Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Now that the season's over, how do you feel?

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

Poll: Now that the season's over, how do you feel? (136 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel?

1. Relieved. Finally, they have become too long/busy (75 votes [49.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 49.34%

2. Glad. Looking forward to some weekends without having to watch racing (32 votes [21.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.05%

3. Indifferent. A few months off or a few more races, I'd be fine with both (21 votes [13.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.82%

4. Sad. I could do with some more races (15 votes [9.87%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.87%

5. Impatient/Mad. There's shouldn't be breaks this long (9 votes [5.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.92%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 JL14

JL14

• 911 posts

Posted 26 November 2023 - 21:38

With both the Formula 1 and MotoGP seasons having finished today, how do you feel about the prospect of a good 3 months without racing?

I have to say this is the first time I'm happy to get a break from it. Whether that's because of how the season panned out or how busy they were with the amount and extra sprint races, I don't really know.

While MotoGP had some great races at the end that I really enjoyed, for F1 I have just been watching them 'in fear of missing out' but I wasn't that bothered anymore. 

So yeah, for now I'm happy it's over. But probably in a few weeks I'll be getting excited about the new season and can't wait for the launches and testing.

Edited by JL14, 26 November 2023 - 21:40.

Advertisement

#2 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 5,085 posts

Posted 26 November 2023 - 21:41

Daytona is just around the corner!

#3 Speedometer

Speedometer

• 205 posts

Posted 26 November 2023 - 21:48

Glad to have a break from F1, but also feel a little disheartened.  Max pulling 17s today is a reminder of how far behind the other teams still are..... as Lewis pointed out, this is even without RB bringing an upgrade since August.  Deflated that it's going to be more of the  same relentless  RB domination next year, with not even an ounce of a fight at the front. :down:

Edited by Speedometer, 26 November 2023 - 21:49.

#4 cbo

cbo

• 906 posts

Posted 26 November 2023 - 21:57

Some where between glad and sad.

On one hand, there really are too many races, on the other, if they have 22 races, why not make it 26 and have one every other weekend year round.

Now, I think the winter break is too short and the double headers during a long season are a bit too much. It is an unsatisfactory mix.

#5 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 70,459 posts

Posted 26 November 2023 - 22:00

More things affect how I feel than the fact that F1 season is over.

That said, agree with Showty, who said in another thread that there are far too many races and far too many mediocre tracks.

Edited by Zmeej, 26 November 2023 - 22:01.

#6 basimi

basimi

• 574 posts

Posted 26 November 2023 - 22:01

Boring, give me 2021 back ;-)

#7 Collombin

Collombin

• 9,205 posts

Posted 26 November 2023 - 22:01

End of season = start of countdown thread 👍

#8 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 50,024 posts

Posted 26 November 2023 - 22:04

I need an F1 season that’s about 16 races and lasts from March to October.

#9 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 12,370 posts

Posted 26 November 2023 - 22:15

Sweet sweet relief...

#10 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,483 posts

Posted 26 November 2023 - 23:19

- Relieve because there just are too many races

- Sad because we will see no new teams, no new drivers and as it seems not even driver movements (maybe tiny change Williams could still replace Sargeant). A season starting with every driver in the same team as the final race of the previous season is sadly an absolute new low point in F1 history. Driver movements and new things to look out for (new drivers, new team) is what made the start of a new year so fun to look out for. Now I care less as I ever did.

- Glad that Sauber will at least be called Sauber again (in '24 & '25) since Alfa Romeo was just a sponsor and one that didn't even pay that much to earn the right for the team to use it's name imho (+-25 million$)

- Anoyed that AlphaTauri will most likely get a new, and from the rumours we've heard, likely ridiculous name ("Racing Bulls + two sponsor names , really? Racing Bulls sounds like an NBA team name, not like an F1 team), I fear the team's new livery will be much less stylish as the black & white liveries AlphaTauri has had (which were better as Red Bull liveries imho)

- Curious to see the new colour scheme Sauber will adapt but also sad to see the gorgeous Alfa Romeo livery go

- Sad to see another season start with no new team on the grid and with Andretti still excluded but the child-like mega-ego team bosses (the likes of Horner, Wolff & co)de

- Glad to see us edging a bit closer to 2026, hoping the new rules then will shake up the pecking order then. By then we may have my favourite driver (he is since I saw him drive in karts, aged just 13 years old: I knew I saw a special talent that day) Andrea Kimi Antonelli, in F1 by then: I look forward to that, I have been since he was 13....

