Photo

Preserving Racing Memories

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 tonypbeck

tonypbeck

• 14 posts

Posted 01 March 2024 - 17:30

1970s World Championship, British Championship, Major International Races, UK National Races, Road Races. Rider Entries, Race Results, Race Reports, Championship Points by Round, Championship Standings, Champions, Lap Records, In Memoriam.

It has taken 2 years of hard work to progress from the initial idea to get to this point, but at least I feel there is enough content now to make the website live.

There is still a long way to go and the site will be continually evolving.

There have been a few people who have helped enormously, but I won't create embarrassment by mentioning names, but you know who you are, I wouldn't have been able to do this without your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

#2 10kDA

10kDA

• 1,000 posts

Posted 02 March 2024 - 13:20

Well done. Looking forward to following the site as it expands.

#3 tonyed

tonyed

• 982 posts

Posted 03 March 2024 - 05:09

Brilliant piece of work. Thanks :clap:

#4 brands77

brands77

• 136 posts

Posted 04 March 2024 - 16:47

Great site. I really liked the In Memoriam section, celebrating the lives of the early seventies riders. I look forward to seeing the site grow.

#5 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 07:59

Nice effort! :up:

You ask for error reporting, and I already (think I) found one :D you list the South African TT as a race at Kyalami, whereas I think the TT was always held at Roy Hesketh, with the Kyalami meeting (sometimes called the South African GP) six days later. This also shows in the somewhat confusing "race report" for the 1972 main event, where first Smart is mentioned finishing second (Kyalami?), and then later Sheene (Roy Hesketh?). I don't have much in the way of results for these races myself, that's why I checked them out in the first place, so no clear corrections, sorry. But maybe you can go back to your sources to try and clear the confusion?

#6 tonypbeck

tonypbeck

• 14 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 11:35

You ask for error reporting, and I already (think I) found one :D you list the South African TT as a race at Kyalami, whereas I think the TT was always held at Roy Hesketh, with the Kyalami meeting (sometimes called the South African GP) six days later. This also shows in the somewhat confusing "race report" for the 1972 main event, where first Smart is mentioned finishing second (Kyalami?), and then later Sheene (Roy Hesketh?). I don't have much in the way of results for these races myself, that's why I checked them out in the first place, so no clear corrections, sorry. But maybe you can go back to your sources to try and clear the confusion?

Hi Michael,

Really appreciate the information, I will have to look into that further. 

The information was from a Motor Cycle News, so will have another look and see what I have done and make the necessary corrections.

This is exactly what I was hoping for, reporting errors and getting them corrected so the information on the site is confirmed accurate. I am doing this on my own so it's easy for me to miss the obvious sometimes, although I am trying very hard to not make any mistakes and I am also relying on the information I find to be true and accurate as well.

Edited by tonypbeck, 05 March 2024 - 11:36.

#7 tonypbeck

tonypbeck

• 14 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 11:53

Hi Michael,

I can see what I have done, I got confused between the two and mixed the reports for some reason.

Anyway, the 72 TT has been corrected and I will add the International meeting information very soon.

Regards

Tony

#8 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 16:04

Great!  :up:

Make sure to check the other years, too!

#9 tonyed

tonyed

• 982 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 16:07

Big piece of work. Hopefully we can all work together. Reporting back when wasn't all it could have been.

#10 tonypbeck

tonypbeck

• 14 posts

Posted 06 March 2024 - 07:26

Great!  :up:

Make sure to check the other years, too!

Yep, will also check 71

#11 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,849 posts

Posted 06 March 2024 - 08:24

Excellent work, congratulations and thanks.

#12 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 06 March 2024 - 19:27

Okay, here's what little I have on South African races in the seventies: On Jan 25 (Sun) in 1970 there was the ZA TT at Roy Hesketh, with Phil Read (Yamaha) winning the 35-lap main event and the 18-lap 350cc and 250cc events, and Giacomo Agostini (MV) prevailing in the 18-lap 1000cc (or open?) class, where Alberto Pagani finished third on his Linto. I have no info on a Kyalami meeting that year, perhaps there was none. In 1971, the TT at Roy Hesketh was on Jan 24 (Sun), with Ago winning both the 35-lap main and the 18-lap 1000cc/open? class, Ophie Howard and Rod Gould (both on Yamahas) taking the 18-lap 350cc and 250cc races, respectively. The Kyalami meeting (called the South African GP) was apparently on the Saturday following (Jan 30), and Ago won a 12-lap (main?) event from Paul Smart and Ray Pickrell, no other results. In '72, the TT at Roy Hesketh was on Jan 23 (Sun), and the Kyalami meeting on Jan 29 (Sat), no results except that Ago likely won both main events. In '73, Roy Hesketh (TT) on Jan 21 (Sun), Kyalami likely on Jan 27 (Sat), no results except that Mick Grant (Yamaha) won the TT main event and the 350cc race at Kyalami. No more races in my data base until the Jody Scheckter 'Winter World Cup' at Kyalami, Oct 10 in 1981 which was, I think, cancelled!?

