Photo

Sunbeam 1000HP restoration

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 851 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 14:33

I am sure that some of our readers will be aware of the work that is currently proceeding to restore the 1927 Sunbeam 1000HP land speed record car, housed at The National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, to full running order.

The restoration work has been proceeding over the past few years and began as a conservation  investigation into the car's state of preservation.   Now, as part of the museum's Transport Torque evenings, on Saturday the 27th January 2024there is a special event to celebrate this work.  The Sunbeam was the first car to break the 200 mph barrier driven by Henry Segrave.     There is an ambitious aim to take the car back to Daytona beach in the USA to celebrate the centenary of the record in March 2027,  Henry Segrave was knighted by King George V in 1929 following his final land speed record with the Golden Arrow which is also displayed at Beaulieu.

The Museum workshop team are restoring the engines, its chassis and bodywork to bring this iconic car back to life.  At this event, attendees can learn about the fascinating history of the car, its manufacture at the Sunbeam works in Wolverhampton, Henry Segrave’s 203.792 mph world land speed record, and hear from the Museum’s Doug Hill and Ian Stanfield about the efforts to restore this truly impressive vehicle.  The Sunbeam 1000HP was recently displayed, along with the 350hp Sunbeam of 1920, on the National Motor Museum's stand at the Lancaster Classic Motor Show at the NEC where it attracted an enormous amount of attention.

Proceeds from the evening will go to the Sunbeam 1000hp restoration campaign and there will be an opportunity to donate the campaign.    If any Forum members would like to book tickets, they can do so via the link below and follow the online instructions.  Tickets are £7.50 for members of The Friends of The National Motor Museum and £10.00 for non-members and all are welcome.

https://www.beaulieu...nsport-torques/

Edited by Pullman99, 05 December 2023 - 14:39.

Advertisement

#2 tsrwright

tsrwright

• 562 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 02:34

I believe it was well short of 1000 hp.

I realize the ''1000hp'' was part of the period publicity but should that continue today?

T

#3 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,874 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 08:44

I realize the ''1000hp'' was part of the period publicity but should that continue today?

T

“When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.” :wave: The two Matabele  engines were originally rated at 400HP each, and as installed in the car are said to have been 'about 900HP'. It was certainly known as the 1000HP in 1946, when it was exhibited in some of the SMMT's parades celebrating the rather arbitrary 50th anniversary of the British motor industry, which was really more about the anniversary of the abolition of the 'Red Flag Act'.

It's also known as 'The Slug', which is hardly an attractive name. Originally it was called 'Mystery', but that was presumably just a ploy by Sunbeam to gain publicity for it before the attempt. It was no mystery after it took the record ...

#4 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,778 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 09:10

T

Also, the Golden Arrow isn't made from gold.

#5 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 851 posts

Posted 11 January 2024 - 12:29

Just bumping this topic back up the ladder.  

Tickets for the evening at the National Motor Museum on Saturday 27th January are selling fast so book early to avoid disappointment!

The museum has been in contacted by many relatives of employees of Sunbeam in former years including several who were directly involved with the building of this very special car.   Several were also part of the team that accompanied the car to Daytona.

If any members of this Forum have any additional information on the Sunbeam 1000HP - especially its period immediately following the record (it was demonstrated at Brooklands and Montlehery by Henry Segrave and was also exhibited at Selfridges) - I would be delighted to hear any relevant stories.   I believe that when the former Rootes collection, that also included the Sunbeam Cub Grand Prix car, was in the throes of being disposed of in around 1970 by Chrysler UK there was a concern that all or several of the cars were to be donated to Prince Rainer of Monaco.   It was to prevent this happening that led to its acquisition by Lord Montagu.  The car had been on loan to Beaulieu since 1958.

See link below for full information for the Transport Torque event on the 27th:

https://www.beaulieu...nsport-torques/

Edited by Pullman99, 15 February 2024 - 15:23.

#6 Steve L

Steve L

• 547 posts

Posted 11 January 2024 - 18:37

I would love to go, but it is a long way from Nottingham for one evening!

Will there be a webcast or will it be recorded I wonder?

#7 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 851 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 13:04

I would love to go, but it is a long way from Nottingham for one evening!

