* * * * * 1 votes

McLaren 2024 team thread

• Please log in to reply
1429 replies to this topic

#1 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,279 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 07:16

After a hugely memorable 2023, it’s a new year filled with optimism.

Two great young drivers.

Momentum in development.

New infrastructure coming up to speed.

Technical hires joining the team.

My targets would be - close the race pace gap to Red Bull, better tyre life, plenty podiums, win or wins on merit.

Looking forward to it hugely.

Advertisement

#2 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 2,696 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 09:27

Oscar is so much better than Lando, Lando chokes too much and Oscar is the best rookie in history...

Nailed it!  First reply!

#3 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 2,696 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 09:28

...Lando is actually going to have a sensational year I think....

I want to see Oscar improve on race pace and be more of a thorn in Lando's side in that department

I want to see McLaren start within 0.2 or 0.3 sec of Redbull from the get go....

#4 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 2,696 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 09:30

Sorry, last post.... I actually think the infrastructure is the big deal, even more so than the recruitments.  I know you can't make use of the tools without the skills but you also can't do the right job without the right tools.

I really feel McLaren have got their investment just right at the moment...

Gosh there's going to be a lot of expectation on them, more than any other team this year I think...

#5 BertoC

BertoC

• 1,662 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 10:34

As a pessimist (in sports, Im an optimist in "real life") I've already set up 2024 for disapointment. 2022 is still fresh and it still hurts, even though deep down Im well aware how different both scenarios are. Of course that will change if Mika comes ahead again with good news, I'll hop in the hype train asap.

#6 DW46

DW46

• 1,861 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 11:03

Realist - Back in 4th after a year long scrap with Merc.
Optimist - Join the fight at the front.

#7 eab

eab

• 1,028 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 12:38

As a pessimist (in sports, Im an optimist in "real life") I've already set up 2024 for disapointment. 2022 is still fresh and it still hurts, even though deep down Im well aware how different both scenarios are. Of course that will change if Mika comes ahead again with good news, I'll hop in the hype train asap.

Optimist - Join the fight at the front.

Exactly, me myself being a HäkkinenistA, will simply put my ear to the ground Mika the Sage walks on, and all will follow suit.

#8 New Britain

New Britain

• 7,984 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 14:49

...Lando is actually going to have a sensational year I think....

I want to see Oscar improve on race pace and be more of a thorn in Lando's side in that department

I want to see McLaren start within 0.2 or 0.3 sec of Redbull from the get go....

Yes - assuming that the 0.2 or 0.3 sec is the gap from McLaren back to Red Bull!

#9 southernstars

southernstars

• 2,208 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 22:35

50 days, 8 and a half hours til pre-season testing

58 days til the "first race"

79 days til the season really starts (so sue me, I'm a traditionalist, the season should always start in Melbourne).

#10 DW46

DW46

• 1,861 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 23:01

Exactly, me myself being a HäkkinenistA, will simply put my ear to the ground Mika the Sage walks on, and all will follow suit.

Oracle should do a deal with Mika.

#11 chumma

chumma

• 1,347 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 08:31

Really hoping last year wasn’t an aberration and i dont think it was. They were calm, methodical in their approach to updates, and had a map of what they wanted to do. Last years car was also a huge compromise, I think they can unlock a chunk of performance from that alone, not even factoring in the suspension tricks they learned from Red Bull. Add to that a Mercedes engine that is optimised for their package (and not zero-pod) i think McLaren should in theory close up to Red Bull and stretch their legs to the rest.

Red Bull not developing their car for half the year to focus on this years car is a scary thought though. As long as they hit the ground running from the first race and dont make a huge error with the car, then I think we could be in for our best year since 2012.

Cheers everyone to a good year to come.

#12 Beri

Beri

• 11,670 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 08:47

This is the kind of winter season where one expects that McLaren will jump up. Even me.

So a season without a Grand Prix victory, is a season that doesnt meet the expectations. Lets hope for the best.

#13 1player

1player

• 1,318 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 08:48

Hoping we haven't made a step back this year, this year for me it's all about the first Lando win, to see all the haters eat crow and stop the comparison with Heidfeld and Hulkenberg that were tired 6 months ago already.

I will remind you that, if I recall correctly as of right now, Lando is as winless as was Mika Hakkinen before his first. We never mention him in these stats because he did eventually win, but our prophet had to suffer as well before reaching the top spot. Seeing Lando's performance last year, and having the most number of P2 podiums, only blind fools can't see it is just a matter of time (and of a good car) to see him truly shine.

