Photo

Irvine slams Cubhead, again.

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 Daemon

Daemon

• 5,452 posts

Posted 02 March 2000 - 06:40

McLaren's David Coulthard has been heavily criticised by Eddie Irvine, as Irvine said that Coulthard is not quick enough to win the title. Irvine missed out on the title in Japan last year, and he will start his first race for Jaguar next week. "I think Coulthard should concentrate on not spinning off during the final race of the season and losing McLaren the Constructors' Championship," said Irvine. "I am professional enough to do that. I keep reading this is the season when Coulthard intends to win the title but he says that every year. He's just not quick enough. His team-mate, Mika Hakkinen, has had the upper hand for the last three years and I don't see anything changing - though Michael Schumacher will be the man to beat."

Advertisement

#2 theMot

theMot

• 6,196 posts

Posted 02 March 2000 - 06:42

I love eddie when he talks like this :) Nothing like a good cube head slam to start the day.

#3 Karter

Karter

• 71 posts

Posted 02 March 2000 - 06:50

Black, kettle, calling, pot. (not neccessarily in that order)

#4 Linus27

Linus27

• 4,895 posts

Posted 02 March 2000 - 07:26

I do not see anything wrong with that statement. It is true also. Every year Cubehead says he will win it this year and every year Mika has blown him away.

#5 Hoffy

Hoffy

• 130 posts

Posted 02 March 2000 - 07:33

I Lurve it when Eddy talks Dirty! :eek:

But one thing I want to know, how many more chances will the cube be given by Dennis?

#6 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,782 posts

Posted 02 March 2000 - 07:59

Karter - quite right. How can go-slow steady Eddie critize ANYONE for being too slow.

#7 Lantern

Lantern

• 2,408 posts

Posted 02 March 2000 - 08:05

What's a "cubhead"?;)

Posted Image

#8 Daemon

Daemon

• 5,452 posts

Posted 02 March 2000 - 08:12

Sorry

[]
-- = cubEhead
/

:D

#9 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,357 posts

Posted 02 March 2000 - 08:15

Hmmm.... Valid criticism, seeing as it comes from someone who has won multiple WDCs and has never spun under pressure and always toasts his hapless team-mates... :rolleyes:

#10 HK

HK

• 197 posts

Posted 02 March 2000 - 09:11

Words of true wisdom with a spice of early mind games now its up to El Cubotesta.

#11 Daemon

Daemon

• 5,452 posts

Posted 02 March 2000 - 09:19

Well I think apart from MS, JV, MH, Irvine is the only one that could get away with making this sort of comment, because Eddie has never claimed he was going to win the WDC every year, like Cube, but he has come very close, unlike cubehead who has said he's gonna win it the past 2 years, with the best car no less, and ...........not even close....

#12 tallguy

tallguy

• 2,151 posts

Posted 02 March 2000 - 09:43

Eddie used to really piss me off with such comments, but having thought about what F1 would be like if all the drivers spoke like good little puppets in politically correct terms - I realise his contribution stirs things up a little.
Good on him ( even tho I disagree with him DC will do well this season )

#13 Irvinegirl

Irvinegirl

• 107 posts

Posted 02 March 2000 - 10:23

Oh well finally someone is coming to his senses...;)

#14 Samurai

Samurai

• 5,415 posts

Posted 02 March 2000 - 10:24

but I think Irvine is one guy who got's absolutely too much time on his hands.
hey i thought he was supposed to be having his hands full of chicks.

#15 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,257 posts

Posted 02 March 2000 - 10:35

Where's the administrator?
I thought he said name-calling would be banned...

#16 legend

legend

• 36 posts

Posted 02 March 2000 - 10:42

Personally I think Cubehead should retire cause he's only making the finn look good.
As for Eddie he needs to carry a big bucket with him. :p

#17 John B

John B

• 7,963 posts

Posted 02 March 2000 - 11:03

Irvine is much improved and very consistent last year, but he has yet to have a race performance anything like Coulthard at Spa 2000, Imola 1998, Monza 1997, or his first win at Estoril. DC has obviously not made the most out of his opportunities with Williams and Mclaren, but at least at these races when he decisively by outpacing everyone on the grid, including his world champion teammates Hill/Hakkinen.

Now as far as the other 75 or races in this period......

#18 Thomas

Thomas

• 123 posts

Posted 02 March 2000 - 11:39

I'm sick and tired of people putting down Cubehead! The cube happens to be a very efficient cerebral geometry for maximum post-race excuse-making throughput. In fact, I wager that DC already has his excuses mapped out - complete with backup excuses - for at least the first half of the season.