Will there be a webcast or will it be recorded I wonder?

Hi Steve,

Sadly no webcast (unlike Brooklands Members TV) but there should be an (audio) podcast available of the main presentation which will be in the museum's Lecture Theatre.   There will be a Q&A session with the restoration team with the car in the museum as part of the evening but I don't think that will be recorded.   There will, however, be updates from time to time  on the NMM's You Tube channel.     If anyone would like additional information on the project, they can do so by following the link below.    

https://www.beaulieu...sunbeam-1000hp/

Hopefully, as 2024 progresses, there will be further acknowledgement of the project in Wolverhampton and elsewhere.

#8 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,874 posts

Posted 07 February 2024 - 00:53

Brief mention and photo in the 1/10/70 issue of Autosport.

1970-Autosport-Beaulieu-Sunbeam-TNF.jpg

Stephen

#9 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 07 February 2024 - 06:53

Brief mention and photo in the 1/10/70 issue of Autosport.

1970-Autosport-Beaulieu-Sunbeam-TNF.jpg

Stephen

97 years later many 'street cars' are doing 200mph from a standing start over the quarter. And have far more than a thousand horsepower as well.

#10 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 851 posts

Posted 13 February 2024 - 14:38

Quick update!

The Transport Torque on the 27th January was extremely well attended and the short talk given by Richard Noble was most welcome as it linked the approach to record breaking technology from 100 years ago with the Sunbeam to the continuing saga of the LSR (and WSR) today.   The NMMT's Doug Hill and Ian Stanfield gave a "state of the union" address on progress on the rebuild and the good news - that was witnessed first hand during the museum tour that followed - is that the work is continuing apace with the initial stages of the reassembly of the first of the two Matabele engines.   The rear one in this case.  I will try and update this thread over the coming months.

One aspect that we are trying to discover more about is how Sunbeam and Rootes used the car between 1927 and its initial display at Beaulieu in 1958.    The only firm date that I have when the car was last run is the 3rd July 1927 at the French Grand Prix at Montlhéry when the car was demonstrated by Albert Divo.    This followed a demonstration by Henry Segrave at Brooklands the month previously and its exhibition in Selfridges and the Rootes showroom in Piccadilly.     Does anyone know if it was run later than 1927?  Possibly at Brooklands?

The 1000HP was kept at the Sunbeam works in a small museum there but for how long - presumably up to the start of WW2 - I do not know.   I believe that the car was moved into safer storage during the war and then reappeared at the Golden Jubilee of the British Motor Industry parades in London in August, and also in Belfast and Cardiff in September 1946.  I have seen film of the London and Belfast event but would love to find a pic or two of the Cardiff one.    The Sunbeam was transported on a Rootes Group truck at these events.

One other aspect that I think was reported by the motoring press in 1969 / 70 was a rumour that all the historic Rootes Group racing and competition cars were to be given / sold (?) to join the collection of Prince Rainier in Monaco.   Certainly the 1000HP Sunbeam was put up for auction - at Measham - in 1970 at a time when Chrysler was taking control of the ailing Rootes company that had debts of some £10M at the time.   The soon to be National Motor Museum was, therefore, obliged to bid for the car that had been at Beaulieu on loan since 1958.  As recorded in Autosport (above) it was acquired by Lord Montagu for the museum to prevent its potential loss to the UK.   The winning bid was £10,000 incidentally.   If anyone has further information about the circumstances surrounding the disposal by Rootes, I would love to find out more.

Ian

Edited by Pullman99, 15 February 2024 - 15:28.

#11 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,874 posts

Posted 13 February 2024 - 15:36

The Coventry to Birmingham parade on September 21st - although by far the biggest - is very under-reported, apart from the chaos it caused in Birmingham city centre, but the only record cars I've seen mentioned as present on that one are Golden Arrow and Bluebird. The SMMT's archives are at the Herbert in Coventry, but they apparently contain nothing regarding any of the parades - I asked about them when I was there in October 2022.

The 1000HP was definitely in the Cardiff parade on August 31st too, although I've seen no mention of it in reports of the Edinburgh one on October 5th. Nor the final one in Manchester on October 26th.

