home some postcards that feature reproductions of 1930's advertising
hoardings for races. I will post details of them to the
group as well.

Advertisement

#2 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,722 posts

Posted 16 October 2001 - 22:26

A good friend with a keen interest in 50s, 60s and 70s parafernalia recently sent me two GP postcards of the time, one of Gurney's Eagle at the start of the 1967 Monaco GP (with a nice advertisement hoarding of Ignis Refrigirateurs in the background) and of Guy Edwards in the Embassy Lola T370, also at Monaco.

The colours on them! It's just like those days were never real...

#3 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,830 posts

Posted 17 October 2001 - 07:02

Well, the F1 retro website has an article on the "spanish collectors series" (http://retro.domainvalet.com/serie.htm of which I have a few at home. An aunt used to send some if I was in hospital when I was young (and that happened quite a few times :( ). But hey, I'm allright now:D and it left me with some great postcards.
Apart from this, probably every museum on cars or racing sells postcards, which are a nice souvenir and sometimes show some unique memories.

#4 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,704 posts

Posted 17 October 2001 - 09:18

I've got a set of playing cards ( for playing top trumps - probably a UK only type game ) featuring cars from various formulae in the 70's.

#5 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,830 posts

Posted 17 October 2001 - 09:56

Originally posted by LittleChris
I've got a set of playing cards ( for playing top trumps - probably a UK only type game ) featuring cars from various formulae in the 70's.

Chris, I think this game is particulary popular in Germany; I've bought a number of these playing cards over there in the past. Even nowadays they're still made, with current F1 cars for instance.
From the TNF point of view, these cards gives nice colour pictures, and mostly a few specifications of the car (but full of mistakes :rolleyes: ).
I've got quite a few sets on F1, Formula cars (F2, F3, FF, FSV, F5000, sportscars, indy etc, mostly from the 70's and 80's) and whenever I enter a toy shop, I always check if I can find such a game...

#6 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,704 posts

Posted 17 October 2001 - 10:21

Frank,

I agree, the pictures are nice ( My favourite is Ronnie in the March 711 ) and the text isn't particularly accurate. This is the only set that I've seen in the UK featuring racing cars, although I must say that I don't tend to go anywhere near shops ( Bookshops excluded ) unless I have to !!

Chris

#7 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,830 posts

Posted 17 October 2001 - 19:16

Just to show you where we're talking about (or to show off? :drunk: ), some examples from my collection:
Posted Image

of course, I keep "Renntourenwagen" under my pillow at night ;) . Concerning the inaccurate text: The Alfa Romeo Montreal (an interesting car, this was the first time I became aware of it) raced in the Nürburgring 1000 kms 1973, so I wouldn't call it a DRM car. It just never raced in the DRM.
But yes, a good placing at the 1000 kms could give you some extra points for the DRM championship...

#8 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 17 October 2001 - 21:53

Ahhh yes, those old "Quartetts"! I should still have some, although I often thought about dumping them, you know, childhood stuff! :) :reminiscing:

#9 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,362 posts

Posted 17 October 2001 - 22:07

Here are the details of the other motor racing postcards
that I have

1. Front cover of the programme for the "Grosser Preis
Von Berlin", held at AVUS on the 21st of September, 1958

2. Advertising picture for the 9th International Brooklands
500 race, organised by the British Racing Drivers Club.

3. Advertising picture for the "Grande Premio De Portugal".
held at the Oporto circuit on the 25th and 26th of June, 1955.

Would anyone have details of these 3 races?

I also have an interesting Coventry-Climax postcard,
showing 3 vehicles going through a corner. The first
vehicle is a circa 1960 Cooper-Climax, followed by a
forklift, and then a fire-pump. I think the purpose
of the card is to show how the Climax GP engines
was originally developed for use in industrial machinery
such as foklifts and fire-pumps.

#10 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 14,226 posts

Posted 17 October 2001 - 22:36

I've got some Nigel Mansell stamps & postcard from Isle of Man, about '86 I think

#11 jmp85

jmp85

• 59 posts

Posted 18 October 2001 - 05:13

would this fit the requirement?

