Where to sit at the US Grand Prix

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_White

Mr_White

• 14 posts

Posted 22 February 2002 - 17:04

Hi, all!

I need recommendations on the best seating (see the attached map). My objectives are to be able to see the start/finish straight and turn1 (T1 on the map). Anything more would be a bonus! I'm thinking about section C, Tower terrace, Paddock box or penthouse, or the NW Vista. Unfortunately sections H and J have are sold off. Also would I be better off in a box or penthouse? Money is not an issue in selecting a spot. Please take a look at the attached map and let me know what you guys think. Your help is appreciated!

Thanks, :)

MrW

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 Mrv

Mrv

• 6,416 posts

Posted 22 February 2002 - 17:09

Stand J or H are the best seats at Indy.

#3 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,609 posts

Posted 22 February 2002 - 18:21

We have section B - directly across from the Ferrari pit and 2 huge projection screens! I have sat virtually everywhere there but I find turn 1 of the 500 track by far the best.

Actually the map is off. Stretch Section Be over - half way on top of A and that will give u a better idea of where you're sitting.

#4 benn5325

benn5325

• 1,677 posts

Posted 22 February 2002 - 18:27

Paddock, A or B, but up high. Been to both GPs and finally got to the Paddock Penthouse Row A for this year, right over the start finish line. It's going to be awsome. It's also cool watching them pit and do their practice starts at pit out. Have sat in penthouse E for qualifying sessions which is also pretty cool

#5 DREW

DREW

• 462 posts

Posted 22 February 2002 - 18:44

You can see a LOT of the track from the NW vista...turns 13 thru 7, and you have a Jumbotron.

DREW

#6 SalutGilles

SalutGilles

• 2,149 posts

Posted 22 February 2002 - 19:08

Hell, I sat inside turn 13, and it sucked, but the ticket was $45, and I ended up just walking around for about half of the race. Great views from inside the track, over by turn 6, and braking into 8. I even wound up walking under the S/F line, and found myself standing right across form the podium when Mika won. Even as a big MS fan, it was really great to see...

point is, I'd just get the $30 general admission tix, and see a little bit of everything...

#7 CONOSUR

CONOSUR

• 10,647 posts

Posted 22 February 2002 - 19:14

I'm in B Penthouse right across from the Ferrari pits (probably right above you, aportinga :wave: ). From upstairs you can see most of the track plus we have 2 jumbotrons. As for what you asked about, since H and J are sold out, I'd suggest NW Vista (T13-T7) or Tower Terrace (very top row only - all the way to the north end - so you can see T1-T7).

:smoking:

#8 Mrv

Mrv

• 6,416 posts

Posted 22 February 2002 - 20:28

Originally posted by Mr_White
Hi, all!

I need recommendations on the best seating (see the attached map). My objectives are to be able to see the start/finish straight and turn1 (T1 on the map). Anything more would be a bonus! I'm thinking about section C, Tower terrace, Paddock box or penthouse, or the NW Vista. Unfortunately sections H and J have are sold off. Also would I be better off in a box or penthouse? Money is not an issue in selecting a spot. Please take a look at the attached map and let me know what you guys think. Your help is appreciated!

Thanks, :)

MrW

Posted Image

What ever you decide don't buy your tickets from the speedway. Thousand of tickets are available on the street as these people have all the best seats. I found that out. J and H were available right up to race day.

#9 Mr_White

Mr_White

• 14 posts

Posted 22 February 2002 - 20:49

Thanks all for your advice! I think I'm gonna get Paddock penthouse seats. Mrv, I'm sure you are right, but I'm the conservative and lazy type - I'd rather have the tickets in my pocket now than worry about finding a good spot right before the race, so spending a few extra bucks now is worth it from my perspective. From the looks of it from a Paddock penthouse I'll be able to see the start and finish, pit action, and possibly T13 and T1. Please shout soon, if I'm totally off base on the above assumption. By the way, do you get drinks and food at the penthouse?

Thanks again,

MrW :up:

#10 G8R_Sackmasters

G8R_Sackmasters

• 221 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 16:33

I have tix in the SE Vista. I was wondering how high the rows go? Mine is QQ? How high do they go up?

