Photo

GP3 Drivers wanted!

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#1 Jordan fan

Jordan fan

• 154 posts

Posted 01 July 2001 - 00:47

Are you good at GP3, I mean really good. I'm looking for a driver to join me at my team in a Gp3 hotlap competition, if you are interested then reply here! :D

Advertisement

#2 kodandaram

kodandaram

• 4,378 posts

Posted 01 July 2001 - 04:39

YEah , i am pretty confident i can bruise ur Arse;)
Ok seriuosly waht do u want me to do ?:up:

#3 kodandaram

kodandaram

• 4,378 posts

Posted 01 July 2001 - 04:44

heh what do u want me to do?

#4 kodandaram

kodandaram

• 4,378 posts

Posted 01 July 2001 - 04:47

are u online??:(

#5 Jordan fan

Jordan fan

• 154 posts

Posted 01 July 2001 - 16:48

if u are interested it is an online gp3 competition, theres 6 teams at the mo, for the full rules goto http://www.gpvws.get-2.com cos im not totally sure of them.;)

#6 kodandaram

kodandaram

• 4,378 posts

Posted 02 July 2001 - 03:17

i 'll read the rules but what about the team?

#7 Yelnats

Yelnats

• 2,026 posts

Posted 08 July 2001 - 06:08

If by "really good" you mean 3-4 secs per lap faster than the fastest expert computer cars, I'm not your man. :) But I used to regularlly out qualify the computer cars in GP2 and am interested in testing my talents on my new copy of GP3.

Could you clarify what you mean by "really good" in relation to the times of the fastest computer cars in GP3?

#8 babbel

babbel

• 2,746 posts

Posted 19 July 2001 - 08:21

competition can be quite fun too, I met great people in racing leages and I think racing in a competition will only make you faster because you'll always push to the limit knowing it can gain you a position

#9 babbel

babbel

• 2,746 posts

Posted 19 July 2001 - 17:25

Originally posted by Captain Cook

Ohh I very much agree with you. From my own personal stand-point I just took it a step too far, (ok ok I am a bit obsessive :lol: ) so it just doesn't suit me. It got to the stage (with a GP2 racing league) where I was spending 4 hours at monza trying to get the perfect lap. Not even changing the set-ups. Sad, I know!

4 hours isn't that much really, I spend more time on a lfrs raceweekend (qualifying and a 25% race) every 2 weeks, but it doesn't bother me in the least I race for fun and I just can't quit racing :)

#10 Marcel Schot

Marcel Schot

• 5,459 posts

Posted 20 July 2001 - 06:25

Racing in leagues most definatelly makes you faster, especially if the competition is of the level you encounter in LFRS. I've been racing there for 4 and a half seasons now and over that period my fastest laps in each circuit has dropped from anywhere between 5 and 8 seconds :)

I spend just an hour on getting started on a qualifying setup for the next race. Take base setup, drive a few laps to get to know the circuit again. Little less dampers on the front, few laps. Little less height on the rear, few laps. Combination of both, few laps. Check out performance data, do some analysis on what the limits are in ride height. Change the setup to that, few laps. Find out it's too low, change it again, few more laps. And after an hour, the progress was about 0.7 seconds and I'm still a second behind my last season qualifying time :)

And like babbel said, simracing's just for fun. I've lost that a few times, almost quit twice, but I'm just too addicted.

Captain Cook : in fact, aiming for that perfect time is fun, as long as you keep your own limits in mind. For example, I don't aim to beat babbel. I know I can't do that. Instead, I aim to be within a second or so of his qualifying time. If I can do that, I'm very pleased.

#11 Yelnats

Yelnats

• 2,026 posts

Posted 20 July 2001 - 15:23

I used to compete at the expert level in the LFRS league but found it was becoming less enjoyable as time went by. What I missed was the discussion groups that we enjoy on this BBS with people who are interested in F1 as a sport rather than a video game.

I suggested co-ordinating a racing league with the F1 season and racing on the actual courses a few days the actual races. This would heighten both my interest in the sim racing and the F1 competition a few days later. But I found no competitors in LFRS expressed interest in this scenario and recieved a very negative reply from the site managers (apparently they considered me somewaht of a traitor!) So my interest drifted away from LFRS into the Atlas BBS (I had only time for one such time sink).

