FIA Gala 2023

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 25,610 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 18:29

The FIA Gala is tonight. Yes, the event so fabulous, they have to threaten to fine the top three drivers if they don’t go, can be watched along with at home through the magic of YouTube!

Please do let me know if something exciting happens like if MBS gets fired live on stage or if Susie holds Toto back shouting leave him, Toto, he’s not worth it!’

Advertisement

#2 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 37,804 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 18:34

Baku? Was it not always in either Monaco, Paris or London?

Edited by KWSN - DSM, 08 December 2023 - 18:34.

#3 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 25,610 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 18:35

I know, right? When did this happen? 

#4 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,392 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 18:43

no. it has often been in Paris of course but they have been in many different places, like St Petersburg, Qatar, Geneva etc. When Covid happened it was meant to be in Munich for example

#5 flatlandsman

flatlandsman

• 577 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 20:25

They probably purchased it, everything in F1 has a price tag, surely that is obvious!

#6 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 37,804 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 20:38

I was clearly wrong.

https://en.wikipedia...Giving_Ceremony

#7 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 13,433 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 21:01

Nothing will ever beat Kimi being Kimi.

#8 JeanAlesi27

JeanAlesi27

• 1,114 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 21:09

Nothing will ever beat Kimi being Kimi.

Wodka!

#9 RekF1

RekF1

• 2,383 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 21:13

Did Lewis refuse a handshake? It was hard to tell from the angle shown.

#10 NikL

NikL

• 224 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 21:35

Well predictably that was a bit of a mess and very awkward. And that ending? I thought it was live but clearly it was pre-recorded :lol:

#11 BleuMurmure

BleuMurmure

• 548 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 22:21

Did Lewis refuse a handshake? It was hard to tell from the angle shown.

Maybe, couldn't see it from behind.

But he did refuse the black tie, so there is that. /s

#12 LolaB0860

LolaB0860

• 2,210 posts

Posted 09 December 2023 - 06:56

I'm sure it was fabulous and someone in the crowd cried "ever since I was a little boy I've wanted to attene the precious FIA gala"

#13 Clatter

Clatter

• 45,170 posts

Posted 09 December 2023 - 07:40

I was clearly wrong.

https://en.wikipedia...Giving_Ceremony

Did it really only start in 2011? I assumed it had been around for a lot longer.

#14 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,708 posts

Posted 09 December 2023 - 08:28

They’re introducing the Sprint Gala next year. Top three get their trophies and it’s over in 10 minutes.

#15 southernstars

southernstars

• 2,802 posts

Posted 09 December 2023 - 09:06

They’re introducing the Sprint Gala next year. Top three get their trophies and it’s over in 10 minutes.

Now that would be a sprint all the drivers would support, no doubt.

I'll be honest, I looked at a lot of the photos for WAG dresses. Geri Horner and Lily Zneimer are the winners on that front for me.

#16 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,446 posts

Posted 09 December 2023 - 11:27

Now that would be a sprint all the drivers would support, no doubt.

I'll be honest, I looked at a lot of the photos for WAG dresses. Geri Horner and Lily Zneimer are the winners on that front for me.

Not a patch on Lewis Hamilton's chequered flag outfit.

#17 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 3,849 posts

Posted 09 December 2023 - 16:14

fia-gala-sergio-perez-max-verstappen-chr

#18 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 37,804 posts

Posted 09 December 2023 - 20:52

Sulayem tie his own bowtie, Horner does not, Verstappen borrowed one from Jos from early 1980ies.

P.S. Why is Stephen Merchant there?

#19 SagemX

SagemX

• 1,333 posts

Posted 09 December 2023 - 21:40

Started off with "Lewis Hamilton reportedly made a big statement last night after the FIA Prize Giving Ceremony to “express his displeasure with the FIA” by leaving his P3 trophy behind." https://twitter.com/...592863798079929 and ended up with "Hello. I was at the Gala yesterday. Lewis Hamilton gave me the award and left. I have the prize at home now." https://twitter.com/...593650817298709

Advertisement

#20 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 37,804 posts

Posted 09 December 2023 - 21:43

Hamilton's antics are stupid.

