Photo
- - - - -

Culling the herd

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

Poll: Culling the herd (217 member(s) have cast votes)

Out

1. Perez (39 votes [4.47%])

Percentage of vote: 4.47%

2. Magnussen (95 votes [10.88%])

Percentage of vote: 10.88%

3. Hulkenberg (43 votes [4.93%])

Percentage of vote: 4.93%

4. Ricciardo (128 votes [14.66%])

Percentage of vote: 14.66%

5. Tsunoda (48 votes [5.50%])

Percentage of vote: 5.50%

6. Bottas (107 votes [12.26%])

Percentage of vote: 12.26%

7. Zhou (82 votes [9.39%])

Percentage of vote: 9.39%

8. Stroll (154 votes [17.64%])

Percentage of vote: 17.64%

9. Sargeant (136 votes [15.58%])

Percentage of vote: 15.58%

10. Ocon (23 votes [2.63%])

Percentage of vote: 2.63%

11. Gasly (18 votes [2.06%])

Percentage of vote: 2.06%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Mat13

Mat13

• 4,102 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 18:44

After the obvious success of Ollie Bearman on his debut, and yet another poor performance by Stroll, who do you think should be in, and who needs cutting adrift? Bottas, Ricciardo, Stroll are all obvious candidates for me, while who should be in is trickier- Lawson absolutely, Bearman from today (but remember what happened to De Vries)-thoughts?

Edit: poll added

Edited by Mat13, 10 March 2024 - 06:27.

Advertisement

#2 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 5,630 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 18:49

Enjoyable when rookies start in a car that is one of the fastest on the grid. Would love to see more talent in f1, but not just to sit in Haas or Williams for 3 years.

#3 Red5ive

Red5ive

• 1,774 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 18:50

I agree about Bottas and Stroll - but daddy will never drop him. Ricciardo seems now to be showing the form he had at McLaren - time to pack it in.

would also add Sargeant to the list.

dont mind which young kids come in but F1 really should cut some of the old dead wood. Thing is though - Bearman ain’t getting a Ferrari seat anytime soon.

Edited by Red5ive, 09 March 2024 - 18:51.

#4 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,566 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 18:52

Sargeant, Ricciardo and Stroll out. Lawson, Bearman and I’m sure we can find another good prospect in.

#5 FLB

FLB

• 29,888 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 18:54

Come on guys, we're only at the second race of the effing season...

Edited by FLB, 09 March 2024 - 18:55.

#6 Mat13

Mat13

• 4,102 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 18:55

Come one guys, we're only at the second race of the effing season...

Yeah, but Stroll and Ricciardo have been awful for ages…

#7 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,509 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 18:56

After the obvious success of Ollie Bearman on his debut, and yet another poor performance by Stroll, who do you think should be in, and who needs cutting adrift? Bottas, Ricciardo, Stroll are all obvious candidates for me, while who should be in is trickier- Lawson absolutely, Bearman from today (but remember what happened to De Vries)-thoughts?

I wouldn't be surprised if Ricciardo doesn't get to the end of the season. Stroll is a different case but you would imagine he isn't getting much out of this and doesn't need to do it forever. He could stand aside and move to sports cars, team management or general business. On who comes in, I would base it on more than an accomplished debut - but give whoever gets in a reasonable run of races (ideally two seasons) to arrive at a fair appraisal.

#8 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,836 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 18:58

Culling doesn't sound quite right but there's half a dozen drivers minimum who have achieved all they're likely to in F1.

#9 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,754 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 19:00

Stroll, Sargeant and maybe Ricciardo.

#10 southernstars

southernstars

• 2,207 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 19:02

It's been another race where the finishing positions don't tell the whole story.

Ricciardo's pit stop under the safety car was so bad that not only did he lose time, he came out over 11 seconds behind Sargeant, who had been stacked behind Albon. The RB didn't have the pace to close that gap rapidly. Tsunoda wasn't exactly rapid today either. 

Sargeant had comparable pace to Albon today and indeed spent a significant number of laps tucked up behind him in that battle pack. His first flying lap in Q1 was also only a tenth slower than Albon's, just like in Bahrain.

Zhou was the sufferer of Sauber disaster stops today.

Magnussen isn't on your list, but he drove like ass today.

#11 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 10,996 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 19:02

Sargeant, Ricciardo and Stroll out. Lawson, Bearman and I’m sure we can find another good prospect in.

Think Drugovic deserves a shot in the AM, Lawson in the RB, Bearman in the Haas, and I’m sure it wouldn’t be especially hard for Sauber and Williams to find upgrades on Bottas resp. Sargeant either.

