Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Miami GP Build (down your expectations)up, thread.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1701 replies to this topic

#1 RekF1

RekF1

• 2,255 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 20:05

It's going to be rubbish and you know it. It's a 'Temu' Las Vegas, but everyone has to pretend it's authentic.

This track reminds me of my ex girlfriend from Valencia. She'd sometimes try interpreting jokes into English, and it was sweet I guess, but the jokes were awful and made me feel a bit empty.

What are your thoughts for the weekend and my ex?

https://twitter.com/...cHRG_wKkOg&s=19

Advertisement

#2 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,617 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 20:13

- Lots of celebs

- Could produce some major announcements

- Sh*t race

That vid is awesome  :lol:

Edited by aportinga, 29 April 2024 - 21:13.

#3 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,950 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 20:17

I hate this track / race / circus so much.

It’s worse than Abu Dhabi and Qatar.

#4 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,986 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 20:24

The gossip will be much more fun than the race, that's my prediction.

Oh and is it a sprint weekend again? Yay.....

#5 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,986 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 20:26

At least it looks better than those as it's in daylight. It does have an identity. Sadly that identity is ****.

#6 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,671 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 20:29

Yup, only looking forward to McLaren's upgrade, nothing else

#7 RekF1

RekF1

• 2,255 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 20:30

Yup, only looking forward to McLaren's upgrade, nothing else

Would the upgrades have any relevance here?

#8 loki

loki

• 12,533 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 20:31

I expect Brundle to be cringe on the grid walk.

#9 karl100589

karl100589

• 334 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 20:35

A North American race means Danica as a pundit, which means more awkward tension between her and Jenson.

#10 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,908 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 20:42

That must be worst opening thread ever…

#11 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 62,334 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 20:46

Temu Las Vegas! Elvis could've sung that.

#12 RekF1

RekF1

• 2,255 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 20:46

I agree

#13 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 62,334 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 20:47

Do they have water in the marina yet?

#14 chdphd

chdphd

• 2,847 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 20:48

I have to grit my teeth every time they say "street circuit"  ):

#15 GlenWatkins

GlenWatkins

• 2,213 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 20:51

Thanks for volunteering to do the Imola thread.

#16 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 4,941 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 20:58

I have a feeling we get a safety car or two this time around and hopefully no red flags as it’s the only late one for me this year

#17 Stephane

Stephane

• 4,614 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 20:59

I just checked the timetable, was it always this late ?

#18 Autodromo

Autodromo

• 802 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 21:09

I do like that bit going under the highway turns 14-15, but that's about it.  The venue is one step up from the track in Caesar's parking lot in Vegas

#19 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,910 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 21:14

I vote we don’t try and meet future pain half way and have fun instead.

Advertisement

#20 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 16,297 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 21:15

OP's should reflect the race it's for.

I think it does a good job! 

#21 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,617 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 21:16

We'll be on Longboat Key for a week and this race is smack dab in the middle. 

Besides some possible interesting announcements, it will be nice to watch it on my patio - overlooking the Gulf of Mexico with the waves in the background.

#22 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,852 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 21:30

A North American race means Danica as a pundit, which means more awkward tension between her and Jenson.

I haven't noticed that. What are they tense over?

#23 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,852 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 21:32

I do like that bit going under the highway turns 14-15, but that's about it.  The venue is one step up from the track in Caesar's parking lot in Vegas

That's funny because that's the part that most people hate the most iirc. 

#24 dissident

dissident

• 1,633 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 21:37

I... I like the first sector. 

#25 RekF1

RekF1

• 2,255 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 21:42

I... I like the first sector.

You bring shame to your ancestors.

#26 Anja

Anja

• 10,414 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 21:54

The layout itself isn't the absolute worst, but the overall event just feels very artificial. More so than any other on the calendar, by a margin. The fake marina is very emblematic of the whole thing. 

Edited by Anja, 29 April 2024 - 21:56.

#27 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,989 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 22:09

I know it's easy/trendy to dislike new things purely because they're new, but to my mind this race sums up everything that's wrong with F1 at the moment. 

It's probably hard to explain, but it just feels so forced upon us and fake. There's nothing about this event that feels genuine, it's just a race that exists for the money men to invite their rich, insufferable millionaire/billionaire friends along so they can boast on social media they're at an F1 race, whilst knowing absolutely nothing about it other than it's the thing Lewis Hamilton does. 

Tickets are sold at a ridiculous price to artificially give the impression of this being a special event on the calendar, despite it having only existed for two years and provided next to no memorable moments thus far (other than the time Martin Brundle mistook someone who wasn't Patrick Mahomes for being Patrick Mahomes, maybe). 

