- - - - -

Dyno’s Duo: Don Nicholson's Pair of Pro Stock Ford Race Cars

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,026 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 02:42

This article from 1978 Hot Rod Magazine shows what the heart of auto racing once was; gents with innate automotive talent would take what they had to new levels not with millions of dollars factory support and computers, but what left overs factory racing had and the will to make it work.

https://www.motortre...-982-1374-36-1/

001-dyno-don-nicholson-pro-stock-1979-fo

image2.jpg?fit=around%7C875:492

The foundation of this engine is one of the rare Can Am 494 Ford aluminium blocks, which features steel liners for the 4.530-inch cylinder bores. Relatively little has been done to the basic block, although Dyno has sleeved the lifter bores and drilled special oil passages to provide lifter oiling, which the Can Am block did not have originally. The lifter sleeves extend downward in close proximity to the camshaft lobes to provide additional lateral support for the roller tappets. A modified Lincoln 460 crankshaft, aluminium rods, special pistons and hand-fabricated oil pan, windage screen, scrapers and trays make up the rest of the lower end.

Although a lot of hand fabrication was required, one of the most interesting aspects of this engine is the adaptation of a pair of rare aluminium 429SCJ heads to the Can Am block. This block was originally intended for use with Boss 429 Shotgun hemi heads, which used Cooper sealing rings and silastic instead of conventional head gaskets. Dyno had to reroute oil supply and drainback passages to use the 429SCJ heads, and Fel-Pro Perma-Torque head gaskets are now used too. Head sealing hasn't been a problem, partly because the Can Am block uses massive 9/16-inch head bolts torqued to 150 Ib.-ft.

Edited by Bob Riebe, 16 February 2024 - 02:43.

Advertisement

#2 10kDA

10kDA

• 1,002 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 12:51

Maybe the only time the Fairmont Futura looked good.

#3 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,736 posts

Posted 17 February 2024 - 11:09

When I was a tot, Dyno Don was one of my heroes. He started on the dry lakes back in the '40s and was essentially a generation older than many of his competitors. He had a wealth of experience and just knew how to race. It was said he could go rounds with the ramp truck. 

One day (Detroit I think) I was watching him in the staging lanes as every few minutes he checked the air pressure in his rear tires. Each time he checked, he carefully reinstalled the valve cap, which was unusual. Most guys threw them away. I, the nosy little kid, must have had a quizzical look on my face because he turned to me,and said, "If the valve sticks or leaks, your tire goes flat before you ever get to the starting line, and then you lose. Don't beat yourself. Make the other guy beat you."