#11 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 18,224 posts

Posted 26 November 2023 - 23:31

Krap and William have nailed it. Relief.

#12 Muzzyf1

Muzzyf1

• 1,538 posts

Posted 26 November 2023 - 23:45

I really don't get the ones voting for I'm glad it's over etc I'm sorry but you lot are not F1 fans casual observers it seems.

This is coming from a long suffering f1 fan who gets up at 12 midnight to watch races go to work with 3 hours sleep or get up at 4 in the morning to watch usa races .

#13 FLB

FLB

• 32,821 posts

Posted 26 November 2023 - 23:48

Asian Le Mans Series starts next week :)

#14 HerbieMcQueen

HerbieMcQueen

• 1,586 posts

Posted 26 November 2023 - 23:49

F1 has fundamentally changed for me, so pretty relieved. Before next season rolls around there'll be Daytona and a couple of WRC events at least, which always make the winter for me. I'll be back next season I'm sure.

#15 P123

P123

• 24,891 posts

Posted 26 November 2023 - 23:52

Relief, given that AD is a race to be endured.  A season that went on for four or five races too long.

#16 azza200

azza200

• 1,089 posts

Posted 26 November 2023 - 23:53

and Dubai 

#17 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,224 posts

Posted 26 November 2023 - 23:59

Horrifyingly boring season, can't even count how many times I've abandoned races shortly after the start when it became obvious they'll end up with essentially the same result.

#18 JeanAlesi27

JeanAlesi27

• 1,409 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 00:06

Complaining about an F1 season...  these people must complain when they go to the grocery store because they have to eat.    I love F1... More races means more f1... period.   If it's redundant

for some people -  I guess I am just a different breed.   Been like that since the late 80's..   Racing is GOOD!@!!

#19 Primo

Primo

• 2,678 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 00:13

We were watching history being made, achievements to never be surpassed in F1. I hope. I hope, because while I did enjoyed the mastery of Verstappen and Red Bull, I do not want another season like this, ever. There has been dominance before, but the incredible consistency of Verstappen either crushed or simply grinded down all opposition in a manner that became as predictable as a sunset, or a Monday. It was beautiful in many ways but once is enough.   

Advertisement

#20 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 70,459 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 00:27

Complaining about an F1 season...  these people must complain when they go to the grocery store because they have to eat.

People who can't afford to go to the grocery store when they're hungry couldn't give a rat's ass about F1.

More races means more f1...   Been like that since the late 80's.. 

Hmmm. Looks to me like either you lived through a different 1980s-to-the-turn-of-the-century than I did, or we consumed different stupefactants. :stoned:

Edited by Zmeej, 27 November 2023 - 00:31.

#21 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 34,817 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 01:01

There is a very small part of me that hopes Red Bull start next season even more dominant than this. It would put the sport in a tricky spot.

I know we've had very long periods of dominance before, but this type of ultra-dominance is different, and I'd be very interested in the wider reaction in Bahrain should the collective media and fanbase realise 2024 will be more of the same.

#22 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,737 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 01:05

There is a very small part of me that hopes Red Bull start next season even more dominant than this. It would put the sport in a tricky spot.

I know we've had very long periods of dominance before, but this type of ultra-dominance is different, and I'd be very interested in the wider reaction in Bahrain should the collective media and fanbase realise 2024 will be more of the same.

Hi, this is how the rest of us felt when Lewis had a spaceship, thanks.

#23 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 31,068 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 01:06

From 2017-2022, the driver who won the first race didn't win the championship. So I don't think we can overreact to Bahrain. 

Edited by ARTGP, 27 November 2023 - 01:08.

#24 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 34,817 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 01:32

I suppose so, but when you consider the various Rosberg/Ferrari challenges you can argue Hamilton never had two straightforward seasons in consecutive years, apart from maybe 2020 following 2019.

From 2017-2022, the driver who won the first race didn't win the championship. So I don't think we can overreact to Bahrain.

Of course, but I would love to see the panic!

Edited by TomNokoe, 27 November 2023 - 01:33.

