Photo

Anthony Gobert has died

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 brands77

brands77

• 136 posts

Posted 15 January 2024 - 19:01

There has been quite a bit about Anthony Gobert in the press over recent days. First there was a video on Youtube where he talks about his addiction struggles with drugs and alcohol and then there have been numerous reports that he is in palliative care in Oz suffering from multiple organ failure. Sadly, it seems that he is very seriously ill, with probably not long left.

I remember him in the World Superbikes as a phenomenal rider. Watching on TV the Donington 1995 or 96 round, I recall him on the Kawasaki approaching the Melbourne hairpin, the rear was in the air and appeared to be still there when he was turning it in. No-one could touch him and none of the other riders seemed to have the same level of control and mastery of his machine as he had then - and that was a field with Foggy, Kocinski, Edwards, Corser, Slight and Frankie Chili in it, they were all pretty special.  I know it went off the rails for him at the end, but he was a real natural talent at his best.

I can't think of any rider who has had the same level of problems he had. I know Lucchinelli and Gary Lingham were done for drug smuggling, Danny Kent did time for carrying a knife and Ant West and Iannone were banned for drugs, in their cases I think they were performance enhancing drugs, whilst I think Anthony Gobert's sacking by Suzuki was for "recreational" drug use. Am I right in saying his was the most troubled career?

I hope Anthony pulls through, although it doesn't look good for him and I feel for this family and wish them all the best. His brothers Aaron and Alex were pretty good riders too and Aaron was himself an AMA Supersport champion.

Advertisement

#2 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 15 January 2024 - 21:09

I recall Stu Avant saying somewhere (possibly here) that Suzuki employed him to travel with Gobert and to try to ensure he kept away from the 'bad stuff' although I have no idea if he was successful in this, I don't know if Stu still looks in here, if so perhaps he would like to comment, or possibly not, under the present sad circumstances.

Another GP rider of note who was captured in possession of illegal substances was Italian Walter Migliorati who, if I recall correctly, received a substantial prison sentence.

It seems that some riders (and team managers) thought that transporting drugs was a good way to finance their racing, apparently not if you were caught.

(Edited for carp speeling)

Edited by exclubracer, 15 January 2024 - 21:48.

#3 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,009 posts

Posted 15 January 2024 - 22:08

I can't think of any rider who has had the same level of problems he had.

George O'Dell?

#4 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 09:23

Sad to hear. :( 

Although I was never that much into Superbikes, I recall that Gobert was pretty special on the bike and highly regarded, but also an enfant terrible right from the start. He never struck me as somebody with a clear idea about life and what to expect of it. Faded pretty soon, too, as I recall, but I lost interest in the sport about the same time so I don't really know what became of him.

Another rider with a big drug problem was Achille Varzi, of course.

As an aside, "drugs and alcohol"? Food and bread? Animals and zebras?  :D 

#5 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,812 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 17:55

Sad news

#6 Alan Lewis

Alan Lewis

• 1,038 posts

Posted 17 January 2024 - 13:04

Sadly, Anthony Gobert died today, aged 48:

https://en.wikipedia.../Anthony_Gobert

(At the time of posting, Wikipedia hasn't referenced a source for the news, but several outlets are reporting it, sourcing a Facebook announcement by his mother).

Edited by Alan Lewis, 17 January 2024 - 13:07.

#7 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 17 January 2024 - 13:14

Blossomed (perhaps) too early, died too young.

RIP, racer.  :cry:

#8 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,279 posts

Posted 17 January 2024 - 16:05

The epitome of a wasted talent and a wasted life

RIP

#9 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 17 January 2024 - 19:05

Very sad news, gone far too young.

Like so many others who achieved fame and fortune in many walks of life perhaps he didn't have the guidance needed to cope with his achievements.

A great rider who could have achieved so much more if only......

R.I.P.

#10 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,729 posts

Posted 17 January 2024 - 21:57

Very sad  :(

#11 brands77

brands77

• 136 posts

Posted 18 January 2024 - 09:21

Very sad news.

There have been many memories of Anthony in the press, all I have seen have been very positive. It seems he was genuinely liked by colleagues, fans and competitors.

Here is a very good comprehensive review of his career https://www.mcnews.c...s-half-as-long/

#12 brands77

brands77

• 136 posts

Posted 31 January 2024 - 10:37

I seem to be posting a lot of obituaries and reminiscences of people's lives recently, which is sad. Please forgive me for posting another, however, this is a really nice one of Anthony and I think (as I never met him) some nice detail of how he was https://www.motorspo...bert-1975-2024/ Gary Taylor is also mentioned here too.