#13 tonypbeck

tonypbeck

• 14 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 09:42

Hi Michael,

That's great, thank you. I completed the changes for 71-73 yesterday and added the GP meetings, I will compare what you have given me and see if I need to make any more changes.

Many Thanks.

#14 tonypbeck

tonypbeck

• 14 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 09:43

Hi Michael,

I haven't done 1970 as yet, but that will be very helpful when I do.

#15 nexfast

nexfast

• 984 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 16:42

Excellent work, congratulations, lots of new information in a single site! A small, unimportant detail. Jon Ekerold appears sometimes as John Ekerold in the south-african races. I believe the former is the correct spelling.

#16 tonypbeck

tonypbeck

• 14 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 07:12

Excellent work, congratulations, lots of new information in a single site! A small, unimportant detail. Jon Ekerold appears sometimes as John Ekerold in the south-african races. I believe the former is the correct spelling.

Hi Nexfast,

That's right, slip of the fingers on my part, I will get that corrected.

Many Thanks.

#17 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 12:41

Ah yes, and while we're at it, the "Jon Egerod" you have finishing fourth in the 1971 250cc race is, most likely I would think, also our friend, the future 350cc World Champion. Also, you have Mick Grant winning the 250cc race in 1972 and finishing second in the 350cc race, which should read Mike Grant, a South African who also raced in the Isle of Man that year. Yorkshireman Mick Grant was reportedly racing in South Africa for the first time when he won races there the next year!

#18 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 15:45

A few more name corrections: "Richard Berraine" should read Richard Borain, I think; Keith Peterson is actually Keith Petersen, brother of Robbie and Dave; I. Scheckter is Ian, brother of Jody; and I'm not sure about "Robin Gray" who I have as Rod Gray - but they may be two different persons!?!

#19 tonypbeck

tonypbeck

• 14 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 08:04

Great info Michael, will get those changed, miss prints in reports most likely, I just went with it as I didn't know for sure otherwise.

Advertisement

#20 tonypbeck

tonypbeck

• 14 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 08:17

Any idea on these Michael?

J. Willem

S. Thompson

E. James

B. Shearer

L. With

R. Barnes

B. Simmons

B. Scott

D. Smith

R. Minster

#21 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 11:09

Errol James, from memory. Will check the others when I'm back home.

#22 tonyed

tonyed

• 982 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 18:00

Good to see this moving forward. Good work both

#23 Robin127

Robin127

• 508 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 14:49

...and I'm not sure about "Robin Gray" who I have as Rod Gray - but they may be two different persons!?!

There was a Robin Gray who club raced in the UK in the early 70's.  I once saw him pick up a burning tank from his crashed Yamaha and move it from the track and onto the grass and away from his bike on the exit of Druids at Brands.

#24 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 15:36

Well, that could be the source for confusion? I'm sure there's reason for you to remember that individual's first name correctly...   ;) On the other hand, the South African may have appeared only as "R. Gray" in the results, with someone (not necessarily you, Tony!) jumping to conclusions. The only thing I have to go on is the winner of a 1982 race at Kyalami being refered to as "Rod Gray" in my period source, but as mentioned, that may have been another person altogether.

As for the others on your list, Tony, I can only add Louis With, Ray Minster and Steve Thompson, with not a lot of confidence!

#25 tonypbeck

tonypbeck

• 14 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 10:10

That's a great help Michael, Thank you.

Any blank filled in gets it closed to being complete.

#26 GMiranda

GMiranda

• 1,179 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 22:40

This is great!! Congratulations!!

#27 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 17 March 2024 - 22:30

Something else I noticed: on the 1975 Shell Sport 500cc Championship page you list results for the Good Friday meet at Brands Hatch, which I'm fairly sure was cancelled because of a snow-covered track! Could it be the results shown were actually those for an earlier meet, perhaps Mallory Park March 2? I struggle to find confirmation for that.

#28 tonypbeck

tonypbeck

• 14 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 08:18

This is what I thought too Michael, but in the programme for Mallory Park on the 30th there is a table for the Shell Sport showing results from the 1st Round, so I thought they got that race in, but I have obviously wrongly assumed that, I couldn't see anywhere else where that race has occured, it's a result from somewhere, any ideas?

#29 tonypbeck

tonypbeck

• 14 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 10:00

I I have found it, 2nd March Mallory Park, I scoured everywhere trying to find it before and obviously couldn't see for looking, found it now in an hour.

Many thanks for pointing that out, glad it's now been corrected.