Posted Image

Posted Image

it all comes from here: http://ida.nurburgri.../old/index9.htm

cheers, jmp85

#12 jessy

jessy

• 24 posts

Posted 18 October 2001 - 12:01

Hey jmp85, I like your photos... or cards ( How shall I call them?)
How old are they?

#13 jmp85

jmp85

• 59 posts

Posted 18 October 2001 - 16:34

i don't know for sure ;) i just found a website that carried them. but i can imagine that they were printed in the early 1970s... (the top one being more recent than the bottom one)

cheers, jmp85

#14 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,830 posts

Posted 19 October 2001 - 09:46

The top one is of 1973 origin (for sure the F1 picture, the Ford, BMW and Porsche);the other one is probably 1969 (look at the Lotus and McLaren, low wings, can't be 1970 since the German GP was at Hockenheim then), apart from the picture at the center of the bottom; looks like an Alfa TZ, that picture may be older (ca. 67?).

#15 Megatron

Megatron

• 3,688 posts

Posted 19 October 2001 - 10:16

It might suprise some, but I am HUGE collector of NASCAR postcards/autograph cards. I have around 6 or 7 thousand of them (I think), and a lot of them are autographed.

A few that stand out are the Dale Earnhardt Rookie card from 79, Gordon's Carolina Ford card from 91, a Tim Richmond from 82 with Stacy Pak, and almost all of the STP Richard Petty cards.

I recentley got the "Earnhardt VS Earnhardt" card from the Bud Shootout, so sad that they'll never get to do a card like that again. :(

#16 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,776 posts

Posted 19 October 2001 - 10:40

The F1 McLaren is Bruce himself at the 1969 German GP, but I'm confused by the Lotus - it appears to be Hill's car, but I don't think that's Graham behind the wheel as the LRC colours aren't showing on his helmet. Mario Andretti drove the Lotus 63 at that race, anyone know if he drove Graham's 49 in practice? The 63 broke twice in practice and Mario only managed four laps - wasn't there a rule that you had to complete at least 5 laps at the Ring to be allowed to start? And I don't think Mario had ever even seen the Ring before ...:eek: :)

#17 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 19 October 2001 - 15:11

The Lotus puzzles me also, doesn't look like GLTL colours to me...

#18 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,502 posts

Posted 19 October 2001 - 17:47

I can't find any reference to Andretti trrying a 49, and in any case he had his normal light coloured helmet. I suggest that it is Graham Hill and that he has his dark visor raised obscuring the LRC stripes.

#19 byrkus

byrkus

• 1,011 posts

Posted 19 October 2001 - 20:04

It could also be Jochen Rindt, he used black helmet at Montjuic; I don't know about 'Ring, though... :blush: :blush:

Advertisement

#20 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 20 October 2001 - 08:46

I don't think Rindt ever used a full-face helmet before 1970.

#21 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,502 posts

Posted 20 October 2001 - 10:26

Originally posted by fines
I don't think Rindt ever used a full-face helmet before 1970.

Rindt wore a full-face helmet at Zandvoort in 1969, the famous white one with $pace to let, but not at the Nurburgring.

THere is another driver of a red Lotus 49 at that race, Jo Bonnier. I don't know what colour helmet he was using at the time. I can't think that he would have been in a car with Hill's number on it.

One further point is that in the race Hill's car did not have the Autolite decal by the front windscreen. I still think it's him though.

#22 VDP

VDP

• 666 posts

Posted 20 October 2001 - 14:06

Just behind the alfa Tz is U Norinder Ferrari 250 GTO
could be 1965 or 1966

The Porsche 908/2 is the car from
Siffert - Redman at the ring in 1969

Robert

#23 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,482 posts

Posted 20 October 2001 - 16:50

Not postcards but rather cigarette cards. I have some of them on my website. Just bought a few more that I'll post. On the back they mention an album that you can buy for the lofty price of one penny!

Posted Image

http://www.ddavid.co..._races_1931.htm

#24 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 23 October 2001 - 19:45

I'm sure that it's Graham Hill in the 49 pic.