#25 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 40,867 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 01:40

In mid July I decided to take my health seriously, I've lost 17 kilos, some if that is because I walk 4km each morning. What's my point? Podcasts. Between missed apex and the Race podcasts that's about 4 mornings worth of listening as I fast walk my way through thr neighborhood. NRL was the other sport but their season is done roo, so what do I listen to?

#26 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 9,016 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 02:07

In mid July I decided to take my health seriously, I've lost 17 kilos, some if that is because I walk 4km each morning. What's my point? Podcasts. Between missed apex and the Race podcasts that's about 4 mornings worth of listening as I fast walk my way through thr neighborhood. NRL was the other sport but their season is done roo, so what do I listen to?

Bring back V10s
Rewatchables
Mystery Hour with James O’Brien

Edited by FirstnameLastname, 27 November 2023 - 02:07.

#27 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 13,912 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 02:10

With both the Formula 1 and MotoGP seasons having finished today, how do you feel about the prospect of a good 3 months without racing?

I have to say this is the first time I'm happy to get a break from it. Whether that's because of how the season panned out or how busy they were with the amount and extra sprint races, I don't really know.

While MotoGP had some great races at the end that I really enjoyed, for F1 I have just been watching them 'in fear of missing out' but I wasn't that bothered anymore. 

So yeah, for now I'm happy it's over. But probably in a few weeks I'll be getting excited about the new season and can't wait for the launches and testing.

it's been too long of a season. Hard to commit to seeing all races with no spoilers (managed that, but had to plan around it).

Need a break and the anticipation of seeing car launches, new cars on track and guessing pecking order.

Can I say that Mercedes are sandbagging in testing? :D. Just wanted to be the first one that claims that lol

#28 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 9,016 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 02:10

- Sad because we will see no new teams, no new drivers and as it seems not even driver movements (maybe tiny change Williams could still replace Sargeant). A season starting with every driver in the same team as the final race of the previous season is sadly an absolute new low point in F1 history. Driver movements and new things to look out for (new drivers, new team) is what made the start of a new year so fun to look out for. Now I care less as I ever did.

Ooft. Hadn’t realised this….

2024 set to be a carbon copy of 23. Can’t see any teams overhauling too much with the new cars. Cost cap really limits what’s possible

#29 Gravelngrass

Gravelngrass

• 1,957 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 02:13

Kind of relieved for F1, sad for Motogp. With all their new problems, ironically many brought on by apparently not seeing what F1 has done wrong before, Motogp is still a better racing series. Blablabla you can’t compare them…yes I can if I have to allocate my limited time to decide what racing I watch. Although the final two rounds were highly disappointing and the champion not very worthy IMO, as a racing spectacle it stands above F1, at least for now.

F1 has been carrying too many problems they seem unable\unwilling to shake and it simply has turned the series into something that is frequently too frustrating to endure. It’s sad because it has so much potential.

Even the offseason and testing of Motogp will be more exciting than the F1, with little change expected from this season to the next in terms of teams, drivers and performance. I hope I’m wrong though because when F1 works, it’s a great thing to be a fan of.

#30 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 40,867 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 02:18

Bring back V10s
Rewatchables
Mystery Hour with James O’Brien

Will google Rewatchables and not a fan of mystery. BB V10's, I dunno, it's OK but they repeat a lot of stuff and sort of stretch out discussion points forever. I can't quite warm to it. 

#31 RPM40

RPM40

• 14,425 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 03:07

I’ve followed f1 for a long time but this season is the first season I’ve felt my interest really reduce. I have turned off some races before the end.

People point to Mercedes dominance but in their super dominant years you had Hamilton vs Rosberg and other seasons Ferrari were a credible threat. Even during the past Red Bull dominance you had other teams that genuinely threatened them.

This year the races are basically procession that you know the outcome prior to the end. There never feels like any real threat to that outcome. Perez is miles off the threat of a Rosberg and I suspect is even much weaker than Bottas.

With the budget cap and the nature of the cars it doesn’t really feel like much will change anytime soon.

Verstappen no doubt drove very well, but him winning against drivers in inferior cars against a team mate who frequently doesn’t even qualify too 5 doesn’t really showcase his talent.

#32 Gyan

Gyan

• 1,250 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 05:43

Like I'm done with the sport for good because of how uncompetitive it is. The last time I felt like this was in mid-2004. Luckily for me, the next few years ended up being a golden era in terms of competitiveness. 

