Jody Scheckter collection

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Macca

Macca

• 3,728 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 20:05

https://rmsothebys.c.../home/lots/mc24

Jody Scheckter is selling his collection of racing cars this year.

I have also read that his famous buffalo herd at Laverstoke is being sold off, with the meat and dairy products no longer available
https://www.laverstokepark.co.uk/

Paul M

Advertisement

#2 amerikalei

amerikalei

• 274 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 20:39

I saw that yesterday.  Quite a nice group of cars he collected (and raced; or vice versa).  Seems like he must be tidying things up for his family, although I'm surprised Thomas would not have wanted to keep some of his dad's legacy.

#3 messy

messy

• 7,501 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 21:05

He’s had some family tragedy lately hasn’t he, hopefully this is being done willing rather than out of necessity.

#4 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,109 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 01:47

I hope all is well in Jody's life.

#5 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,729 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 10:20

I wonder whether he's thinking of emigrating given these all seem to be UK based assets

#6 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 13:00

I read that the P34 is a replica, is that right?

#7 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 13:24

Terrific collection.  I wonder why there is no Formula 5000 Lola T330 - the car he bought himself with his race winnings to replace the Trojan T101 in 1973?

Perhaps having paid once . . .

#8 bsc

bsc

• 127 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 13:51

I read that the P34 is a replica, is that right?

It's a bit difficult to define - it was built in the 1990s around a genuine, but unfinished, monocoque from the 1970s.

#9 Emery0323

Emery0323

• 456 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 13:56

I saw that yesterday.  Quite a nice group of cars he collected (and raced; or vice versa).  Seems like he must be tidying things up for his family, although I'm surprised Thomas would not have wanted to keep some of his dad's legacy.

Jody's asset sale reminds me of the recent Nigel Mansell auctions of cars, trophies, and memorabilia.  I was surprised at how Mansell sold off virtually all of his F1 winner trophies, as well as many of the cars in his Isle of Man museum.

Apparently Jody is now making a similar move.  This could be a large-scale "decluttering", or perhaps an estate-planning move.

#10 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,729 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 14:37

Jody's asset sale reminds me of the recent Nigel Mansell auctions of cars, trophies, and memorabilia.  I was surprised at how Mansell sold off virtually all of his F1 winner trophies, as well as many of the cars in his Isle of Man museum.

Apparently Jody is now making a similar move.  This could be a large-scale "decluttering", or perhaps an estate-planning move.

Perhaps part of an inheritance tax avoidance plan ? :)

#11 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,472 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 14:51

Terrific collection. I wonder why there is no Formula 5000 Lola T330 - the car he bought himself with his race winnings to replace the Trojan T101 in 1973?

Perhaps having paid once . . .

If you mean the yellow car he used to win at Watkins Glen, that was rented from Bob Lazier at a fee Bob couldn’t turn down, then sold on to AJ “Arlen” Koops, also from Colorado. I think Jody had a bad crash in the Trojan, and of course the championship relied on running.

I know of no other T330 but could be missing a boat, and thus am not eager for that swim. ;-)

EDIT: I am indeed swimming now, but can’t carry on much further. Quarter-inch seas and all…

My Wrongness Mark, you’re speaking of HU24, Thanks as always OldRacingCars.com. Before the swim, and any coffee which is my excuse, a faint memory of a white T330 in Delta “colors” surfaced. Sorry for the misquote.

Speaking of surfacing, I hope to — and am ultra-impressed my phone works so well under water.

Edited by E1pix, 13 March 2024 - 15:15.

#12 barrykm

barrykm

• 808 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 19:10

What a beautiful collection Jody has.... :love: 

I hope all is well?!

#13 blackmme

blackmme

• 1,006 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 21:50

What a beautiful collection Jody has.... :love: 

I hope all is well?!

The Wolf WR1 is the absolute star of the show there for me.

Unique from so many perspectives and a beautiful little car as well.

I’m just temporarily about £700,000 short of the asking price so if anyone could help tide me over I’d be extremely grateful…..

Regards Mike

#14 barrykm

barrykm

• 808 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 09:05

I’m just temporarily about £700,000 short of the asking price so if anyone could help tide me over I’d be extremely grateful…..

Regards Mike

Yes Mike, it is such a neat car  :up:

#15 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 12:48

The Wolf is lovely, isn’t it. And designed by a cousin on my Mother’s side of the family. A bit too pricey for me though, I think. .. I could imagine it going well in historic racing, being a competitive car from a time just before the complexity of the machinery - and the prep skills and driving techniques need required of them - jumped up a level.
The F1 cars appear to be held on temporary import bonds which would have a impact on the cost if you are EU based and looking to indulge at this level.

Edited by 2F-001, 15 March 2024 - 12:55.

#16 FlyingSaucer

FlyingSaucer

• 77 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 14:02

Regards Mike

We need to start a crowdfunding campaign here on Nostalgia Forum. Everyone donates a little, we put it all together and buy a car!

If we buy a good and unique machine every year, within a few years we will have an excellent collection, cared for and curated by people who love motorsport. It would be "The Nostalgia Forum Collection". 

P.S. I think the Wolf is a decent car to start this colab project, isn´t?  :cool:

Edited by FlyingSaucer, 15 March 2024 - 14:03.

#17 paulsenna1

paulsenna1

• 265 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 20:05

Does anyone know if it is Wolf WR1, WR2, WR3 or WR4?

Edit: Looks like it is WR3, does Walter Wolf own WR1?

