Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Who Wants To Be a Millionaire? NTT IndyCar $1 Million Challenge at Thermal Club

• Please log in to reply
502 replies to this topic

Poll: SURPRISE PRE-EVENT BILLIONAIRE CELEBRITY RACE (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Who's the winner?

1. Bernard Arnault (2 votes [6.06%])

Percentage of vote: 6.06%

2. Elon Musk (3 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

3. Jeff Bezos (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Larry Ellison (2 votes [6.06%])

Percentage of vote: 6.06%

5. Warren Buffett (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Bill Gates (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Michael Bloomberg (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Carlos Slim (3 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

9. Mukesh Ambani (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Steve Ballmer (0 votes [0.00%])

11. Takuma Sato (23 votes [69.70%])

Percentage of vote: 69.70%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,239 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 00:05

“It’s chaos anyway.” - Scott Dixon, Laguna Seca 2023

01-thermal.jpg2024 NTT IndyCar Series Round 2 of 18: Thermal Club $1 Million Challenge

02-onemilliondollars.gif
“That guy? What fresh hell is this?”

It’s IndyCar’s next race at The Thermal Club—it’s new, and it’s damn hot here, so fresh hell is about right. Did you really expect anything different from a place they named after heat energy? It’s the first IndyCar exhibition race in 16 years, which means for the first time since the 2008 race at Surfers’ Paradise, no points are on offer this weekend.

“WHAT!? No points! Well why in the name of Penske are we here?”

The Schedule

Friday, March 22
09:00-11:00 – Open Test Session 1
14:00-17:00 – Open Test Session 2

Saturday, March 23
09:00-11:00 – Open Test Session 3
13:00-15:00 – Open Test Session 4
17:00-17:12 – Qualifying Group 1
17:27-17:39 – Qualifying Group 2

Sunday, March 24
09:15-09:35 – Heat Race 1 (ha)
09:45-10:05 – Heat Race 2 (ha ha)
10:50-11:45 – Main Event

All times are Pacific Daylight. Convert the schedule to your time here.

The Spotter Guide

Come back when it’s available and you’ll find it here.

How to Watch

North American and United Kingdom Viewers

US IndyCar fans will catch the race on their local NBC affiliate or The Streaming Service with Oppenheimer™, Peacock. Denizens of the Great White North can follow on TSN or TSN+. UK viewers will find the race on Sky Sports F1.

International Viewers

Check this link to see how to find all that can’t-miss IndyCar action.

The “Track”

04-trackmap.jpgThis is literally the map they had.

The Thermal Club
First IndyCar Race: This one
Surface: Asphalt
Turns: 19
Track Length: 3.067 miles (31,856.58 Benjamins)
Number of Laps: 10 (heat races), 20 (main)
Ideal Pit Strategy: Don’t
X: @ThermalClub

Thermal is a small unincorporated community tucked away in Southern California, a bit more than a stone’s throw away from California State Route 74, famous for being the road on which legendary tuna cannery burglar Smiler Grogan kicked the bucket. It was on this fateful stretch of sun-baked Americana that a bunch of nutters ultimately tore off in pursuit of a bounty buried under a big W, and as we speak, our favorite IndyCar drivers are sailing right out there to claim their own fortune after a big W. There’s just something about SoCal I guess.

05-bigw.jpgYou can practically hear the music just looking at it.

The thing you most likely know about Thermal is not even in Thermal, but a few minutes away: the Coachella valley. The Coachella region is probably best known for the music festival of the same name, where wannabe artistic luminaries initially gathered in the communal spirit of faux-hippiedom before eventually determining it was more profitable to fleece ignorant attendees of their hard-earned coin while preaching wokist bullshit in a form of capitalism so pure it would’ve killed Adam Smith in the smallest legal dosage. I guess you either go broke a hero or live long enough to sell out and become The Man.

Speaking of selling out, IndyCar.com describes this event as a “historic, innovative showcase”, but you’d be forgiven for thinking it’s just the world’s oldest profession with wheels, because the club’s embarrassingly wealthy members get to join teams on the pit wall and during debriefs throughout the weekend. Membership to the Thermal Club is the definition of “if you have to ask, you can’t afford it”, with prices starting at “I’m a nepo baby” and climbing all the way up to “I’m a nepo baby and staked my entire net worth on Nvidia call options at the start of the year”. Both of those are a pretty miserable way to live, and they require having such a distorted view of money that things like riding into space in a penis-shaped rocket built by 4chan memelords or taking a Montoya-sized soda can to see the wreckage of the Titanic seem like good ways to spend it. In fairness either of these pursuits is probably about as dangerous as putting yourself in the firing line of one of Romain Grosjean’s flying pit crew members so points for consistency I guess.

