Disasters that changed motorsport

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TerryS

TerryS

• 981 posts

Posted Today, 05:09

for interest

Disasters That Changed The World Of Motorsport (msn.com)

Advertisement

#2 WonderWoman61

WonderWoman61

• 1,936 posts

Posted Today, 08:46

Looks interesting

#3 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,549 posts

Posted Today, 08:48

Advert-filled clickbait

#4 BRG

BRG

• 26,614 posts

Posted Today, 09:54

Advert-filled clickbait

Yes, and anything that shouts "changed the world" is usually garbage.  I saw a Youtube vid about the late Ken Block that claimed he had "changed motorsport".  Nope, he was minor figure on the fringes of the sport who had zero real impact.

Things that genuinely changed our sport were not single big events.  They were changes of direction such as rear mounted engines, wings,  ground effect, gradual safety improvements, excessive budgets, TV coverage and so on.

#5 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 981 posts

Posted Today, 12:16

Bernie Ecclestone.

#6 uechtel

uechtel

• 1,964 posts

Posted Today, 16:58

The only one that comes into my mind that did really change "the world" (in the sense of a radical change and not only some minor improvements to the current format) was the Paris-Madrid race of 1903, which put an end to traditional town-to-town racing. Unfortunately they missed that one out...

#7 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 1,330 posts

Posted Today, 17:37

I'm not sure Niki Lauda's accident really changed anything other than to remove the Nürburgring from the F1 championship? That might be seen as disastrous by some, I suppose. Stewart's first lap accident at Spa in 1966 was more instrumental in bringing about change despite Stewart emerging relatively unscathed.