated the track, so you can see it virtually here.

Pérez vs Sirotkin was quite memorable too...

#18 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,440 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 16:40

How many laps will be added? 4 or 5?

Just one

#19 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,685 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 16:40

Oh I forgot, this is also the first weekend of Williams' special Gulf livery!

Gulf-Williams-2023-Livery.jpg

Running in Japan and Qatar, too.

Advertisement

#20 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,440 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 16:55

Here's a picture of Genius83's link. I was getting a strange redirect that some may be reluctant to follow.

Screenshot-2023-09-13-175029.png

#21 genius83

genius83

• 200 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 17:24

Just one

Thankyou :up:

#22 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,728 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 17:25

That's too bad imho. IIRC the previous T16 that they're straight-lining this year has been the site of a lot of action & mistakes in years past.

#23 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,875 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 17:27

It’s not a permanent change. It’s there to allow for local construction work.

Assuming it doesn’t dramatically increase the prevalence of actual racing, will be back to the ‘old’ config from 2026.

#24 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,829 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 17:29

I think that straight will be too short to see as an overtaking spot unless someone gets an absolutely howler of an exit, but as TomNokoe said, it will reduce the time loss of the following car so you have a better chance to stay close until the 2nd DRS zone on the first half of the next lap. 

Edited by ARTGP, 13 September 2023 - 17:30.

#25 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,711 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 17:30

I’m disappointed that the circuit change is only temporary. I thought it was here to stay. I hope they change their minds. This circuit has too many 90 degree corners, and the Piquet Dogleg didn’t add anything to the circuit.

#26 ANF

ANF

• 29,618 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 17:34

I think that straight will be too short to see as an overtaking spot unless someone gets an absolutely howler of an exit, but as TomNokoe said, it will reduce the time loss of the following car so you have a better chance to stay close until the 2nd DRS zone on the first half of the next lap.

Tiny mistakes in T14 are going to be costly now though.

#27 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 13,016 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 18:05

The circuit is rumored to be 20 seconds a lap quicker. They should finish long before 2hrs. 

7 seconds according to that sim run.

#28 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,829 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 18:09

Yes I just checked and the 20 seconds reference apparently comes from Leclerc's wet pole lap last season. I missed that part originally. It makes no sense to use 20 seconds. 

Edited by ARTGP, 13 September 2023 - 18:10.

#29 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,685 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 18:25

Yes I just checked and the 20 seconds reference apparently comes from Leclerc's wet pole lap last season. I missed that part originally. It makes no sense to use 20 seconds.

Lol, easily done! I wonder what the biggest laptime deficit is as a result of a layout change? Abu Dhabi chopped off 13 seconds in 2021.

Of course you can argue something like Hockenheimring but that takes us into Ship of Theseus territory.

#30 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,123 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 18:35

Lol, easily done! I wonder what the biggest laptime deficit is as a result of a layout change? Abu Dhabi chopped off 13 seconds in 2021.

Of course you can argue something like Hockenheimring but that takes us into Ship of Theseus territory.

Nurburgring?  :D

#31 Grippy

Grippy

• 435 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 19:16

<snip>.

TIL there's a phrase for grandma's broom :D

#32 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,560 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 19:20

One can only hope MSN is correct

"The Singapore Grand Prix weekend could feature rain at various points. The forecast warns of potential thunderstorms on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, but the percentage of precipitation is around the 50% mark. It's also unclear when exactly the rain will fall. The forecast will become more accurate as the week progresses, so keep an eye out for updates."

giphy-downsized-large.gif

#33 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,728 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 20:37

As we've seen before, it rarely rains to affect the track action here. That's just the fact of where and when (time of year and time of day) we race in Singapore.

If nothing else, it won't be anything like last year where I'm sure they delayed the start procedure by at least an hour, over an hour before the race was due to start

#34 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,875 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 20:39

They should run this in the day now. The city looks so much better in the daylight on TV, and night races are no longer special.

The new section is meh, luckily only temporary. I do like the endurance aspect of this race, which will be missing a bit this year (I also believe Monaco should go back to the full 310km like every other race).

