Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Whose F1 career could be made into a great movie?

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#1 sanat

sanat

• 106 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 19:57

For a character to be interesting there should be the following about him:

- complexity and depth 

- growth/character arc/learning/change/obstacles

- flaws/weaknesses/quirks

- charisma, obviously.

Based on these criteria my nominations are:

- Alonso. Alonso's grade-A assholery and ambition often lead to turbulent relationships and burnt bridges with many people in the paddock. Despite his contentious nature, Alonso's brilliance on the track and his determination make him a captivating figure. His journey is a dramatic tale of triumph and conflict. The only thing missing is some form of redemption at the end of his career, but who knows, maybe he will bring Aston Martin to victory?

- Jean Todt. Again, a complex character, but whose story could be even more relatable than Alonso’s. Facing intense pressure, political intrigue, and fierce competition, Todt's leadership transforms Ferrari. After years of near misses and relentless effort, the climax arrives at Suzuka in 2000. Ferrari, led by Todt and driven by Michael Schumacher, finally secures the World Title, ending a 21-year drought. This victory cements Todt’s legacy as a pivotal figure in Ferrari’s and Formula One’s history.

Alessandro Zanardi. His career could be made into a tale of perseverance, transformation, and triumph, a story of a man who refused to be defined by his limitations. A story of outstanding victories and heartbreaking defeats, testing his resilience and passion.

Edited by sanat, 19 May 2024 - 18:07.

Advertisement

#2 P123

P123

• 24,891 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 20:25

In terms of motorsport career, and what came after, then definitely Alex Zanardi.

#3 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,955 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 20:34

Zanardi, yes, but not so much his actual F1 career.

Edited by PlatenGlass, 18 May 2024 - 20:34.

#4 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,916 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 20:48

Markus Winkelhock.

Joined the worst team on the grid, slowest in all sessions, then suddenly led his first F1 race by a couple dozen seconds, then eaten alive on the circuit by faster cars after the restart, got a mechanical DNF a few laps later and never drove in F1 again.

Son of another ex F1 driver.

Has a bigger % of laps led to laps raced than Verstappen or Hamilton and all that achieved in a car that's never qualified higher than 19th and never finished higher than 13th apart from high attrition heavy rain race in Japan..

I think this is pretty fascinating for such an obscure career.

#5 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 65,451 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 20:54

I would enjoy something light and fun about Jordan's first year in F1 and life at the unglamorous end of the F1 pits generally. Find it hard to believe Eddie hasn't tried to pitch this.

#6 sanat

sanat

• 106 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 20:55

Markus Winkelhock.

Joined the worst team on the grid, slowest in all sessions, then suddenly led his first F1 race by a couple dozen seconds, then eaten alive on the circuit by faster cars after the restart, got a mechanical DNF a few laps later and never drove in F1 again.

Son of another ex F1 driver.

Has a bigger % of laps led to laps raced than Verstappen or Hamilton and all that achieved in a car that's never qualified higher than 19th and never finished higher than 13th apart from high attrition heavy rain race in Japan..

I think this is pretty fascinating for such an obscure career.

This may very well be true, but there is zero character development arc in here, there is no journey, no obstacles, no moral dilemmas, literally nothing that is required in classical dramaturgy.

#7 Frood

Frood

• 10,723 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 20:56

Taki Inoue.

#8 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,767 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 20:59

Taki Inoue.

Why not Sato ?

Always wanted to say that. Thanks.

#9 Grippy

Grippy

• 523 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 21:00

In terms of motorsport career, and what came after, then definitely Alex Zanardi.

This image from 2018 always stuck with me;

180730141750686_Alex-Zanardi-action.jpg?

from https://www.paralymp...ds-italian-team

Edited by Grippy, 18 May 2024 - 21:01.

#10 Frood

Frood

• 10,723 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 21:01

Why not Sato ?

Always wanted to say that. Thanks.

You can't make a movie where the main character is the embodiment of constant perfection

#11 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,734 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 21:02

For a character to be interesting there should be the following about him:

- complexity and depth 

- growth/character arc/learning/change/obstacles

- flaws/weaknesses/quirks

- charisma, obviously.

Ron Dennis would be ideal, because in addition to the above qualities he's viewed differently by different people, and has been involved in conflict - always a key element of any drama.