#21 Bendo

Bendo

• 371 posts

Posted 09 December 2023 - 22:15

Hamilton's antics are stupid.

Yep. So stupid attending, being respectful and then leaving.

What stypid antics are you on about? Any old nonsense to have a go him?

Give it a rest, it's getting tedious.

#22 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 37,804 posts

Posted 09 December 2023 - 22:22

Leaving the trophy is the act of a petulant child in 1st grade, behave like an adult and you will get the respect as an adult. He is one of the best drivers to have ever been in the sport, he should act accordingly. 

#23 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 25,610 posts

Posted 09 December 2023 - 22:24

It doesn’t sound like he’s especially anxious for the FiA’s respect.

#24 Bendo

Bendo

• 371 posts

Posted 09 December 2023 - 22:33

Respect is a two way street.

Anyway, thats not a trophy, thats a hideous FIA logo. And besides that tweet, is it confirmed he left it, to be fair, the kip of it its not something I'd want to keep.

#25 Bendo

Bendo

• 371 posts

Posted 09 December 2023 - 22:36

The FIA would be better off spending the (allegedly) smal budget on something worthwhile like pro stewards than a pointless Jolly that absolutely nobody wants to attend but are forced to as part of the contract.

#26 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 37,804 posts

Posted 09 December 2023 - 22:42

He should though for the fans, if not anxious then somewhat adult.

#27 BleuMurmure

BleuMurmure

• 548 posts

Posted 09 December 2023 - 22:55

Hopefully he will have a chance to take home the second runner-up trophy next year, maybe from a new FIA president ;)

#28 IceSpeed

IceSpeed

• 877 posts

Posted 09 December 2023 - 23:07

The joys of the offseason! Even though Max has taken his third title in dominant fashion the attention is still on LH. Lewis really lives in peoples heads rent free. Unbelievable.

#29 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 16,793 posts

Posted 09 December 2023 - 23:12

Leaving the trophy is the act of a petulant child in 1st grade, behave like an adult and you will get the respect as an adult. He is one of the best drivers to have ever been in the sport, he should act accordingly. 

Did he leave it, or did he give it away though.

#30 RoryFormula1

RoryFormula1

• 238 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 04:06

Yep. So stupid attending, being respectful and then leaving.

What stypid antics are you on about? Any old nonsense to have a go him?

Give it a rest, it's getting tedious.

Yeah I wonder how many people upset about Lewis not caring about a 3rd place trophy, had very little to say about Kimi being a drunk at the awards years ago.

#31 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 13,212 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 06:08

The joys of the offseason! Even though Max has taken his third title in dominant fashion the attention is still on LH. Lewis really lives in peoples heads rent free. Unbelievable.

You can look at it the other way.
It was Lewis making a gesture to grab the headlines.
Ridiculous? As ridiculous as the claim he lives rent free in people’s heads for commenting on a special act he made.

I am all for all people to express themselves. That comes with freedom to call their behavior out as childish. So Lewis doesn’t get an exception here

#32 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 13,212 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 06:14

Yeah I wonder how many people upset about Lewis not caring about a 3rd place trophy, had very little to say about Kimi being a drunk at the awards years ago.

Seen lots of people leaving bronze medals at the olympics?
I get it they fight for first place, but he didn’t fight for it this year.
It is a disrespect to the sport and fans if he doesn’t care about the 3rd place outcome.
You take the piss it’s fair some game people take the piss at your actions.
Kimi is the same. You do what you want and say whatever is on your mind? You accept not everyone will agree

Can’t really have it both ways

#33 RoryFormula1

RoryFormula1

• 238 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 07:06

It is a disrespect to the sport and fans if he doesn’t care about the 3rd place outcome.
Kimi is the same. You do what you want and say whatever is on your mind? You accept not everyone will agree

I dunno I can’t be bothered to care about a professional athlete not caring about an also ran trophy. Nor subscribe to the notion that after showing up, accepting, speaking to the success of the actual winning team, but leaving the trophy behind is somehow disrespectful to fans/the sport. Does the concern extend to where the trophy is displayed in his home? Boy I hope Lewis doesn’t put trophies in the bathroom, someone may get the vapors. (Pun intended) Particularly when there have been examples of drunk drivers acting out at the event and the FIA president running the organization like a failure of a kid being appointed to run the company his dad built.