#25 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,362 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 21:02

I received in the mail yesterday a postcard showing the Summers Brothers "Goldenrod" Land Speed
Record car on the Bonneville Salt Flats, with Bob Summers standing behind the car.
On November 12 1965, Summers drove "Goldenrod" to a new "wheel driven" Land Speed Record of 409.277,
which I believe is still the record for this type of vehicle.
The photo that is the basis for the postcard must be a publicity
shot, as it has "Best Wishes Bob Summer" on it.

#26 Lotus23

Lotus23

• 1,006 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 01:00

Several years ago, I purchased a 1917 postcard in an Indiana antique shop. It depicted "Indianapolis Motor Speedway, The greatest in the world." I'm not sure the artist who drew the picture actually ever laid his eyes on IMS, but it's interesting nonetheless!

Graham, I got to lay hands on "Goldenrod" at the Riverside Can-Am in the fall of 66 -- on open display in the infield there. I'm sure she must be in a museum somewhere now.

#27 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,362 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 01:14

Lotus 23,
Goldenrod is an amazing vehicle - ir looks like a pencil on wheels!
I forgot to put the full speed in my original post - it should read 409.277 mph.

#28 Zawed

Zawed

• 4,500 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 10:36

My brother just sent me a postcard of JV celebrating his win at the Brickyard in 1995. He went to the circuit on a recent trip there.

#29 dmj

dmj

• 2,250 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 12:12

Originally posted by Graham Clayton
Lotus 23,
Goldenrod is an amazing vehicle - ir looks like a pencil on wheels!
I forgot to put the full speed in my original post - it should read 409.277 mph.

See this link: http://www.ugofadini.com/lsrwdold.html It doesn't say anything on Goldenroad present whereabouts but I am pretty sure it is still in Bob Summers' property, supposedly he would even try to regain his record (with same vehicle!) if someone would break it! IIRC it is meanwhile displayed in a museum in Toronto?

#30 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 14,226 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 13:12

That reminds me, my sister sent me one from the Brickyard when she went to the first indy GP, with a picture from the NASCAr race.

I must also dig my Top Trump cards out of the loft.

#31 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:46

Would like to bump this thread in hopes of adding more postcards.

Thanks to all!

Henry :wave:

This is a wonderful site that goes far beyond our passion.

http://dc.lib.unc.ed...ISOBOX=1&REC=19

#32 taylov

taylov

• 624 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 13:10

Henry, as seen in the Dorothy Levitt thread and as requested here - Mr J Hutton in his Mercedes at the 1905 Brighton Motor Trials -(the event is still running - well it was in 2008). More to follow. Tony.

Posted Image

#33 taylov

taylov

• 624 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 13:55

Two from the Isle of Man trials -

1904 - Mr Earp's crash in the Napier E61 during the Douglas Promenade speed trial.

Posted Image

1905 - Mr S Girling in the Siddeley. The message on the postcard reads - "This car is just about to start at 3.20."

Posted Image

I'll post some more over the next few days if anyone wants to see more from the collection.

Tony

#34 bigears

bigears

• 973 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 16:51

I got a fair few from the Birmingham Superprix. I will try to find some time to scan it and put it up here.

#35 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 18:03

They have nice postcards at le Musee de l'Automobile near Mougins (06), France.
Last Summer I bought some featuring a Benz and a Mors, IIRC

#36 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 18:26

Reference the above, sadly the motor museum has closed its doors. I normally took a stand at their "boot Sale" days but sadly they are no more. A good number of the cars were loaned to Mr Maeght but I believe there will be an auction of some of the memorabilia etc. I am keeping a look out and will advise.

#37 Leigh Trevail

Leigh Trevail

• 553 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 18:32

Posted Image

In the early seventies the Cornish Match Company issued a series of eighteen different matchboxes; showing racing cars from the 1904 Renualt to the 1970 B.R.M. The top portion was overprinted with different adverts, these are for Lavells newsagents.

Somewhere; I have matchbooks for Gold Leaf and Embassy cigarettes showing the appropriate cars.

Posted Image

#38 taylov

taylov

• 624 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 18:34

I'm still in 1905. this time at Blackpool for the speed trials the week after Brighton.