#12 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,607 posts

Posted 13 February 2024 - 17:08

This photo is on the Getty Images site captioned June 1927, but with no other details. I’ve seen another reference (which I cannot now find) that the photo was taken in Coventry. Might this have been in connection with any of the parades?

IMG-3940.jpg

https://www.gettyima...s-photo/3317328

#13 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,874 posts

Posted 13 February 2024 - 17:09

According to the reports of the 1927 GP de l'ACF in both The Times and l'Auto, only Divo drove the car at Montlhéry. I haven't found any mention of it ever running again.

#14 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,874 posts

Posted 13 February 2024 - 17:19

This photo is on the Getty Images site captioned June 1927, but with no other details. I’ve seen another reference (which I cannot now find) that the photo was taken in Coventry. Might this have been in connection with any of the parades?

IMG-3940.jpg

https://www.gettyima...s-photo/3317328

According to this website, it's 1927 - the clothing of the bystanders looks more 1920s than 1940s too - but taken in Wolverhampton, not Coventry: https://apex.custodi...ecord-breakers/

#15 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,607 posts

Posted 13 February 2024 - 17:47

I’ve found the Coventry reference. The photo was posted on a local Coventry history Facebook page, then shared on the Bluebird Supporters Club page, which is where I saw it.

IMG-3942.jpg

#16 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,874 posts

Posted 13 February 2024 - 19:05

The inscription on the side - which has gone through at least three versions - seems to match other 1927 photos before the car set off for Daytona, some of which are definitely Wolverhampton.

And I can't think of any obvious reason why it would have been in Coventry in 1927. Having said that though - if that's a trade plate hanging off the back, then it's a Warwickshire one. And certainly by the time of the 1928 Motor Show, Hillman, who were based in Ryton-on-Dunsmore, were marketing at least one of their models as a 'Segrave'.

All well before the Rootes tie-up - and Hillman were by then owned by Humber, also based in Coventry.

#17 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,607 posts

Posted 13 February 2024 - 19:54

I joined that Coventry history group to look at the original post there in case anyone had come up with definite info about the location in Coventry. There was none, but there was a post saying it was Wolverhampton, not Coventry.

#18 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 11:24

Personally, I think restoration to running condition is a mistake, vehicles that are literally unique, should be conserved, but this constant need to risk damage fuddles me. I understand cars are cars, and built to run, but run as intended , not pootled about simply to make money.

My humble opinion.

#19 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,874 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 11:58

The whereabouts of the 1000HP were puzzling 'Casque', in The Autocar, January 26th 1934, p162:

EXTRAORDINARY things happen to famous rnachines. Somehow it seems a pity, though one has to admit that practical and financial considerations come first. The seaplane which won the Schneider Trophy was, I believe, eventually converted into aluminium saucepans, or something of similar sentimental value. Heaven knows where De Hane Segrave's original 200 m.p.h. Sunbeam has got to, but the chassis, less engine, of the Golden Arrow is collecting dust in a London store, from which retirement the Silver Bullet has been extracted again to go adventuring. This reminds me that "Old No. 7" Bentley, still in fine condition, externally at all events, is now on show and for sale at a garage in London.

The real truth is that one doesn't realise the possible value of some of these cars to a future generation, for when you come to think of it, wouldn't it be interesting to see that old and famous Panhard, "No. 7," or Nazzaro's Fiat, or the Sunbeam which won the Grand Prix, or Murphy's Duesenberg, in some museum, or at all events in safe keeping?

Answer apparently came there none. :well:

Advertisement

#20 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 851 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 13:42

Thanks everyone for your kind contributions.   It would be nice to eventually end up with a more complete timeline for the Sunbeam than we have at the moment.  I think that the Coventry reference quoted earlier was as a result of being included in a Humber / Hillman element of the Historic Coventry Forum.    The inscription on the side is a pretty good dating mechanism and it would appear to confirm that it is the holder of the world land speed record and thus the June 1927 dating would be correct.   Possibly on the way to / from Wolverhampton to Brooklands or France.   

