* * * * - 2 votes

2025 IndyCar Silly Season

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 FLB

FLB

• 29,888 posts

Posted 29 March 2024 - 14:00

At Red Stick's suggestion in the regular season thread ('You are stopped by . . . ?' :lol: ), there is enough news coming in that it's justifed to open a 2025 IndyCar Silly Season thread, IMHO.

And there's a biggie this morning:

To that end, multiple sources tell RACER that PREMA — which has a robust European junior open-wheel and sports car operation and has expanded into the U.S. through its running of the Iron Lynx Lamborghini IMSA GTP program — has secured a pair of engine leases from Chevy and is expected to announce a two-car IndyCar effort in the coming weeks.

Source: Growing grids a great problem for IndyCar to have | RACER

Edited by FLB, 29 March 2024 - 14:03.

Advertisement

#2 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,449 posts

Posted 29 March 2024 - 14:23

Oooh. Now will PrattMiller also be able to snag a pair of leases?

#3 red stick

red stick

• 14,129 posts

Posted 29 March 2024 - 14:45

Sometimes "Be the change you wish to see in the world" is the appropriate advice.    ;)

It may also be useful to compile on the first page, for later reference, a list of the drivers who are known/suspected to be in the last year of their current contracts, or who are subject to team options and may be seeking new rides, which I believe includes:

Rossi

Lundgaard

Newgarden

Veekay

Malukas

Power?

Lundqvist?

And OTOH:

Not Palou (if you must, insert joke here)

Not Dixon

Not Rahal

Not O'Ward

Not Herta

Not Ericsson

Not Kirkwood

Not McLaughlin? (signed multi-year extension in September 2022).

Edited by red stick, 29 March 2024 - 20:59.

#4 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,239 posts

Posted 29 March 2024 - 16:35

I'm reading that article about Prema and it's become very clear to me that the engine lease pricing cap needs to be raised. Extra cash seems to be flowing everywhere except to the engine partners at the moment and that's going to be an issue if it's not sorted soon. It's no good having interest from teams that can't join for lack of an OEM willing to supply them. Honda and other potential suitors say they're not seeing enough return to justify the investment—well, to me, it seems the easiest way to make it justified is to let them put more dollars in their pocket for supplying the teams. If the current team owners complain about costs going up then I'd point them to the new teams who appear willing to foot the bill.

I know OEMs being ridiculous about costs is one of the reasons CART fell apart but having OEMs threatening to pull out because there are too many teams to supply seems like the opposite problem.

#5 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,856 posts

Posted 29 March 2024 - 20:11

There was also an article at Racer about Newgarden wants to be paid more money as the Andretti drivers get much more salary. And now he looks what his options are. But the doors at Andretti, McLaren and Ganassi seems to be close. So he will stay at Penske.

I don't expect a lot of changes on the grid for next season, not for the top teams.

#6 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,814 posts

Posted 29 March 2024 - 21:00

At Red Stick's suggestion in the regular season thread ('You are stopped by . . . ?' :lol: ), there is enough news coming in that it's justifed to open a 2025 IndyCar Silly Season thread, IMHO.

And there's a biggie this morning:

Source: Growing grids a great problem for IndyCar to have | RACER

Huge and straight to two cars. 

Edited by ARTGP, 29 March 2024 - 21:01.

#7 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,814 posts

Posted 29 March 2024 - 21:01

There was also an article at Racer about Newgarden wants to be paid more money as the Andretti drivers get much more salary. And now he looks what his options are. But the doors at Andretti, McLaren and Ganassi seems to be close. So he will stay at Penske.

I don't expect a lot of changes on the grid for next season, not for the top teams.

I have no doubt that Ganassi and Brown/Mclaren would help Newgarden with a fake contract to leverage Penske over...   :lol:

Edited by ARTGP, 29 March 2024 - 21:02.

#8 Lennat

Lennat

• 2,066 posts

Posted 30 March 2024 - 02:47

Why wouldn't McLaren make a proper attempt to sign Newgarden? I can't find any info about the length of Rossi's "multi-year" deal, but he has looked more solid than great, and Malukas is only signed for this year, right?

Edited by Lennat, 30 March 2024 - 08:19.

#9 Lennat

Lennat

• 2,066 posts

Posted 30 March 2024 - 03:06

I also assume Ganassi would happily trade any non Palou/Dixon driver for Newgarden IF money wasn't an issue (unless Lundqvist manages to look REALLY good this year).

The other issue is that I think Lundgaard is available for presumably less money, and looks pretty damn great so far, so he would also be a proper competitor for any available top seat.

And one more thing: McLaughlin signed a "multi-year" deal in 2022, which means he might well be available for next year. I don't think he is as an attractive option as Newgarden, but still a very, very good and potentially available driver.

#10 red stick

red stick

• 14,129 posts

Posted 30 March 2024 - 04:10

Why wouldn't McLaren make a proper attempt to sign Newgarden? I cant find any info about the length of Rossi's "multi-year" deal, but he has looked more solid than great, and Malukas is only signed for this year, right?

This is the last year of Rossi's deal.  Malukas is said to be on a one-year plus team option.  