The original V-8 dragster - the "200 HP" Darracq of Algernon Lee Guinness which was expected to set a new land speed record at Blackpool, but only reached 88.7 mph and was beaten by Clifford Earp's 94.7 mph in the Napier. The car was later clocked at 121mph.

Posted Image

Tony

#39 taylov

taylov

• 624 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 18:51

Back to 1903 for Paris-Madrid road race.

Tony

Posted Image

Advertisement

#40 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 20:32

Originally posted by Graham Gauld
Reference the above, sadly the motor museum has closed its doors. I normally took a stand at their "boot Sale" days but sadly they are no more. A good number of the cars were loaned to Mr Maeght but I believe there will be an auction of some of the memorabilia etc. I am keeping a look out and will advise.

Sad news...

Yes please do tell us when they are auctioning their stuff, I had bought there a nice Avions Voisin badge and some nice Amilcar and Ballot catalogues too.
I should be in the area around the end of March. Thanks! :up:

#41 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 22:53

Somewhere I have a 1992 book comprising 30 postcards (by Royle) of Michael Turner paintings bound into a book.

#42 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:52

My maternal grandfather was a photographer, printing his own work as many did in his era: 19-teens and twenties. Apparently the heavy, postcard-size paper was popular and economical. Many of his works are on stock with postcard-appropriate address, return address, and stamp locations marked on the non-picture side. Among the images in an album he left my mother are several from the Johnstown Flood. No auto racing.

This one was an eBaY find:

Posted Image (364K)

In this big view you may be able to identify some of the cars or spectators. Based on car order and arrangement and the flagmen's attitude I don't see this as a competitive lap, more like parade or warmup. Shadows show the sun is far enough south for October-November, too late in the day for practice.

#43 taylov

taylov

• 624 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:50

3 more from the 1903 Paris-Madrid. Sorry about the size variation - the Imageshack settings are all the same. Tony

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#44 taylov

taylov

• 624 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 14:24

Can any American historians help identify this postcard please? The driver appears to be standing by the rear wheel. The car is tangled up in "barbed-wire"

There are no publishers details except for a number "14216" on the rear. The standard "Domestic and Canada one cent" is detailed on the space for the stamp. The phrase "Accidents will happen" is printed on the lower front of the card.

Such a good photo must have appeared somewhere. Tony

Posted Image

#45 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 21:43

Originally posted by Graham Gauld

O/T. That is a great shame. They always had a useful range of cars etc on display, and M le Directeur was such a charming and helpful man.

Who will now take care of the Guidobaldi, I wonder? The family were glad to be rid of it after Monsieur G. died in the early 1980s, and the museum rebuilt it. It is something which should be cherished for its sheer oddness.
http://forums.autosp...y=&pagenumber=2
post 46 picture refers. A BB Search brings up several thread references
Roger Lund
Guidobaldi fan no 1.

#46 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 22:01

Tony, thanks for taking the time to share these wonderful images! :up:

#47 taylov

taylov

• 624 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 23:26

Originally posted by HistoricMustang
Tony, thanks for taking the time to share these wonderful images! :up:

Thanks, Henry.

A couple of the Gods for you tonight - Thery (1905) and Nazzaro (1913). Enjoy.

Tony.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#48 taylov

taylov

• 624 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 18:32

Back to the early days for these first two - Edge 1901 Paris-Bordeaux and Rigoly (sic) described as Paris-Vienna, 1902.

Posted Image

Posted Image

One of my favourites from the 1903 Paris-Madrid - the "winner", Gabriel photographed at Libourne

Posted Image

Tony

#49 Hse289

Hse289

• 665 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 17:31

Here`s one i have, my uncle gave me it years ago. Anyone ever seen one like it?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#50 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 18:35

Here`s one i have, my uncle gave me it years ago. Anyone ever seen one like it?

Yes, I have the same card which was issued by Champion, but mine has room on the reverse to write a message. It is a great photo and is one of the official Indy pics. I think I picked mine up at the 1967 Racing Car Show, where a T90 was on display.