At the risk of upsetting my learned friend Steve Holter, the project was started by the NMM as a conservation led investigation into the 1000HP's condition.    The outcome of that study led to the conclusion that to leave the car as it was - particularly the engines - would eventually result in irretrievable corrosion with a consequent impact on the long-term survival of the vehicle.   I fully accept that there are some vehicles where it would be entirely wrong to return to running order (or, potentially even worse, a hastily applied cosmetic makeover that destroys originality) but I can assure everyone that the work on the Sunbeam is being carried out with the utmost care and is supervised by a very experienced curatorial team.   There is no question of the car being overstressed and certainly it will not run at anything like record speeds which, apart from anything else, would diminish the achievements of Henry Segrave.   As an example, the National Railway Museum some 35 years ago was being persuaded to let Mallard run at more than its 126mph record.   A possibility, perhaps, but entirely incorrect in this context.

One very positive aspect of the project, bearing in mind that there is almost no technical information - and certainly no engineering drawings - extant, is the response that has been forthcoming from relatives of those involved with building the car in Wolverhampton and its running at Daytona.   The links between the NMM and Wolverhampton are being strengthened as a result, including help from the Black Country Museum at Dudley (who have another Sunbeam engine).   

I will continue to update the Forum on progress and thanks particularly to Vitesse2 for confirming details of the SMMT parades in 1946.    We'll keep digging!

Ian

Edited by Pullman99, 15 February 2024 - 15:28.

#21 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 11:40

Thanks everyone for your kind contributions.   It would be nice to eventually end up with a more complete timeline for the Sunbeam than we have at the moment.  I think that the Coventry reference quoted earlier was as a result of being included in a Humber / Hillman element of the Historic Coventry Forum.    The inscription on the side is a pretty good dating mechanism and it would appear to confirm that it is the holder of the world land speed record and thus the June 1927 dating would be correct.   Possibly on the way to / from Wolverhampton to Brooklands or France.   

At the risk of upsetting my learned friend Steve Holter, the project was started by the NMM as a conservation led investigation into the 1000HP's condition.    The outcome of that study led to the conclusion that to leave the car as it was - particularly the engines - would eventually result in irretrievable corrosion with a consequent impact on the long-term survival of the vehicle.   I fully accept that there are some vehicles where it would be entirely wrong to return to running order (or, potentially even worse, a hastily applied cosmetic makeover that destroys originality) but I can assure everyone that the work on the Sunbeam is being carried out with the utmost care and is supervised by a very experienced curatorial team.   There is no question of the car being overstressed and certainly it will not run at anything like record speeds which, apart from anything else, would diminish the achievements of Henry Segrave.   As an example, the National Railway Museum some 35 years ago were being persuaded to let Mallard run at more than its 126mph record.   A possibility, perhaps, but entirely incorrect in this context.

One very positive aspect of the project, bearing in mind that there is almost no technical information - and certainly no engineering drawings - extant, is the response that has been forthcoming from relatives of those involved with building the car in Wolverhampton and its running at Daytona.   The links between the NMM and Wolverhampton are being strengthened as a result, including help from the Black Country Museum at Dudley (who have another Sunbeam engine).   

I will continue to update the Forum on progress and thanks particularly to Vitesse2 for confirming details of the SMMT parades in 1946.    We'll keep digging!

Ian

Absolutely no problem Ian, and you give a fine example of why, sometimes, you need more information to form an opinion!! Although having said that, your comments sort of suggest that previous conservation processes may not have been all they could have been, though probably the best they could have been in period. The horrors I found in the Rolls-Royce R type number R37 (Sir Malcolm Campbell's 301 mph Blue Bird car engine), were those that can not have been done by anyone trained in conservation, having been sand blasted with an appalling lack of masking. 

I have to admit the thought of being able to hear a Metabele running through straight through pipes is mouth watering !!

#22 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 851 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 15:18

I have to admit the thought of being able to hear a Metabele running through straight through pipes is mouth watering !!

Hi Steve!  As a certain Wolverhampton (how appropriate) band would say "C'mon Feel the Noise..."    :clap:

On the previous lack of use / conservation ./ restoration;  this had been confined to a degree of inhibiting.   The engines were not fired up - as far as we know - at all from their last outing which is only reliably recorded as 1927.   Certainly, no evidence found thus far that they were run later than that unless back at the factory.  The major culprit would appear to be that the Castrol R used for their last running was never drained in period and badly affected the timing gears and just about every other internal component. Takes the word glutinous to a whole new level.   The alloy corrosion has also been significant.   

