Photo
- - - - -

Meta thread: Should we just combine "team" and "technical" threads?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

Poll: Meta thread: Should we just combine "team" and "technical" threads? (123 member(s) have cast votes)

How would you prefer to handle team specific discussions?

1. Keep it as it is, a separate technical & team thread (30 votes [24.39%])

Percentage of vote: 24.39%

2. Have one thread for both technical & team discussion (93 votes [75.61%])

Percentage of vote: 75.61%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Topsu

Topsu

• 3,126 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 16:03

I just find it increasingly difficult to follow all these topics these days. There seems to constantly be team talk in the technical threads and technical talk in the team threads. It's not even that obvious what constitutes as what. For some (smaller) teams people have seemingly chosen to use only a single thread.

I wouldn't expect any moderation to be able to keep up with it all, and I also wouldn't expect the discussion itself to ever "self-adjust" to two different threads. Wouldn't it simply be better to have one thread per team? Or is it generally seen as a non-issue? Not sure if this has been recently dicussed here.

Edited by Topsu, 18 May 2024 - 20:26.

Advertisement

#2 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 64,184 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 18:36

Thanks for creating this Topsu. Interested to hearing any thoughts forum members might have. Especially about what kind of topics they want to talk about how easy it is to find a good discussion.

#3 Beri

Beri

• 12,464 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 18:38

I've been ranting about this before. So my vote is to combine them. Absolutely no sense to have both.

#4 Stephane

Stephane

• 4,829 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 18:39

i don't read either so if the clutter is reuced,i am happy. But that's just me

#5 jonklug

jonklug

• 1,440 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 18:40

Always thought there should be one thread where everything is discussed in relation to a team. I don't really mind the current 2 threads but if I were to choose I'd go for 1 thread for each team as my preference.

Edited by jonklug, 18 May 2024 - 20:24.

#6 pup

pup

• 2,840 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 18:49

Yes, combine them please and waste no time in doing so. 🧐

#7 pup

pup

• 2,840 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 18:56

11df5c56c6ea91f0333aec3315b19571.jpg

#8 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 5,603 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 19:02

One thread. Two threads could make sense, but TBH we forumers (including myself) very often don't respect the duality.

#9 jacdaniel

jacdaniel

• 1,587 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 19:10

One thread for me also.

I often find it would be good to have some more general threads discussing how the season is going etc. There never seems to be just a general chat talk like who will be strongest at next track etc

#10 pdac

pdac

• 17,703 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 19:30

I think they should be kept separate. As much as the technical thread does get sidetracked into what the drivers are up to, the team thread seems to be mostly focused on just the drivers and TP's. Any technical conversation would be swamped, I think, if they were to be combined. Having said that, I'm quite ignorant when it comes to many of the tech details.

#11 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 5,373 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 19:38

One thread for sure seems sensible given how they've evolved.

#12 Deeq

Deeq

• 10,309 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 20:01

I am also one thread partisan..Its too much work i imagine for moderators also to constantly patrol & clean upp the threads.
Win-win..One

#13 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 18,063 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 21:20

Didn't we have this discussion before but the thread was suddenly gone? I'm all for merging them. Too many cross references between team and technical.

#14 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,796 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 21:24

One thread makes much more sense IMHO.

#15 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,723 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 21:49

Keep them separate.

In fact I’d welcome more threads on specific news lines rather than everything being generic.

Sadly many on this forum see starting a new thread as a cardinal sin.

#16 SamH123

SamH123

• 3,071 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 00:44

I liked a head to head driver thread and a 'technical' team thread

#17 Winterapfel

Winterapfel

• 495 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 02:40

Please keep the technical thread!
I'm reading some team threads, but all technical threads! They are so much more factual and interesting!

#18 DW46

DW46

• 2,534 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 08:05

A vote for merge if I may.

#19 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 2,689 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 09:00

No, just NO.  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:

I have no stomach for the driver-v-driver bickering, and will go to some lengths to avoid it.  I will not follow/participate in such threads.  While the present Team/technical split is not perfect, the fact that such bickering permeates the team threads and spills over into the other (technical) simply highlights the consequences of merging.

Advertisement

#20 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 32,648 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 09:28

One thread makes sense for the majority of teams, but two is still necessary for the top teams where there's more partisan interest.