09-mrsmarcus.jpgNot a picture of Romain Grosjean.

Previously, on “IndyCar”...

When we last left our heroes, they were barely surviving the brutally challenging weather of an early spring day in Florida. Betwixt the concrete walls of the St. Petersburg street circuit, we greeted the dawn of a new IndyCar season expecting maximum chaos and minimum predictability. We got neither, which I guess means that we got one after all?

11-ppg.jpg
Josef Newgarden made short work of Meyer-Shank upstart Felix Rosenqvist and never looked back. Pato O’Ward picked up where he left off last year with another second place, and Scott McLaughlin and Will Power followed them home to complete a Chevy 1-2-3-4. Honda only managed fifth, with Colton Herta leading defending champion Álex Palou home ahead of Rosenqvist. Alexander Rossi, Scott Dixon, and Rinus Veekay rounded out the Top 10. The ideal strategy for the race was a two-stopper, and every yellow happened right in the pit windows (IndyCars don’t have doors). The whole thing was about as memorable as Benjamin Pedersen—but just like that, it’s been 20 years of racing at St. Pete, which means it’s now passed from being the hot new thing into being something that you use to mark the bewildering passage of time, like, “Damn, the last time I got that wasted, IndyCar wasn’t racing at St. Petersburg!”

Doesn’t everyone do it like that?

The Verdict
Better than: that friggin’ Nashville track
Not as good as: that time Mario Andretti said “biatch”
Wait for it: IndyCar returns to Baltimore

12-podium.jpg

The Standings Until Long Beach

NTT IndyCar Series

1st – Josef Newgarden (54 pts)
2nd – Pato O’Ward (40 pts)
3rd – Scott McLaughlin (35 pts)
4th – Will Power (32 pts)
5th – Colton Herta (31 pts)
6th – Álex Palou (28 pts)
7th – Felix Rosenqvist (26 pts)
8th – Alexander Rossi (24 pts)
9th – Scott Dixon (22 pts)
10th – Rinus Veekay (20 pts)

IndyCar Fantasy Challenge Driven by Firestone

1st – Dolph with Wheel Power (160.5 pts)
2nd – Anja Autosport (160.5 pts)
3rd – The Sultans of Sling (156.5 pts)
4th – milestone 11 (156.5 pts)
5th – Lilynator (145.5 pts)
6th – tpatricio (145.5 pts)
7th – Afterburner Autosport (145 pts)
8th – A.J. Frood Enterprises (137.5 pts)
9th – paulb_lackofspeedshop (137.25 pts)
10th – Cig35 Racing (133 pts)

This Weekend, on “IndyCar”...

“I’m thinking of this as a test. A cool open test with money at the end.” - Will Power, today

Drivers will get about 10 hours to test and prepare their cars for Sunday’s heat races, minus the inevitable random red flag caused by a driver whose aspirations are limited to being the one you pick every race as the last member of your fantasy team. There are two 10-lap races and then a 20 lap race with a forced “half-time” period at 10 laps instead of pit stops. The steady hands have all said they’re in it for the championship and imaginary numbers on a screen mean more to them than money—but I bet Scott Dixon doesn’t drive for free ever since Kit showed up. Sure, Gordon Gecko told us greed is good, but anyone with experience in metaphysicotheologocosmolonigology (hi Risil) may beg to differ.

So where does this leave us for this test-exhibition-experiment-thing? Well, GA ticket prices started at $2,000 and got cut to just $500 when nobody was biting, and with Ilott once again subbing for the still-injured David Malukas, God help us all if the 14 people who show up are Canapino fans. The event is being live-streamed by influencers, which sounds great until you realize that means Conor Daly and George Costanza’s daughter. Thankfully, at least the rich groupies on the pit wall aren’t going to collect a shit-ton of money for doing nothing—at least not more than they were already going to. However, this adjusted purse leaves us with the awkward situation of a $1 million challenge paying out only $500,000 to the winner—thankfully the total purse is still about $1.75 million so IndyCar won’t get sued. Probably.