If I can post a recording of the evening of the 27th January, I will include this as a separate post.   All good stuff!

Ian

#23 Steve L

Steve L

• 547 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 18:23

Would love to listen to the evening if at all possible please Ian.

#24 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,096 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 20:42

It's certainly not outside the Sunbeam factory. Frustratingly, there doesn't seem to be a web-accessible local history society in Wolverhampton, or we could ask them where it is. (Someone cleverer than me mught spot one). If only you'd asked forty years ago, I could have asked me Dad.

#25 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 03:12

I’ve found the Coventry reference. The photo was posted on a local Coventry history Facebook page, then shared on the Bluebird Supporters Club page, which is where I saw it.

IMG-3942.jpg

One presumes that is a trade plate hanging off the rear.

#26 marksixman

marksixman

• 291 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 07:57

One presumes that is a trade plate hanging off the rear.

See post #13 here, from 13th Feb !

#27 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 851 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 09:45

As promised earlier, I now have the public link to the NMMT Friends Evening on the 27th January.   This is on the National Motor Museum Trust's You Tube channel.   See below:

https://www.youtube....h?v=3KOKK-x6_3w

I will update the (known) timeline for the Sunbeam later.    The photograph with the car on a trade plate could be from one of the UK appearances following the record and between trips to / from Wolverhampton, Brooklands and Montlhery.    Back streets around Selfridges?

Ian

Edited by Pullman99, 20 February 2024 - 10:48.

#28 marksixman

marksixman

• 291 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 16:27

Recently reading Oliver Heal's biography of Sunbeam engineer Louis Coatalen I was surprised to find a quote attributed to some bloke named John Wyer. You may have heard of him - had a bit of history with Aston Martin, Gulf GT40s, Gulf 917s etc ! 

I had completely forgotten that Wyer served an engineering apprenticeship with Sunbeam starting in February 1927, and his autobiography "The Certain Sound" includes a picture of a very young Wyer aboard the 200mph Sunbeam, presumably at the Wolverhampton works.

https://postimg.cc/y3NjzVRB

#29 Steve L

Steve L

• 547 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 17:26

As promised earlier, I now have the public link to the NMMT Friends Evening on the 27th January.   This is on the National Motor Museum Trust's You Tube channel.   See below:

https://www.youtube....h?v=3KOKK-x6_3w

I will update the (known) timeline for the Sunbeam later.    The photograph with the car on a trade plate could be from one of the UK appearances following the record and between trips to / from Wolverhampton, Brooklands and Montlhery.    Back streets around Selfridges?

Ian

Thanks for providing details of the video, I really enjoyed it.

#30 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,874 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 21:07

Recently reading Oliver Heal's biography of Sunbeam engineer Louis Coatalen I was surprised to find a quote attributed to some bloke named John Wyer. You may have heard of him - had a bit of history with Aston Martin, Gulf GT40s, Gulf 917s etc ! 

I had completely forgotten that Wyer served an engineering apprenticeship with Sunbeam starting in February 1927, and his autobiography "The Certain Sound" includes a picture of a very young Wyer aboard the 200mph Sunbeam, presumably at the Wolverhampton works.

John - at the time the manager of the Ace Service Station, next door to the Ace Cafe on the North Circular - participated in at least two of the SMMT parades, in London and Edinburgh, driving Sunbeams owned by Oliver's father.

#31 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,874 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 00:27

All credit to marksixman for posting, just using the 'hotlink to forums' option to put the photo direct to the thread.

J-Wyer-in-200mph-Sunbeam.jpg

Stephen

#32 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 851 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 08:17

All credit to marksixman for posting, just using the 'hotlink to forums' option to put the photo direct to the thread.

J-Wyer-in-200mph-Sunbeam.jpg

Stephen

Thanks both for posting that link.   I had forgotten about the Wyer connection to Sunbeam.   Clearly, this company and its sporting record has been an important influence on many individuals down the years.

Ian

#33 marksixman

marksixman

• 291 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 14:30

Looking again at the image of Wyer in the 200mph Sunbeam, I think he may have already been developing "The Stare" that made so many mechanics and drivers tremble in years to come !

