Photo

1981 Concorde Agreement

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 FlyingSaucer

FlyingSaucer

• 133 posts

Posted 12 June 2024 - 14:50

Does anyone know where to find a copy of this document, in PDF? Tbh, my question should be, this document was ever made public?

I found the 1997 version of the agreement online, but I was looking for the first and original version of it. 

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 42,736 posts

Posted 12 June 2024 - 16:12

According to Mattijs Diepraam's analysis:

... it was decided not to disclose the precise contents of the Concorde Agreement ...

So, implicitly, it was never published.

#3 FlyingSaucer

FlyingSaucer

• 133 posts

Posted 12 June 2024 - 16:28

According to Mattijs Diepraam's analysis:

So, implicitly, it was never published.

Well, I feel embarrassed now. I constantly publish articles with Mattijs and Forix, and I never read this article kkkkkkk. 

So, no one outside the F1 circus knows exactly what is written in any of these agreements, besides the general lines? 

Damn, so, if this copy of the 97 agreement I have is real, I got something that is good starting point for what I'm looking for (the relation between teams, manufacturers and the F.I.A., regarding private-entries and third-parties in F1 races)

WikiLeaks, here we go  :stoned:

Edited by FlyingSaucer, 12 June 2024 - 16:30.

#4 NCB619

NCB619

• 184 posts

Posted 13 June 2024 - 01:14

Well, I feel embarrassed now. I constantly publish articles with Mattijs and Forix, and I never read this article kkkkkkk. 

So, no one outside the F1 circus knows exactly what is written in any of these agreements, besides the general lines? 

Damn, so, if this copy of the 97 agreement I have is real, I got something that is good starting point for what I'm looking for (the relation between teams, manufacturers and the F.I.A., regarding private-entries and third-parties in F1 races)

WikiLeaks, here we go  :stoned:

Yes, that's about the only one that's out in public.

Years ago at uni, was doing a presentation/report on Sports Governance and funding, and was assigned Formula 1, so that document was a big, big help

#5 Kvadrat

Kvadrat

• 983 posts

Posted 13 June 2024 - 08:35

As far as I know the first Concorde Agreement was created in 1982. 1981 was Formula One series birth year. It was created by FIA to make all FOCA contracts with organizers and TV companies non-valid. It took a year in this new state of championship to figure out different scheme of taking as much money out of racing as possible.

#6 FlyingSaucer

FlyingSaucer

• 133 posts

Posted 14 June 2024 - 17:15

As far as I know the first Concorde Agreement was created in 1982. 1981 was Formula One series birth year. It was created by FIA to make all FOCA contracts with organizers and TV companies non-valid. It took a year in this new state of championship to figure out different scheme of taking as much money out of racing as possible.

Ye, but for practical terms, it's the 1981 Agreement. If I'm not mistaken, it was signed early in 81, but it would only take effect on 1982 onwards. 

But I understand what u are talking about. I just wish we could get our hands on these documents (at least some of them) - F1 talks a lot about transparency, but the main document that could actually give a meaning to this word is always locked in a secret vault, out of reach. Even the old versions of these Agreements, which never reached anyone outside the restricted circle of F1. 

I read the 1997 version and didn't find it nothing that deserves to be "top secret" - what is in these other documents that is so confidential? Prize values, managers playing with power, shell companies??? C'mon...

#7 DCapps

DCapps

• 939 posts

Posted 16 August 2024 - 20:01

As most probably realize, the original Concorde Agreement was hammered out only when the proverbial fecal matter actually did hit the proverbial fan.

That there was a general lack of trust between the various parties involved was only one of the factors that should be of interest, of course, another would be why the agreement in the first place?

Not to mention the question being posed: What EXACTLY was in the agreement? Why, especially after over 40 years, has the original document not been released?

Should one begin to place the whole FIASCO War in context -- as several have, to varying levels of, ah, critical examination and interpretation (or lack thereof...) -- it is a curious omission from the record.

While much of the 1981 agreement could/can be puzzled out simply (ah!) by being eagle-eyed and attentive to what was done in its aftermath.

As always, when there are fiduciary issues involved -- follow the money.

But, there is also, perhaps, the FOCA itself that provides a hint for the rationale for such a document.

Personally, I sick to death of no end of people making the claim that a certain B.C.E. Ecclestone creating FOCA...

Here is what appeared in Autosport some sixty years ago, 7 February 1964, page 175, in (of course) Pit and Paddock:

FORMULA 1 CONTRUCTORS" ASSOCIATION

The Formula 1 Constructors' Association has been formed, founding members being Brabham, B.R.M., Cooper and Lotus.

It was formed to promote the better interests in the Formula 1 category, and particularly to encourage better understanding of the problems involved between constructors and promoters and organizers throughout the world.

Membership is open to any company or organization from any company fulfilling the following definition of racing car constructor:

(a) A Constructor who builds all of his car completely, or

(b) builds a racing car without using a substantial number of parts from another constructor's products, and further 

© has completed one season of racing with such a product, and

(d) has had his application for membership approved by the individual members of the association.

Secretary of the association is Andrew Ferguson.

Perhaps not coincidenially the F1CA just happened to be formed after the Paris Agreement of 28 November 1963... See: Private Entrant: Racing with Rob Walker (Cassell and Company, 1965), Michael Cooper-Evans, pages181-184--  and several following pages...

Old information, of course, but maybe some food for thought for some re-thinking...