13-thermal.jpg

And Now, Your Regularly Scheduled Programming

Very Important IndyCar Trivia

- Membership at The Thermal Club costs over $5.4 million
- $5.4 million is approximately the median annual budget for an IndyCar entry
- The daily mean temperature in Thermal, California in March is 15 °C
- 15 is Graham Rahal’s car number
- In St. Pete, Josef Newgarden led 92 laps, made 2 pit stops, won his 7th street race, and scored 4 bonus points
- 92274 is the area code for Thermal, California

You Wish You Had...

... prospects this hot.

Take a Drink Every Time...

“... the Thirsty Threes are closing in on the Young American!”

Do You Remember...

... the Hawaii Super Prix?

Anagram of the day:

Josef Newgarden/Ensnared Fog Jew

What Does It All Mean?

The hell if I know. We’ve got a whole month from now until Long Beach, so I guess we should thank Sting Ray Robb’s sponsor that it wasn’t a month and a half from St. Pete until then. He only knows what’s in store for us next, whether it’s more anti-chaos or everyone getting flung from a wacky ladder and into a hospital on the last lap while Roger Penske sneaks off with the five-hundred G’s. You know as well as I do that, whatever comes next, it could be interesting, and sometimes, that’s enough.

Now excuse me while I tie some cash to the end of a fishing rod and wait for Will Power to show up.

Advertisement

#2 FLB

FLB

• 29,888 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 00:14

I would love for this to turn out like the old Marlboro Challenge at Laguna. And that race was the type of stuff that makes me a Rick Mears fan to this day.

#3 red stick

red stick

• 14,129 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 00:37

I feel the sudden urge to phone a friend . . .

#4 SKL

SKL

• 1,416 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 00:45

But unless I'm mistaken, it is "only" 500,000 not a million...    (originally the other 500 was supposed to go to a Thermal Club member)

I just hope this whole thing isn't a big debacle...

In all honesty, I'm more looking forward to the races at COTA this weekend :eek:

Edited by SKL, 20 March 2024 - 00:48.

#5 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,193 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 00:54

Loving the first post  :up:

Is it just me or does the 10 + 10 + 20 laps seem extremely short. I understand it is such that it fits inside a regular races broadcast window, but seeing 10 to 30 laps of each car is so short. 

Any ideas from previous testing what the lap time are?

#6 AncientLurker

AncientLurker

• 728 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 01:42

Instant classic opening post again AB!

Not sure about this race being an instant classic, but as they always say, ‘you indycar, me watch’.

#7 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,082 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 02:03

Is it even broadcasted? Sign of the neoliberal times with a major sports series driving in a fenced off millionaire / billlonaire area where plebs are not allowed to enter. People living there consider the IndyCar fans who watch the races peasants. Leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Racing for the 0.001% of the population behind closed fences...

#8 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,109 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 03:01

You never disappoint W.H.

If Ellison has a strong enough car I reckon he'll wreck everyone and win.

Great opening post!

#9 red stick

red stick

• 14,129 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 03:30

Ellison?  His experience is in racing yachts.  Be lost at sea in the desert.    :smoking:

#10 Anja

Anja

• 10,355 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 08:55

Another great OP, suitably sharp.

#11 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,562 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 09:02

I love how the track is surrounded by an ugly all, punctuated only with billionaires’ even uglier houses.

#12 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,562 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 09:07

Also, thanks for reminding me that every new F1 track nowadays is inspired by a bonus track from the PS1/N64 era. I feel bad for the N64 guys. That game looks rough compared to the Psygnosis games on PS1.

#13 Beri

Beri

• 11,668 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 09:29

That awkward moment when you realize that the ring road surrounding the circuit looks more interesting than the track itself.

#14 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 11:27

Great OP! Dare I say will provide more joy and excitement than the race will?

This track doesn't strike me as one where a lot of overtaking will happen...

#15 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,274 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 11:28

Is it even broadcasted? Sign of the neoliberal times with a major sports series driving in a fenced off millionaire / billlonaire area where plebs are not allowed to enter. People living there consider the IndyCar fans who watch the races peasants. Leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Racing for the 0.001% of the population behind closed fences...

Did you read the OP or just pop in to level accusations?
1) it’s on TV
2) Prices massively dropped for your ‘peasants’
3) The ‘fences’ will not block the view of those who don’t pay a ‘watch the cars zoom past my venue ’ fee.

Jp

#16 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,239 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 12:34

Also, thanks for reminding me that every new F1 track nowadays is inspired by a bonus track from the PS1/N64 era. I feel bad for the N64 guys. That game looks rough compared to the Psygnosis games on PS1.