But with my purchase of a computer that can run GP3 at a decent resolution I find I am back at the wheel again and the old dream is rekindled!

Marcel Schot, If my memory serves me correctly were one of the hot competitiors is the LFRS? I was strictly mid pack at the Ace level.

Running the standard 1998 carset I am turning laps in the low 1:40s in qualifying trim and wonder if any one else is interested in comparing results , exchanging hot laps ect in sycronisation with the F1 season? I will open a topic in the Atlas Sim forum to poll the Atlas F1 members about this possibility

#12 Marcel Schot

Marcel Schot

• 5,459 posts

Posted 20 July 2001 - 17:03

Originally posted by Yelnats
Marcel Schot, If my memory serves me correctly were one of the hot competitiors is the LFRS? I was strictly mid pack at the Ace level.

heheh, You're confusing me with babbel (= Marcel Borsboom = LFRS 2001 GP2 Class D champion). I'm merely a midfield competitor. I usually finish between 8 and 11 this season, with a field of about 25 to 30 drivers.

I recall you were quite a bit faster than me when we did a gp2 hotlap competition on this forum a few years back.

#13 Yelnats

Yelnats

• 2,026 posts

Posted 24 July 2001 - 15:21

Thanks Marcel Schot... Anyway as I mentioned above I am interested in setting a Hot Lap qualifying fun lgroup run by true F1 fans such as we have here. The purpose would be to familiarise ourselves with the upcoming races and discuss our problem driving areas to see if we can develop better setups/driving styles.

My best time so far is 1:42.8 at Hochenheim set in qualifying trim with the original carsets in GP3. ANyone else interested in getting involved can joint this discussion elswise I will just babble on here. :)

My toughest parts of Hockenheim is the infield where I seem to get lost just as approach the last turn before the start finish straight. I know I am not on the limit by the sounds of the tire squeals but if I try to pick it up I inevidebly run wide as I enter the straight.

The other areas are the approaches to the two fastest corners on the track, the first being at the end of the start straight and the second being the 3rd gear right before entering the twisty infield section. I cannot get a setup that nails the car to the road like I could in GP2 an know I could get throught these turns faster if I could get my turnin precisly so I could hit the throttle with some confidence.

I am running 3 rearwing and 9 front with the springs set to maximum hardness to keep the chassis from drging on the straight maybe I should go for a softer setup and a higher ride height.

Also I am having a problem with my wheel that has really prevented me from developing any confidence. It has begun to twitch to the left and the funny thing is is seems to happen only on the long straights (just before the hairpin turns is the favourite place)! I have tried electronic cleaners and they do very little. I wonder if the pot is skipping off the potentiometer in these areas?

#14 Marcel Schot

Marcel Schot

• 5,459 posts

Posted 26 July 2001 - 05:17

Maybe next week :) I've got an LFRS GP2 season to finish this week. After that I'll be concentrating to move my level in gp3 from "total crap" to "not total crap, but still 80% crap" :lol:

#15 Gemini

Gemini

• 3,824 posts

Posted 26 July 2001 - 10:31

I would be happy to join, however we have to standarize the carset we use. Of course the easiest option is the original one. Now I use the carset from Ralph Hummerich, with updated phisics (it simulates tyre grip of 2001 that is much, much better than in 1998). So far I really enjoy this set: in Nurburgring and France pole position times at Ace level where withing 0.1 sec of the real ones.

I also find the game with this updated physics more enjoyable to play. With the setups I use the car is much easier to control when oversteering, a lot of fun.

All I said above might be purely academic as the official upgrade (GP3 2000 Season) due in shops in August.

#16 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 26 July 2001 - 12:41

I'd be interested in joining in a hotlap-challenge type compo.

I'd suggest using the original game (i.e. no add-ons) for now, at least until the trackpack comes out.

I'll have a go tonight and see what happens (Hockenheim here I come).

#17 Gemini

Gemini

• 3,824 posts

Posted 26 July 2001 - 15:24

That's fine by me. I will reinstall the game in different HD to make sure I have pure original settings. Let's drive Hockenheim to see were we are.

