- - - - -

2024 Formula 1 Calendar

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,958 posts

Posted 28 November 2023 - 23:19

Thought there would be a thread already, but I can't find one, so here you go.

F1 2024 ... 24 races. 29 Feb - 8 Dec. Summer break 29 Jul - 21 Aug. Looks like 3 triple headers - 1 in Europe, 1 in  the Americas, and 1 for Vegas/Qatar/AD. USGP same weekend as Texas vs Georgia football in Austin LOL. That's gonna be as big as the race, or bigger. Get your hotel rooms now.

2024-f1-calendar.jpeg

Advertisement

#2 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,705 posts

Posted 28 November 2023 - 23:24

Starts in February, ends in December. :eek:

I remember the agony of 2008 ending in early November and then 2009 starting almost in April. Why wasn't the off-season shorter when I was younger and more excited about everything...

#3 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 5,373 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 00:35

Got my room in Baku already - £20 a night each in an apartment, 3 minutes walk from the circuit. Bargain.

#4 kumo7

kumo7

• 7,926 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 00:59

24 races!! New sporting rules? Perhaps it is a chance to introduce younger drivers and more strategies.

From now one, teams need three race teams in rotation. 

Drivers can attend perhaps 2/3 of seasons, and one or two younger drivers take part in the other 1/3.

#5 barrykm

barrykm

• 811 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 05:15

I notice that the two season-opening races in Bahrain and Saudi will take place on Saturday - to be closer to Islamic practice I suppose.

#6 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,723 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 07:59

Strike off Bahrain, Jeddah, Miami, Baku, Qatar and Abu Dhabi and you’d have a pretty good 18 race calendar.

#7 Stephane

Stephane

• 4,829 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 08:24

Start times somewhere already?

#8 1player

1player

• 1,772 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 08:29

I haven't counted, but 24 is MORE races than we've had this year? Oh we're all gonna die.

If it's another year of domination, it's the year I will crack and just stop watching.

#9 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,966 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 08:34

24 races reflects the direction in which Liberty is taking the sport. I think it's a huge mistake. That triple-header to conclude is brutal; if there's still a title fight going into these closing races, I'll feel very sorry for the drivers. If there isn't a title fight, the conclusion to the season is going to be even more unenthusiastic than this season. It's just too much.

#10 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 5,373 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 08:36

And we all know it won't stop at 24.

#11 Anja

Anja

• 10,742 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 08:42

I notice that the two season-opening races in Bahrain and Saudi will take place on Saturday - to be closer to Islamic practice I suppose.

Ramadan starts on March 10th so they moved the two races a day earlier to be finished before then. Initially we were supposed to start the season in Australia because of that timing but I guess it would be too simple. 

Edited by Anja, 29 November 2023 - 08:50.

#12 LolaB0860

LolaB0860

• 2,210 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 09:13

Don't forget, there are more SPRINTs to be added to the bloated calendar too.

#13 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 5,282 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 09:15

Start times somewhere already?

I have a feeling china will be a 7.00am race and we know all the start times for the other 23 races from last year

#14 kumo7

kumo7

• 7,926 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 10:03

24 races reflects the direction in which Liberty is taking the sport. I think it's a huge mistake. That triple-header to conclude is brutal; if there's still a title fight going into these closing races, I'll feel very sorry for the drivers. If there isn't a title fight, the conclusion to the season is going to be even more unenthusiastic than this season. It's just too much.

RedBull can run its reserve driver at the moment when the team finds it suits them. Max to holiday and Lawson in. Would Max feel threatened to leave the place if in case Lawson shines? 

A Good chance for a young star tho. 

#15 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,966 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 10:07

RedBull can run its reserve driver at the moment when the team finds it suits them. Max to holiday and Lawson in. Would Max feel threatened to leave the place if in case Lawson shines? 

I was saying in a separate thread that, with so many races, teams should be obligated to run junior drivers for a set number of races. As long as the drivers get to choose when and where they sit out, I actually think this would be a relief for many of them.