#12 Thursday

Thursday

• 1,301 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 19:03

Has Bottas done anything worthwhile recently. Apart from making a 'funny' calendar?

#13 Coral

Coral

• 6,788 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 19:04

Sergeant should go, Stroll too but he won't of course. Bottas is past his sell-by date and Ricciardo is an embarrassment nowadays.

#14 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,651 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 19:05

Magnussen drove like an ass, but made the gap for Hulkenberg to fit in and earn a point.

#15 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 10,996 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 19:05

It's been another race where the finishing positions don't tell the whole story.

Ricciardo's pit stop under the safety car was so bad that not only did he lose time, he came out over 11 seconds behind Sargeant, who had been stacked behind Albon. The RB didn't have the pace to close that gap rapidly. Tsunoda wasn't exactly rapid today either.

Sargeant had comparable pace to Albon today and indeed spent a significant number of laps tucked up behind him in that battle pack. His first flying lap in Q1 was also only a tenth slower than Albon's, just like in Bahrain.

Yeah well, Tsunoda and Albon spent almost their entire race looking at the gear box of other cars, so I don’t think that defense of Ricciardo and Sargeant’s performance stands up to scrutiny.

#16 Garagista

Garagista

• 1,219 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 19:06

I think Magnussen, Ricciardo and Sargeant are in their last year. Those have to end of the year if even.

One name that I am starting to think he is really closer to leave F1 than staying and move forward, is Pierre Gasly. No Red Bull anymore, Renault in a hole and as shown today Ocon is a difficult partner to have, because he can deliver in the race.

#17 Jops14

Jops14

• 520 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 19:06

Bottas, Stroll, Sargeant, Zhou, Hulkenburg, Magnussen & Ricciardo

Hulkenburg, Magnussen pace wise are ok (maybe Zhou/Bottas too).

But they are all either on the decline, or shown what they have to offer. Coukd replace them with younger drivers and get same performance or better

#18 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 10,996 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 19:08

I think Magnussen, Ricciardo and Sargeant are in their last year. Those have to end of the year if even.

One name that I am starting to think he is really closer to leave F1 than staying and move forward, is Pierre Gasly. No Red Bull anymore, Renault in a hole and as shown today Ocon is a difficult partner to have, because he can deliver in the race.

Ocon delivered today did he? Gasly hardly made the start, so not sure what he should have done today.

#19 southernstars

southernstars

• 2,207 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 19:08

Think Drugovic deserves a shot in the AM

Drugovich was so unconvincing that he had to pay Aston Martin to become a reserve driver. How bad do you have to be to be a pay reserve driver?

Advertisement

#20 ANF

ANF

• 29,547 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 19:09

I really wouldn't miss either of Stroll, Magnussen, Ricciardo, Tsunoda, Pérez, Zhou, Bottas or Sargeant on the grid.

Who should be in? Lawson, definitely. Bearman seems ready for the challenge. Drugovich may have a lot of potential. And then there's a small group of maybes and not yets.

#21 FNG

FNG

• 5,776 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 19:10

Bottas, Stroll, Sargeant, Zhou, Hulkenburg, Magnussen & Ricciardo

Hulkenburg, Magnussen pace wise are ok (maybe Zhou/Bottas too).

But they are all either on the decline, or shown what they have to offer. Coukd replace them with younger drivers and get same performance or better

Would pretty much agree with all but would keep Hulk for another year to pair with a new driver like Bearman. But ya, all those can go

#22 Mat13

Mat13

• 4,102 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 19:11

Ricciardo's pit stop under the safety car was so bad that not only did he lose time, he came out over 11 seconds behind Sargeant, who had been stacked behind Albon. The RB didn't have the pace to close that gap rapidly. Tsunoda wasn't exactly rapid today either.

I’m looking at more than just today- and Ricciardo has been woeful since McLaren. I agree on Magnussen, he needs to go as well- his wonderful teamwork wouldn’t have been needed if he didn’t insist on driving like a knobhead.

#23 southernstars

southernstars

• 2,207 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 19:13

I’m looking at more than just today- and Ricciardo has been woeful since McLaren

You know that's like...nine races, right? And Hungary, Mexico and Brazil were all very good, very fast ones (albeit with the caveat that he got wrecked in Brazil by something not his fault). So what...six races?

#24 Nova

Nova

• 18,279 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 19:13

Stroll can not go, but neither can he stay really. A top team, a top factory team (26), can not have a mediocre paid for driver. Curious about how daddy Stroll is going to solve that puzzle. 

#25 crooky369

crooky369

• 635 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 19:14

Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing the following go:

Hulkenburg
Magnussen
Riccardo
Stroll
Tsnoda
Bottas
Zhou

Sargent is on thin ice but doesn't have the seat time that the others have enjoyed.

