Photo

Ron Dennis is so confident.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Thunder

Thunder

• 3,397 posts

Posted 12 March 2000 - 04:15

“What we’ll try to do is lead by a lap and make it to the finish,” he said. “We always ask ourselves if it is a good idea to build a car that can lead by a lap but does not finish. Now I believe we have a car that can do both.”

Dennis said the new McLaren MP4-15 is a significant step forward on last year’s chassis.

“One of the things we had at the end of last year was the fastest F1 car. What we now know is that we have made an even faster car.”

This is from f1racing.net
I dont know how he forsee this ,after this qualifying.
By the way , unlike many ms bashers, he admits he had the faster car not the faster driver.

Advertisement

#2 The Swerve

The Swerve

• 5,702 posts

Posted 12 March 2000 - 04:49

Why are you bringing Michael Schumacher into this? Ron doesn't even mention him in this quote?!?
:confused:

#3 MGPowell

MGPowell

• 90 posts

Posted 12 March 2000 - 05:15

I don't think McLaren are as confident as you think, especially the drivers.

Michael morning practice time would have put him on pole by 2 tenths, and usually at melbourne, Ferrari can't get within 5 tenths of McLaren at any session.

Which means the Ferrari have made a considerable push forward with this years car.

Usually ferrari are a little behind in the first few races but prove to McLaren's equal later in the year. Now if this trend is still going to happen, then with the Ferrari's being equal already, could mean they are going to be superior on other tracks.

The only thing ferrari have to worry about, is have they gotten the extra speed and the expense of their fantastic reliablity of last year.

Considering, McLaren's early unreliability of last year also, I doubt that McLaren or Mika and David are really that confident, and I believe in the official interviews so far, Mika and David have reflected this.

I think McLaren will be trying many new part at the next races trying to get their edge over Ferrari back, which could be to their detriment. I guess only time will tell.

------------------
Matthew Powell
Crazy Australian

#4 HP

HP

• 19,646 posts

Posted 12 March 2000 - 12:20

Hmm, hope he comes down to normal after both McLaren's out in the race

#5 FerrariFanInTexas

FerrariFanInTexas

• 1,157 posts

Posted 12 March 2000 - 12:37

RD's comments after raceday morning warm-ups appear to cut against his confidence. He was surprised by Rubinho's speed, and wondered where Ferrari found it.

Given the events of the race, he needs to be mighty concerned. The F1-2000 appears as fast in race trim as the MP4-15, but has the added advantage over the McLarens of keeping the oil inside the engine.

Ir all adds up to a Ferrari 1-2, by my way of looking at things!

Avanti Ferrari!