#16 lukestanton91

lukestanton91

• 256 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 10:08

Strike off Bahrain, Jeddah, Miami, Baku, Qatar and Abu Dhabi and you’d have a pretty good 18 race calendar.

Agreed. Too many races. Too much dreck. 

#17 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 48,719 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 11:16

I was saying in a separate thread that, with so many races, teams should be obligated to run junior drivers for a set number of races. As long as the drivers get to choose when and where they sit out, I actually think this would be a relief for many of them.

I made a similar comment too. Have one or two races where a “rookie” must drive the entire weekend. Leave it up to choice so big crowd draw drivers don’t miss out on their important races. Would make things a bit more interesting.

#18 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 45,407 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 11:25

Like I said in that thread that got trashed by 99% of respondents…. Reserve Drivers for the Sprints !

Jp

#19 Clatter

Clatter

• 45,170 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 12:06

24 races!! New sporting rules? Perhaps it is a chance to introduce younger drivers and more strategies.

From now one, teams need three race teams in rotation.
Drivers can attend perhaps 2/3 of seasons, and one or two younger drivers take part in the other 1/3.

Believe they already have upto 25 races agreed in the concorde agreement.

Advertisement

#20 r4mses

r4mses

• 2,377 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 12:12

Starts in February, ends in December. :eek:

I remember the agony of 2008 ending in early November and then 2009 starting almost in April. Why wasn't the off-season shorter when I was younger and more excited about everything...

Back in the day I went to Stars'n'Cars at Mercedes-Benz HQ in Stuttgart to see Mika, David, Bernd and others after the season(s) closed... in October. 

#21 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 7,025 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 12:13

Too many races. I remember it used to be 16, ending in Adelaide. :D

20 to 21 races is about right. 24 is overkill.

These three I would get rid of:

Miami

Qatar

Saudi

#22 Clatter

Clatter

• 45,170 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 12:25

You seriously think Verstappen is going to feel threatened by Lawson?

#23 Clatter

Clatter

• 45,170 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 12:27

I'd be happy if it started at R3, and ended with race R21.

#24 Clatter

Clatter

• 45,170 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 12:33

I was saying in a separate thread that, with so many races, teams should be obligated to run junior drivers for a set number of races. As long as the drivers get to choose when and where they sit out, I actually think this would be a relief for many of them.

Poke in the eye for the paying fans though.

#25 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 13,433 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 12:42

---. USGP same weekend as Texas vs Georgia football in Austin LOL. That's gonna be as big as the race, or bigger. Get your hotel rooms now.

Having lived and worked in Texas with Texans that's the most idiotic oversight I have ever seen, only comparable to Phoenix GP being held on the same date as the ostrich race......

Seriously that is just plain stupid. But the 6th street party will be something else.

#26 bisp

bisp

• 36 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 14:42

First, this is just too many races. This year became a chore, and I even skipped a couple races never going back to watch a replay.

Second, always leave it to my guy AustinF1 to bring up COTA and point out something he needs to take a shot at. COTA lives in his head rent free 24/7.  :clap:

#27 pdac

pdac

• 17,703 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 15:29

Looking forward to the 30-race season.

#28 AlexPrime

AlexPrime

• 4,550 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 15:32

Hideous. 16-20 is the right amount, this is insane and closer to NASCAR. :down:

#29 danmills

danmills

• 3,347 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 21:43

Japan that time of year!

#30 LolaB0860

LolaB0860

• 2,210 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 22:22

You have a ridiculous 24-race calendar from Feb to Dec, yet there's somehow still 4-week gap between Singapore and COTA. Then it's a triple header, another weird 3-week gap, and then - you guessed it - triple header. Not even explained by their regionalization excuses. The final triple header also only has night races in it of course.

6 sprint races means 30 races, but I have a feeling they'll magically ramp it up to 12 sprints and we're literally into NASCAR Cup numbers with 36 races.

Edited by LolaB0860, 29 November 2023 - 22:25.