Oh, it's going to be glorious. There's going to be so much gloating from me the day he wins.

#14 southernstars

southernstars

• 2,208 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 08:51

Some of you all would never have survived as Mark Webber fans.

#15 New Britain

New Britain

• 7,984 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 10:13

Hoping we haven't made a step back this year, this year for me it's all about the first Lando win, to see all the haters eat crow and stop the comparison with Heidfeld and Hulkenberg that were tired 6 months ago already.

I will remind you that, if I recall correctly as of right now, Lando is as winless as was Mika Hakkinen before his first. We never mention him in these stats because he did eventually win, but our prophet had to suffer as well before reaching the top spot. Seeing Lando's performance last year, and having the most number of P2 podiums, only blind fools can't see it is just a matter of time (and of a good car) to see him truly shine.

Oh, it's going to be glorious. There's going to be so much gloating from me the day he wins.

Good call. Mika's first season was 1991. In the ensuing years he scored 15 podiums before his first win, in the final race of 1997. :up:

#16 Oblivion

Oblivion

• 1,413 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 10:34

79 days til the season really starts (so sue me, I'm a traditionalist, the season should always start in Melbourne).

And 44 days till the car's reveal.

I hope it features some transparent bodywork.

Edited by Oblivion, 02 January 2024 - 10:35.

#17 southernstars

southernstars

• 2,208 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 11:53

Oh good point, some launches to break the monotony of off-season.

Can McLaren please take their Australian driver's Australian supporters/family into account this time? Last year the launch was at stupid o'clock for us. Mercedes were much nicer and there are no Aussies there!

#18 Beri

Beri

• 11,670 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 12:28

Nope, the Grand Prix weekend starts in 58 days. The first Grand Prix itself will be in 60. Will be strange having the first 2 Grands Prix on a saturday instead of sunday.

#19 1player

1player

• 1,318 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 13:40

Good call. Mika's first season was 1991. In the ensuing years he scored 15 podiums before his first win, in the final race of 1997. :up:

Aye, Lando's at 13 podiums right now. Though I imagine after his first win they'll make comparisons with Maldonado and Ocon...

Advertisement

#20 kumo7

kumo7

• 7,278 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 13:41

Optimist - Be the leader of the entire grid

corrected.  :cool:

#21 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,762 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 14:05

That's the livery reveal, don't think it will be the new car.

#22 Oblivion

Oblivion

• 1,413 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 14:57

All in all we will have something to be excited of.

#23 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,647 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 15:22

I am a Mark Webber fan, and I'm still alive and kicking!

#24 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,647 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 15:24

Aye, Lando's at 13 podiums right now. Though I imagine after his first win they'll make comparisons with Maldonado and Ocon...

I am taking it as a Personal slight that you mentioned Lando and Pastor in the same sentence

#25 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,762 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 15:51

All in all we will have something to be excited of.

The paint work doesn't excite me, it adds nothing to performance.

#26 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 2,696 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 19:26

I am taking it as a Personal slight that you mentioned Lando and Pastor in the same sentence

Exactly!  Pastor was a proven race winner! :)

#27 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,413 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 19:43

This is the kind of winter season where one expects that McLaren will jump up. Even me.

That's kinda why I see McLaren as a good candidate to be the disappointment of the season.

Not that I wouldn't like Norris and Piastri to be given a shot at fighting for race wins on merit next year but I don't quite see many reasons to expect that McLaren will be better than 4th best team. They may be but it's not something that I see as inevitable, Maybe a 30% chance if you ask me.

#28 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 2,696 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 19:52

That's kinda why I see McLaren as a good candidate to be the disappointment of the season.

Not that I wouldn't like Norris and Piastri to be given a shot at fighting for race wins on merit next year but I don't quite see many reasons to expect that McLaren will be better than 4th best team. They may be but it's not something that I see as inevitable, Maybe a 30% chance if you ask me.

I think the positivity is due to several reasons, outside the norm of any team over a season/winter break:

They knew and said at the very beginning of last season they had their concept wrong - thats probably not a unique situation internally for a team to know their car sucks before the season starts but certainly unique to pretty much say so at launch

They were confident they would turn it around

Their change in concept didn't bring the usual 0.1 sec with 'we need time to learn the changes in concept' - they worked immediately, and hugely - unlike Mercedes and Aston in particular

They did all this wth the old resources, eg not the new wind tunnel

Subsequent updates continued to work the moment they went on the car, so it's not as if they did one big jump and then immediately hit a wall (like Aston)

They have stated there's more potential there, no reason not to believe them as they have proven themselves so far

They have the technical investment and personnel investment to now tap into

The only question mark for me is the aforementioned investment in both facilities and personnel not muddying their development path... that to me is the only risk against progression

#29 jensfan09

jensfan09

• 943 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 20:16

I trust in the leadership of Andrea Stella!

