Photo

EA F1 2001 v. 989 Formula 1 2001

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: EA F1 2001 v. 989 Formula 1 2001 (19 member(s) have cast votes)

1. EA's F1 2001 (18 votes [94.74%])

Percentage of vote: 94.74%

2. 989 (Sony) Forumula 1 2001 (1 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Scudetto

Scudetto

• 8,227 posts

Posted 11 October 2001 - 14:03

With the near-simultaneous release of EA's F1 2001 and Sony's (989's) Formula 1 2001 for the PS2, I'm interested in comparison opinions (I haven't bought either and hope to benefit from your collective experience.)

By the way, does the Sony US release of the game come packaged with the 2000 Season Review DVD as it did in Britian?

Advertisement

#2 Scudetto

Scudetto

• 8,227 posts

Posted 11 October 2001 - 16:04

3 to 0 in favor of EA. Anyone care to say why?

#3 Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee

• 1,030 posts

Posted 11 October 2001 - 17:41

I'm in the same boat too. I was waiting to get some input before I buy. It's now 5 to 0 but nobody's posting as to why.

#4 MattB

MattB

• 502 posts

Posted 11 October 2001 - 18:53

I have both, Sony's 989 house developers Formula One 2001, and EA's F1 2001. I also own the first EA PS2 title Formula One Championship Season 2000.

I feel that EA's is a much nicer game. Why? I'll tell ya why.

EA's game is a much, and I mean much, improved version over the first attempt. More in game options, better graphics, nicer car shapes, penalties, pit radio, variable weather, race flags, and the AI is improved, but still dodgy. This game is really a nice treat. With ABS and Traction control off you really need to pay attention. With it on in simulation mode you can still get into trouble rather easy. There is only one engine sound for all cars, the biggest drawback for me, but the sound is very nice. Also the driver helmet, hands, steering wheel, etc, are very nicely detailed.

So why is it better than Sony's. Because Sony's graphics are very sorry. The cars wheel shapes and body shapes look very blocky and unfinished. The AI isn't very good, the car handling is very poor, and the engine sounds are all different but they sound like a modified vacuum cleaner. I have been anxiously awaiting the game for months and I must say I was bummed. But I was really pleased when I put EA's game in.
Sony's game is good in that you do get a full weekend of schedule and you get an animated drivers podium with them shaking their trophies, but once you have seen it a few times it gets old quickly.

My money would be on EA's for PS2. It is a very sweet visual package, very nice car handling charachteristics, super driver detail, and variable weather. Now I wish EA would deliver a similiar package for CART fans. CART 2001.

#5 Scudetto

Scudetto

• 8,227 posts

Posted 11 October 2001 - 20:18

Thank's for the input MattB. Good to have an objective opinion. I think I've got my answer.

#6 Pikachu Racing

Pikachu Racing

• 5,478 posts

Posted 11 October 2001 - 20:50

I suggest staying away from Sony's 989 Sports series. They ended up thinking they got to good with the hits producing in 97 and 98 and got way too lazy in programing. NFL Gameday turned to be crap after 98 along with NCAA Gamebreaker. MLB wasn't good. 989 needs to get their heads together. EA Sports tries to out-do themselves each year (except Triple Play series that gone downhill since 2000)

#7 Loxley

Loxley

• 13 posts

Posted 12 October 2001 - 01:39

Here's why.

Here's an image comparison against a real f1 shot.

Posted Image

Also, the game play of Formula 1 2001 must be dumbed down from the PAL verson.

EA vs. Sony

This is a first impressions overview. As I play them both more, I'll update.

Graphics
EA 9 (Close to GT3)
Sony 6.5 (Looks a little arcadish in comparison to EA)

Handling/Physics
EA - 8.5
Sony 7

You have to work more at your lap time with the EA game and EA makes better use of the Force Feedback wheel and draws you into the game better.

Best Lap time at Monaco - EA 1.26.9xx Sony 1.31.344

Although 1.19.424 is the real life race lap record

Setup adjustment

Sony 9
EA 8

Sony setup screen is as good as GT3 - just looks different.

EA - you can even adjust tire pressure, but the layout isn't as slick.

