https://youtu.be/raTrLQU5_J0

https://youtu.be/zWCrstES3Fg

mqdefault.jpg

Advertisement

#2 10kDA

10kDA

• 1,000 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 12:04

LOL - and about a dozen years before that, MAD Magazine ran a bit about auto racing, proposing to mount switches on cars' front and rear bumpers that, when activated by contact with another car, set off explosive charges blowing up the car, removing uncertainty about the outcome  for those fans who came to the races "only for the crashes." I thought that was the perfect rule for big-rig racing. I can't understand why it wouldn't catch on. :rotfl:

#3 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,472 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 15:16

Bob, were you per chance at the first SCCA National at the newly-renamed Brainerd International Raceway? It was in 1974, and called the “Uncola Nationals.”

There was indeed a semi-struck race, between Paul Newman and Bob Tullius, and two others I’ve forgotten. It was so utterly ridiculous as to be really fun to watch.

As luck would have it, we bought a stack of discounted movies recently, and just saw “Smoky” last week for the first time in this Millennium.

#4 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 15:31

Hang on there... Is this the Transporters thread?  :confused:  :lol:

#5 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,472 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 16:00

An interesting part about this is…

Would oval track fencing keep one of these from launching into the bleachers?

Heck No!

Viva la Tohellwithit! Viva la ‘70s! Viva la SuregladIwasthere!!!

#6 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 17:18

I recall the MAD Magazine piece. As part of a parody of "Wide World of Sports", it was Minefield Stock Car racing and the Summer Ski Jumping Championship (or some sort). The friction of the ski jump in Summer turned one skier into a human torch, triggering a fire. The announcer then promoted next week's show, featuring the Forest Fire Fighting Competition  :)

Not as brilliant a sports parody as the legendary 43-Man Squamish, but a good one.

#7 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,472 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 17:26

The announcer then promoted next week's show, featuring the Forest Fire Fighting Competition  :)

Just lost a little coffee, but a worthy loss.

(Hilarious!)

#8 70JesperOH

70JesperOH

• 129 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 19:11

As luck would have it, we bought a stack of discounted movies recently, and just saw “Smoky” last week for the first time in this Millennium.

The first Smokey and the Bandit had footage of trucks, or big-rigs, doing drag race at the defunct Lakewood Speedway in Atlanta, GA.

From an 1980s article in a Danish motor magazine, I remember a presentation of the 24 hour Le Mans race! This was at the Bugatti circuit and held as the modern day Le Mans Classic - a selection of races spread over a 24 hour window, with results being decided on aggregate.

Jesper

#9 dbltop

dbltop

• 1,664 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 19:41

I believe the big rig series was stopped because of the damage being done to speedway walls was getting very expensive.

#10 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 03:20

I hve seen some You Tube clips recently on this subject and I feel it just faded away, less competitors and less spectators.

Still big on roadcircuits in the UK and Europe.

#11 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,026 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 05:23

Bob, were you per chance at the first SCCA National at the newly-renamed Brainerd International Raceway? It was in 1974, and called the “Uncola Nationals.”

There was indeed a semi-struck race, between Paul Newman and Bob Tullius, and two others I’ve forgotten. It was so utterly ridiculous as to be really fun to watch.

I was there. I loved it.

They actually showed some of the Semi-Cab races on one of the TV sports shows.

If I  remember correctly, they series ran for 12 years.

It was  better than the NASCAR farce they show now. :cool: