2024 Saudi GP: race thread

• Please log in to reply
1116 replies to this topic

#1 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,847 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 15:06

Hello, race fans! It's time for your weekly Saturday fix of accepting the inevitable and finding consolation wherever you can. The Saudi Grand Prix is almost upon us, and the important thing to know is that Max Verstappen and Charles Leclerc are starting on the front row. In that order, although on the evidence of last week, once the racing gets underway it might not matter too much.

Behind those two constants are the usual random gaggle of McLarens, Mercedes, Good Teammate Fernando Alonso and Bad Teammate Sergio Perez. Feel free to keep your eye on this lot as you adjust to finding the main interest in a Grand Prix weekend in which of the identical McLaren drivers happens to be on top by the end of the weekend. That's certainly what I intend to do.

Other things to watch out for? Best of all is Ferrari stand-in Oliver Bearman, who took over Sainz's seat at short notice in a preview of what will happen at the end of the year, when Carlos gets the heave-ho from Lewis. In this case the Spaniard was hospitalized with appendicitis, so best wishes to him. Bearman follows in the footsteps of Mika Salo and Luca Badoer in racing for the romantic and storied Italian marque essentially by mistake, but it's a fast car and he's a fast driver. 

Interloping(?) in the top 10 is Yuki Tsunoda (the Tsunado?) for Visa Cash App, well ahead of his teammate and even edging out Lance Stroll's Aston Martin. Is he where he belongs? Are any of us? We'll find out. The Alpines, excitingly, have blocked out the penultimate row of the grid, starting ahead of Zhou Guanyu who demolished his Sauber in practice, and Logan Sargeant who may have been held up on his quick lap, I can't remember. Perhaps quick would've been a relative term. Meow! Anyway, there'll probably some drama and hard racing from P9-15. Look, I'm modelling readjusted expectations.

Also, who knows, maybe there'll be a safety car that makes the pit strategies more interesting. Without one it looks like we'll be on for a one-stop race.

Race begins at 5pm UK time. If you can spare the time from your busy schedule reading tweets from Austrian broadcasters and trying to second-guess how Google Translate has mangled their vocabulary and syntax, I'll see you then.

Advertisement

#2 Deeq

Deeq

• 9,505 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 15:10

About 2H then?
Very good OP Risil.
I am hopping for a miracle.. Leclerc win.

#3 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,902 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 15:13

Sainz is in the circuit, he looks like a zombie. Stay in bed resting man.

#4 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,847 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 15:15

About 2H then?

You got it

#5 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,107 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 15:17

Why on earth would he come back to the circuit? Crazy.

#6 AncientLurker

AncientLurker

• 729 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 15:20

Is it over yet? Can you tell me if there is a hint of anything worth watching?

#7 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,847 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 15:21

It might be the only time you see Bearman in a Ferrari. Which wouldn't be as notable as a real bear in a Ferrari but it's still pretty unusual.

#8 NateF

NateF

• 4,060 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 15:21

After an appendectomy, sheesh I was milking the take it easy for all it was worth…happened in the middle of exams lol

#9 Deeq

Deeq

• 9,505 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 15:22

F1TV app, they messed (upp) with the schedule adopted a dropdown menu that is confusing the former was better.🙄

#10 ANF

ANF

• 29,573 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 15:28

Average pit stop time loss last year seemed to be 20 seconds. I think you need 21 seconds to be safe, and if you're lucky you can stay in front with a 19-second gap.

#11 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,107 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 15:30

I asked chatGPT and it was possibly an example of not fully trusting AI yet, not least because Sainz makes a miraculous comeback…maybe his appearance in the paddock is saying something!  :lol: 

Stick some money on Bottas lol! Also Hamilton now starts on pole.

---

**Saudi Arabia Grand Prix Race Report**

In what was an exhilarating display of speed and strategy, the Saudi Arabia Grand Prix unfolded with unexpected twists and turns, keeping fans on the edge of their seats until the very last lap.

From the outset, it was clear that this race would be fiercely contested, with top teams and drivers vying for supremacy on the challenging Jeddah Street Circuit. Lewis Hamilton, starting from pole position, faced fierce competition from the likes of Max Verstappen and Charles Leclerc, who were hot on his heels.

As the lights went out, Hamilton made a blistering start, maintaining his lead into the first corner. Verstappen, however, wasted no time in applying pressure, relentlessly pushing the Mercedes driver as they navigated the tight corners and long straights of the circuit.

Meanwhile, further down the grid, Sergio Perez and Valtteri Bottas engaged in a thrilling battle for position, swapping places multiple times in the opening laps. Behind them, Carlos Sainz and Lando Norris fought tooth and nail for every inch of track space, showcasing their skills amidst the chaos of the midfield.

As the race progressed, tire management emerged as a critical factor, with teams strategizing to find the optimal balance between speed and longevity. Hamilton, Verstappen, and Leclerc all opted for different pit strategies, setting the stage for a nail-biting finale.

In the closing stages of the race, drama ensued as Verstappen suffered a puncture, forcing an unscheduled pit stop and dashing his hopes of victory. With the Red Bull driver out of contention, Hamilton seized the opportunity to extend his lead, while Leclerc mounted a late charge in a bid to snatch victory from the reigning champion.

In the end, it was Hamilton who crossed the finish line first, claiming a hard-fought victory and solidifying his position at the top of the championship standings. Leclerc secured an impressive second place, narrowly edging out Bottas in the final laps.

As the sun set over the Jeddah skyline, the Saudi Arabia Grand Prix delivered yet another unforgettable spectacle, leaving fans eagerly anticipating the next chapter in this thrilling season of Formula 1 racing.

Edited by IrvTheSwerve, 09 March 2024 - 15:31.

#12 ANF

ANF

• 29,573 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 15:33

The grid:

 1 Verstappen
 2 Leclerc
 3 Pérez
 4 Alonso
 5 Piastri
 6 Norris
 7 Russell
 8 Hamilton
 9 Tsunoda
10 Stroll
11 Bearman
12 Albon
13 Magnussen
14 Ricciardo
15 Hülkenberg
16 Bottas
17 Ocon
18 Gasly
19 Sargeant
20 Zhou

#13 DW46

DW46

• 1,862 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 15:34

I asked chatGPT and it was possibly an example of not fully trusting AI yet, not least because Sainz makes a miraculous comeback…maybe his appearance in the paddock is saying something! :lol:

Stick some money on Bottas lol! Also Hamilton now starts on pole.

---

**Saudi Arabia Grand Prix Race Report**

In what was an exhilarating display of speed and strategy, the Saudi Arabia Grand Prix unfolded with unexpected twists and turns, keeping fans on the edge of their seats until the very last lap.

From the outset, it was clear that this race would be fiercely contested, with top teams and drivers vying for supremacy on the challenging Jeddah Street Circuit. Lewis Hamilton, starting from pole position, faced fierce competition from the likes of Max Verstappen and Charles Leclerc, who were hot on his heels.

As the lights went out, Hamilton made a blistering start, maintaining his lead into the first corner. Verstappen, however, wasted no time in applying pressure, relentlessly pushing the Mercedes driver as they navigated the tight corners and long straights of the circuit.

Meanwhile, further down the grid, Sergio Perez and Valtteri Bottas engaged in a thrilling battle for position, swapping places multiple times in the opening laps. Behind them, Carlos Sainz and Lando Norris fought tooth and nail for every inch of track space, showcasing their skills amidst the chaos of the midfield.

As the race progressed, tire management emerged as a critical factor, with teams strategizing to find the optimal balance between speed and longevity. Hamilton, Verstappen, and Leclerc all opted for different pit strategies, setting the stage for a nail-biting finale.

In the closing stages of the race, drama ensued as Verstappen suffered a puncture, forcing an unscheduled pit stop and dashing his hopes of victory. With the Red Bull driver out of contention, Hamilton seized the opportunity to extend his lead, while Leclerc mounted a late charge in a bid to snatch victory from the reigning champion.

In the end, it was Hamilton who crossed the finish line first, claiming a hard-fought victory and solidifying his position at the top of the championship standings. Leclerc secured an impressive second place, narrowly edging out Bottas in the final laps.

As the sun set over the Jeddah skyline, the Saudi Arabia Grand Prix delivered yet another unforgettable spectacle, leaving fans eagerly anticipating the next chapter in this thrilling season of Formula 1 racing.

Did you ask ChatGPT to imagine it’s 2021 😂

#14 vlado

vlado

• 4,065 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 15:35

IMG-1504.jpg

#15 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,981 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 15:36

So a question about pronounciation. Is Olivers last name pronounced

hero3_1032346_final.jpg

or

93353895.jpg

#16 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,107 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 15:37

Did you ask ChatGPT to imagine it’s 2021

If that was anything like a previous race there it shows how much these races are forgetful these days! 

#17 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,847 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 15:38

hero3_1032346_final.jpg

or

93353895.jpg

Fat Bearman Week

#18 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,107 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 15:38

hero3_1032346_final.jpg

or

93353895.jpg

Bee-Armin.

#19 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,532 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 15:42

or

We should ask our resident linguist expert.

Advertisement

#20 ANF

ANF

• 29,573 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 15:45

Like the animal, according to himself: https://youtu.be/fVYkdhsJSYY?t=157

#21 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,107 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 15:49

Like the animal, according to himself: https://youtu.be/fVYkdhsJSYY?t=157

Yeah, that’s how I’ve always pronounced it and same as the comms…

#22 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,981 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 16:19

Thanks. I would be inclined to do so myself, but Danish commentators do it as beer, so I was wondering if they had heard him say it himself and are going with that. Seems they are just clueless.

#23 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 4,879 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 16:20

When was the last time we saw four British drivers on the grid?

#24 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,532 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 16:24

Albon is at least half a British Driver, albeit he race on a Thai license, which I guess is what we need to go by.

Does  2020 count when Aitken had a race when Hamilton were out?

2013?

Edited by KWSN - DSM, 09 March 2024 - 16:28.

#25 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,107 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 16:25

As a guess, I would say Hamilton, di Resta, Button and Davidson?

#26 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,684 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 16:26

Expecting Mercedes to be quicker in race trim.

Their lower DF will pay dividends under race conditions (no DRS), plus their relatively weak S1 will be neutralised by everyone else managing tyres in these corners.

#27 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,107 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 16:26

Albon is at least half a British Driver, albeit he race on a Thai license, which I guess is what we need to go by.

I’ve disowned Albon as a Brit driver. If you don’t want the Union flag on your overalls, bye bye.

#28 DW46

DW46

• 1,862 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 16:27

As a guess, I would say Hamilton, di Resta, Button and Davidson?

Coulthard, Button, McNish, Irvine - 2002?

#29 NateF

NateF

• 4,060 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 16:28

Did Davidson and DiResta drive at the same time?

#30 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,820 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 16:29

Expecting Mercedes to be quicker in race trim.

Their lower DF will pay dividends under race conditions (no DRS), plus their relatively weak S1 will be neutralised by everyone else managing tyres in these corners.

Also, I feel Russell's qualifying position is misleading so he (and Hamilton if he stays on task) can move up. Mclaren is very slow on the straights. 

Edited by ARTGP, 09 March 2024 - 16:29.

#31 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,847 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 16:29

I wish the BBC Sounds app could find a way of loading up the F1 commentary when its been bumped off both Radio 5 channels by more popular sports.

#32 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 9,338 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 16:30

Why can’t Lazenby just talk like a normal person when he’s next to Naomi and when she’s talking or he’s talking, look her in the eyes instead of shuffling his feet, looking at his feet, looking around everywhere else, and generally acting like a complete weirdo

#33 ANF

ANF

• 29,573 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 16:31

Norris almost crashed in the pit lane. Unsafe relase for Tsunoda.

#34 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,684 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 16:31

Coulthard, Button, McNish, Irvine - 2002?

Five if you include Davidson's Minardi debut.

#35 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,532 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 16:32

Norris almost crashed in the pit lane. Unsafe relase for Tsunoda.

In the McLaren thread they blame Tsunoda and not RB

#36 Tonybrise

Tonybrise

• 76 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 16:33

Lovely piece from Sky on Bernie Collins and how she is inspiring youngsters at her old school. Talented lady and a breath of fresh air.

#37 ANF

ANF

• 29,573 posts

In the McLaren thread they blame Tsunoda and not RB

I haven't seen the footage, only heard Norris' radio.

#38 DW46

DW46

• 1,862 posts

Five if you include Davidson's Minardi debut.

Then Irvine, McNish out Firman / Wilson in I think for 03 so bit later than my first guess.

#39 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,684 posts

Then Irvine, McNish out Firman / Wilson in I think for 03 so bit later than my first guess.

Firman raced under an Irish licence :p

Advertisement

#40 Thursday

Thursday

• 1,301 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 16:34

As there is no jeopardy for the win I will be watching this race in the hope of any of the following

• Points for Bearman 
  • Points for Williams 
  • Tsunoda to beat Ricciardo 

All possible but I have a horrible feeling that one of the drivers I am cheering for will end up in the wall 

#41 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 12,465 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 16:38

That was a good interaction between Lazenby and Anthony Joshua on the grid

#42 FLB

FLB

• 29,931 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 16:40

As there is no jeopardy for the win I will be watching this race in the hope of any of the following

• Points for Bearman 
  • Points for Williams 
  • Tsunoda to beat Ricciardo 

All possible but I have a horrible feeling that one of the drivers I am cheering for will end up in the wall 

An Alpine in the points for me. I don't want them to sink.

#43 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,684 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 16:41

Lots of work going on with Hamilton's car on the grid

#44 NateF

NateF

• 4,060 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 16:42

Lots of work going on with Hamilton's car on the grid

😒

#45 renzmann

renzmann

• 6,001 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 16:45

I don't really care about celebrities on the grid (except for forgotten 90s football legends), but Pharrell Williams (?) just walked past the Sky Germany cameras, refusing to open his mouth, not even blinking when asked harmless questions, thinking he looks hyper fashionable, but actually looking like a turd. What's wrong with people?

#46 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,981 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 16:47

Yeah, not my favorite anthem

(to get on the list, it need to be able to be belted out)

#47 renzmann

renzmann

• 6,001 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 16:48

That sounded like the intro of a todler's TV show.

#48 Thursday

Thursday

• 1,301 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 16:49

Many of these celebrities are used to being the most important person in the room. Then they come to F1 and don't understand why half the people don't recognize or care about them and a little old man in tartan trousers is revered.

#49 FLB

FLB

• 29,931 posts

I don't really care about celebrities on the grid (except for forgotten 90s football legends), but Pharrell Williams (?) just walked past the Sky Germany cameras, refusing to open his mouth, not even blinking when asked harmless questions, thinking he looks hyper fashionable, but actually looking like a turd. What's wrong with people?

It's a long read, but it's more than worth it: Behind F1's Velvet Curtain (archive.org)

(It's an article we've been discussing here in another thread, but it illustrates the current state of what an F1 paddock is like)

#50 Huffer

Huffer

• 3,581 posts

That sounded like the intro of a todler's TV show.

Oddly I was thinking along the same lines - the sort of thing you'd expect to hear on a pre-school kids show, where they make up a song about washing your hands.