Tracks

EA - 9 Sony 9.

They both have track variances.

Skin Factor
EA - 8
Sony - 0

EA has these lead ins to the races with Pit Babes. Undecided if it's cheesy, but thought I'd mention it.

Quick Race Mode
Sony -8
EA-7

Sony is more customizable.

Race mode
EA - 9
Sony - 7

Goes to EA for the AI - much improved.

Pros for EA
Driving school for qualification to races. Very similar to license test for you gold junkies. Modes include the basics, weather, pit stops, race craft, and race time (i.e. super license)

The graphics are phenomenal. Physics are good - great use of the FF wheel. Normal and Sim modes

Cons

Out of control flags.

Pros for Sony
Physics are great. Using the Dual Shock you have a clutch. Using the manual tranny you can kill the engine and have to restart the engine - very cool.

Track times seem to be more realistic.

Cons - No setting to calibrate the force feedback wheel. Feel disconnected from the car.

First impressions - EA - 9 Sony 7

You feel more connected to the EA game.

If you have to buy one, buy EA

#8 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,615 posts

Posted 12 October 2001 - 03:52

Wow, Loxley, thanks! Outstanding info! :up:

#9 Nustang70

Nustang70

• 2,439 posts

Posted 12 October 2001 - 04:17

thanks to all the contributors, i was trying to decide betweeen the two and this thread has helped me decide. :up:

#10 zppd

zppd

• 136 posts

Posted 12 October 2001 - 18:14

Loxley :up:

Excellent info!

Can you expand on why EA's got "out of control flags"? Do they get in the way of racing or get in the way of the players' view of the track?

Also, I have the Logitech FF wheel, are you using the same?

Thanks
Zppd

#11 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,615 posts

Posted 12 October 2001 - 19:39

I read in a review that if you put just one wheel off, the yellows start waving immediately.

#12 Loxley

Loxley

• 13 posts

Posted 12 October 2001 - 23:49

Z

Yes, I use the Logitech - it's great!

Out of control flags:

At Suzuka just before the first left in the "S" curves two cars spun into the grass. The yellow came out and I got a stop and go penalty for passing the cars in the grass.

I haven't had the yellow for putting one wheel off, but I did get it for 2 and I got a stop and go for speeding under the yellow.

#13 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 15 October 2001 - 08:58

MattB and Loxley
You two have hit it on the head. I want to know why Sony decided that the US fans didn't deserve the extra (4 hour) cd of the 2000 race season. And why does the game that Bernie himself endorses (through the FIA) suck sooooo bad. Only the Sony games have Murray. EA kicked their arse this time. I will be selling my 989 crap.

#14 Dudley

Dudley

• 9,248 posts

Posted 21 October 2001 - 10:44

a) 989 had NOTHING to do with the Sony game, it wsa made (as with the PS1 efforts) by the Psygnosis/Studio Liverpool outfit.

b)the extra DVD was a limited edition in the euro release and is no longer avaliable.

c)The FIA endorse BOTH games otherwise they wouldn't have the real names.

#15 100cc

100cc

• 3,178 posts

Posted 21 October 2001 - 10:55

I saw my friend play the 989 for about 2 minutes on his ps2. No sensation of speed, and otherwise it seemed very unrealistic as well.

I haven't been able to understand all the :up: :up:'s for ea's game, I just don't like it that much, perhaps I should spend a bit more time configuring the steering?

#16 Loxley

Loxley

• 13 posts

Posted 21 October 2001 - 19:52

Originally posted by Dudley
...a) 989 had NOTHING to do with the Sony game, it wsa made (as with the PS1 efforts) by the Psygnosis/Studio Liverpool outfit. ...

Nothing?

Why does the startup screen of the game say "989 Sports?"
Why does the box have "989 Sports" on it?
Why does the 989sports.com website sell is as their the game?
Doesn't SCEA own 989sports?

Studio Liverpool developed and 989 published, but it seems 989 had more than "Nothing" to do with the game.

Formula one 2001 is not a bad game. EA is just better in certain areas.

100CC - if you're using the wheel be sure to calibrate it every time you start the game other wise the steering is very twitchy.