Photo

Arise Sir Ron

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,729 posts

Posted 29 December 2023 - 23:17

Ron Dennis being knighted for services to industry and charity in the New Years Honours List.  Not usually a fan of these but think wider recognition is long overdue in this case

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,874 posts

Posted 29 December 2023 - 23:55

Ron Dennis being knighted for services to industry and charity in the New Years Honours List.  Not usually a fan of these but think wider recognition is long overdue in this case

I think the Grauniad's suggestion that he was 'founder and former chief executive of the sports car manufacturer McLaren' is a tad inaccurate though.

In other news Christian Horner is made a CBE.

#3 amerikalei

amerikalei

• 274 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 00:50

Good for him!  I really hope he gets the right biographer and is remembered as a competitor and racer above all.  My first knowledge of him was as a meticulous preparer of racing cars (Rondel).  A friend had a FAtl BT-38 with Rondel heritage in the late 70's, which was the first time I heard the name.  I hope someday RD is able to recollect and document the early years up to 1980 as well as the later highs and lows, and speak freely about the times.

#4 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,060 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 05:18

It's a Long Way to the Top

1971: Jeff Heselwood told the yarn about Ron insisting that the screwheads on the racking in the team truck all had to be aligned.

Thruxton 1973: 1st Henri Pescarolo, Motul M1. “It might be a lousy car at the moment’ said Ron Dennis, “but at least they are reliable."  

Pau 1974: Running in Ron Dennis’ third Ecuador Team Marlboro Surtees TS15A set up was Tim Schenken, 6th.

"The Ecuadorians Guillermo Ortega and Fausto Merello in thelr smart Marlboro Surtees-BMWs." DNQ.

RGDS RLT

Edited by Rupertlt1, 30 December 2023 - 05:47.

#5 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 10:03

I think the Grauniad's suggestion that he was 'founder and former chief executive of the sports car manufacturer McLaren' is a tad inaccurate though.

Far be it for me to denigrate the Grauniad's inaccuracy, but in this instance, aren't they perfectly correct?  McLaren Automotive, the sports car manufacturer, produced its first car, the F1, in 1992. Sir Don Rennis had been the CEO in charge of the whole group since the 1980s, so could certainly be considered the founder of that part of the McLaren empire.

Anyway, many congratulatory sentiments to the new knight.

#6 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 2,545 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 12:07

And when Project Four Racing and the Bruce McLaren companies merged, they had a new company registration (McLaren International). Pedantry aside, well deserved, Ron.

#7 Coral

Coral

• 6,788 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 12:30

Congrats Sir Ron! :)

#8 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,729 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 15:01

Unfortunately this seemingly late recognition somewhat sullied by claims of cronyism due to his donating a significant sum to the tories though it doesn't specify when .

Cronyism claims as at least seven Tory donors included in honours list (msn.com)

Edited by LittleChris, 30 December 2023 - 15:02.

#9 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 860 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 15:21

I seem to remember Ron putting a lot of money into good causes during COVID.   Of course the labour party are equally guilty or rewarding supporters. 

#10 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 15:36

So he got it at last. At the time he was trying to make Lydden Hill his new HQ and test track there was a rumour that unpopularity over it might compromise a future "K".  

Edited by RS2000, 30 December 2023 - 15:36.

#11 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 15:51

and about time, too.

#12 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,472 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 16:03

Good for him! I really hope he gets the right biographer and is remembered as a competitor and racer above all. My first knowledge of him was as a meticulous preparer of racing cars (Rondel). A friend had a FAtl BT-38 with Rondel heritage in the late 70's, which was the first time I heard the name. I hope someday RD is able to recollect and document the early years up to 1980 as well as the later highs and lows, and speak freely about the times.

Don’t know where you are, but if in the States am curious… was your friend Tom Sokoly?

First time I ever heard of Bobby Rahal was at a 1973 Driver’s School at Road America. He was in a Rondel BT38 you mentioned, and the fastest “student” I ever saw — by miles.

#13 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,729 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 20:00

I seem to remember Ron putting a lot of money into good causes during COVID.   Of course the labour party are equally guilty or rewarding supporters. 

Absolutely, pretty much sums up politicians and their "friends" as a whole. 

#14 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,535 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 22:47

RD has for many years been extremely (yet discreetly) active behind the scenes in matters unassociated with motor sport, including most notably charitable, industrial, medical and educational matters.  Public recognition as just announced has been hard-earned.  It is very well deserved.

DCN

#15 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 31 December 2023 - 10:34

Absolutely, pretty much sums up politicians and their "friends" as a whole. 

Perhaps the major political parties should agree that no-one who donates to them should be eligible for any honour.

I am sure the parties would fall over themsleves to support such an idea.   ;)

#16 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,590 posts

Posted 31 December 2023 - 12:35

Perhaps the major political parties should agree that no-one who donates to them should be eligible for any honour.

I am sure the parties would fall over themsleves to support such an idea.   ;)

Last Saturday's Times quoted an exact figure for Ron's political contributions. Over the period stated they certainly didn't appear to me to be aimed at political influence. Ron and I never met, but I've known or worked with a few people who knew him, and I never heard a bad word from any of them on the subject, just respect and usually admiration, and that's good enough for me.

#17 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 1,091 posts

Posted 31 December 2023 - 16:49

It’s hard to overstate the reverence and respect in which Sir Ron is held within the McLaren diaspora. Of course if one has an axe to grind then people can drag up something to use as a stick to beat him with (edit: unintended mixed metaphor but I'll let it stand!), but you can’t exist and succeed in racing for as long as he did without peeing off some people who, generally speaking, couldn’t cut the mustard. It is the same for Roger Penske, who enjoys similar limitless admiration from those whose lives have been improved and enriched by his effort, yet is a target for some geniuses who have never met him but have been wound up by some rubbish they have read. I am not going to go into any detail but if it would not have been for Ron’s personal intervention then I would have lost my younger brother when he became gravely ill earlier this year, this cruelly happening during the immediate aftermath of the loss of our youngest brother. So yes, I am unabashedly a huge fan of RD’s, because I’ve seen and experienced first hand how he looks after his people, the lengths he goes to to help them when they are in dire situations and the loyalty he is afforded by them in return.

Edited by Nigel Beresford, 31 December 2023 - 18:13.

#18 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,472 posts

Posted 31 December 2023 - 17:21

It’s always a distinct pleasure seeing you here, Nigel.

So very sorry about your brothers. But what a grand effort to have help like this, and from a source that very few actually know. Racing, and forums, are far more powerful with engineers and contributors like yourself, and employers like Mr. Dennis.

All the Best, and I mean it. Thanks for sharing your soul, and Happy New Year.

#19 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 1,091 posts

Posted 31 December 2023 - 18:11

Thanks Eric, that's really kind of you. As I've said before, I like to try to provide factual and objective perspectives when I can. Clearly we all harbour our own opinions as to who are heroes and who are villains. As I like to say, in Racing there are only two kinds of people - "good guys" and "w*nkers", and one person's "good guy" is another person's "w*nker". It all comes down to personal experience. This was my personal experience for what it's worth.