#21 Anja

Anja

• 10,742 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 09:44

Pretty much every time I look into the technical threads there's more general team talk than discussion about the car itself. The overlap is just too big, in practice the divide seems more like "team thread without driver talk" vs "team thread with driver talk". I'd be all for merging the two but I get that some people just want the tech talk so how about one combined technical thread strictly about the cars and general threads for each of the teams? Unless what the technical thread crowd actually wants is just the current "team thread without driver talk". 

Edited by Anja, 19 May 2024 - 09:45.

#22 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 32,648 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 09:47

I would think about Ferrari next year, and the likely tension between tifosi and the influx of new faces more interested in seeing Hamilton do well. Two threads will be a must if the car is competitive.

#23 P123

P123

• 24,556 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 09:58

I think most are interested in technical topics, at least outside the top teams.  The team topics tend to be a bit more driver vs driver, and that would drown out talk of the car.

#24 Ruusperi

Ruusperi

• 3,483 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 10:25

No, just NO.  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:  :down:

I have no stomach for the driver-v-driver bickering, and will go to some lengths to avoid it

I don't see it as a problem anymore. Everyone have grown civilized enough to not bicker. Good ol' flame wars are all past history.

Just merge them, for simplicity's sake.

#25 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 48,719 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 10:26

I would think about Ferrari next year, and the likely tension between tifosi and the influx of new faces more interested in seeing Hamilton do well. Two threads will be a must if the car is competitive.

Or twice the trouble.

#26 Cliff

Cliff

• 2,188 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 10:50

Maybe having separate threads for Lewis and Charles is a good idea 😇

#27 SilverArrow31

SilverArrow31

• 5,462 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 14:44

I think if we combine them the technical discussion will be drowned out by the poltics and debating.

Edited by SilverArrow31, 19 May 2024 - 14:45.

#28 MaxisOne

MaxisOne

• 2,363 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 14:46

Separate threads please .. The team threads seem to invite the intra team tribalism that i have absolutely no interest in.

I want to to know about the performance of the car and what innovations and upgrades are being developed and brought to the car. The my driver is better than yours bs and what the team principals have been bickering about i can do without.

Edited by MaxisOne, 19 May 2024 - 14:48.

#29 kralizec

kralizec

• 97 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 15:20

I voted to merge them, but I understand that for bigger teams (i.e. teams that have more followers, and thus get more posts) it makes sense to keep them separate.

Is it really necessary to have a single rule for all teams? Would it be an option to split them for the bigger teams, and keep them together otherwise, unless and until there is eventually a need to split?

We could use the current number of posts as a first indicator of whether two threads are merited or not.

#30 cbo

cbo

• 878 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 15:37

I vote to keep the two threads separate, hoping and praying that people respect the difference.

They won't, I guess, but merging the two threads is basically giving up and letting the Liberty-Netflix-team/driver-fanboy-culture take over....

#31 SparkPlug86

SparkPlug86

• 2,077 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 15:42

Separate... technical threads tend to have less in fighting and sensible conversation. The day it gets combined, is the day I hang up my username on the forums. 

#32 danmills

danmills

• 3,347 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 15:47

Definitely keep two IMO.

There are some posters here that write absolute monstrous essays. The requoting and multiple conversations in just the team threads are hard enough to follow at times.

Thinking ahead to next year, I can see a merged Ferrari thread snowballing into disaster very quickly.

Edited by danmills, 19 May 2024 - 15:47.

#33 DW46

DW46

• 2,534 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 15:53

I mean we could all just commit to play nice . . .

#34 JBJ

JBJ

• 1,235 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 15:58

One thread to rule them all

#35 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 48,719 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 16:13

While the poll can only capture the overall opinion, would those contributing to the thread please state which team threads they tend to frequent? We’ll happily consider a team by team basis if it serves the overall forum experience better.

#36 chrcol

chrcol

• 3,761 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 16:44

Combine them, I have a few times posted in one realising after my post might get moderated, sometimes the post I make covers both discussions as well.

However I dont feel strongly about it, and would be ok with it staying as is as well.

Edited by chrcol, 19 May 2024 - 16:45.

#37 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 2,178 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 21:07

The less F1 threads the better.......there's far too many nonsense threads discussing nothing.

#38 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 2,689 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 21:55

While the poll can only capture the overall opinion, would those contributing to the thread please state which team threads they tend to frequent? We’ll happily consider a team by team basis if it serves the overall forum experience better.

