BTCC 2025

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 WonderWoman61

WonderWoman61

• 1,946 posts

Posted 06 October 2024 - 21:53

Here's the Calendar

1, 2, 3 26/27 April Donington Park (National)
4, 5, 6 10/11 May Brands Hatch (Indy)
7, 8, 9 24/25 May Snetterton (300)
10, 11, 12 07/08 June Thruxton
13, 14, 15 21/22 June Oulton Park (Island)
16, 17, 18 02/03 August Croft
19, 20, 21 16/17 August Knockhill
22, 23, 24 30/31 August Donington Park (GP)
25, 26, 27 20/21 September Silverstone (National)
28, 29, 30 04/05 October Brands Hatch (GP)

Advertisement

#2 Silverstone96

Silverstone96

• 1,165 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:31

If it is last year of current tech regs then I certainly wouldn’t expect any teams to be bringing new cars.

#3 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 50,079 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:55

I hope we get a few more cars next year. The grid looked a bit thin at times this season.

#4 WonderWoman61

WonderWoman61

• 1,946 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:54

Thought the new regs were coming in 2027

#5 Silverstone96

Silverstone96

• 1,165 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:14

Thought the new regs were coming in 2027

You may well be correct! Was looking for some further info on it to be honest.

Napa are in a funny position, they may feel they have taken the focus as far as they can but if there are only 1-2 years left of the current regs it’s hard to see them justifying the expense.

#6 BRG

BRG

• 26,676 posts

Posted Today, 08:54

The old Vauxhall Astra still seems pretty competitive if Brands was anything to go by, and the Focus is a spring chicken in comparison.

Anyway, the nature of BTCC means that the chassis isn't the defining feature.  A MG ZS from two decades ago could probably still be competitive, using the current engine and hybrid system.

#7 Silverstone96

Silverstone96

• 1,165 posts

Posted Today, 08:56

Astra hasn’t won a race for 5 years now, PMR do a great job with what they have to keep it competitive but these cars are still moving on.

Focus was class of field last season but it was never really more than the 3rd best car this year.

#8 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 50,079 posts

Posted Today, 09:07

Yeah I don’t think any of the base model chassis are fundamentally uncompetitive. The Focus looked a lost cause but Motorbase really turned it around in the last couple of years. They just need the right development underneath.

#9 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 9,270 posts

Posted Today, 09:09

I suppose the challenge for any team wanting to build a new car still remains the state of the car market as a whole. Granted, I don't really pay too much attention to it because it's all so bland and uninspiring, but it seems like pretty much everything that is launched these days is an EV, an SUV, or an electric SUV. Is there really that much new metal that a team could choose that would be suitable for NGTC these days? 

Cost aside, that's probably why the same cars appear on the BTCC grid year after year, because there isn't really a great choice to replace them with.  

#10 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 50,079 posts

Posted Today, 09:13

Absolutely right on that front. Though didn’t Gow state that the rules also cater for crossover SUVs? It would just take someone to build one. I think the Ford Puma or Kuga would be entirely suitable for a BTCC car (they’re no bigger than the last generation Fiesta and Focus respectively). Similar with most other manufacturers.

#11 Silverstone96

Silverstone96

• 1,165 posts

Posted Today, 09:13

I never understood why a team didn’t have a crack building an Alfa Romeo Giulia, RWD and similar dimensions to BMW 3 series.

It would have looked great and been a fan favourite, can only assume there’s something in the engine layout that may have been a hinderance with the rules.

Edited by Silverstone96, Today, 10:51.

#12 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,516 posts

Posted Today, 10:49

4GBCI9x.png

This sounds like Adam Morgan won't be returning with WSR.

#13 andysaint

andysaint

• 767 posts

Posted Today, 12:31

4GBCI9x.png

This sounds like Adam Morgan won't be returning with WSR.

Agree looks like it. It’s never really gelled for him and WSR. He does have backing so I hope to see him back in some guise.

The BTCC was short by around 4-6 cars this year. I think 24-26 cars is ideal. The racing did improve with fewer safety cars having some drivers leave.

I don’t particularly hear a lot about plans for next season. Quite a bit seems to happen late on so it will be interesting to see what talks happen early next year.

I do agree re the focus. I think Sutton took that car to places it shouldn’t have been this season.

Will Toyota Gazoo be back? That was a disappointing season for them

The Astra is going to be at the end of its life now will PMR buy another car?

Do WSR have funding to run 3 cars?

I worry for the grid next year, I think it could see fewer cars than this year