#11 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,449 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 13:36

Other than Pato, McLaren will have 2 or 3 open seats potentially for 2025.  Yes, it would be a big money contract, but I think that if Zak couldn't snag Palou, grabbing the only other guy to have won titles against Scott Dixon, and who isn't in his early 40s makes a lot of sense.  Even retaining Rossi as the third driver in that mix would work and give you 3 cars with drivers who are mature professionals that will be able to consistently put cars into the top 10 with many years of peak performance in front of them.

#12 Lennat

Lennat

• 2,066 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 14:59

Other than Pato, McLaren will have 2 or 3 open seats potentially for 2025.  Yes, it would be a big money contract, but I think that if Zak couldn't snag Palou, grabbing the only other guy to have won titles against Scott Dixon, and who isn't in his early 40s makes a lot of sense.  Even retaining Rossi as the third driver in that mix would work and give you 3 cars with drivers who are mature professionals that will be able to consistently put cars into the top 10 with many years of peak performance in front of them.

Every top team would be interested in Newgarden for sure. He is ten years younger than Dixon, who will actually be 45 next year (and is getting beaten by Palou). 

If I had an IndyCar team and could could pick anyone I wanted, he would probably be my second pick after Palou (but I also think Lundegaard in a top car could be really, really good)..

#13 H0R

H0R

• 4,119 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 15:04

I still won't bet on O'Ward staying at McLaren. Brown dangling the F1 carrot before him will only work for so much time and he finally will start looking for a car to win the 500 and/or the championship. I bet Chip Ganassi would be ecstatic to hire him if only to annoy his special friend Zak Brown.

#14 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,449 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 15:32

I could see O'Ward leaving, but also I can seem him staying.  He's got the biggest fanbase of any current driver, and does great commercial work, which appeals to McLaren, and as the team builds up, he's going to be the guy leading the charge.  Team success tends to come in waves, and I don't think Ganassi and Penske will be as easily able to monopolize the results as they have done.  And I think O'Ward knows that, and knows that being the guy to win with McLaren will be a bigger deal than going to Penske or Ganassi.  Plus, I don't think he and Palou get along well at all, and he probably would not want to go to a team where Palou was "the guy."

Edited by juicy sushi, 02 April 2024 - 15:33.

#15 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,296 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 16:10

O'Ward is certainly capable of winning titles. Is McLaren the team that'll get him there? The jury is still out. I do wonder how long he'll wait before he decides to take the plunge and offer his services elsewhere.

#16 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,843 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 16:43

Penske should get him when Will Power decides he's had enough. They have more options than anyone of course.

#17 Anja

Anja

• 10,355 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 17:35

It feels very weird to me even speculating about Newgarden driving somewhere else. Ever since he arrived at Penske it seemed like the perfect fit for the rest of his career. 

As for Pato I think he's happy where he is and won't be actively looking to leave for a while yet but every driver pays attention to opportunities on the market. It'd have to be one hell of a chance though. 

#18 red stick

red stick

• 14,129 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 18:20

The one worry Newgarden may have, which wouldn't necessarily be an issue with the next contract, I suppose, is what does the team look like after Penske? I'm sure there's a plan, but . . .

#19 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,274 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 19:14

It’ll look like Tim Cindric.

Jp

Advertisement

#20 red stick

red stick

• 14,129 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 19:26

You know what I mean. It will be the same but different.

#21 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,449 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 19:38

You know what I mean. It will be the same but different.

Cindric will want to make sure he's more of a Ron Dennis than a Teddy Mayer, but so much depends on how the different parts of the Penske empire go.  The glue that binds them together will be gone.

#22 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,279 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 09:47

I still won't bet on O'Ward staying at McLaren. Brown dangling the F1 carrot before him will only work for so much time and he finally will start looking for a car to win the 500 and/or the championship. I bet Chip Ganassi would be ecstatic to hire him if only to annoy his special friend Zak Brown.

O'Ward just signed a multi-year new deal a few weeks ago.

#23 FLB

FLB

• 29,888 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 10:15

Ilott rumours, according to The RACER Mailbag, April 3 | RACER | Page 2 :

Q: After the Barber test and the $1 Million Challenge, what did Arrow McLaren think about Callum Ilott? I really hope he gets a chance somewhere in IndyCar after what Juncos did to him last season.

Paul, Indianapolis, IN

MP: Only things I heard were positive. Well-liked within the team. Strong chassis feedback. Played well within the team dynamic — he ceded positions to Rossi and O’Ward without being unnecessarily combative. I’ve heard Prema Racing is also among those who are interested in Ilott, so his odds of getting back to full-time IndyCar seem to be improving for 2025.

Edited by FLB, 03 April 2024 - 10:15.

#24 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,274 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 10:25

You know what I mean. .

I do.. sorry for being pedantic.

Isn’t there a son in line for the stewardship of the series and speedway?
It’s not Jay either , right?

Jp

#25 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,279 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 10:48

Ilott rumours, according to The RACER Mailbag, April 3 | RACER | Page 2 :

If I were McLaren I'd get him signed up for next year now.

#26 red stick

red stick

• 14,129 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 12:50

I do.. sorry for being pedantic.
It’s not Jay either , right?
Jp

Greg?