And for that exorbitant price, the regular punter gets a crap view of a crap track that will probably produce a crap race that everyone knows the result of days in advance anyway. Yet, despite that, for the next few days the media will try to gaslight us into believing what an amazing, incredible, 'OMG totally stunning babes' event this really is. 

Plus, to top it off, you can guarantee we'll see the now traditional over the top, utter cringe-fest of a build up to the race that for some reason F1 has to do every time it races in the USA, in some desperate "please like our sport!!!" message to people in America. 

Edited by JHSingo, 29 April 2024 - 22:09.

#28 Sauberfan

Sauberfan

• 84 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 22:22

So Miami has become a true hate race. Everyone hates Miami. 

I call it the Weimerica grand prix. Because places like Miami are a modern day version of Weimar Germany today

Edited by Sauberfan, 29 April 2024 - 22:24.

#29 Sauberfan

Sauberfan

• 84 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 22:26

The layout itself isn't the absolute worst, but the overall event just feels very artificial. More so than any other on the calendar, by a margin. The fake marina is very emblematic of the whole thing. 

It was 8th in overtakes last year. So its not terrible layout wise.

#30 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 47,068 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 22:34

I don’t get the hate for this race. I’m not going to sit here and say it’s one of the best on the calendar, but I find it interesting and somewhat unique. Ok the fake marina and pre/post race celebrations are cheesy AF, but I’m here from lights to flag and that about it.

#31 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,852 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 22:37

I know it's easy/trendy to dislike new things purely because they're new, but to my mind this race sums up everything that's wrong with F1 at the moment. 

It's probably hard to explain, but it just feels so forced upon us and fake. There's nothing about this event that feels genuine, it's just a race that exists for the money men to invite their rich, insufferable millionaire/billionaire friends along so they can boast on social media they're at an F1 race, whilst knowing absolutely nothing about it other than it's the thing Lewis Hamilton does. 

Tickets are sold at a ridiculous price to artificially give the impression of this being a special event on the calendar, despite it having only existed for two years and provided next to no memorable moments thus far (other than the time Martin Brundle mistook someone who wasn't Patrick Mahomes for being Patrick Mahomes, maybe). 

And for that exorbitant price, the regular punter gets a crap view of a crap track that will probably produce a crap race that everyone knows the result of days in advance anyway. Yet, despite that, for the next few days the media will try to gaslight us into believing what an amazing, incredible, 'OMG totally stunning babes' event this really is. 

Plus, to top it off, you can guarantee we'll see the now traditional over the top, utter cringe-fest of a build up to the race that for some reason F1 has to do every time it races in the USA, in some desperate "please like our sport!!!" message to people in America. 

Yeah I don't care much for the setting. Even though they've actually gone in and dug down to put a good racing surface there with a proper foundation, it's still stuck right outside an architecturally unremarkable stadium (even as NFL stadia go). However, that's not all the fault of the owners. They did want a much more visually pleasant setting near or even above the water, and who knows, it may have been a cracker for on-track action as well. Unfortunately, that setting was opposed by a very vocal minority that was also backed by the folks here in Texas, just as the Miami Gardens site was. ETA: And like PAYR said above, the racing's not as bad as some make it out imho.

Edited by AustinF1, 29 April 2024 - 22:40.

#32 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 47,068 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 22:40

That said, I’d rather they did the race at the Homestead infield roval, preferably with the banked final turns.

#33 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,671 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 23:00

Would the upgrades have any relevance here?

I actually doubt it, I think the real results will be at a future GP

#34 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,852 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 23:03

That said, I’d rather they did the race at the Homestead infield roval, preferably with the banked final turns.

I'd always had my doubts about roval racing until I finally attended the Daytona 24 this year. I have to say it was pretty, pretty cool.

#35 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,257 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 23:05

That was really good in late 90s FIA GT and early 00s GrandAm.

#36 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,864 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 23:12

Think you missed that it's a sprint weekend as well.

#37 Grippy

Grippy

• 438 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 23:26

The politics at this race could be interesting as a cease-and-desist letter has just been issued to a Paddock Club Rooftop Suite hirer who was going to use it as a political fund-raiser at $250,000 a pop.

#38 BarryinIN

BarryinIN

• 92 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 23:47

I’m only looking forward to news, not the least about/from Andretti Global.

In my dream world, there will be a big announcement saying Andretti is in and this race is being moved to Indianapolis.
Hey, it’s my dream world. Leave me alone.

#39 paulb

paulb

• 11,296 posts

Posted 30 April 2024 - 00:07

A couple folks from my crew in Vegas are marshaling at Miami. I look forward to what they say.

Advertisement

#40 loki

loki

• 12,533 posts

Posted 30 April 2024 - 00:08

Combined with all the booing for Max - I think you're right.