The most frustrating part for me is with F1's newfound/rise in popularity, if we had another spell like 05-12, F1 would become a household fixture and cement itself as the number two sport behind soccer/football globally. And it frustrates me even more that Liberty, despite being a corporation who only care about the bottom line, cannot see this. Instead, they do nothing but shove sprint races down our throats. 

#33 jonklug

jonklug

• 2,156 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 05:48

I always want more races and cannot wait for March of next year but at the same time I fully understand that everyone in F1 deserve their break - that isn't even that long considering the work they need to put in over the winter to create the new cars, then launching them, testing them and getting ready for next season. So taking in account all the appreciation I have for everyone working in F1, I am fine with waiting the 3 months even though I will miss it quite a lot during this period. 

Edited by jonklug, 27 November 2023 - 12:21.

#34 LolaB0860

LolaB0860

• 2,417 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 06:18

But we already know the series wouldn't try patching it with logic (fixing the cost-cap, removing stupid anti-dilution cartel scheme, less spec parts etc) but instead recommend more lame cheapness (balance of performance "because it works sooooooo well in WEC", reverse grid sprints, even cheesier tires etc). So the "reaction" to it would be pointless.

It was a boring season at the front (thankfully not so elsewhere in constructors) and next season is likely to be the same thanks to these regulations, but it could be so much worse if dirty hands start touching them more out of desperation.

Edited by LolaB0860, 27 November 2023 - 06:23.

#35 RSRally

RSRally

• 2,167 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 07:11

The length of the off season is fine but there are too many races during the season, even discounting the sprint races.

I have still watched all the main races this year but I watch on C4 and as I don't personally take the sprint races too seriously I did skip the Saturday programme a few times this year as I already knew the qualifying result for the proper race by then.

I've also just got Sky again (but not Sky F1) and found the 1hr race highlights on Showcase to be enough yesterday as opposed to C4s 2.5 hours. Might do that more next year.

#36 P123

P123

• 24,891 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 07:58

Hi, thanks for your short revelatory message.  The rest of us would never have known that, until now. Thanks again.  :lol:

#37 Heyli

Heyli
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,431 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 08:09

I feel like I can do with a break, but still 3 months feels like a long break. Well deserved for the drivers and crew though.

#38 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 6,033 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 08:10

I always feel a little deflated after the end of an F1 season and despite Max’s dominance, I kinda feel the same this year too. 

What worries me is that next year looks likely to be a carbon copy of this year, I just can’t see the teams catching up enough to trouble Max. At the very most, they might take 2nd off Checo. Driver line up is static, so no surprises there.

If Max wins Bahrain by 20s+ it’s going to be a real kick in the stomach.

#39 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 10,132 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 08:11

Really happy it’s over and looking forward to the long break. Been a really horrid season.

Actually feel quite exhausted following this season.

Edited by ConsiderAndGo, 27 November 2023 - 08:12.

Advertisement

#40 messy

messy

• 7,880 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 08:19

Personal opinion - I follow pretty much every series over the course of any year but F1 and MotoGP are my big ones, sometimes one of them is great and one of them isn't, and that's fine - but I feel like F1 was so bad this year that it's a bit troubling - by the end of this season I just have no appetite for it left, in fact I'd run out weeks ago. I watched the MotoGP finale yesterday then listened to the MotoGP podcast this morning on my way to work, F1 I'm just not interested, it's been so damn boring.

But I'm not just saying that in the predictable "F1 sucks watch Indycar" type context, I'm saying that out of genuine concern for where F1 and my love of F1 is headed, with all these endless races that play out the same, the way the sport is governed, the way the rules are applied, the way dominance breeds dominance, the emphasis on creating social media intrigue over genuine racing action, all these Middle East events, the sprint weekends....I want this love affair to rekindle, I don't want to get a divorce!!

#41 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 12,460 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 08:41

messy sums it up nicely for me: I'm not oversaturated with motorsport, but I am oversaturated with F1. The title was a foregone conclusion after Miami, and the interesting battles behind Red Bull were overshadowed by the poor and inconsistent management of driving standards. On top of this, the season was too damn long, with so many mediocre circuits on the calendar now.

#42 Acathla

Acathla

• 693 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 09:05

The Merc years were still worse than the RB domination. At least behind Max there is actual racing. Lewis was driving circles around everybody and was still complaining about tires. It was a hell to watch. 