There were multiple videos of that track but none of the others featured Expert Driver Jean Alesi, so there was little choice.

jean-alesi-ends-motorsport-career-53186-
See his car number? It was destiny.

#17 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,836 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 12:59

Tuna Burglar

#18 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,836 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 13:01

Brilliant Will Power quote in there too

#19 Frood

Frood

• 9,301 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 13:08

My brain always automatically adds "Expert Driver" whenever I hear/see Jean Alesi's name

Advertisement

#20 AncientLurker

AncientLurker

• 728 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 13:26

That awkward moment when you realize that the ring road surrounding the circuit looks more interesting than the track itself.

Yeah, an old-school road course around the track that looks like it could have a classic feel.

And if you look at the ring road in Google maps, without satellite imagery, you will instantly understand why the VIP hospitality centre would be in the centre of the track.

#21 Autodromo

Autodromo

• 782 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 13:40

Also noting that this is just a short drive from Palm Springs and the millionaires/billionaires gated communities in Indian Wells.  In fact, the homes around the track in Thermal are low rent in caparison.

#22 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,978 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 14:02

Is that a piece of lead down ScottyMac's trousers? Or just the worlds largest phone?

#23 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,239 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 14:34

Is that a piece of lead down ScottyMac's trousers? Or just the worlds largest phone?

Definitely a Pro Max...

#24 Frood

Frood

• 9,301 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 15:17

IndyCar's biggest Pro Max since Chilton.

#25 paulb

paulb

• 11,263 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 15:52

This is getting weird, even for Indycar.

#26 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,274 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 22:31

UK Broadcast times.

IMG-3083.jpg
Thank you Tom.

Jp

#27 paulb

paulb

• 11,263 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 23:38

Sacrilege alert (and it has nothing to do with Sting Ray Robb). I have very little interest in this event. I find the venue and format uninteresting. The only hope I have is that the 10 lap sprints could produce chaos that would bring a tear to Romain’s eyes. Otoh, if people are saving their equipment for the races that matter, as Steve Martin once said, get excited and go to a yawning festival.

I may not watch, but I likely peek just because its Indycar.

#28 red stick

red stick

• 14,129 posts

Posted 21 March 2024 - 00:55

It strikes me as, meh.  You're not alone.

#29 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,857 posts

Posted 21 March 2024 - 10:23

I had no idea about this. Seems pointless, I will probably skip unless I have nothing else going on on Sunday.

Is the $2000 GA ticket price story actually true? Hilarious if so. That makes Vegas F1 seem good value...

#30 ANF

ANF

• 29,547 posts

Posted 21 March 2024 - 11:04

There are two 10-lap races and then a 20 lap race with a forced “half-time” period at 10 laps instead of pit stops.

What a shame. I would have loved to see pit stops with that pit exit...

#31 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,836 posts

Posted 21 March 2024 - 12:11

Sacrilege alert (and it has nothing to do with Sting Ray Robb). I have very little interest in this event. I find the venue and format uninteresting. The only hope I have is that the 10 lap sprints could produce chaos that would bring a tear to Romain’s eyes. Otoh, if people are saving their equipment for the races that matter, as Steve Martin once said, get excited and go to a yawning festival.

I may not watch, but I likely peek just because its Indycar.

I have a totally unverified theory that the idea for this event started life as "pro-am Indycar for rich folks" (is there any other kind?) and as this was clearly impractical it ended up being "try being a co-owner for a day" and for some reason it's become this bastardized non-championship heat race format.

#32 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,274 posts

Posted 21 March 2024 - 14:53

Hmmmm. No Fantasy Picks yet.

Jp

#33 red stick

red stick

• 14,129 posts

Posted 21 March 2024 - 15:04

Non points in real life is non points in the alternate universe?

#34 red stick

red stick

• 14,129 posts

Posted 21 March 2024 - 16:37

I have a totally unverified theory that the idea for this event started life as "pro-am Indycar for rich folks" (is there any other kind?) and as this was clearly impractical it ended up being "try being a co-owner for a day" and for some reason it's become this bastardized non-championship heat race format.

This probably answers the question I had about the rationale for the event a few days ago.  The target just keeps moving, and this is where we have landed.  Mostly it makes me wonder who at Thermal is owed a favor by someone in IndyCar, because otherwise I really can't comprehend why we're here at all. 