Well at least it has one positive…

#41 azza200

azza200

• 1,024 posts

Posted 30 April 2024 - 00:10

It's lights out and away we go.... Max Verstappen has won the grand prix... the end 

#42 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,266 posts

Posted 30 April 2024 - 00:39

Yeah I personally don't necessarily hate the Netflixization of F1, but this event does seem to highlight the crap things about it particularly well.

As for "the track facilitates overtaking".. well.. does it matter? I personally don't care about that, and want flowing interesting layouts even if they come at the expense of sheer number of passes. The Suzukas of this world are so much more interesting than these forgettable, drawn in the middle of seas of tarmac circuits. I'd only open an exception to circuits that are *absurdly* pro-overtaking, such as Bahrain or modern Hockenheim, where the layout is so minimalistic and open and devoid of fiddly bits, it's really all about facilitating switchbacks and giving drivers opportunities for playing with the slipstream. That is kind of interesting on its own right. But this is NOT what this track is... 8th in the table of most passes last year.. cool, who gives a ****.

Edited by noikeee, 30 April 2024 - 00:40.

#43 nissan_gtp

nissan_gtp

• 152 posts

Posted 30 April 2024 - 01:05

Blue Ferrari. Will it have just a little blue, or will they go all-in full blue? 

#44 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,479 posts

Posted 30 April 2024 - 01:31

Singo, your post sums up well why so many see this entire, contrived event as rubbish. I will feel sympathy to Verstappen, amongst many of the other drivers, as they are paraded out before the attendees. Likewise, poor Martin Brundle (or whomever is obliged to go the gridwalk). Someone earlier commented "I expect Brundle to be cringe on the grid walk."

Not sure what that was attempting to communicate but we can be reasonably sure that Brundle will be cringing on the grid walk. 

#45 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,531 posts

Posted 30 April 2024 - 03:15

I attended it 2 years ago and it was a fantastically well organized event for fans

#46 vlado

vlado

• 4,208 posts

Posted 30 April 2024 - 03:18

Blue Ferrari. Will it have just a little blue, or will they go all-in full blue? 

full on or I'm boycotting 

#47 loki

loki

• 12,533 posts

Posted 30 April 2024 - 03:37

Singo, your post sums up well why so many see this entire, contrived event as rubbish. I will feel sympathy to Verstappen, amongst many of the other drivers, as they are paraded out before the attendees. Likewise, poor Martin Brundle (or whomever is obliged to go the gridwalk). Someone earlier commented "I expect Brundle to be cringe on the grid walk."

Not sure what that was attempting to communicate but we can be reasonably sure that Brundle will be cringing on the grid walk. 

If you aren’t sure you’re not paying attention.  He’s disrespectful, rude, arrogant and self entitled.  He doesn’t know anything about the people he’s stalking and only recognizes them (except when he mistakes a rookie basketball player for a quarterback) because someone is telling him who they are in his IFB.  He stinks of entitled privilege and isn’t contemporary or relevant in US society. 

But other than that he’s OK…

#48 southernstars

southernstars

• 2,348 posts

Posted 30 April 2024 - 04:15

If you aren’t sure you’re not paying attention.  He’s disrespectful, rude, arrogant and self entitled.  He doesn’t know anything about the people he’s stalking and only recognizes them (except when he mistakes a rookie basketball player for a quarterback) because someone is telling him who they are in his IFB.  He stinks of entitled privilege and isn’t contemporary or relevant in US society. 

But other than that he’s OK…

lol, what is this rubbish? You're saying Martin Brundle should be sitting down reading up on every single B-list sports player, C-list "celebrity" and Z-list wannabe influencer that prances up and down the grid as if they're the stars of the show and not the drivers? 

If anything stinks of entitled privilege it's the vapid, shallow airheads that flood the grid and think they're so important.

The relevance of Martin Brundle to US "society" is irrelevant. Those types of people are not the audience. Martin is there for the F1 fans, and he is far more contemporary and relevant than those useless fools.

#49 Sparky68

Sparky68

• 1,180 posts

Posted 30 April 2024 - 04:26

And Welcome to the Miami Grand Prix , it's a sell out. No not the attendance, the Sport!

#50 loki

loki

• 12,533 posts

Posted 30 April 2024 - 04:29

lol, what is this rubbish? You're saying Martin Brundle should be sitting down reading up on every single B-list sports player, C-list "celebrity" and Z-list wannabe influencer that prances up and down the grid as if they're the stars of the show and not the drivers? 

If anything stinks of entitled privilege it's the vapid, shallow airheads that flood the grid and think they're so important.

The relevance of Martin Brundle to US "society" is irrelevant. Those types of people are not the audience. Martin is there for the F1 fans, and he is far more contemporary and relevant than those useless fools.

Then he shouldn’t try so adamantly to get a comment from them.  It’s clear many perhaps most US celebs on the grid don’t wish to be bothered.  He’s the one instigating it.