It all feels pearl clutchy/faux outrage to me like when people were upset because Lewis didn’t dress in black tie once or Obama wearing a tan suit.

#34 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 25,610 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 07:35

The FIA doesn’t get to be synonymous with F1 itself and make it so you therefore can’t criticise them without being accused of attacking the fans or the sport itself. Seems like Hamilton cared about winning third place just fine, he thanked the fans, teams and congratulated Red Bull and Max on their achievements in a gracious and considered speech that was very well received by the audience. Very obvious that what he specifically has is a problem with the governing body itself because of their appalling behaviour, as he explained in their press conference.

#35 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,990 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 08:39

No one drunk? Pass.  

#36 monolulu

monolulu

• 3,220 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 09:40

I think giving the award to a fan was rather nice, better than putting it in the bin!

#37 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,860 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 10:02

I think giving the award to a fan was rather nice, better than putting it in the bin!

Or breaking it!

f1-lando-norris.gif

#38 P123

P123

• 24,556 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 10:15

The final photo is a bit F1 dominated....  other champions off to the side, or hidden behind.

And the WDC trophy should be presented to the winning driver during a race weekend.  It may slightly dilute the Gala, but nobody cares about that.  We had the odd situation in 2021 of it taking pride of place between Max and Lewis pre-race, and then not being seen again.

#39 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,584 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 10:15

I was rooting for Alonso to get 3rd in the WDC. Id imagine so were Hamilton fans. Probably some team members were pushing extra hard for that. I think the ones rooting and pushing for him can be a bit disillusioned with that act.

Advertisement

#40 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 5,373 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 10:18

The final photo is a bit F1 dominated.... other champions off to the side, or hidden behind.

And the WDC trophy should be presented to the winning driver during a race weekend. It may slightly dilute the Gala, but nobody cares about that. We had the odd situation in 2021 of it taking pride of place between Max and Lewis pre-race, and then not being seen again.

Agreed. Do the presentation at Abu Dhabi and charge them another $20m for the privilege.

#41 Ali623

Ali623

• 3,662 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 10:20

@GiulyDuchessa

Mercedes note: 

Immediately after leaving the stage, and as has been done at previous prizegivings, Lewis Hamilton accepted the offer from officials for the trophy to be sent on to the team and therefore left it in their care. We can confirm he did not give the trophy to anyone ‘as a gift’ as has been speculated. 

#42 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 25,610 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 10:22

I was rooting for Alonso to get 3rd in the WDC. Id imagine so were Hamilton fans. 

I don’t think Hamilton fans were rooting for Alonso to get 3rd in the WDC.

#43 Carsey

Carsey

• 335 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 10:27

I wouldn't even say its 'making a stand' against the FIA. In my opinion, its more petulance.

FIA prize giving is a ceremony that reaches out down across all leagues of motorsport, down to all age levels. Right down to the youngsters who are karting champions, looking to progress their career up through motorsport - potentially 1 day being on the big stages such as F1, WRC etc.

I wonder what they think when they leave at the end of the night and see that someone has left their 3rd place trophy behind. What/how does that make them feel after having likely just received the same trophy for finishing 3rd in their championship. "oh its 3rd, nobody cares about that". "I haven't done well enough" Getting 3rd place in one of those lower championships could be one of the biggest achievements they have.

If you want to give your trophy away in your time - fair enough. Just pointless, in my opinion, to do it infront of all other leagues of motorsport across all age ranges to draw attention to yourself.

#44 P123

P123

• 24,556 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 10:31

I wouldn't even say its 'making a stand' against the FIA. In my opinion, its more petulance.

FIA prize giving is a ceremony that reaches out down across all leagues of motorsport, down to all age levels. Right down to the youngsters who are karting champions, looking to progress their career up through motorsport - potentially 1 day being on the big stages such as F1, WRC etc.