#12 ensign14

ensign14

• 63,473 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 21:07

Wimille, obviously.

#13 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 5,830 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 21:40

Sir Jackie Stewart.

Dyslexic guy dropped out from school at a young age, finds himself as a shooter, but he is not selected for the 1960 British Olympic team, which is a great disappointment for him.

After getting his driving licence, he tries as an amateur racer (his elder brother was a racing driver at national level) and little by little, he climbs up the stair to Grand Prix racing. He wins his first Formula 1 GP in 1965, but is overshadowed by fellow Scotsman Jim Clark. Unfortunately, Clark dies in 1968, which puts Stewart at the front of British racing scene along Graham Hill.

In 1966, Stewart suffers a huge crash at Spa, where he realizes how incredibly ill-suited the sport is in terms of safety and medical attention. From that moment on, he starts a tireless campaign for safety in the sport, which (in his own words) won't gain him any popularity contest. In fact, he is criticised even among his pairs (e.g. Jacky Ickx) for trying to remove the romantic side of the sport. His position in favour of safety is reinforced by his driving: in 1968, he wins an epic German GP at the Nürburgring under monsoon conditions, four minutes ahead of Graham Hill. Stewart proves that, even if some organisers try to depict him as a "sissy" for his campaign pro safety, he can be as quick (or even quicker) as anyone come Sunday.

Also in 1968, he signs for an obscure new French team called Matra, which is managed by a certain Ken Tyrrell, with whom he will establish a life-long relationship. The team surprises everyone by winning both Championships in 1969. For 1970, there is a disagreement with Matra and Tyrrell himself starts his own team in a barn (literally). The new small team wins again both Championships in 1971.

Meanwhile, Stewart's campaign for safety starts yielding results: some safety features (like safety belts, deformable tanks, anti-roll bars) become mandatory and some tracks like Spa, Nurburgring or Zandvoort are banned or have to undertake safety improvements. At the end of Stewart's period, we'll see the first safety car at an F1 race.

After a forgettable 1972, Stewart is again sacred World Champion in 1973, the year he planned to retire. However, in an incredible turn of destiny after all his quest for safety, his friend, team mate and protégé François Cevert is killed in a horrific accident at practice of what would have been Stewart's last an 100th F1 race.

#14 Yamamoto

Yamamoto

• 2,085 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 21:44

Sir Jackie Stewart.

Dyslexic guy dropped out from school at a young age, finds himself as a shooter, but he is not selected for the 1960 British Olympic team, which is a great disappointment for him.

After getting his driving licence, he tries as an amateur racer (his elder brother was a racing driver at national level) and little by little, he climbs up the stair to Grand Prix racing. He wins his first Formula 1 GP in 1965, but is overshadowed by fellow Scotsman Jim Clark. Unfortunately, Clark dies in 1968, which puts Stewart at the front of British racing scene along Graham Hill.

In 1966, Stewart suffers a huge crash at Spa, where he realizes how incredibly ill-suited the sport is in terms of safety and medical attention. From that moment on, he starts a tireless campaign for safety in the sport, which (in his own words) won't gain him any popularity contest. In fact, he is criticised even among his pairs (e.g. Jacky Ickx) for trying to remove the romantic side of the sport. His position in favour of safety is reinforced by his driving: in 1968, he wins an epic German GP at the Nürburgring under monsoon conditions, four minutes ahead of Graham Hill. Stewart proves that, even if some organisers try to depict him as a "sissy" for his campaign pro safety, he can be as quick (or even quicker) as anyone come Sunday.

Also in 1968, he signs for an obscure new French team called Matra, which is managed by a certain Ken Tyrrell, with whom he will establish a life-long relationship. The team surprises everyone by winning both Championships in 1969. For 1970, there is a disagreement with Matra and Tyrrell himself starts his own team in a barn (literally). The new small team wins again both Championships in 1971.

Meanwhile, Stewart's campaign for safety starts yielding results: some safety features (like safety belts, deformable tanks, anti-roll bars) become mandatory and some tracks like Spa, Nurburgring or Zandvoort are banned or have to undertake safety improvements. At the end of Stewart's period, we'll see the first safety car at an F1 race.