Or was he just trying to see where the front end was ?!

Edited by marksixman, 26 February 2024 - 14:56.

#34 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 851 posts

Posted 24 March 2024 - 16:49

Not sure if Tim's pic has disappeared but here it is again.

sunbeam1927.jpg

I have been following various aspects of the Sunbeam saga in  Wolverhampton and went last week to the still extant entrance to the experimental department with an old acquaintance of mine, the ever helpful David Cooper, who is a major contributor to The Black Country Bugle.   David also supplied me with another photograph which would appear to be the same venue and which I reproduce here and which has been further researched by David's son Dan who has commented on the image in the background of Bronnleys soap warehouse.  Dan has looked at Wikipedia and on their history page around the time the car was built in 1927 or possibly on one of the tours after the record.  Bronnley's factory was located in Acton London.  So certainly not Coventry nor Wolverhampton.    I am getting closer to the definitive timeline which certainly included appearances in London.     More on this story later...

Unknown-1-copy-1.jpg

Edited by Pullman99, 26 March 2024 - 12:26.

#35 PJGD

PJGD

• 143 posts

Posted 24 March 2024 - 23:02

Perhaps they were visiting CAV on Warple Way, Acton W3 who may well have made the electrical equipment for the car.

You just know that one of the urchins standing alongside will have asked the driver "Oi, what'l she do, Mr?"

#36 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,531 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 07:52

I believe that the car was moved into safer storage during the war and then reappeared at the Golden Jubilee of the British Motor Industry parades in London in August, and also in Belfast and Cardiff in September 1946.  I have seen film of the London and Belfast event but would love to find a pic or two of the Cardiff one.    The Sunbeam was transported on a Rootes Group truck at these events.

To your list of venues you can add Coventry, Birmingham, Edinburgh and Manchester.

A photo taken at Coventry  shows a lorry bearing a sign "1000HP SUNBEAM Worlds record 1927" but the car isn't visible.

#37 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,874 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 08:39

To your list of venues you can add Coventry, Birmingham, Edinburgh and Manchester.

A photo taken at Coventry  shows a lorry bearing a sign "1000HP SUNBEAM Worlds record 1927" but the car isn't visible.

What are your sources for this, Geoff? The Coventry and Birmingham ones are essentially the same thing, as the parade travelled between both cities.

#38 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,531 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 08:46

What are your sources for this, Geoff? 

I saw it this morning on Facebook, Unidentified photos of the British Isles Group.  I've saved a copy for safe keeping.

#39 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 851 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 14:32

I saw it this morning on Facebook, Unidentified photos of the British Isles Group.  I've saved a copy for safe keeping.

The saga continues...

I have joined the above Group so we'll see what may stem from this.  As Vitesse2 has stated previously there is a dearth of information and details relating to the the Coventry / Birmingham parade.   Hopefully we may find out more.    

Restoration, meanwhile continues apace.  These pics of the gearbox and final drive were taken in the NMM workshop a couple of weeks ago.

IMG-20240307-123713-160.jpg

IMG-20240307-123633-425.jpg

IMG-20240307-123706-005.jpg

Advertisement

#40 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,531 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 15:58

Re the comments on the LSR cars taking part, have you seen this?

Interesting from 1m24s ;)  Renamed Bluebird for the day!

Edited by Geoff E, 12 April 2024 - 16:02.

#41 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,874 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 16:42

O/T - Monty's 'Old Faithful' Humber Super Snipe was certainly in at least one other parade. It was reported that someone in Belfast pinched the rather tattered and faded union flag off the wing. A previous flag which had adorned the same car while he was in command of the 8th Army in North Africa and Italy had been sold for the enormous sum of 275 guineas at an ‘Aid to Russia’ ball in London in February 1944.

Press reports do say Bluebird was there though, so I suspect it's just Movietone getting confused.

#42 Jagjon

Jagjon

• 147 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 22:41

I think it would have been this car was displayed at a car dealership in Wrexham (North Wales) in  the late 1920's  a story told me  by my father whose business was nearby,. I think after it had set the record.

