- - - - -

Ron Dennis knighted, Christian Horner awarded a CBE

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,710 posts

Posted 29 December 2023 - 23:19

As the traditional list of honours was revealed on Friday night, Dennis was announced as being given a Knighthood for services to industry and charity, through his current work as Podium Analytics chair and Tommy’s Campaign chairman.

He had previously been recognised with a CBE for his contribution to motor racing, having helped lead McLaren for more than 30 years as he steered the Woking-based squad to multiple title successes.

Horner had previously been made an Officer of the British Empire in 2013, when Red Bull enjoyed a run of four consecutive title doubles from 2010. But now, having helped guide Red Bull to one of the most dominant F1 campaigns in history as Max Verstappen grabbed his third consecutive drivers’ crown, he has been elevated to the status of Commander of the Order of the British Empire for his services to motor racing.

I had thought the time for Ron's elevation to Sir Ron had been and gone, but his post-McLaren charity work has finally given him a well deserved gong. Now becoming a rare off-track racing knight alongside his contemporary and oft-rival Sir Frank Williams.

Horner also gets a promotion after successfully delivering a run of success to the great English town of Milton Keynes!

Full article: https://www.autospor...-list/10561424/

Edited by Fastcake, 29 December 2023 - 23:20.

Advertisement

#2 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 50,515 posts

Posted 29 December 2023 - 23:29

Both well deserved.

#3 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 65,649 posts

Posted 29 December 2023 - 23:44

About bloody time!

#4 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,887 posts

Posted 29 December 2023 - 23:44

Horrid day.

Joking. Both deserve it obviously.

Newey and Brawn next please.

Edited by OvDrone, 30 December 2023 - 14:33.

#5 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,898 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 00:14

YES, Ron has deserved this for a REALLY REALLY long time. Adrian Newey should be knighted as well, and arguably so does Gordon Murray!

As much as I dislike Christian, he absolutely deserves it

#6 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 46,521 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 00:15

Cheeky-Girls.jpg

He's a fun guy.

Jp

#7 Bleu

Bleu

• 6,724 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 07:23

Would have been great if Sir Frank would have been able to talk to Sir Ron.

1003996.jpg

#8 macjim

macjim

• 180 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 08:46

About time, Ron is one of the men who began to  turn F1 into the professional sports teasm we have today.

Christian's award is also well desrved, as much as he gets right up my beak, you cannot deny what a success he has made of RBR.

#9 messy

messy

• 7,939 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 10:24

I like Ron Dennis, always have done, such a crucial figure in motorsport and I've never found his character as offensive as others seem to.

Horner I'm not a fan of, but...grudgingly....its deserved.

#10 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 18,277 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 10:26

Can only repeat Risil's words. About bloody time!

#11 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 6,119 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 10:45

Cheeky-Girls.jpg

He's a fun guy.

Jp

Never thought I’d see Ron and the Cheeky Girls in one picture.

#12 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,988 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 10:52

Both well deserved.

As much as I can't stand Horner, agreed.

#13 H0R

H0R

• 4,430 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 11:28

And it's roaring silence from the team that abuses the McLaren name today.

#14 blackmme

blackmme

• 1,057 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 11:30

Thoroughly, thoroughly deserved!  Sir Ron Dennis is a brilliant man who pulled himself up from his bootstraps.

Regards Mike

(edited to be specific about Sir Ron, not that I begrudge Christian his CBE).

Edited by blackmme, 30 December 2023 - 11:35.

#15 EvilPhil II

EvilPhil II

• 1,959 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 13:23

So happy for Ron. Amazing news and after how the F1 side of things ended with Mosley's antics and then internal McLaren politics I believe this goes some way to making up for that. 

#16 Pingu Pi

Pingu Pi

• 3,117 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 13:33

Both far from the perfect, but both absolutely admiral - it takes strong ambition and ability to achieve what they have in driving F1 and their respective teams forward. Well deserved for both.

I think Newey deserves a knighthood though for pure ability and achievement in sport and should be acknowledged now rather than later or when it's too late. Right up there with Britain's greatest sportsmen - just not acknowledged due to technicality. 

#17 kumo7

kumo7

• 8,541 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 13:56

indeed, it is about the time! Happy for both.

#18 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,796 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 14:13

I'd like to see Dennis in the House of Lords. They could do with a bit of Ron-speak. On the other hand, I think appointments by recent prime ministers suggest Christian is less likely to get in than Geri.

#19 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,984 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 14:19

Full establishment figures now. Congratulations on that, at least.

Advertisement

#20 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,898 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 15:26

And it's roaring silence from the team that abuses the McLaren name today.

I expected this. The ownership wants nothing to do with Dennis. Whenever they post anything in their socials about McLaren, they strategically omit anything related to Ron. It's a crying shame, I've learned to not get angry about it anymore. 