#26 Ruudbackus

Ruudbackus

• 2,145 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 19:15

For me quite a few can go:

Sargeant; hasn't proven anything since he entered f1.

Bottas: Feels like he is just driving his races, even his saturdays are pretty blend nowadays

Ricciardo: Just doesn't have it anymore

Magnussen: Is a danger on track

Zhou: Nothing special

Tsunoda: He will explode one of these days

Hulkenberg: He is likeable but I believe there is better talent out there

Stroll: No words needed

#27 Garagista

Garagista

• 1,219 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 19:15

Ocon delivered today did he? Gasly hardly made the start, so not sure what he should have done today.

Sure. Not saying Ocon is better, said he can deliver. And with the slowest car finishing 13th with only 2 DNfs I would call deliver. Plus Ocon has his connections with Toto.

My thoughts are more in line with their futures now that Alpine future look bleak.

#28 andysaint

andysaint

• 538 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 19:18

Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing the following go:

Hulkenburg
Magnussen
Riccardo
Stroll
Tsnoda
Bottas
Zhou

Sargent is on thin ice but doesn't have the seat time that the others have enjoyed.

Agree with the list.

Younger drivers will be able to do at least a nearly equal job. The drivers on the list are incredibly dull, are clearly not doing anything super and not worthy a place in the elite motorsport category

#29 Mat13

Mat13

• 4,102 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 19:25

You know that's like...nine races, right? And Hungary, Mexico and Brazil were all very good, very fast ones (albeit with the caveat that he got wrecked in Brazil by something not his fault). So what...six races?

I thought it would be obvious that we would include the stint at McLaren, as they ditched him and paid him to leave…

#30 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,714 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 19:25

Change it to "from McLaren onwards" rather than "since McLaren".

Edit - beaten.

Edited by PlatenGlass, 09 March 2024 - 19:26.

#31 southernstars

southernstars

• 2,207 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 19:31

Ricciardo's stop from today: https://imgur.com/a/LqYXwJF

#32 Beri

Beri

• 11,668 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 19:37

Ricciardo can't keep this form up. Lawson is too good for this to continue.

#33 NateF

NateF

• 4,060 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 19:38

Tsunoda is incredibly harsh to be listed

#34 BoDarvelle

BoDarvelle

• 1,392 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 19:40

Wouldn't mind Bearman teamed with Hulk next year. While KMag did a great job opening the gap for Hulk, he's been relatively mediocre for a while. Especially his qualifying. Komatsu called him out on it last week.

#35 ivanalesi

ivanalesi

• 1,795 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 19:43

1. Stroll - We all know why. 

2. Sargeant - For making Albon look like a champion

3. Zhou - I've never seen any spark of qualy pace, in the races he's been OK

4. K-Mag - Being outclassed by the Hulk as much he did the same with Mick

5. Bottas - He doesn't seem motivated as before

6. Perez - He will benefit from a year out, I would pet Dany Ric in his place as he'll be able to handle the pressure of being next to Max

The top 2 totally don't deserve to be in F1. They also lack character. I would put Drugovich & Pourchaire in their places. I'm sure Audi will kick out Zhou & test youngsters against Bottas - Just make a shoot out with old cars & on the sim :) Lawson is another one who's good, but there are others like Jack Doohan who IMHO was the best driver in F2 last season, from P15 to P1 in form...

Edited by ivanalesi, 09 March 2024 - 19:46.

#36 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 20:33

Stroll is in his what...seventh season now, and he's still making errors like today - and being the only one to do so. At least this year's Aston isn't as good as last's, I suppose, so it isn't quite such a waste. 

Bottas too, I'd be happy to see go. He had frustratingly woeful race craft even in his Mercedes days, and has generally been pretty anonymous ever since going to Sauber. 

#37 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,186 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 20:42

Stroll can not go, but neither can he stay really. A top team, a top factory team (26), can not have a mediocre paid for driver. Curious about how daddy Stroll is going to solve that puzzle. 

https://www.fiawec.c...e-hypercar/7798 

*Valkyrie enters the chat*

#38 Mat13

Mat13

• 4,102 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 20:50

https://www.fiawec.c...e-hypercar/7798

*Valkyrie enters the chat*

He would be a menace in a series as competitive as the WEC, especially as his incompetence will directly affect two other drivers- who’d drive next to him?!

