- - - - -

The FIA is consdering leaving Paris

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 FLB

FLB

• 32,821 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 21:21

This is the other bomb of the day (beside Penske): The FIA is considering leaving Paris for fiscal reasons: La FIA amenée à quitter Paris ? | AutoHebdo (en francais)

Bien que la France soit le berceau du sport automobile, la concurrence internationale, notamment en termes de coût du travail, et la mondialisation du sport, fragilisent cette position », explique Xavier Malenfer, directeur des relations institutionnelles et internationales à la FIA. « Sans clarification, par la reconnaissance d’un statut spécifique pour les fédérations sportives internationales, il y a peu d’espoir de voir les activités de la FIA se développer davantage et cela malgré tous les atouts incontestables de Paris. »

Translation: 'Even though France is the birthplace of auto racing, international competition, notably in working costs, and the globalization of sport, weaken this position', says Xavier Malenfer, Director of Institutional and International Relations at the FIA. 'Without clarification, by recognizing a specific statute for the international sporting federations, there is little hope of seeing the activities of the FIA develop further and this despite all of the undisputable advantages of Paris'.

Edited by FLB, 24 April 2024 - 23:48.

Advertisement

#2 arrysen

arrysen

• 175 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 21:47

Quite a lot of the FIA functions and people are already located in Geneva, so changing Geneva to the official headquarters instead of Paris wouldn't be that surprising. It would be tough on the people working for the FIA in Paris if the whole thing was moved somewhere else though.

#3 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 6,032 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 22:01

Relocating to Croydon.

#4 flyboym3

flyboym3

• 2,241 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 22:02

Lots of money in the middle East, aint that right Mo..

#5 pdac

pdac

• 18,095 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 23:48

Repositioning themselves so that they can regain the commercial rights for F1 (or whatever they will have to call it in future).

#6 loki

loki

• 13,369 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 01:33

Paris is the Geneva of Abu Dhabis…

#7 statsguy

statsguy

• 86 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 06:08

Quite a lot of the FIA functions and people are already located in Geneva, so changing Geneva to the official headquarters instead of Paris wouldn't be that surprising. It would be tough on the people working for the FIA in Paris if the whole thing was moved somewhere else though.

They're looking to move for cost-savings - but then move to Switzerland!? :drunk: My reaction from the title alone was they would move to England, where most F1 teams are already based. It depends what work FIA employees need to do in person, and which country that would be most practical in. On-site visits to factories would be easier from England. I imagine some general meetings could be done virtually as is the case nowadays.

#8 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 50,020 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 06:17

They're looking to move for cost-savings - but then move to Switzerland!? :drunk: My reaction from the title alone was they would move to England, where most F1 teams are already based. It depends what work FIA employees need to do in person, and which country that would be most practical in. On-site visits to factories would be easier from England. I imagine some general meetings could be done virtually as is the case nowadays.

There’s orders of magnitude more work that the FIA does than just look after Formula 1.

#9 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 13,708 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 06:46

Middle East somewhere would be my guess for a destination

#10 ATM

ATM

• 1,278 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 07:06

Well if we're taking money, a shell company în the Cayman Islands fits the bill...

#11 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 65,451 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 08:27

I bet Bernie has some rooms in Biggin Hill they could rent

#12 Beri

Beri

• 13,010 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 08:53

You do realize that, despite F1 being the main series to the FIA, that there are more series and there is more work being processed outside of the F1 bubble by the FIA? If anything, going to a country outside of the EU, where most of the legislation withing the FIA is build upon, is hard to comprehend. Not insurmountable, but hard none the less.

That being said, I wouldnt be too surprised if the FIA would end up in the Middle East. Saudi Arabia perhaps.

#13 registered

registered

• 2,617 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 09:17

They just want to pay less tax...

#14 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,734 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 11:26

But office rents and salaries are higher in England than in France.

#15 RainyAfterlifeDaylight

RainyAfterlifeDaylight

• 4,815 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 11:46

They can relocate to Isengard. Well, Saruman is gone (He fell, in case you wonder) and trees are back, the last time I checked. The view is precious and you can see Mordor behind the mountains and also Fangorn forest.

artworks-QDtcRz935Nkz0Q15-2U5IGg-t500x50

#16 LolaB0860

LolaB0860

• 2,417 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 15:58

They can relocate to Isengard. Well, Saruman is gone (He fell, in case you wonder) and trees are back, the last time I checked. The view is precious and you can see Mordor behind the mountains and also Fangorn forest.

Is this the tower in question?

https://en.wikipedia...ki/Jeddah_Tower

I don't think Saruman is quite gone either

https://en.wikipedia...mmed_bin_Salman

#17 BRG

BRG

• 26,665 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 19:22

Surely it needs to be an Ivory Tower if it is to house the FIA...

#18 Secretariat

Secretariat

• 1,515 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 20:24

From a business point of view, I think the FIA will want to be close where the money is for the long term and in markets where motorsports is in a real position for expansion. Not really a criticism, but there are a lot of places becoming increasingly hostile to the automobile (and not without good reasoning). Automobiles and motorsports are invariably linked and if you look at some trends regarding the developing automobile industry in Abu Dhabi, plus the a fore mentioned proximity to wealth, I think Abu Dhabi (UAE) is where they will settle. There are additional reference information to consider, but below are quick ones to highlight.

https://www.tyreplus...insights-trends

https://www.autotek....tive-innovation

https://insightssucc...omy-in-the-uae/

#19 FLB

FLB

• 32,821 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 21:37

From a business point of view, I think the FIA will want to be close where the money is for the long term and in markets where motorsports is in a real position for expansion. Not really a criticism, but there are a lot of places becoming increasingly hostile to the automobile (and not without good reasoning). 

Including the Place de la Concorde in Paris, where it is actually located. Paris mayor Anne Hidalgo has decided that, after the Olympics, the volume of automobiles going through there will be cut by 50%, Initially, she wanted to ban cars altogether:

Paris : Après les JO, la voiture ne fera pas son retour sur la moitié de la place de la Concorde (20minutes.fr) (en francais)

Advertisement

#20 pdac

pdac

• 18,095 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 22:04

Including the Place de la Concorde in Paris, where it is actually located. Paris mayor Anne Hidalgo has decided that, after the Olympics, the volume of automobiles going through there will be cut by 50%, Initially, she wanted to ban cars altogether:

Paris : Après les JO, la voiture ne fera pas son retour sur la moitié de la place de la Concorde (20minutes.fr) (en francais)

And I'm sure the mayor of London will be watching closely (especially if Mr Khan is re-elected). But, to be fair, how are they going to shift those EV's unless motorists have no choice?