#21 BertoC

BertoC

• 1,921 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 16:33

Congrats Ronald, well deserved ❤️

Edited by BertoC, 30 December 2023 - 16:34.

#22 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,968 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 17:00

Well deserved to both, showing Britain’s continued role at the centre of motorsport

#23 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,988 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 18:03

I expected this. The ownership wants nothing to do with Dennis. Whenever they post anything in their socials about McLaren, they strategically omit anything related to Ron. It's a crying shame, I've learned to not get angry about it anymore. 

Why is this?

#24 mstar

mstar

• 1,863 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 18:42

these get given out too easy.  I like to hear what horner did other than run a F1 team for the good of the good in people, e.g charity, helping others, donations etc etc?

#25 loki

loki

• 13,469 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 18:58

50643450682_4ff4353c1c_w_d.jpg

#26 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,984 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 19:20

these get given out too easy. I like to hear what horner did other than run a F1 team for the good of the good in people, e.g charity, helping others, donations etc etc?

The honours system in the UK is complete BS. It means nothing to me if someone receives one. I would not accept one (if I were to be awarded one for e.g. services to negative posts on the internet).

#27 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 50,515 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 19:52

If it means nothing to you ignore it. It’s not BS.

#28 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,968 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 20:43

Why is this?

Most likely a hangover from his fallout with Mansour Ojjeh

#29 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,898 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 21:04

Why is this?

Most likely a hangover from his fallout with Mansour Ojjeh

It likely is related to the above, and I believe they got the courts involved in his payout as well. 

#30 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 46,521 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 21:51

Never thought I’d see Ron and the Cheeky Girls in one picture.

I surreptitiously kind of set that up for the Autosport awards show at the NEC. I set the photo op schedules with Chris Adamson the production manager for the event. He had no clue as to who was who so when Ron had his appointed time I said “Put the Cheekys on at the same time as Ron loves the hot girlies etc”… Adamson laughed and said … Whatever Ron likes Ron gets”. I stood there with Bev Turner as she wagged her finger at me and smiled.

Jp

#31 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,984 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 22:14

If it means nothing to you ignore it. It’s not BS.

Well it's at least a matter of opinion.

#32 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,796 posts

Posted 31 December 2023 - 10:12

I surreptitiously kind of set that up for the Autosport awards show at the NEC. I set the photo op schedules with Chris Adamson the production manager for the event. He had no clue as to who was who so when Ron had his appointed time I said “Put the Cheekys on at the same time as Ron loves the hot girlies etc”… Adamson laughed and said … Whatever Ron likes Ron gets”. I stood there with Bev Turner as she wagged her finger at me and smiled.

Jp

Jon, you're the one who deserves the knight-hood.

#33 Brian60

Brian60

• 643 posts

Posted 31 December 2023 - 10:57

these get given out too easy.  I like to hear what horner did other than run a F1 team for the good of the good in people, e.g charity, helping others, donations etc etc?

Well he did ensure his no 1 driver helped out with doing 'charitable' work a couple years back! Remember Max pciking up a penalty that resulted in doing 'community work for the FIA?

#34 macjim

macjim

• 180 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 10:15

Looks like they finally remembered.

https://www.instagra.../p/C1jbugFobMS/

#35 H0R

H0R

• 4,430 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 10:21

Finally.

#36 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 65,649 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 11:47

Looks like they finally remembered.

https://www.instagra.../p/C1jbugFobMS/

Love the charming but very stupid top comment on that post: "Mr McLaren himself"

#37 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,898 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 15:49

Love the charming but very stupid top comment on that post: "Mr McLaren himself"

When you cut him, he bleeds McLaren!

#38 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,954 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 21:06

Congrats to both men. Both well deserved.

I don't always like the way Horner as achieved success for RBR, but it's undeniable that he's done it....and within the rules - at least as much as any team has been within the rules. 

Dennis should have been knighted years ago. 

#39 EvilPhil II

EvilPhil II

• 1,959 posts

Posted 13 June 2024 - 23:31

BBC HARDtalk

Sir Ron Dennis Founder McLaren Group 2024

Stephen Sackur speaks to Sir Ron Dennis, founder of the McLaren Group and one of the most successful-ever team leaders in Formula 1 racing.

https://www.youtube....h?v=yPyYKAmDO6I

Advertisement

#40 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,898 posts

Posted 14 June 2024 - 00:59

Too bad Stephen was more interested in sounding like an obnoxious know-it-all than listening to what Ron had to say. What a waste of Ron's time that was. 

#41 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 46,521 posts

Posted 14 June 2024 - 09:53

THANK YOU mclarensmps…
I’m glad someone said this.
Probably the most repugnant person on the BBC with his probing question BS…Trying to create a scandalous news item out of every interjection.

There’s no one I switch off quicker.
Jp

#42 1player

1player

• 1,983 posts

Posted 14 June 2024 - 10:59

Youtube has been recommending this 2-hours long interview with Sir Ron:

Edited by 1player, 14 June 2024 - 11:03.