#43 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 5,636 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 09:07

The Merc years were still worse than the RB domination. At least behind Max there is actual racing. Lewis was driving circles around everybody and was still complaining about tires. It was a hell to watch.

Yeah I tend to agree, there has been decent racing this year behind Max and predicting results has been nigh on impossible after P1. I think this domination feels easier to stomach than Mercedes' as at least Red Bull are honest about it - whereas the constant "toughest race ever" vibes from Hamilton and Mercedes after yet another crushing victory got very wearing after a while.

#44 Hrco42

Hrco42

• 410 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 09:29

I don't get people voting glad and especially relieved. Like, is somebody holding you at gunpoint while you watch races? If you don't enjoy watching that many races maybe, you know... don't watch them? At least not all of them. Contrary to what the "Glad" option is suggesting, you don't actually HAVE to watch every race. You should watch the races when you have time and when you feel like it, like I do. That's why I don't feel there are too many races, nor do I complain about the number of sprints, nor would I mind if we had 52 races and 52 sprints every year. I would watch the races I want and when I had something else to do, I would skip them.

#45 Sparky68

Sparky68

• 1,207 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 09:35

4 races per year would be ideal  :wave:

Seriously though, it's a very long season now ,too long.

#46 Ruusperi

Ruusperi

• 3,756 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 09:37

Feeling tired. I think the season should have ended in Suzuka (if Interlagos would take place in Spring). The rest were just fillers that I watched due to feeling obliged to do so by having paid for F1TV.

#47 1player

1player

• 1,964 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 09:38

@Hcro42 What a silly argument. How do you know a race is good before watching it? One watches a race, hoping for some excitement, and this season there was none. Is that so hard to understand?

And it is possible to be glad a good thing is over. I like cake, but too much cake gives me a stomachache. 22 races is exactly like that.

Edited by 1player, 27 November 2023 - 09:38.

#48 Ruusperi

Ruusperi

• 3,756 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 09:43

I don't get people voting glad and especially relieved. Like, is somebody holding you at gunpoint while you watch races? If you don't enjoy watching that many races maybe, you know... don't watch them?

There's always this argument: "Don't watch". But people don't undefstand F1 is a serious addiction. Like a drug I've been taking for 25 years. I can't decide to stop watching. I can't, I must watch, because the next race might turn out to be the greatest race of the century. I can't take a risk of missing it. That's why I'm forced to wake up to watch races I don't even care about at all. It's a mental disease.

Plus there's no cure for this addiction. Unless, of course, Liberty Media announce reverse grids or something worse. Then I'm instantly cured. ;)

#49 Hrco42

Hrco42

• 410 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 09:55

@Hcro42 What a silly argument. How do you know a race is good before watching it? One watches a race, hoping for some excitement, and this season there was none. Is that so hard to understand?

And it is possible to be glad a good thing is over. I like cake, but too much cake gives me a stomachache. 22 races is exactly like that.

I'm sorry but if you watched 22 races and there was no excitement for you, there's something wrong with you. Just stop watching it then. Yes, eventually you'll miss a good race but so what. I'm not gonna eat 50 turds hoping one of them will taste good. Or just have the TV on and do something else, and if the race turns out to be good, start watching it actively. That's what I usually do, watch the start and than drift away.

And anyway, I was talking more about MotoGP actually, which had a really good season and a lot of good races, so I wouldn't mind if we had more of them.

There's always this argument: "Don't watch". But people don't undefstand F1 is a serious addiction. Like a drug I've been taking for 25 years. I can't decide to stop watching. I can't, I must watch, because the next race might turn out to be the greatest race of the century. I can't take a risk of missing it. That's why I'm forced to wake up to watch races I don't even care about at all. It's a mental disease.

Plus there's no cure for this addiction. Unless, of course, Liberty Media announce reverse grids or something worse. Then I'm instantly cured.  ;)

If you are not joking and that's really how you are, it sucks and I get why you are relieved when it's over, but I guess it's not like that for most people

#50 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 6,033 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 10:01

Plus there's no cure for this addiction. Unless, of course, Liberty Media announce reverse grids or something worse. Then I'm instantly cured.  ;)

The ‘don’t like/don’t watch’ is the laziest argument out there, IMO.