So modify the poll?!

I only follow the teams with the wisdom to employ Aussie drivers, including honorary Aussies (AKA Kiwis), so I move around.  I'd be curious to know how many do the same, for similar or other reasons.

I think the answer to this question is  'meh, it's too hard/confusing//unworkable'.

#39 naiboz

naiboz

• 485 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 22:23

If only there was a technical forum

* shakes fist at sky

Advertisement

#40 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 6,053 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 22:29

Two threads with largely the same content despite the title, so rather have single one for continuity.

Edited by Quickshifter, 19 May 2024 - 22:29.

#41 balmybaldwin

balmybaldwin

• 2,200 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 22:32

I like 2 threads, it helps avoid the unecessary driver fan bickering.

If we want a change Could we have a driver thread for each driver and a team thread for each team?

#42 ANF

ANF

• 31,557 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 23:19

How about having ten separate team threads and one common technical thread for This Year's F1 Cars?

#43 pup

pup

• 2,840 posts

Posted 20 May 2024 - 00:17

I think one of the issues with having separate technical threads is that there really doesn’t seem to be a ton of actual technical talk these days. I remember when the threads were full of lengthy discussions trying to understand various aero developments and such, whereas now they sort of get noted but that’s all. Even at F1technical, the car tech threads seem to be mostly cobwebs other than a few photos each week.

Most of the actual technical talk seems to be among small groups on discord.

#44 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 48,719 posts

Posted 20 May 2024 - 08:28

How about having ten separate team threads and one common technical thread for This Year's F1 Cars?

I think given the actual amount of technical talk lately, as pup says, it would make sense to just subsume the chat into the team threads.

We have a whole technical forum that people hardly make use of. I just don’t think there’s much need to separate out the technical chat.

#45 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 18,063 posts

Posted 20 May 2024 - 08:34

I think one of the issues with having separate technical threads is that there really doesn’t seem to be a ton of actual technical talk these days. I remember when the threads were full of lengthy discussions trying to understand various aero developments and such, whereas now they sort of get noted but that’s all. Even at F1technical, the car tech threads seem to be mostly cobwebs other than a few photos each week.

Most of the actual technical talk seems to be among small groups on discord.

Most of the tech these days is frozen in the regulations and after the start of the seasons it is mostly a new floor edge or changed winglets. Not that interesting.

#46 SparkPlug86

SparkPlug86

• 2,077 posts

Posted 20 May 2024 - 11:08

McLaren team and technical... technical tends to be more focused around the car, race performance, upgrades and post race analysis - usually very well mannered and enjoyable.

Team thread, tends to include driver bickering and sponsor news... plus the odd team member movement. 

#47 TheAviator

TheAviator

• 3,012 posts

Posted 20 May 2024 - 11:32

YES!

#48 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,220 posts

Posted 20 May 2024 - 12:13

Separate.

I hate the my favourite driver is better than your favourite driver discussion that permeates the team threads, I'll have a look at the team threads for teams that interest me but tend to skim read, the technical threads I read more and will only skim if someone starts talking about driver comparisons.

#49 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 48,719 posts

Posted 22 May 2024 - 10:46

Just popped into the McLaren technical thread. Majority of the discussion was either on drivers (should be in the team thread), skating Pirelli (we have threads for that), and live commentary (build up or race thread).

Very little was actually technical talk about the car.

#50 danmills

danmills

• 3,347 posts

Posted 22 May 2024 - 10:53

Of all the seasons to change, next year is not it.

Are we all really overlooking the Ferrari situation?

Remember historically why we made separate threads and banned driver vs drive threads and set it out neatly etc. The tech threads are sensible,  calm,  informative. The team threads are chaos. Respectfully,  keep them separate,  like cats and dogs.

One merged thread is literally an open invitation for trouble of mixed types.

How messy is it to read threads where three guys are nicely debating the Imola aero upgrades; interlaced every four posts by people slating the livery; theres another solo user writing essays on upcoming drivers that have just left the womb that might be on the team radar in 18 years; two users fighting which driver had the better setup; a user reminiscing of a summer in 68 when he visited watkins glen ; another eight users requoting and quoting already quoted posts that require a time zonal change and passport for the amount of travel covered just to scroll to the bottom of the page... and one solitary user on his own is ranting about Lewis' new outfit.

That's page 1.

Edited by danmills, 22 May 2024 - 10:58.