#31 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,958 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 03:01

First, this is just too many races. This year became a chore, and I even skipped a couple races never going back to watch a replay.

Second, always leave it to my guy AustinF1 to bring up COTA and point out something he needs to take a shot at. COTA lives in his head rent free 24/7.  :clap:

That wasn't a shot at COTA. That was aimed squarely at F1's scheduling. That football game has been scheduled for some time. It would be better for COTA and the fans to not have the race that weekend. Looks like the one with someone living 'rent free 24/7' in their head is you. LOL. Little cramped in here.   :clap:

#32 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,958 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 04:46

Having lived and worked in Texas with Texans that's the most idiotic oversight I have ever seen, only comparable to Phoenix GP being held on the same date as the ostrich race......

Seriously that is just plain stupid. But the 6th street party will be something else.

Yeah I agree. Just a friendly tip if you're ever in Austin - 6th Street's not the best place to go anymore. Little too rowdy now. Safer/better to go to Rainey Street or a few other spots.

#33 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,958 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 04:53

You have a ridiculous 24-race calendar from Feb to Dec, yet there's somehow still 4-week gap between Singapore and COTA. Then it's a triple header, another weird 3-week gap, and then - you guessed it - triple header. Not even explained by their regionalization excuses. The final triple header also only has night races in it of course.

6 sprint races means 30 races, but I have a feeling they'll magically ramp it up to 12 sprints and we're literally into NASCAR Cup numbers with 36 races.

Yeah it seems like some or all of those triple headers could have been avoided.

#34 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 48,719 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 08:14

That wasn't a shot at COTA. That was aimed squarely at F1's scheduling. That football game has been scheduled for some time. It would be better for COTA and the fans to not have the race that weekend. Looks like the one with someone living 'rent free 24/7' in their head is you. LOL. Little cramped in here. :clap:

There are only so many weekends in a year. COTA bares some responsibility for agreeing to the date though.

They could have requested a swap with Mexico, like they did some years ago, for example,

#35 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 10,132 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 08:21

Way too many races. Should be 20 max. I’d bin off Abu Dhabi, Miami, Qatar and Mexico in a heart beat.

Edited by ConsiderAndGo, 30 November 2023 - 08:21.

#36 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,958 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 08:38

There are only so many weekends in a year. COTA bares some responsibility for agreeing to the date though.

They could have requested a swap with Mexico, like they did some years ago, for example,

Good point. They certainly would have known what else is going on in town that weekend. Or even potentially swap with Brazil (assuming they'd go for it), which would help avoid another hot Austin race like the one this year. But it's hard for F1 and promoters to just swap dates around and I realize that. If the USGP is scheduled 1 or 2 weeks earlier, then the conflict is with ACL Fest, which is massive. My point in replying to bisp was just that I wasn't aiming anything at COTA there. There's no need for me to manufacture anything about them.

#37 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 48,719 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 09:15

Good point. They certainly would have known what else is going on in town that weekend. Or even potentially swap with Brazil (assuming they'd go for it), which would help avoid another hot Austin race like the one this year. But it's hard for F1 and promoters to just swap dates around and I realize that. If the USGP is scheduled 1 or 2 weeks earlier, then the conflict is with ACL Fest, which is massive. My point in replying to bisp was just that I wasn't aiming anything at COTA there. There's no need for me to manufacture anything about them.

Remind me why pairing with Montreal won’t work. Too hot in June?

#38 Ruusperi

Ruusperi

• 3,483 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 09:39

I still don't understand why Imola and Montreal can't swap places.

#39 BobbyRicky

BobbyRicky

• 1,556 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 09:53

Add Spain, Hungary, Monaco and UK to that list and we'd have a pretty damn decent 14-round calendar

Advertisement

#40 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 48,719 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 09:57

Add Spain, Hungary, Monaco and UK to that list and we'd have a pretty damn decent 14-round calendar

Why do you hate some of the best races?