#19 130R

130R

• 3,509 posts

Posted 02 March 2000 - 12:00

Hey DC, how do you react to such posts? You are out there aren't you? ;)

Advertisement

#20 Louis Mr. F1

Louis Mr. F1

• 3,495 posts

Posted 02 March 2000 - 14:50

yeah, i just read last week's Autosport with DC's interview, it's the same thing that he said year after year, " he'll beat Mika this year". I wonder if he's tired of saying the same thing every year. for sure, i'm bored of reading the same stuff.

I also wonder how come he's so proud of having beaten Mika in those odd races, ie Bel99, Imola98..., doesn't he forget about all the other 20+ races and all the qualifying session that Mika convincingly beat him?

Ron, get JV in the other MM, he's going to heighten the excitment. :) :( :) :(

#21 Laphroaig

Laphroaig

• 456 posts

Posted 02 March 2000 - 17:26

ghi ghi :).. I love Irvine cause he just speaks out :)
Wether it's true or not doesn't matter, psychological warefare, baby! Next week Hakkinen will probably be Irvines target (he hasn't said anything about Hakk yet this year, weird!)

Anywayz, as for JV in a MacLaren... hemm dunno if Ron would want that, someone that could be on par with Hakk. Coulth still seems to be one hell of a good car developer!
Yeah... JV + Coulth in next years BAR Honda, I think that could be a successful combo!

#22 Toxicant

Toxicant

• 2,192 posts

Posted 02 March 2000 - 08:39

Oh, did you hear DC's response to this? He said that Rubens will be a much better team mate for Schumacher. Rubens is more level headed and focused, but then he went on to say, "I don't know if Rubens is faster then Eddie, guess we'll never know"

Pretty funny, Eddie slams him hard and even with that he can't bring himself to say that Rubens is faster.

So even DC thinks Eddie is faster then Rubens.....Go Jaguar!!

Tox!

#23 StuffedBeaver

StuffedBeaver

• 5,668 posts

Posted 02 March 2000 - 21:06

All hail Swirve!! Thank god someone has some balls to say what they think in the sometimes too sterile environment of F1.

yadda yadda yadda DC's gonna whip Mika's ass (or anyones ass) this year where have I heard that before?

The sooner he goes back to red Dwarf the better

------------------
The Beav

#24 614david

614david

• 2,686 posts

Posted 02 March 2000 - 21:51

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!!!!!
As usual, Eddie is talking out of his arse!!
Basically, he is gutted because he wanted to drive for McLaren in 2000, and Ron Dennis told him to feck off, because he would rather have David than Eddie anyday, also, Eddie has been beaten by David on countless occassions, he is a jealous, mischevious little arse. with nothing better to do with his time than slag off drivers who are by far superior to him, so

FECK OFF EDDIE!!

#25 Arale

Arale

• 120 posts

Posted 02 March 2000 - 23:53

Good ole Eddie, trust him not to slam DC :p

But honestly, I am starting to be wary about DC, he had to best equipment for the past 2 years and he didn't even came close to MH. Also, he seems to hold this view that just because he has overtook/beaten a driver on a few occasions, it automatically means he is a better driver than them (He said that about MH and MS). Really, does a number of races reflect a driver's OVERALL ability? :rolleyes:

Go Eddie~

[This message has been edited by Arale (edited 03-02-2000).]

#26 John

John

• 1,167 posts

Posted 03 March 2000 - 00:17

THIS IS AMAZING!!

Irvine slid off during qualifying in the final race, and slid off at the Hungaroring while being chased by DC.

What a goof!

I KNOW Herbert is going to kick his ass.

"GO JOHNNY GO!"

#27 RedFever

RedFever

• 9,408 posts

Posted 03 March 2000 - 00:21

"I keep reading this is the season when Coulthard intends to win the title but he says that every year.". Priceless. I mean, how can you say he is not right about this???

Bruce, I don't recall Eddie spinning out of control under pressure. Sure, a couple of times long in breaking and lost a position, but it's entirely different from crashing every guardrail F1 has to offer.......

Let's be honest. Eddie is not fast, but he makes way less mistakes than JV, Schumi, Hak, and above all, DC. And that's the only reason why he had a chance to win last year's title. Regularity. It's the only skill he has shown, you can't take that away from him.

#28 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,782 posts

Posted 03 March 2000 - 01:21

Yeah, because he drives so fecking slowly. Probably wouldn't even reach the guardrail if he went off head on. Brakes early enough for Christmas.

All this slamming of DC is really just a way of taking the shine from Mika. I mean, DC ain't slow, so why can't we flip the analogy to MH is just bloody quick. . . as being a double WDC kind of proves.