I wonder what they think when they leave at the end of the night and see that someone has left their 3rd place trophy behind. What/how does that make them feel after having likely just received the same trophy for finishing 3rd in their championship. "oh its 3rd, nobody cares about that". "I haven't done well enough" Getting 3rd place in one of those lower championships could be one of the biggest achievements they have.

If you want to give your trophy away in your time - fair enough. Just pointless, in my opinion, to do it infront of all other leagues of motorsport across all age ranges to draw attention to yourself.

..... Or not.

#45 se7en_24

se7en_24

• 19,548 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 10:44

Completely different, this isn't a trophy for an event, it's a questionable organisation's corporate logo. A questionable organisation whose 'leadership' has just done a massive disservice to one of Lewis' best friends. 

#46 flyboym3

flyboym3

• 2,155 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 11:08

That's not a trophy that's an FIA logo, I'm surprised MBS did not put himself on it with a crown!

I had time to watch the replay and it felt like such a horrible awkward event. Apart from Lewis nobody had any charisma or presence up there at all. Even Max seemingly has no personality up there and awkwardly stands with his side to the audience.
What was that host wearing?! She looked ridiculous and like a Christmas bell.
MBS thinks he's a great host but he has no presence either. Domenicalli was good - came across as a natural leader.

The best choreography was MBS not presenting his award for Lewis for P3 but did for P2/P1 with Perez/Max. Confirms something deep is going on.

Its become obvious to me that quite a few posters can't read a room per se: Lewis loves this sport and dedicates his life to it, and is spending millions of his own money via the Hamilton Commission to make it a better sport and more accessible. He puts his money where his mouth is, no? The other drivers just turn up and take from the sport, Lewis is giving back.

We can probably all mostly understand where Hamilton is coming from wrt to the FIA, they have treated him a bit harshly these past few years and as much as you want to dehumanise him that he should still be smiley he is human and always think how you would react these past years if that was you.

I take it Alonso couldn't be bothered to turn up to collect his action of the year award. FIA must only be able to force the top3 to turn up.

How much is the fine? Because I seriously would have boycotted it given the FIAs recent conduct.

They couldn't even bring themselves to address him as 'Sir Lewis Hamilton' - I thought that was disrespectful from the outset and set the tone.

I think the best bit is the food though I couldn't figure out what it was.

Edited by flyboym3, 10 December 2023 - 11:18.

#47 DW46

DW46

• 2,534 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 11:10

Started off with "Lewis Hamilton reportedly made a big statement last night after the FIA Prize Giving Ceremony to “express his displeasure with the FIA” by leaving his P3 trophy behind." https://twitter.com/...592863798079929 and ended up with "Hello. I was at the Gala yesterday. Lewis Hamilton gave me the award and left. I have the prize at home now." https://twitter.com/...593650817298709

Man with 103 wins forgets 3rd place trophy would have been a funny story. Assuming he left it as a middle finger to Ben, in which case 👍

Edit - turns out it’s much ado about nothing. Second back-pedalling thread for some in a week. 😂

Edited by DW46, 10 December 2023 - 11:19.

#48 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,966 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 11:31

https://twitter.com/...792547531616412

Not for the first time this week, we've been reminded why it's wise to wait for reliable information before jumping to judgements.

#49 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,446 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 11:32

@GiulyDuchessa

Mercedes note: 

Immediately after leaving the stage, and as has been done at previous prizegivings, Lewis Hamilton accepted the offer from officials for the trophy to be sent on to the team and therefore left it in their care. We can confirm he did not give the trophy to anyone ‘as a gift’ as has been speculated. 

Que?

Wouldn't it be refreshing if all those who jumped into slagging off someone, based on ignorance of the facts, would return to the thread to acknowledge they were wrong?

#50 Carsey

Carsey

• 335 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 11:36

Que?

Wouldn't it be refreshing if all those who jumped into slagging off someone, based on ignorance of the facts, would return to the thread to acknowledge they were wrong?

I seen that tweet.

I cant work out why a football pundit would be acting as a FIA official responsible for sending the award back to the team factory.

https://twitter.com/...593650817298709