After a forgettable 1972, Stewart is again sacred World Champion in 1973, the year he planned to retire. However, in an incredible turn of destiny after all his quest for safety, his friend, team mate and protégé François Cevert is killed in a horrific accident at practice of what would have been Stewart's last an 100th F1 race.

Great post. Was the first one who came to mind for me too.

#15 Nathan

Nathan

• 8,317 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 21:48

Frank Williams

Underdog -> success -> tragedy -> success.

#16 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 23,069 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 21:49

Roberto Moreno.

The film would use artistic licence to justify Japan 1990 being the last act of the film, however.

#17 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 8,215 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 21:58

Wimille, obviously.

Especially if a clever script could mix his resistance days in La Guerre with his racing.

#18 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 5,002 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 22:12

Michael Schumacher.

#19 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 9,422 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 22:13

Alonso

Hakkinen

Raikkonen

Edited by SCUDmissile, 18 May 2024 - 22:14.

Advertisement

#20 F1Frog

F1Frog

• 842 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 22:24

Pretty much all of the great drivers have fascinating stories behind them. I think Ayrton Senna is the most interesting character but it is difficult to get the full story into a movie. A Tazio Nuvolari film would also be excellent and perhaps more achievably good.

#21 Alan Lewis

Alan Lewis

• 1,087 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 22:28

Colin Chapman.

#22 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,500 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 22:30

Taki Inoue.

EY4RvoBWAAIROKU.jpg

#23 MKSixer

MKSixer

• 3,640 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 22:34

Sir Lewis Hamilton

Graham Hill

Jacky Ickx

#24 karl100589

karl100589

• 350 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 00:11

Pre F1, but I’ve always thought Helle Nice’s story would be an amazing film.

Worked as a model and burlesque dancer where she wooed the rich and famous of France.

Switched to motor racing after an accident ended her skiing career.

Became one of the world’s most famous racers in a time when attitudes towards women were still at a low.

Saw her career ended when she was accused of being a Gestapo Spy.

#25 AncientLurker

AncientLurker

• 962 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 04:27

Bernie?

#26 Collombin

Collombin

• 9,205 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 04:58

Farina, Rindt and Hawthorn come to mind for me - though it would be very possible to make bad movies about them too.

#27 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 5,636 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 06:07

Zanardi for sure. (How is he these days? We've not heard much since his cycling accident?).

I think a film on Schumacher's early Ferrari years (1996-2000) could be written quite well for a general audience - Ferrari desperate for a world title so hire a German bad boy from Benetton. First year is frustrating but he still has moments of brilliance. Then 1997 is looking good, only for his dark side to reappear in Jerez. 1998 is the rise of McLaren, then the broken leg in 1999. The climax is the epic race at Suzuka in 2000. Redemption.

#28 ensign14

ensign14

• 63,473 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 07:24

Many of these are motor racing films.

None of them has the wider human interest for a great film.  You have to have something of much wider import.  You can get the human interest in Zanardi or the Second World War in a few.  

The other one with human interest is Mike Hawthorn.  Battling nephritis as well as Moss for the world title.

#29 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 9,016 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 07:37

‘Still we rise’ the movie anyone? About a knight of the realm who dabbles in motorsport on the side

#30 DW46

DW46

• 2,999 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 08:34

Keke Rosberg

#31 noriaki

noriaki

• 2,083 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 08:50

Film is a format of media restricted by its length and any motor racing film should not even try to "properly" cover more than 1 or 2 seasons tops. Hence, for example, a Michael Schumacher film would be a terrible idea - it would have no time to even start to cover most of the stuff that happened. Even moreso for any team principal with a 30+ year career. A Lewis film has written itself in real life but it would have to end in 2008 already. 

---

Hence, I'd pitch the story of Mike Earle somehow bringing his Onyx team to the grid in 1989 and eventually scoring the podium. Such a film, obviously featuring one Jean-Pierre van Rossem in a prominent role, could not be a poor film. 

#32 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 9,016 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 08:59

Brawn GP the movie…

#33 DW46

DW46

• 2,999 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 09:03

Brawn GP the movie…

Just read Buttons autobiography, it’s a lovely read, well written, interesting anecdotes etc but he’s such a spoiled little rich boy that it’s hard to see him as the hero in his own story. - in his defence he seems to acknowledge this himself.