However, I do always enjoy this weekend and it will be interesting to see if the tech clarifications make any difference. I predict Red Bull will still be fastest.

#35 southernstars

southernstars

• 2,224 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 23:53

As we've seen before, it rarely rains to affect the track action here. That's just the fact of where and when (time of year and time of day) we race in Singapore.

If nothing else, it won't be anything like last year where I'm sure they delayed the start procedure by at least an hour, over an hour before the race was due to start

That was ridiculous, particularly given a large part of the hour was so that the wannabe celebs could do their gridwalk.

That said, last year also showed the FIA that this track dries FAST, so hopefully they will take that lesson forward to this year.

#36 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,822 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 00:19

I’m disappointed that the circuit change is only temporary. I thought it was here to stay. I hope they change their minds. This circuit has too many 90 degree corners, and the Piquet Dogleg didn’t add anything to the circuit.

Ita got the yabbi dabbi curse of way too many meaningless corners

#37 Ragamuffin

Ragamuffin

• 562 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 03:11

I'm all for officially renaming parts of circuits that are remembered for the wrong reasons - Rosberg Runoff instead of Mirabeau, Ham Slam for Copse, Verstappen Straight for turn 4 at Interlagos... you get the idea.

Edited by Ragamuffin, 14 September 2023 - 08:43.

#38 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,462 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 04:36

Probably the worst track on the calendar right now

#39 LolaB0860

LolaB0860

• 1,860 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 06:12

That said, last year also showed the FIA that this track dries FAST, so hopefully they will take that lesson forward to this year.

eye-roll-meme.gif

Edited by LolaB0860, 14 September 2023 - 06:12.

Advertisement

#40 Ellios

Ellios

• 3,070 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 07:08

Singapore is hot, obvious I know but it will be physically tough even for young fit drivers of F1. 

Good luck everyone. 

Edited by Ellios, 14 September 2023 - 07:10.

#41 Beri

Beri

• 11,683 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 07:29

No thats Abu Dhabi.

#42 AlexS

AlexS

• 6,346 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 08:03

Ferrari's valiant Monza effort didn't win any points

This may lead some readers to wrong conclusion.

Edited by AlexS, 14 September 2023 - 08:09.

#43 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,711 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 10:33

Verstappen Straight for turn 4 at Interlagos....

No doubt for Jos idiotically taking out Montoya in 2001.

#44 Scotracer

Scotracer
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,773 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 10:34

With the changes, it should be significantly better - the part with the chicane under the grandstand always felt extra Micky Mouse to me.

#45 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 62,036 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 10:45

Trigger's broom!

#46 LolaB0860

LolaB0860

• 1,860 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 11:04

No thats Abu Dhabi.

It actually gives me some comfort that nothing else can ever be as boring and sterile as Abu Dhabi.

#47 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,880 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 11:05

No doubt for Jos idiotically taking out Montoya in 2001.

I've got some interesting back-story to that incident, remind when the Brazil GP comes around to write about it.

#48 Garagista

Garagista

• 1,222 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 11:06

But it's only middle of September and we barely have 8 weekends left this year when we can hear

"Hahaha that was fun guys"

"And it's the old switcheroo"

"They will need FULL SAFETY CAR to remove that car I think"

and

"Hold on Martin, If the Moon in the seventh house and Jupiter is align with Mars, we might have a fight for the lead in the tail end of the race, so hold on, while this is all planning out...." to s Calm end of the race with Max by 15sec after "cutting the engine" 20 laps to the end

Edited by Garagista, 14 September 2023 - 11:06.

#49 WOT

WOT

• 1,701 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 11:17

Sorry, are you saying that the race should finish 7 seconds before the 2 hour limit?     ;)

#50 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,875 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 11:34

Yr.no shows the biggest risk of rain this weekend is Sunday evening. Though take that with a pinch of salt, as tropics rainfall forecasts are generally not very reliable. 

Edited by JimmyClark, 14 September 2023 - 11:34.