• 8,509 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 00:01

Thoughts?

Advertisement

#2 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 16,062 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 01:38

Slapshoes has some really good videos, and I agree with basically everything except the pay-driver bit. NASCAR have had people racing due to money or family forever (though, I guess not so prolific as Gibbs, Dillon, Cendric etc. these days). But also, previously, instead of those kind of drivers, they had the field fillers/start and park cars.

The "Dam of legitimacy" is a good example of why I am struggling with F1 these days as well. I've been going on about track limits for years and years. Same with racing, in the way that it's been fine to just force others off track. But the increasingly random enforcements of rules. The way the FIA handled 2021, especially the end of it. Sprint races, gimmicks etc. etc.

F1's dam have cracks, and they don't patch the dam, they keep filling it up with stuff. It will end up breaking.

Edited by Myrvold, 11 December 2023 - 01:40.

#3 YamahaV10

YamahaV10

• 2,363 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 03:42

Thoughts?

Things in life go in cycles. Nascar was on top of the world in the mid 2000's and it only had one way to go at that point. Its hard to explain why things go in and out of fashion but they just do. 

If you told people in 2014-15 that Formula 1 would become the hottest sports franchise in the world by 2021-22, they'd laugh at you. But it did. That's even with F1 doing a fair amount of things wrong.

Nascar has actually managed the decline fairly well imo. It could have been a lot worse. Once and awhile they hit one out of the park. Like the Chicago street race. Basing the new car on V8 Supercars is a genius idea. I do believe though that Nascar should simplify the points system. 

Edited by YamahaV10, 11 December 2023 - 03:42.

#4 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 2,648 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 04:29

Supercars?

#5 YamahaV10

YamahaV10

• 2,363 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 05:59

Supercars?

https://www.v8sleuth...ext-gen-nascar/

#6 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 2,648 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 07:14

Yeah, Nah.

I was thinking the (mis?)handling of parity between engines, and the building criticism of the frequency/justification for 'yellows'.

Perhaps related, firstly the loss of the Falcodores, now the coming loss of the Camaro, where does the future of this series lie.  A NASCAR takeover, implicit in that article?

#7 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,509 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 08:47

Yeah, Nah.

I was thinking the (mis?)handling of parity between engines, and the building criticism of the frequency/justification for 'yellows'.

Perhaps related, firstly the loss of the Falcodores, now the coming loss of the Camaro, where does the future of this series lie.  A NASCAR takeover, implicit in that article?

The Camaro hasn't been sold in Australia since 2020, so its imminent demise from production may not be an issue for Supercars.

#8 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 62,010 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 10:53

What is the dam of legitimacy?

#9 FLB

FLB

• 30,019 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 11:03

What is the dam of legitimacy?

Something's that's currently in the process of being breached.

#10 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,681 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 11:10

To me, a dam of legitimacy is something holding back legitimacy, so breaching it sounds like a good thing.

#11 FLB

FLB

• 30,019 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 11:17

To me, a dam of legitimacy is something holding back legitimacy, so breaching it sounds like a good thing.

It's keeping legitimacy into something cohesive.

#12 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 62,010 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 11:22

Using the controlled egress of legitimacy to generate power

#13 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 62,010 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 11:23

Unless we're getting it wrong and the dam of legitimacy was built by friendly beavers as a place to store their acorns

#14 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,306 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 11:29

Using the controlled egress of legitimacy to generate power

Careful there Risil. That jackass Musk will try to appropriate this concept and establish an energy company with it.

Jp

#15 FLB

FLB

• 30,019 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 11:40

Unless we're getting it wrong and the dam of legitimacy was built by friendly beavers as a place to store their acorns

Well, the Dutch (humans   ;)  ) built one to pretect themselves from being flooded. It helps them to have a safe place to live: Home - The Afsluitdijk

#16 H0R

H0R

• 4,127 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 11:41

[...] Musk will [...] establish a rich energy company with it.

Just sayin' ;-)

#17 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 62,010 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 11:43

Well, the Dutch (humans  ;) ) built one to pretect themselves from being flooded. It helps them to have a safe place to live: Home - The Afsluitdijk

Is that a dam or a levee/dyke?

#18 FLB

FLB

• 30,019 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 11:49

Is that a dam or a levee/dyke?

Well, they (themselves) call it a dam, so I guess it is:

Source: Home - The Afsluitdijk

The Afsluitdijk. Ready for the future

The Afsluitdijk has protected us against the force of water for 90 years.
In the years ahead, Rijkswaterstaat and De Nieuwe Afsluitdijk will make the dam ready for the future.

Edited by FLB, 11 December 2023 - 11:50.

#19 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,019 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 19:04

Slapshoes has some really good videos, and I agree with basically everything except the pay-driver bit. NASCAR have had people racing due to money or family forever (though, I guess not so prolific as Gibbs, Dillon, Cendric etc. these days).

The problem is those paid drivers came in an era in which anyone who had the budget - and that budget was within reach of many - could turn up and race. 

One of the many, many, many bad decisions that has turned NASCAR from a must-see into a ****-this is the exclusion of those drivers in favour of franchises.  That the 500 went from a race-your-way-in to you-are-guaranteed-if-you-are-one-of-us.  And when there are franchises then the nepo babies are not adding to the field; they are subtracting from it.

And F1 has made the same move.  Brilliant for those the right side of the fence, but appalling and destructive for anyone who is not.