#27 loki

loki

• 12,332 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 17:37

Mari’s son?…

#28 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,449 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 17:56

Mari’s son?…

point-mad.gif

#29 Beri

Beri

• 11,668 posts

Posted 04 April 2024 - 08:00

O'Ward just signed a multi-year new deal a few weeks ago.

Something with McLaren and contracts that makes me think deals are there to be broken..

#30 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,517 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 13:03

Prema racing in IndyCar 2025.... Will they bring drivers from Europe, or find some locally?

#31 Frood

Frood

• 9,301 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 13:05

Prema racing in IndyCar 2025.... Will they bring drivers from Europe, or find some locally?

One of each, supposedly. As I posted in the other thread, I think Vesti is likely to be the latter (I know you'd be happy with that!)

#32 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,517 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 13:07

One of each, supposedly. As I posted in the other thread, I think Vesti is likely to be the latter (I know you'd be happy with that!)

The other thread? Which one should I have been in?

Yes I would like Vesti a Single seater series.

#33 Frood

Frood

• 9,301 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 13:08

Muppetmad posted the news in the 2024 season thread.

#34 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,517 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 13:11

Muppetmad posted the news in the 2024 season thread.

Ahhhh... it is sort of Silly Season 2025 driver wise, I stay here then...  :cool:

#35 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,296 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 13:11

Yes, my bad - I lose track of which threads are active!

#36 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,517 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 13:16

Yes, my bad - I lose track of which threads are active!

So do I, especially the F1 ones where the distinction between each teams 2 are little hazy, for Prema news maybe

Team - 2024

Drivers - 2024

:cool:

#37 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,651 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 13:27

I think they could even try to pry VK loose from ECR. He is there for quite some seasons now, but the team isn't making much progress. Last year it took them ages to get the car in order.

#38 Frood

Frood

• 9,301 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 13:52

Actually, I think that's a good shout. He's got decent experience on ovals now and is a race winner. Would be cheaper than my suggestion (Rossi) as well.

Had this come a year earlier, I would have said Rosenqvist without hesitation, but he's settling in happily at MSR.

Edited by Frood, 09 April 2024 - 13:54.

#39 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,517 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 14:50

Who is VK?

Advertisement

#40 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,449 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 15:18

I think McLaren's contract situation makes this all very interesting because they clearly want to expand to 4 cars, and also apparently are looking at Lundgard, so potentially there could be plenty of transition as Ilott is impressing, and perhaps Pourchaire as well.  So, Rossi could potentially exit, as well as Malukas being very much a question mark at this point (hate to say that to the kid, given his bad luck, but in his absence the seat-fillers have definitely raised the bar he will need to clear to keep that seat), meaning you could have a 3-4 car McLaren team in 2025 of O'Ward, Lundgard, any one or maybe two of Ilott, Pourchaire, or Rossi.  And Prema picking up one of either Rossi or Ilott to build around.  The ongoing crew shortage in North America will also be messy, since the strong surge in IMSA will mean it will not be easy getting fully staffed like it might have been 3-4 years ago.

The biggest problem is that lack of a strong promotional push to get people to watch a series that may be running old cars, but is clearly the deepest non-F1 talent pool on the planet.

#41 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,449 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 15:19

Prema coming in with backing might also create a bit of an issue for other teams thinking they can just tell drivers to suck it up and accept Andretti just overpaid.  Another player with the willingness to spend to get an anchor driver to build around probably helps Newgarden's desire to get more $$$.

#42 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 16,036 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 15:36

Who is VK?

Rinus van Kalmthout - Rinus VeeKay - Rinus VK - VK.

#43 Jellyfishcake

Jellyfishcake

• 5,276 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 16:04

Happy to see Prema join Indycar, the days of a F1 jr team stepping up to F1 are long gone, but to Indycar it still seems potentially viable.

Hope they go well, and more teams is always a good thing in my book, unlike F1s...

#44 FLB

FLB

• 29,888 posts

Posted 10 April 2024 - 16:28

Interview with René Rosin about Prema to IndyCar: We're not going there to make up the numbers, we want to fight, we want to get there when we're ready to achieve something:

https://www.autohebd...ombre-2025.html (en francais)

#45 onewingedangel

onewingedangel

• 1,597 posts

Posted 10 April 2024 - 17:21

Prema to indycar sounds great until Lance Stroll is announced as one of their drivers.

#46 Frood

Frood

• 9,301 posts

Posted 10 April 2024 - 17:23

No reason Stroll couldn't be a good IndyCar driver. See: Marcus Ericsson.

#47 loki

loki

• 12,332 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 07:18

He would have to spell his name Strøll in order to fit into the new Nordic motif...

#48 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,979 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 08:26

If in Ericsson mould it'll be Ströll. If Danish Strøll. But there's enough Danes so the Swedes can have him.

#49 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,651 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 08:49

He would have to spell his name Strøll in order to fit into the new Nordic motif...

$trøll - he is a paydriver after all.

#50 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,279 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 09:28

$trøll - he is a paydriver after all.

Lance doesn’t bring any budget to his current drive…