Besides what's DC supposed to say? "Mika's gonna whip my ass again?". If you go into a season thinking you're going to get beat, chances are you'll get beat. Positive attitude means a lot in life, if you ask me.

#29 RedFever

RedFever

• 9,408 posts

Posted 03 March 2000 - 02:22

sure, but doesn't change the fact that DC with best car was never in contention for a WC, while Eddie, going as slow as you say, almost made it. Big f#&@ing difference if you ask me!!!!

#30 mono-posto

mono-posto

• 1,674 posts

Posted 03 March 2000 - 05:42

I'm not a blazing Eddie Irvine fan or any thing. Not even close. But I'll tell you why I like the guy. Where as DC is alway's saying he's going to contend for the WDC this year and then next year and then next year, Eddie never has. To the best of my knowledge, Eddie has never said that. Even when he WAS in contention for the championship, he looked forward realisticly. If any one has a confirmed quote from he saying something to the effect.."I'm going to challenge for the WDC this year, for sure." Then I'll stand corrected.

Further more, he alway's gives credit where credit is due. When he was number 1 he praised his number 2 (Salo), when he was number 2 he praised his number 1 (Schumacher). He gave Michael the credit for Mayalasia infront of the whole world. What other driver would do that? No he's not as fast as many others but he's alot more honest. Of course his detracters will also criticise Michael's contraversial actions in the past saying it was "unsportsman like" or "that would never have happened 30 years ago.". Then along comes a guy how's honest, a fair sport and a half way decent driver and he gets flamed for it!!

I've also noticed the same people flaming every one saying, "Oh, Michael is definitely the favorite this year." Let's see, that's come from Schekter, Lauda, Mansell, Irvine, Salo, Ecclestone, Mosley, etc....

What is it with peoples apparent lack of being able to assess a situation without bias? I'm not a blazing Schuey fan either, but when someone like Lauda comes out and says that, the response is ,"What the **** does he know, he's an idiot." WHAT???
These people are not some wacked F1 fans like us, these people ARE formula 1! They live it, breath it and work it every day. But that I guess does not justify a calculated opinion. You would think so by the posts around here. You don't need to like or dislike a particular driver in order to be able to look at a situation and make a unbiased observation. We are all so hooked on who we like and who we dislike that some people make ridiculous comments based on favoratism.

OK that's off my chest. :) :)

#31 Irvinegirl

Irvinegirl

• 107 posts

Posted 03 March 2000 - 08:02

You said it all... :)

#32 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,782 posts

Posted 03 March 2000 - 08:05

Mono - Eddie has all along licked Schumachers ass because he clearly knew he couldn't touch the guy in the same car. Eddie was never at Ferarri to win, he was there to back up Schumacher, which he did very well. The fact that DC refuses to give up to MH is a good characteristic if you ask me - I'd rather have someone who was trying and, given Irvine's luck from last year, could easily challenge for the WDC, than someone like Irvine who is happy to sit in 2nd behind his team mate and when it came down to it was completely helpless without him (Malaysia).

#33 mono-posto

mono-posto

• 1,674 posts

Posted 03 March 2000 - 08:16

Let me do a 'what if' here. I hate doing this because you can 'what if' everything to death, BUT, what if we removed the variable that is Michael Schumacher from Maylasia. Where would that have left Irvine? On pole! Would he have been able to hold off the McLarens for the duration of the race? Probably not.

But like I said, I'm not a huge Irvine fan, I'm trying to defemd him here because it seems that we get in our heads who we hate and then we can never give them credit when it is deserved or look at past performances through untainted eyes or draw a conclusion about future potential without a bias. Doesn't matter if it's Irvine, Schumacher, Hakkinen, Coulthard who ever...

And of course Eddie couldn't touch MS in the same car. No offence irvinegirl, but like I said, he's definitely not the fastest out there, but would we fair any better? **** no!!!;)

#34 RedFever

RedFever

• 9,408 posts

Posted 03 March 2000 - 08:31

Mono, if Michael didn't do such a fine job in slowing Mika over 1 second a lap for large parts of the race, Mika would have won in Malaysia.

#35 Linus27

Linus27

• 4,895 posts

Posted 03 March 2000 - 10:20

RedFever

That is what mono is saying.

Mono

I totaly agree with what you say. Its sick that people on here are so dedicated to there favourite driver they can't give credit to other drivers. Its sad really because it just shows that the world is full of narrow minded sparrow brained twits. Alesi is my favourite driver so that should make me jump up and say, he's fantastic, he's the fastest and he's going to win races this year. Like feck is he. He will be lucky to even qualify the prost in 10th but other small minded idiots on here would say it differently about there fav driver and say they are so great they will do fantastic things. Its just a reflection of what a feckud up world we live in thanks to humans. Why can't people on here wake up and smell the real flavour.