#11 F1Rulz

F1Rulz

• 351 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 18:44

That's almost to the top (if not the top row). We were in row MM the first year. you should be able to see 11, 12, 13. End of Hulman Blvd, and a couple of coners in the hairpin complex (can't quite see all of it) due to trees/other obstructions. Should be good for the race. Make sure you wander around the other days. H, J stands and infiled are good locations. Some really like the "Penthouse" seats (I've never had the energy to hike all the way up there after all the walking we typically do... maybe this year).

#12 CONOSUR

CONOSUR

• 10,647 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 21:26

Thanks all for your advice! I think I'm gonna get Paddock penthouse seats. Mrv, I'm sure you are right, but I'm the conservative and lazy type - I'd rather have the tickets in my pocket now than worry about finding a good spot right before the race, so spending a few extra bucks now is worth it from my perspective. From the looks of it from a Paddock penthouse I'll be able to see the start and finish, pit action, and possibly T13 and T1. Please shout soon, if I'm totally off base on the above assumption. By the way, do you get drinks and food at the penthouse?

Thanks again,

The Penthouse just means upstairs. There's nothing deluxe about it. There are food and beverage concessions upstairs, so access is easy. You are allowed to take in coolers of anything (food, drink, anything) as long as there's no glass. As for view, Paddock is just about the only area I haven't explored yet.

:smoking:

#13 lgbalch

lgbalch

• 76 posts

Posted 27 February 2002 - 17:52

From the looks of it from a Paddock penthouse I'll be able to see the start and finish, pit action, and possibly T13 and T1.

Judging from what we see in B Penthouse, and from moving around a bit on Friday and Saturday, you are spot on. You'll see passes starting in T1, but for their outcome you'll have to switch to one of the 2 Jumbotrons you should be able to see.

I note that the Jumbotrons vary in quality. On some of them, text is difficult to read, but easier on others. The clearest one I've seen for such detail is visible from H and J sections.

#14 rileyf1

rileyf1

• 20 posts

Posted 06 March 2002 - 05:25

Originally posted by benn5325
Paddock, A or B, but up high. Been to both GPs and finally got to the Paddock Penthouse Row A for this year, right over the start finish line. It's going to be awsome. It's also cool watching them pit and do their practice starts at pit out. Have sat in penthouse E for qualifying sessions which is also pretty cool

I wondered about the Penthouse area? By the time we sent away for our tickets most of the good seats were gone! This year we are in the Paddock Box sec B row T. Is this Ok??? I was told it is by the start finish/line. My one one concern is will be high enough up to see into the pits?

Any insight you have would be great!

#15 ladyf1usa

ladyf1usa

• 43 posts

Posted 06 March 2002 - 17:04

Originally posted by rileyf1

I wondered about the Penthouse area? By the time we sent away for our tickets most of the good seats were gone! This year we are in the Paddock Box sec B row T. Is this Ok??? I was told it is by the start finish/line. My one one concern is will be high enough up to see into the pits?

Any insight you have would be great!

Hello please not I switched my name from riley f1 to ladyf1usa. I am still hoping someone will be able to provide me with answers to the questions I posted above as rileyf1. thanks so much!

#16 Mr_White

Mr_White

• 14 posts

Posted 09 March 2002 - 04:05

Got tickets in Paddock Penthouse, section B21, row H. Hope I scored good ones! Cheers to a good race!

MrW

#17 ladyf1usa

ladyf1usa

• 43 posts

Posted 10 March 2002 - 05:03

Got tickets in Paddock Penthouse, section B21, row H. Hope I scored good ones! Cheers to a good race!

MrW

:confused: Hey how did you manage that??? When did you buy your tickets? Just curious, becaues I contacted Indy a couple of months ago and they told me those tickers were sold out :

#18 Mr_White

Mr_White

• 14 posts

Posted 10 March 2002 - 17:18

That's surprising! I just filled in the ticket-ordering form and the paddock penthouse seats were shown as still available. I mailed the form about a couple of weeks ago and got confirmation for those seats last Friday. They'll mail the tickets some time in August. Maybe you should give the Indy Motorspeedway a call and ask them about it. Good luck!

#19 ladyf1usa

ladyf1usa

• 43 posts

Posted 10 March 2002 - 17:26

That's surprising! I just filled in the ticket-ordering form and the paddock penthouse seats were shown as still available. I mailed the form about a couple of weeks ago and got confirmation for those seats last Friday. They'll mail the tickets some time in August. Maybe you should give the Indy Motorspeedway a call and ask them about it. Good luck!

I will, that really steams me!! :mad: Happy fo you however! ;)