#30 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,918 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 20:38

And the return of the rear wing of justice!

#31 MP418

MP418

• 35 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 02:35

Why a livery reveal when they change their livery before every other race weekend? 😄

I hope "livery reveal" means a new livery, and by "new" I mean really new. That orange makes the cars and everything look so cheap. If they keep it, they should at least use it reservedly, only as an accent colour (and without any further accent colours), for example as much as there was red in the West livery.

Edited by MP418, 03 January 2024 - 02:35.

#32 gowebber

gowebber

• 7,228 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 05:06

Alot of excitement around McLaren for this season. Hopefully more wins on the board including Lando's first! Fantastic driver line up in Lando and Oscar. Oscar still has alot of room to improve too just coming out of his rookie season which is quite ominous for Lando and the rest of the grid given the level that he is already at imo. Can't wait for the first race. Already seems like ages since the drivers crossed the finish line in Abu Dhabi!

Edited by gowebber, 03 January 2024 - 05:08.

#33 gowebber

gowebber

• 7,228 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 05:09

Ugh no need to remind me of those dark days! If only he didn't bin it in Korea in 2010 in those wet conditions!  :(

Edited by gowebber, 03 January 2024 - 05:33.

#34 southernstars

southernstars

• 2,208 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 06:36

Ugh no need to remind me of those dark days! If only he didn't bin it in Korea in 2010 in those wet conditions!  :(

I was referring to the long, long wait for his first win...not that terrible thing we don't discuss!  :cry:

#35 Ben1980

Ben1980

• 1,156 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 07:22

I think, being realistic, we will be in a battle with Ferrari and Mercedes. Sometimes up, sometimes down. Just don't see that Mclaren or anyone else will close the gap enough to Red Bull.

#36 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,571 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 07:36

After the turn around the team put in last year, I have high hopes for them this season. If they start well they should be doing really well.

#37 kumo7

kumo7

• 7,278 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 09:09

It has been ups and downs since Honda days, there is no reason for any hiccups. McLaren had them all. Got to say, I keep cross my fingers. Never know till the day one.

#38 frosty125

frosty125

• 1,127 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 10:43

2024 is the best chance McLaren have had for a while at having a good season, but Mercedes, Ferrari and Aston could all make big gains and I think Red Bull will take a step.

#39 Grippy

Grippy

• 432 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 13:42

At the end of the UK coverage they played 'Rain' by Mika, and whenever I hear it now it takes me right back to that race.

Advertisement

#40 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 11,370 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 16:10

I don't want to get into anything, but the Redbull RB20 has failed its crash test.

#41 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,647 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 16:31

Exactly!  Pastor was a proven race winner! :)

:mad:

#42 jensfan09

jensfan09

• 943 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 17:20

I don't want to get into anything, but the Redbull RB20 has failed its crash test.

It’s not uncommon for teams to fail the first crash test, as they test the limits of construction, I don’t see it being a problem going forward!

#43 SparkPlug86

SparkPlug86

• 1,974 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 19:02

I'll just say it... I want us to fight for wins and the championship THIS year!  :up:

#44 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,762 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 19:23

Not unusual. If they pass everything first time, it could mean it's over-engineered and carrying excess weight.

Edited by Clatter, 03 January 2024 - 19:25.

#45 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,762 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 19:26

I'll just say it... I want us to fight for wins and the championship THIS year!  :up:

Would think/hope we all do, but what we want.and what we get, don't always coincide.

#46 southernstars

southernstars

• 2,208 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 21:09

Happened with the RB19 too, so don't get excited.

#47 kumo7

kumo7

• 7,278 posts

Posted 04 January 2024 - 04:53

Newey does make his ambition too large to fit into his car. So we will never know.

Even if it starts the 2024 season with 19, it could still run away. 

#48 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 04 January 2024 - 16:53

Brown sets clear McLaren target for start of 2024 as he says team are ‘feeling good about development’

https://www.formula1...s0xLS5kbZP.html

#49 eab

eab

• 1,028 posts

Posted 04 January 2024 - 19:02

But what, if anything, does Mika say?

#50 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,918 posts

Posted 04 January 2024 - 21:52

At this rate, we’re heading for team MikaLaren!