#18 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 27 July 2001 - 08:29

Best time at Hockenheim -> 1:40.893

Front wing 11
Rear wing 4

It took me about an hour and a half to work from the default setup to my qualifying setup.(about 40 laps)

Top speed 209mph

#19 kodandaram

kodandaram

• 4,378 posts

Posted 27 July 2001 - 10:32

What the heck are u doing guys - running such high wings ? my best time at hockenheinm is a 1.38.007 s :confused:
WTF is all this fr wing 11 and rr wing 4 - put it down to 2 on fr and 3on rr - by the way i just took pole in a BAR 0.450s ahead of RB with OP (hotseat mode) p2 just 0.117s behind me - talk about consistency !:up:

Advertisement

#20 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 27 July 2001 - 10:40

I didn't think that BAR were in the original game.
Have you patched the graphics and names?

#21 kodandaram

kodandaram

• 4,378 posts

Posted 27 July 2001 - 10:50

yeah i got it , i just installed the original game and straight away set a 1.41.560s lap using the williams mecachrome - i will tell ya soon more:up:
The other lap i posted was with humerichs set and all updated latest stuff on it !

#22 kodandaram

kodandaram

• 4,378 posts

Posted 27 July 2001 - 10:53

hrh yelnats reduve ur fr wing to 3 and rr wing to 4 - u get exit understeer but it is better than oversteer into the fast corners breaking the straights - allow suspension to default values

#23 Yelnats

Yelnats

• 2,026 posts

Posted 27 July 2001 - 13:15

kodandaram..... Thanks, will try less wing on front, maybe it will cure my oversteer in the infield also as any backing off the throttle in the approach to the last curve before the start/finish results in sideways stuff which is very confusing in that broad expanse of asphalt!

#24 Yelnats

Yelnats

• 2,026 posts

Posted 27 July 2001 - 14:30

As for carsets perhaps we should continue with the origonal set, If thats OK as we are only doing this for entertainment. Perhaps we could settle on a carset for the 2002 season later if this group flys.:)

#25 Gemini

Gemini

• 3,824 posts

Posted 27 July 2001 - 15:31

Yesterday I tried both, carset with 2001 physics and original one.
I am doing times similar to what kodandaram did: 1,38,4xx and 1,41,7xx respectively.

My setup incorporates 2 on both fw and rw. I drive with relatively soft suspension as I like to use the kerbs on chicanes. The most tricky part in making setup was finding the right brake balance

I have to say that this track gets boring when driving a lot of laps...

#26 Yelnats

Yelnats

• 2,026 posts

Posted 27 July 2001 - 17:29

I've taken kodandaram's suggestion (Thanks) ... and used lower front downforce which has allowed me to shave .4 secs off (now 1.42.2 with 1998 sets) and I am much more consistant. I know I have at least another second in me whereas with my former setup 11 f 3 r and hard suspension my fast lap was a bit of a freak and I never came near it again.

The new (4 f 3 r) setup allows me to control the car at the limit and I have beaten my old time numerous times. Curb riding is very important at Hockenhiem and the softer suspension allows better control in that area.

Gemini I am using 40/60 brake setup, are we close?

I'll keep on trying :)

#27 kodandaram

kodandaram

• 4,378 posts

Posted 28 July 2001 - 13:45

Well i haven't altered the suspensions in the original game .I only changed the wings - but yeterday was a really bad session.
I tried to adjust the suspensions as i used to spin out in mikas McLaren as soon as i touched or kissed the kerbs on the exit(on the inside i.e. right side ) of the second chicane of the lap.
Foolishly enough i forget to save the default settings and am now ****ing around in the low 1.42's after working my arse off for 3hours . Ihope to do some work tonight . And to get the max outta the brakes keep them biased to the rear by an extra value of ten!
My topspeed thus far has been 211 - 214 mph depending upon the exit i get at the first corner and the line i hold along the first straight. I will try to break 216 tonight and will also send ou guys a copy of the hotlop in hofxlap format and Performance reviewer format (download from archives of grandprix3.com) . See ya later!

#28 kodandaram

kodandaram

• 4,378 posts

Posted 30 July 2001 - 05:34

I finally did a 1.41.003 lap and hope to better it soon !