Edited by paulsenna1, 15 March 2024 - 20:11.

#18 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,472 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 00:09

We need to start a crowdfunding campaign here on Nostalgia Forum. Everyone donates a little, we put it all together and buy a car!

If we buy a good and unique machine every year, within a few years we will have an excellent collection, cared for and curated by people who love motorsport. It would be "The Nostalgia Forum Collection". 

P.S. I think the Wolf is a decent car to start this colab project, isn´t?  :cool:

A Formula Vee driven by E1pix would offer far better value. :-)

#19 D28

D28

• 2,028 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 01:14

A Formula Vee driven by E1pix would offer far better value. :-)

A lap record holding Opel vintage wagon would be even better.

Advertisement

#20 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,472 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 04:26

Haha, no record, just first to scuff apex curbing paint.

Got ahead of my steering (LOL).

#21 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 14:37

Does anyone know if it is Wolf WR1, WR2, WR3 or WR4?

Edit: Looks like it is WR3, does Walter Wolf own WR1?

According to oldracingcars.com, it is WR3.  WR1 is somewhere in the UK but the owner is unnamed.

#22 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 5,384 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 22:23

Nice collection. I'd take the McLaren M23, my favourite F1 car ever.

Not from Scheckter collection, but what surprises me the most is the huge price of the 1981 fake 917 of the Kremer Brothers. Neither it is a true 917, nor did it achieve any success in racing. Yet, it is the second most expensive car of the lot, on the same price bracket than the 1979 F1 World Champion Ferrari.

#23 Emery0323

Emery0323

• 456 posts

Posted 17 March 2024 - 17:51

Nice collection. I'd take the McLaren M23, my favourite F1 car ever.

Not from Scheckter collection, but what surprises me the most is the huge price of the 1981 fake 917 of the Kremer Brothers. Neither it is a true 917, nor did it achieve any success in racing. Yet, it is the second most expensive car of the lot, on the same price bracket than the 1979 F1 World Champion Ferrari.

I noticed that about the Kremer 917-K81 too.  The 917 has become magic, I think an authentic Gulf-team 917 with modest  competition history sold for >$10M in recent years.

If anybody wants to go vintage racing, Jody's Cosworth powered F1 cars offer far more value for money (at the catalog's price estimates), and are probably easier to support with their Cosworth / Hewland drivetrains.

#24 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 17 March 2024 - 20:41

... but what surprises me the most is the huge price of the 1981 fake 917 of the Kremer Brothers. Neither it is a true 917, nor did it achieve any success in racing. 

The 917 has attained a near-mythical status that far outstrips its 'worth' compared to many other cars.  I guess it depends what you want, and what you want from it. As Emery indicates, a genuine JW or Salzburg machine with impressive history will attract a ridiculous price - but the Kremer one is undoubtedly a much, much better car: a stronger chassis with a newer engine, better brakes, and from the brief look over it that I had at Brands, rather less crudely made, You would be paying rather less for its lesser history (obviously), but still a fair chunk on account of the 917 mythology.

But others may, of course, view this quite differently!

#25 mariner

mariner

• 2,334 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 10:55

I think selling of your classic/race car collection as you approach late 70's or over 80 is quite common.

I don't think its simply tax planning but there are two reasons I suspect.

Firstly it simplifies your estate probate and family discussions as some may want to sell, others to take  them over. Same as family home.

Secondly the value of a car not at auction for many years is very arguable. The Inland revenue, IRS etc can name some silly value for taxes and the  executors have to argue form a position of weakness. By selling now it, becomes  cash or bonds or shares or even house property which is much easier to find a market price for. 

For example Sotherbys have a £1 millon range on the sales price estimate for the Ferrari 312 . That is £400K of IHT and they are recognised experts on values.  until it goes under the hammer.

#26 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 12:02

The Inland revenue, IRS etc can name some silly value for taxes and the  executors have to argue form a position of weakness. 

True, but equally, the owners of such vehicles can claim silly values as well. ("Oh, its just an old Italian car, they're worth nothing these days")

An old friend of mine rose in the Inland Revenue to be an expert on valuation of such cars because he was a petrolhead.  He made his mark originally by getting the comedian Dick Emery to pay up his back taxes.  He managed this by rocking up at Emery's house on the exclusive St George's Hill estate near Weybridge with his long hair and jeans and driving his silver Lotus Elan.  Emery was so taken aback that a tax inspector could look like that, that he just wrote out a cheque on the spot.

Probably saying "Oooh, you are awful,.....but I like you""

Edited by BRG, 18 March 2024 - 13:17.

#27 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,590 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 13:02

Dick Emery was an interesting character, probably like most "entertainers" in real life very different from his screen persona. Dick likes driving Citroëns, and he bought several of them from a friend of mine who used to own the franchise in Christchurch Dorset. Dick took an SM on a test drive during a break from one of his Bournemouth panto seasons, and he didn't hold back. After he'd calmed down a little and got his breath back, my Dealer friend commented on the skill with which DE was driving the quite large car. Dick told him that before his TV career, his occupation for years had been as an IAM driving instructor.

#28 john aston

john aston

• 2,700 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 17:59

By far the funniest thing about Dick Emery was that anybody found him funny . Like so much TV of the era it was heroically bad then and even worse now . 

#29 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,082 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 23:30

Would have been ideal if we had all those cars in a Jody Scheckter themed museum. Hope they find a good owner and that all is well with Jody.