#35 paulb

paulb

• 11,263 posts

Posted 21 March 2024 - 17:43

This probably answers the question I had about the rationale for the event a few days ago.  The target just keeps moving, and this is where we have landed.  Mostly it makes me wonder who at Thermal is owed a favor by someone in IndyCar, because otherwise I really can't comprehend why we're here at all. 

The weather?

#36 red stick

red stick

• 14,129 posts

Posted 21 March 2024 - 18:01

I have learned not to comment on California weather, horticulture, greenery, or lack thereof, or geography as it relates to fluids, because I have no firsthand knowledge of any of the above. YMMV. :cool:

#37 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 21 March 2024 - 22:07

I have learned not to comment on California weather, horticulture, greenery, or lack thereof, or geography as it relates to fluids, because I have no firsthand knowledge of any of the above. YMMV. :cool:

How dare you not go full internet! This calls for a revocation of your internet card   ;)

The internet credo: I know nothing at all about this, but here's exactly how it is  :D Also, never admit being wrong. Instead, attack the person that pointed out you were incorrect   ;)

It's supposed to be windy, with blowing sand, near Palm Springs, but that's more to the northern end of the basin. I don't know what, if anything, it means for Thermal Club. 

#38 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 21 March 2024 - 22:10

Perhaps billionaire pro-am racers in Indycars proved not such a good idea.

Much as Russian oligarchs in Ferraris, etc., isn't either.

#39 FLB

FLB

• 29,888 posts

Posted 21 March 2024 - 22:21

Japanese heirs to an electronics empire...?

(I'll get me coat)

Advertisement

#40 AncientLurker

AncientLurker

• 728 posts

Posted 21 March 2024 - 22:27

Thing is, the pro-am is actually a really good idea. Obviously you can’t have the ams driving indycars, but you could run something more accessible of a Chevy and/or Honda make and do driver swaps. Competitive, but fun. Live in race interviews with the drivers making jokes, lots of pit lane banter. I am not a golf fan, but I have seen bits of them pulling off the pro-am thing and it looks like they get some good coverage.?

#41 paulb

paulb

• 11,263 posts

Posted 21 March 2024 - 23:13

Thing is, the pro-am is actually a really good idea. Obviously you can’t have the ams driving indycars, but you could run something more accessible of a Chevy and/or Honda make and do driver swaps. Competitive, but fun. Live in race interviews with the drivers making jokes, lots of pit lane banter. I am not a golf fan, but I have seen bits of them pulling off the pro-am thing and it looks like they get some good coverage.?

Make it a relay race, with the Ams driving *insert your favorite econobox model here*. Indycar pits, econobox on track. This fantasy is fueled by memories of watching VW Rabbit clashing on two wheels at Riverside.

Edited by paulb, 21 March 2024 - 23:13.

#42 red stick

red stick

• 14,129 posts

Posted 21 March 2024 - 23:37

How dare you not go full internet! This calls for a revocation of your internet card   ;)

The internet credo: I know nothing at all about this, but here's exactly how it is  :D Also, never admit being wrong. Instead, attack the person that pointed out you were incorrect   ;)

"Learned" implies at least one mistake. Probably more. :smoking:

#43 Frood

Frood

• 9,301 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 10:32

(Vadim Kogay dislikes this)

Edited by Frood, 22 March 2024 - 10:33.

#44 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,082 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 11:14

I will try to watch for sure because I always love discovering a new circuit I never saw racing on and this track has a mountain background which is always nice.

PS: read that they are allowing spectators, although 500$ for just an IndyCar race is on the heavy side: those are F1 prices. But good that spectators are allowed in, that's how it always should be.

Edited by William Hunt, 22 March 2024 - 11:17.

#45 AncientLurker

AncientLurker

• 728 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 14:25

$500 a person is steep, but the millionaires certainly aren’t going to pay for the prize pool, the regular folk are.

#46 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,274 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 16:00

OK then, Practice 1..

Here we go....

Jp

#47 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,274 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 16:01

Sure looks like a beautiful day...

Jp

#48 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,274 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 16:43

Qualy Groups for tomorrow

IMG-3086.jpg
Jp

#49 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,603 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 19:17

Are there commercials on indycarlive.com?

#50 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 19:56

Japanese heirs to an electronics empire...?

(I'll get me coat)

The Oligarchs are generally much, much worse.

...king Hiro wasn't good at looking in his mirrors, but past that, I've seen worse from drivers who shall remain nameless in FP1 sessions of F1.