#29 Erd

Erd

• 94 posts

Posted 30 July 2001 - 17:10

Hi there Paul mate, I have now shut down my old league......so if your interested join the vf1wl www.f1williams.f2s.com/vf1wl

#30 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 31 July 2001 - 08:03

1:40.303

#31 kodandaram

kodandaram

• 4,378 posts

Posted 31 July 2001 - 09:45

Fuking **** man , the best i got after 219 laps is only a 1.40.706 and somebody gets a 1.40.303 - thiss is hard work !:cry:

#32 confucius

confucius

• 2,568 posts

Posted 31 July 2001 - 10:13

I'm just wondering how u guys configure your games when u set these laps. By that I mean do u guys turn all aids off, use wheel, on Ace competition etc?

I'm a wuss and haven't gotten the hang of manual (but then again the pros use auto too ;) ) and I use throttle help just cos its one less thing I have to think about when driving - just floor it and go.

My best time with Fernando Alonso on practice mode at Hockenheim was just about a 1:40:6s. I run 2degFW and 1degRW and get about 349kmh without a tow. Highest I've ever gotten was 367kmh with a tow. The car handles really well with this setup, with just the amount of oversteer I like. On Ace level I actually outqualified the 2nd and 3rd placed Benettons (go figure) by almost 1s.

By the way, I'm using a patched carset but I haven't changed any physics, although I am using an updated track with a more cambered 2nd chicane (my favourite part of the track). I use A LOT of kerb around the track...u kinda have to if u wanna be quick.

#33 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 31 July 2001 - 12:30

confucius,

I don't use any of the aids, I use the gears to judge my speed around corners so autogears messes this up, steering help doesn't let you choose your own line and the TC like aid doesn't (seem) to accelerate as quickly as non-TC.

Do we have a deadline for times for Hockenheim? It's not that I'm not enjoying it, it's just that the track is a little boring and I've made a start on Hungary (1:15.358 with maximum downforce).

Also, just out of interest, who do you race as? The car and driver you choose don't make any difference to your performance (it's always the players car so, I think, it has an engine as powerful as the best on the grid). I've got Ricardo Rosset, it's good to see him at the pointy end. :)

#34 Gemini

Gemini

• 3,824 posts

Posted 31 July 2001 - 13:20

Originally posted by Peter Perfect

Also, just out of interest, who do you race as? The car and driver you choose don't make any difference to your performance (it's always the players car so, I think, it has an engine as powerful as the best on the grid).

Unless you want it to make a difference - GP3Edit util let you choose between "default power" or "team dependant power". I strongly advice to use the latter, as this is where the fun begins It's much more dirfficult to overtake...

#35 kodandaram

kodandaram

• 4,378 posts

Posted 31 July 2001 - 14:07

Confucius - u are embarrassing me !:blush:
just kidding , i beleive we are all trying out two carsets - the latest 2001 (hummerich - iam using ) and the original 98 season - and the difficulty is set at ACE at least for me - so regarding ur alonso time - try on the original set - i have managed a 1.40.556 just now and that took another 3 hrs to get it right in mika 98 maclaren !:up: :stoned:

#36 Yelnats

Yelnats

• 2,026 posts

Posted 31 July 2001 - 22:10

Peter Perfect, I don't believe we need a cutoff for Hockenhiem times as this is only for fun but obviously as the next race nears it is going to become the object of our fastlaps.

Confucious, I drive with a wheel and all aids off except the gears, this includes turning the steering help off in the Control Setup panel where the wheel is calibrated. I like to feel I am in entire control of the car though I might spin a lot more this way.:stoned:

#37 Yelnats

Yelnats

• 2,026 posts

Posted 01 August 2001 - 04:58

I'm down to 1:41.772 using 3 front 1 rear wing. Getting 217mph (352k) on straights at peak revs with the 1998 carsets and physics. My previous best was 1:42.8 with 9 front and 4 rear and 205 mph on straights. It's a bit easier to get this time as the corners less critical with such a high top speed.

The McLaren carsets were qualifying at 1:42.5 on the front of the grid in the ACE class so I am comfortably ahead of them in my Ferrari.

Now it's on to Hungary. With it's high downforce setup it will be like learning to drive all over again!

