Photo

Any tips for an enjoyable race weekend?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Salty

Mr. Salty

• 5,400 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 23:26

No, not F1, unfortunately, but I'm going to the 12 Hours of Sebring next weekend. My uncle got me tix (he lives there), not sure how much access yet, but I'll take 'em.

Anyway, having never been to an endurance race (or any race of note), I was just wondering what to look for, who to meet, etc.

Thanks!

Advertisement

#2 Mr. Salty

Mr. Salty

• 5,400 posts

Posted 09 March 2000 - 23:41

Okay, one more try, and if I still get no reply's I'll kill this pitiful thread in shame. :(

#3 FlagMan

FlagMan

• 475 posts

Posted 09 March 2000 - 23:58

Since the majority of the posters on this BB have never been to a race meeting its unlikely you will get many answers...

However - the advantage of long distance races is that it gives you are chance to wander round and look at the action from different positions round the circuit - though as I do not know Sebring I am not sure if that is possible there.

For major meeting in the UK most circuits broadcast the commentary on radio as well as using the circuit PA so it helps to take a portable radio - again I don't know if this happens at Sebring - normally they sell radios at the circuit if this happens.

#4 Mr. Salty

Mr. Salty

• 5,400 posts

Posted 10 March 2000 - 00:02

Thank you Flagman. You have restored my faith in humanity. ;)

Good idea about the radio. I was planning on some wandering, and I was going to try to get some driver autographs (former F1 drivers, I hope). I was just curious about what to look for.

Maybe I should have posted this in Nostalgia...

#5 Andy

Andy

• 3,483 posts

Posted 10 March 2000 - 00:22

BRING BEER!! :rolleyes:

Look for a driver by the name of Scott Maxwell. He's a client/friend of mine and I believe he's there this year. One of his teammates is "whats-his-face" the ex-CART driver who now does CART commentary on ABC. His name escapes me at the moment but I think his last name starts with an "S" :confused:

I believe they drive a Lola...

------------------
JETPLAST Custom Displays

#6 FlagMan

FlagMan

• 475 posts

Posted 10 March 2000 - 00:28

Actually I very rarely get to wander around as I am normally working on circuit so cannot give much more advice. Try to get access to the paddock - normally that sort of racing is much less restrictive about access than F1.

Hope you enjoy the racing - IMO endurance racing knocks spots off F1.

One thing to watch out for is trying to spot who is driving the car at any one time by comparing the driver styles.

#7 130R

130R

• 3,509 posts

Posted 10 March 2000 - 01:42

Check the weather forecast. If necessary bring rain gear, sunscreen, botlled water, powerbars, and good comfortable shoes. Don't forget a hat, cash, a cell phone, some good cigars and some walking around money.

You may also need sunglasses, a small back pack to put your stuff in, and a seat cushion for your ass!

A radio with earphones can make sucha long race easy to follow. Also, earplugs, a few magazines and a book may come in handy. Pack your own food if you can because a) track food is crap and b) it is like dining at Spago money wise.

Enjoy the race. Don't forget your tickets!

#8 bigblue

bigblue

• 1,300 posts

Posted 10 March 2000 - 08:20

cigars are essential, and scotch. Good advice from 130R. Endurance racing is very enjoyable to see. I've never been to Sebring but a mountain bike is great at Watkins Glen and LimeRock to name some I've been to. gets you around really fast and easy, beats walking.

[This message has been edited by bigblue (edited 03-10-2000).]

[This message has been edited by bigblue (edited 03-10-2000).]

#9 130R

130R

• 3,509 posts

Posted 10 March 2000 - 10:12

Yes, BigBlue! A mountain bike. We are bringing ours to Montreal this year to cruise the city.

#10 foster

foster

• 915 posts

Posted 10 March 2000 - 11:06

Listen to 130R.
Also, save the bulk of the partying until late in the race, then plan to crash out for a few hours afterward to recover, even if you didn't party hardy. At least it will give the crowd time to disperse, and you might be surprised of restricted areas you can get into and the stars you can meet an hour after the excitement is over. Don't plan to rush back home, or to wherever, just hang out, relax and take your time. You won't be sorry.
Things NOT to bring: binoculars, lawnchair, water, or anything else bulky or heavy. Mobility is the key.

------------------
CHEERS,
FOSTER

#11 Mr. Salty

Mr. Salty

• 5,400 posts

Posted 10 March 2000 - 22:21

Thank you all.

I'll start packing my "survival kit" early next week.

Andy, I will do my best to meet Maxwell. I'll tell him you said "hello".

#12 Andy

Andy

• 3,483 posts

Posted 10 March 2000 - 23:27

Danny Sullivan!! That's the name I couldn't remember. He was his teammate last year but am not sure if they are still together this year. Have Fun! Ya, tell Scott M. "Andy from JETPLAST" says Hi!

#13 Mr. Salty

Mr. Salty

• 5,400 posts

Posted 10 March 2000 - 23:43

Andy,
I thought you were just kidding when you said "starts with an S", I was thinking of Sullivan the whole time! :cool: I'll look up who's driving what for who etc. this weekend.