Edited by DW46, 19 May 2024 - 09:04.

#34 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,884 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 09:15

Pre F1 but Rosemeyer and Caracciola and their wives

#35 Anja

Anja

• 11,020 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 09:25

Brawn GP the movie…

The recent documentary was excellent, no movie can top that.

And that's my problem with this thread in general. With any of the stories that can be mentioned here, I'd rather watch a well done in-depth documentary than a hollywood blockbuster. I never understood these "this will make for a great movie" voices. As a fan of the sport I want to get more insight into the real story, not a flashy dumbed down version of it that will inevitably frustrate me with omissions, simplifications, and fictionalizations. 

Edited by Anja, 19 May 2024 - 09:28.

#36 H0R

H0R

• 4,415 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 09:31

Cevert  or Rindt.

#37 P123

P123

• 24,891 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 09:35

The recent documentary was excellent, no movie can top that.

And that's my problem with this thread in general. With any of the stories that can be mentioned here, I'd rather watch a well done in-depth documentary than a hollywood blockbuster. I never understood these "this will make for a great movie" voices. As a fan of the sport I want to get more insight into the real story, not a flashy dumbed down version of it that will inevitably frustrate me with omissions, simplifications, and fictionalizations. 

Agreed, I think a lot of these suggestions would be superb as documentaries.

Damon Hill would be another candidate (incidentally, excellent interview with him on the Autosport website).

#38 motorhead

motorhead

• 1,586 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 10:45

Not an F1 career, but I just watched 6 episode drama series of Jarno Saarinen, highly recommended when it is available in your area. 

#39 Nobody

Nobody

• 3,368 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 10:53

Gilles story has everything, rags to riches, charisma, bravado, friendship, love, betrayal, tragedy and regret.

Advertisement

#40 TauriJ

TauriJ

• 4,553 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 12:06

Michael Schumacher.

yup, it has to be Schumi. So much controversy

#41 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 38,708 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 12:30

Hunt & Lauda, McLaren & Ferrari, England & Italy.... It has it all.... ohh wait.

#42 TheFish

TheFish

• 7,267 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 12:34

Damon, the first son of a WDC to win one himself, along with all the tragedy that went along with it, coping with Senna's death in the same car and going into that Japanese GP knowing that this is his last chance to become a Champion.

Sure, he wasn't as good as Schumacher or others, but he was incredibly tough and dealt with a huge amount in his life.

#43 Ruusperi

Ruusperi

• 3,756 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 12:39

Cynically, Hollywood needs big drama, so someone who died in an accident. Stefan Bellof or Elio de Angelis maybe? Or too young like Colin McRae or Richard Burns?

#44 Ferrim

Ferrim

• 1,429 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 12:45

Ron Dennis would be ideal, because in addition to the above qualities he's viewed differently by different people, and has been involved in conflict - always a key element of any drama.

I've been longing for years for his autobiography, but he doesn't seem to be interested.

#45 Collombin

Collombin

• 9,205 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 12:51

Hunt & Lauda, McLaren & Ferrari, England & Italy.... It has it all.... ohh wait.

And by far my favourite bit of that film is not racing related, but the entirely fictitious few minutes after Niki first meets Marlene.

#46 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 38,708 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 14:54

And by far my favourite bit of that film is not racing related, but the entirely fictitious few minutes after Niki first meets Marlene.

The proper way to make a sports movie, is not making the prime story the sport, I can recommend the Football Movie "Rudy" for that, have nothing to do with College Football, and all with the dream and quixotic quest towards achieving that dream of playing college football against all odds.

#47 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,755 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 15:33

Moseley

#48 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,734 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 16:21

I've been longing for years for his autobiography, but he doesn't seem to be interested.

I've a feeling Ron Dennis once said he wouldn't write one, but there is an absolutely brilliant podcast with him... somewhere on the web. It might be this one, but I'm not certain, so apologies if you waste 1 hour 51 minutes and 21 seconds:

#49 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,955 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 16:29

Just watched and that's the awful one. That's 1 hour 51 minutes and 21 seconds of my life I'm not getting back.

#50 DS27

DS27

• 4,815 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 16:32

Tommy Byrne film produced by Guy Ritchie