#38 confucius

confucius

• 2,568 posts

Posted 01 August 2001 - 08:42

How do u guys manage to get such high speeds at Hock? Would it be my gear ratios? I'm not the best at setting cars up so what I do is D/L a setup from the net and "tinker" with it till it suits my driving. I don't use steering help either, and I know what u mean when u say TC seems to hold u back sometimes out of corners.

This is fun by the way! I guess I'll try Hockenheim a bit more until Hungary gets closer. I used to have a great setup for Hungary where I could absolutely nail the corner entries and get the perfect bit of mid corner oversteer. But I re-installed the game without sacving the setup :mad:

#39 kodandaram

kodandaram

• 4,378 posts

Posted 01 August 2001 - 10:04

Okay now u guys are really kickin' my ass here ! Just how the hell are u supposed to get 217 MPH at the track ??!!! i have been getting 214 max even after carrying max speed thru first corner and holding the strightest line possible - forget about gear ratio's i did all i could to get up here and then cracked the wings as well ....nevertheless u can have ur speed for the race but my time puts me ahead of u yelants -
about hungary - i am sure i am going to be the top driver - lets see there is lot of time to practice !:up:

Advertisement

#40 confucius

confucius

• 2,568 posts

Posted 01 August 2001 - 10:34

I tried Hungary briefly just now, again with my new carset and trackset and half-assed car setup. I drove my balls off and still only managed around a 1:16s

#41 kodandaram

kodandaram

• 4,378 posts

Posted 01 August 2001 - 14:27

Please give me ur setup confucious and ur carset info

#42 Yelnats

Yelnats

• 2,026 posts

Posted 01 August 2001 - 18:06

As for top speeds at Hockenheim with 1998 physics, I am using 3 front and only 1 rear wing and top gear is, I believe, 63 which is one below the highest available. Speeds rise to above 220 with a tow but the 217 is attainable even starting from the pits!

I have started on Hungary and have turned 1:18.17 but with lots of slight mistakes so more practice should knock over a second off that. I switched from my Hockenheim Ferrari (Michael) to a McLaren (Mika) and the standard setup for Hungary went from 15 f 15 r with the Ferrari to 20 f 20 r for the Mclaren and that alone gave me an easy 1.5 seconds but the car seems much less twitchy and I think it's something to do with the damper and spring setups.

Keep on Tracking!:drunk:

#43 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 02 August 2001 - 08:09

Hockenheim:- 1:39.858

F-Wing: 5
R-Wing: 3

Top Speed 211mph

#44 confucius

confucius

• 2,568 posts

Posted 02 August 2001 - 14:44

Tried Hockenheim with softer springs and no throttle help and got down to a 1:40:002. :mad:

So close to getting it under 1:40. And it was a VERY messy lap too cos I'm not used to doing no "TC"

#45 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 02 August 2001 - 14:56

I know what you mean, I did 7 or 8 laps all in the 1:40.0xxs but just couldn't break the barrier. I finally did but I don't think I could go much faster if at all.

#46 confucius

confucius

• 2,568 posts

Posted 02 August 2001 - 15:23

I only did one lap without TC and managed to get it down that low straight away. I'm sure with a bit more practice with no TC I could get it down more.

#47 kodandaram

kodandaram

• 4,378 posts

Posted 02 August 2001 - 16:53

Hungary - 1.17.139s ! i only took 9 laps to ge there - i wanna do i high 1.15 lap so keep watching out guys !:up:

#48 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 03 August 2001 - 07:48

1:39.240

I had a rethink over setup and changed to :-

F-Wing 3
R-Wing 1

Max Speed 216mph

#49 FlatFoot

FlatFoot

• 1,473 posts

Posted 04 August 2001 - 00:18

Originally posted by kodandaram
Hungary - 1.17.139s ! i only took 9 laps to ge there - i wanna do i high 1.15 lap so keep watching out guys !:up:

Uggg..I did three laps and managed a 1.23.xx However, I haven't played with the setup other than adding a LOT of wing.

F-Wing 15
B-Wing 12

#50 confucius

confucius

• 2,568 posts

Posted 04 August 2001 - 02:22

My wings are at 20F 19R and I set a 1:16 straight out of the box