#43 Counterbalance

Counterbalance

• 1,739 posts

Posted 14 June 2024 - 12:43

Too bad Stephen was more interested in sounding like an obnoxious know-it-all than listening to what Ron had to say. What a waste of Ron's time that was.

The interview wasn’t that bad, he had to cover Ron’s career from start to finish in a few short minutes. We on here are hardcore F1 enthusiasts so will have likely known Ron’s story, but to others, not so much. Either way, I think we can all agree that the current McLaren board and senior team members regard him like shit. Without him McLaren wouldn’t be the team it is today, if at all.

Edited by Counterbalance, 14 June 2024 - 12:47.

#44 H0R

H0R

• 4,430 posts

Posted 14 June 2024 - 14:33

Either way, I think we can all agree that the current McLaren board and senior team members regard him like ****. 

Which is a disgrace. I can highly recommond the Subreddit r/RonDennis for some mostly tongue in cheek appreciation and worship of Ron and absolutely not-tongue-in-cheek bashing of the current board.

Edited by H0R, 14 June 2024 - 14:34.

#45 New Britain

New Britain

• 8,619 posts

Posted 14 June 2024 - 15:09

The interview wasn’t that bad, he had to cover Ron’s career from start to finish in a few short minutes. We on here are hardcore F1 enthusiasts so will have likely known Ron’s story, but to others, not so much. Either way, I think we can all agree that the current McLaren board and senior team members regard him like ****. Without him McLaren wouldn’t be the team it is today, if at all.

Is that right? I'm not saying that it's wrong, but this is the first time I have heard it, and I may be a bit more involved with the McLaren organsation than the average person is. AFAIK, the ill-will was between Ron and Mansour, and I have been told there was more than one incident, including something personal, that long preceded any disagreement over the valuation of Ron's shares. Ultimately the Bahrainis sided with Mansour, and that was predictable (not saying inevitable), but (again, AFAIK) there were no personal issues between the Bahrainis and him, so I'm not sure why today the current McLaren board and team members would regard him 'like sh!t'. Zak Brown was personally recruited and hired by Ron. Andrea Stella and Peter Prodromou were hired by Ron.

What I consistently saw over a period of many years was that, although not everyone at McLaren felt an affinity towards Ron, nonetheless (almost) everyone respected him.

#46 Brackets

Brackets

• 5,868 posts

Posted 14 June 2024 - 16:10

Either way, I think we can all agree that the current McLaren board and senior team members regard him like ****

Is that right? I'm not saying that it's wrong, ...

Well, if it is right, it would be wrong too :D

#47 New Britain

New Britain

• 8,619 posts

Posted 14 June 2024 - 17:08

Well, if it is right, it would be wrong too :D

Agreed and, if it were wrong, it would be right.  ;)

#48 pdac

pdac

• 18,188 posts

Posted 14 June 2024 - 20:36

Two Rons don't make a Wright.

#49 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,796 posts

Posted 14 June 2024 - 20:45

Youtube has been recommending this 2-hours long interview with Sir Ron:

I recommend it too. It's brilliant, and the nearest thing to an autobiography we are likely to get.

#50 New Britain

New Britain

• 8,619 posts

Posted 14 June 2024 - 21:05

BBC HARDtalk

Sir Ron Dennis Founder McLaren Group 2024

Stephen Sackur speaks to Sir Ron Dennis, founder of the McLaren Group and one of the most successful-ever team leaders in Formula 1 racing.

https://www.youtube....h?v=yPyYKAmDO6I

An odd thing about the interview (beyond Stephen Sackur himself) was when Ron said that his last day at the company was his 70th birthday, and that had been the plan all along. That may have determined the exact day when Ron would depart, but only a few weeks before that Ron lost in High Court his claim that he was entitled to buy the company off the other shareholders. By losing that ruling, it was already known that he was going to be sacked. If he had won that ruling, he certainly would not have retired on his 70th birthday.

It was also odd that he implied that the reason the FIA was forced to relinquish its financial interest in the Commercial Rights was because he, Frank, and Ken had complained to the EU about the FIA's obvious conflict of interest. They may have complained informally, but there were 3 formal complaints, all lodged by parties unrelated to F1 and those three team bosses.

The salient problem was that there was a truck racing series and its preferred race dates were getting systematically moved around by the FIA whenever there was an F1 race scheduled on the same weekend in Europe - that was the basis of the complaints.

There may have been other disputes, but the one of which I am aware was between Ron, Frank, and Ken and Bernie. When negotiating (I think it was) the 1997 agreement, the three believed that Bernie had agreed to give their three teams a piece of the commercial action in return for their signing it. When it turned out that Bernie saw it differently and was giving them nada, the three went to his office to insist that Bernie live up to his word. In his kind and gentle way, Bernie recommended that they study the fine print of the agreement and then Foxtrot Oscar.