#39 Ben24

Ben24

• 603 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 21:11

I've explained elsewhere why I didn't find Bearman's effort today all that amazing. Also think there are other F2 drivers from recent seasons who would deserve a shot in F1 before him. Still, I think that Bearman would undoubtedly be an upgrade over several drivers currently on the grid today. I'm always one of the people who is least in favour of pushing youth through over experience, but the lack of young talent making its way into F1 in recent years has become totally ridiculous over recent years. I don't think we've missed out on any Verstappen level talents but there are a bunch of drivers who have come through F2 in the past few years who would undoubtedly be better than at least a quarter of the current grid.

Advertisement

#40 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,836 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 21:12

This poll would probably (regrettably?) be better if you could pick more than one option!

#41 Jops14

Jops14

• 520 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 21:25

What would be interesting is who comes in

Magnussen out for Bearman
Ricciardo out for Lawson
Zhou out for Pourchaire
Bottas out for… ???
Stroll for Sainz (Drugovich can then go to Haas for Hulk)

Personally id have liked to have seen Schumacher spend some time in a competent team, if he had another year of getting whipped, then done, but i dont feel like he had time or environment

#42 Mat13

Mat13

• 4,102 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 21:26

This poll would probably (regrettably?) be better if you could pick more than one option!

I’d do that if I could work out how!

#43 F1Frog

F1Frog

• 654 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 21:57

My takeaway from the Ollie Bearman debut is that Formula 1 drivers are simply too close to the limit now. It has become too easy. On Bearman’s Formula 1 debut, he finished just 24 seconds behind Charles Leclerc, who is widely considered to be one of the best in the business. So if peak Bearman is as good as peak Leclerc, then there is only 24 seconds to be gained from your first ever race in a Formula 1 car, on one of the most difficult tracks on the calendar, with just one hour of preparation before the race. And that is assuming Bearman will be as good as Leclerc, which is doubtful as his junior record is good but not on Leclerc’s level, and I would suggest that it could be more like 12-15 seconds. It seems to me like there should be more room for improvement than that. You might suggest that Bearman is just an incredibly fast learner, but we have seen it a few times in recent years. Liam Lawson was almost on Tsunoda’s pace immediately and was highly praised, yet he wasn’t considered worth a full season in the Toro Rosso for 2024. Nyck de Vries destroyed Nicholas Latifi on his debut and then was well-beaten by Tsunoda the next year. Logan Sargeant’s first race in Bahrain was the closest he has ever got to Alex Albon. Those were all on easier tracks than Jeddah, admittedly.

I do think Oliver Bearman was very impressive today considering it is such a difficult track, and he is definitely worthy of a Haas seat in 2025, or even later this year as Kevin Magnussen, brilliant as he was today at being a team player, just doesn’t seem good enough anymore (and he is another one who peaked on his debut). But unless Bearman turns out to be another Verstappen-level talent, he should not be getting that close to Leclerc on his debut with that level of preparation. I think the cars need to be made far more difficult to drive, and it should be an achievement to get to the end without a spin, while the gaps between a perfect lap and an average one need to be much greater. Maybe telemetry and simulators could be banned as well to further this. And mistakes on track need to be punished more like they were in Jeddah with Stroll’s crash. In Bahrain, the most costly mistake anyone made was to lock up and lose a couple of tenths on the runoff, and they almost perfectly sorted themselves out into the order of the car speeds, bar those who had something happen in the race, despite the current cars being closer to each other on performance than ever before.

Edited by F1Frog, 09 March 2024 - 21:57.

#44 ANF

ANF

• 29,547 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 22:12

And how come Verstappen is not an option? :mad:

/Chalerm

#45 ANF

ANF

• 29,547 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 22:15

Stroll is in his what...seventh season now, and he's still making errors like today - and being the only one to do so. At least this year's Aston isn't as good as last's, I suppose, so it isn't quite such a waste. 

Bottas too, I'd be happy to see go. He had frustratingly woeful race craft even in his Mercedes days, and has generally been pretty anonymous ever since going to Sauber.

Eighth.

#46 Primo

Primo

• 2,678 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 22:15

Poll need to be multiple choice

#47 chdphd

chdphd

• 2,810 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 22:40

I’d do that if I could work out how!

Edit the poll. There's a checkbox beside the first question labelled "Allow multiple choice".

I see that if I start a new thread with a poll. Dunno if it works editing an existing one.

Edit: You need to use edit the first post using the "Full Editor".

Edited by chdphd, 09 March 2024 - 22:44.

#48 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 3,635 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 22:47

Poll need to be multiple choice

This. Read chdphd @Mat13.

Edited by Boxerevo, 09 March 2024 - 22:48.

#49 mdaclarke

mdaclarke

• 281 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 23:54

Bottas, Hulkenburg, Magnussen & Ricciardo for me

#50 balmybaldwin

balmybaldwin

• 2,086 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 00:25

Pay for a seat at another team perhaps?