Not sure if Tim's pic has disappeared but here it is again.

sunbeam1927.jpg

I have been following various aspects of the Sunbeam saga in  Wolverhampton and went last week to the still extant entrance to the experimental department with an old acquaintance of mine, the ever helpful David Cooper, who is a major contributor to The Black Country Bugle.   David also supplied me with another photograph which would appear to be the same venue and which I reproduce here and which has been further researched by David's son Dan who has commented on the image in the background of Bronnleys soap warehouse.  Dan has looked at Wikipedia and on their history page around the time the car was built in 1927 or possibly on one of the tours after the record.  Bronnley's factory was located in Acton London.  So certainly not Coventry nor Wolverhampton.    I am getting closer to the definitive timeline which certainly included appearances in London.     More on this story later...

Unknown-1-copy-1.jpg

#43 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 851 posts

Posted 15 April 2024 - 10:12

Re the comments on the LSR cars taking part, have you seen this?

Interesting from 1m24s ;)  Renamed Bluebird for the day!

Yes!!.    Easily done...

We're trying to redress the balance by increasing awareness of Sir Henry Segrave but the Campbells tend to have a more more immediate recognition for probably most people when you mention record breaking.

#44 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 851 posts

Posted 15 April 2024 - 10:18

Hi Geoff,

I have now joined the Facebook Group  "Unidentified photos of the British Isles Group" which contains a good deal of transport related items including a recently contributed pic of the Rootes Group transporter carrying the Sunbeam 1000HP in Coventry.    One of their contributors, Clare Rasdell, very helpfully provided a link to archive film deposited with the National Library of Scotland    .   Details below:

Edinburgh event held on Saturday 5th October 1946

This seems to have been shot mute (?)  but presumably with a commentary for release.   There is no sound on the attached link.

This shows the Sunbeam 1000HP (08:00 to 08:26) - on its trailer provided by The Rootes Group.    There is also brief footage of the 350hp Sunbeam at 07:26 but erroneously listing - on the trailer banner - Sir Henry Segrave as one of the car's two drivers in period.   The TT and GP Sunbeams, the latter being The Cub, are also featured as is Golden Arrow which also seems to have been exhibited by Rootes, presumably due to its Thrupp & Maberly connection.

Interestingly, Sir Malcolm Campbell's Blue Bird (Bluebird on the trailer's banner) is also featured from 08:56 to 09:35 on an Adams Bros. trailer (as you would expect).    Maybe John Cobb and the Railton was too recent an event.

Edited by Pullman99, 15 April 2024 - 10:46.

#45 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,874 posts

Posted 15 April 2024 - 10:49

The only mention I've seen of the Railton is in the London parade on July 27th, for which Cobb also provided a voiceover on a preview made by Pathé. As he was already preparing to go back to Bonneville, I doubt he'd have wanted to be shipping it around the British Isles for six weeks! One brief trip to London was probably enough.

Golden Arrow, Bluebird and EX135 were also shown at a static exhibition in Brighton by the SMMT.

#46 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,874 posts

Posted 15 April 2024 - 12:36

Yes!!.    Easily done...

We're trying to redress the balance by increasing awareness of Sir Henry Segrave but the Campbells tend to have a more more immediate recognition for probably most people when you mention record breaking.

One of the many paying gigs Malcolm Campbell had was as an editor and commentator for Movietone between 1933 and 1939. Early 1930s motoring magazines are full of 'Malcolm Campbell says/uses/recommends' endorsements - sometimes for competing products!

#47 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 851 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 07:09

The only mention I've seen of the Railton is in the London parade on July 27th, for which Cobb also provided a voiceover on a preview made by Pathé. As he was already preparing to go back to Bonneville, I doubt he'd have wanted to be shipping it around the British Isles for six weeks! One brief trip to London was probably enough.

Golden Arrow, Bluebird and EX135 were also shown at a static exhibition in Brighton by the SMMT.

Thank you Vitesse2.   Great fun piecing this together and I appreciate that a tour of British cities would have impacted on Cobb's plans for 1947.  I must say that the various sources I have followed up have been immensely helpful and with a considerable depth of knowledge.    I will keep the Forum informed of progress and especially in connection with the car's relationship with Wolverhampton and the companies with which it is associated.