RicardoF1

I don't really think your in any position to say Irvine drives so slow. Until you can prove he drives so slow and does not put his life at risk then I find your statement an insult and totaly arrogant.

#36 Irvinegirl

Irvinegirl

• 107 posts

Posted 04 March 2000 - 00:08

Mono-posto,
I'm perfectly aware of that fact... :)

Linus27,

There should be more people like you (and Mono) :)

#37 Peeko

Peeko

• 3,853 posts

Posted 04 March 2000 - 00:21

Irvinegirl,

If you send me your picture, maybe I can be like Linus and mono...;););)

#38 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,782 posts

Posted 04 March 2000 - 02:16

Linus 27 - Of course all things are relevant, but when a driver who couldn't even command a regular F1 seat (Salo) last year comes in a kicks his ass to kingdom come, you've got to wonder . . ..

#39 Peeko

Peeko

• 3,853 posts

Posted 04 March 2000 - 02:23

The only damage DC can do is to his car and the armco...he's already taken care of his reputation.

Advertisement

#40 Todd

Todd

• 18,936 posts

Posted 04 March 2000 - 02:59

Ricardo,

How do you come up with statements like Salo kicking Irvine's ass? They were partnered for more than one race. Eddie was faster most of the time, often by a lot.

------------------
Forza Michael Schumacher,
Todd

#41 Linus27

Linus27

• 4,895 posts

Posted 04 March 2000 - 06:45

Ricardo

On the same grounds that Salo has not proved to be consistant. Why does Herbert not get to drive for McLaren and Ferrari where at Nurburg last year he showed he can stay on the track and win the race whilst other drivers could not, ie DC. Same for Panis, he won in the wet at Monaco of all places where Schumacher crashed out at the start but Panis, although went from strength to strength and into the 97 season as a points finisher, he still could not get a good seat, even after a good few races in 99, Suzuka being one of them.

#42 Linus27

Linus27

• 4,895 posts

Posted 04 March 2000 - 06:53

Originally posted by Linus27:
Ricardo

On the same grounds that Salo has not proved to be consistant. Why does Herbert not get to drive for McLaren and Ferrari where at Nurburg last year he showed he can stay on the track and win the race whilst other drivers could not, ie DC. Same for Panis, he won in the wet at Monaco of all places where Schumacher crashed out at the start but Panis, although went from strength to strength and into the 97 season as a points finisher, he still could not get a good seat, even after a good few races in 99, Suzuka being one of them.

Irvinegirl

#43 Linus27

Linus27

• 4,895 posts

Posted 04 March 2000 - 06:54

Oh bloody hell whats going on here then. Bugger flip bum, was not meant to do that.

#44 tom

tom

• 3,474 posts

Posted 04 March 2000 - 07:15

todd,
"Eddie was faster most of the time, often by a lot."

irvine had been with ferrari for 4 f***ing years thickshit.
salo had been there for what was it 4 races, and salo still beat him a couple of times ..

again todds quote:
"Eddie was faster most of the time, often by a lot."

what a loser,

---------------------------------

irvine = w@nker

#45 Todd

Todd

• 18,936 posts

Posted 04 March 2000 - 07:28

It was 6 races and Mika Salo got in a great deal of testing during that time. He is also an experienced F1 driver and is considered by many to be a respectable talent. Having said that, it seems that faster tracks suited Salo better than Eddie. At average to slow tracks, Eddie was consistently faster.

BTW tom, I've got $20,000 that says Eddie Irvine has to service himself less often than you do. Any takers?

#46 Karter

Karter

• 71 posts

Posted 04 March 2000 - 07:41

Todd,

Rest assured, your money's safe

#47 tom

tom

• 3,474 posts

Posted 04 March 2000 - 07:50

todd,
yeah well i've got $20 that says you're a total loser.

---------------------------------------

irvine = w@nker

#48 Karter

Karter

• 71 posts

Posted 04 March 2000 - 08:48

tom

Have you drunk too many shandy's or are you always abusive?

#49 Irvinegirl

Irvinegirl

• 107 posts

Posted 04 March 2000 - 09:37

He is.

Ooor..It could be just me 'cos he has something against a certain F1-driver...(You can start guessing...) :rolleyes:

[This message has been edited by Irvinegirl (edited 03-04-2000).]

#50 Linus27

Linus27

• 4,895 posts

Posted 04 March 2000 - 11:06

Actually I am a bit shocked. I know Tom and I do not see eye to eye most of the time but this attack on Todd seems a little strong and a bit personel. I might have missed something in the past between these two but I don't remember Tom and me ever getting this personel. Someone have a word with them BOTH to try and sort this out.