#41 BobbyRicky

BobbyRicky

• 1,556 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 10:04

Why do you hate some of the best races?

Because i find those tracks to produce some seriously boring F1-races?

Hungary has been better since 2022 tho, but id still remove it from the calendar if i could.

#42 FLB

FLB

• 31,945 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 11:38

I still don't understand why Imola and Montreal can't swap places.

Montrealer here   :wave:

It's around the time temperatures begin to rise above 12-15C, but just. To make money, the promoter needs to sell as much beer as possible and beer doesn't sell as well at 15C. It's the main reason why the race has a (rumoured) guaranteed mid-June date. 

#43 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 48,719 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 12:57

Montrealer here :wave:

It's around the time temperatures begin to rise above 12-15C, but just. To make money, the promoter needs to sell as much beer as possible and beer doesn't sell as well at 15C. It's the main reason why the race has a (rumoured) guaranteed mid-June date.

So it’s actually the Canadians who like warm beer?

#44 dweller23

dweller23

• 1,583 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 13:24

Vegas into Qatar within one week, sounds like a lot of fun for people travelling, especially drivers.

Sidenote: I fully expect China to get cancelled as there are already reports of new set of lockdowns happening.

#45 cbo

cbo

• 878 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 13:29

So it’s actually the Canadians who like warm beer?

Or Canadians who hate it when the gravy on their Poutine gets cold...

#46 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,708 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 13:39

Poke in the eye for the paying fans though.

Exactly. The 'run a rookie in a race' thing will never happen, because whether we like it or not, fans want to see Lewis Hamilton, Max Verstappen, etc... they are the stars of the show. Regardless of whether you're at Silverstone or Jeddah, you will want to see the stars. You could argue and trade off whether it's worth p**sing off 'X' amount of fans for the sport, but I don't think Liberty would entertain that. You'd probably have some legal argument between the circuits and F1 too, due to loss of earnings. It's a can of worms that won't be opened.

Not saying it's not a cool idea by the way, it just won't happen IMO.

Edited by IrvTheSwerve, 30 November 2023 - 13:42.

#47 DW46

DW46

• 2,534 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 13:58

Exactly. The 'run a rookie in a race' thing will never happen, because whether we like it or not, fans want to see Lewis Hamilton, Max Verstappen, etc... they are the stars of the show. Regardless of whether you're at Silverstone or Jeddah, you will want to see the stars. You could argue and trade off whether it's worth p**sing off 'X' amount of fans for the sport, but I don't think Liberty would entertain that. You'd probably have some legal argument between the circuits and F1 too, due to loss of earnings. It's a can of worms that won't be opened.

If I pay to see Max and Lewis and I get Vesti and Hadjar am I satisfied . . .

#48 Clatter

Clatter

• 45,170 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 14:05

Exactly. It's one thing if a driver is forced to miss a race due to illness or injury, but quite another if the top drivers decide they want to sit out races.

#49 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 37,804 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 14:19

Here we go, I am not in love with all of those left, unfortunately fairly good arguments for having them (I am looking at you China), there is still too many next to be chopped would be China and Imola.

Australian Grand Prix     24  Mar
Japanese Grand Prix       07  Apr
Chinese Grand Prix        21  Apr
Emilia Romagna Grand Prix 19  May
Monaco Grand Prix         26  May
Canadian Grand Prix       09  Jun
Spanish Grand Prix        23  Jun
Austrian Grand Prix       30  Jun
British Grand Prix        07  Jul
Hungarian Grand Prix      21  Jul
Belgian Grand Prix        28  Jul
Dutch Grand Prix          25  Aug
Italian Grand Prix        01  Sep
United States Grand Prix  20  Oct
Mexican Grand Prix        27  Oct
Brazilian Grand Prix      03  Nov

Edited by KWSN - DSM, 30 November 2023 - 14:19.

#50 TAFormula1

TAFormula1

• 55 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 15:01

The way this is going, we will soon in the future get to 30 races, pretty hilarious... not long ago a staple was 16 races.