Photo

End of an era / Start of a new one

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,737 posts

Posted 22 June 2002 - 23:43

I was wondering whether anyone else can pinpoint year a that to them signalled the end of an era / start of a new one ?

For me it’s 1978 for the following reasons

Ronnie Petersons death.

The introduction of ‘ true’ ground effect ie with skirts that provided a proper seal with the ground and thus the siting of fuel tanks behind the driver , so cutting down the number of fires

The last race on the old Spa

Effectively a privateer team ( Theodore ) win a race ( International Trophy at Silverstone ) thanks to Keke Rosberg, but more down to the stars falling off !!

BBC finally give some coverage to the full GP season

Rouen Les Essarts hosts its last International race ( F2 ) but thankfully would survive for another 15 years as a venue.

Chris

Advertisement

#2 oldtimer

oldtimer

• 1,291 posts

Posted 22 June 2002 - 23:51

When the powers that be at MotorSport elbowed DSJ aside. But I hear hints that that was more of a process than a sudden event.

#3 Liam

Liam

• 504 posts

Posted 23 June 2002 - 00:21

May 1's 1994, the end of the era of the 80's greats, Senna Prost, Mansell et al, and the start of Shumi v the rest.

I know Mansell returned, but that was different, and I know the process had been in motion for a few years as they retired, but May 1st marks the real end of the era.

(Pesky kid, 1994, far too modern for TNF :) )

#4 cabianca

cabianca

• 712 posts

Posted 23 June 2002 - 00:26

1958. When Moss won Argentina in a Cooper-Climax, the writing was on the wall. The old guard, in the form of Hawthorn's front-engined Ferrari 246 Dino, carried the day, year and championship, but from then on GP racing belonged to what Ferrari himself called the "garagisti", guys who welded up chassis in shops approximating (and in some cases were) garages while buying motors elsewhere. Isn't it neat that some people have still been able to win GPs with cars completely made by the manufacturer. Can Toyota be next?

#5 JohnS

JohnS

• 295 posts

Posted 23 June 2002 - 07:52

1967 - the last year without wings and things, and also the last year without sponsorship on cars.

John

#6 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,925 posts

Posted 23 June 2002 - 22:13

April 7th 1968. No more to be said.

November 29th 1975. Ditto.

#7 Viss1

Viss1

• 9,414 posts

Posted 24 June 2002 - 14:49

Originally posted by Liam
May 1's 1994, the end of the era of the 80's greats, Senna Prost, Mansell et al, and the start of Shumi v the rest.

:up: History will undoubtedly mark the '94-'96 period as the changing of the guard; one group of big names exchanged for the next.

I suppose "driver eras" would have to be separated from "car eras," although in most cases the two would be linked.

#8 No27

No27

• 1,254 posts

Posted 24 June 2002 - 17:27

Originally posted by Liam

Agree on that, and that era still goes on! The day Michael Schumacher retires will be the start of a new era: to be called the Years-after.

#9 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 15:19

October 31, 1999, the last race of Damon Hill. He was the last top racing driver I could respect as a human being. I was wishing for Alex Zanardi to be competitive, to follow in his footsteps, but it was not to be. For me that was the end of my interest in F1, although it took almost a couple of years to understand it myself. Now I've decided to make that year a cut-off point in my research projects, just like Hans did with 1949. The current racing scene is just... well, isn't it Formula Yawn by now?

#10 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,617 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 15:38

I'd say that the most recent era was 94 as well but before May 1st 1994. Schumacher was killing everyone that season ... long before the carnival rolled into Imola that weekend.

#11 dmj

dmj

• 2,253 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 15:46

Originally posted by aportinga
I'd say that the most recent era was 94 as well but before May 1st 1994. Schumacher was killing everyone that season ... long before the carnival rolled into Imola that weekend.

Not exactly... Wasn't Senna better in qualifying and lost to MS only with failing to finish races?

#12 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,617 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 16:08

Alot of drivers have been better in qualifying then Schumacher though - and Senna was the best in this regard hands down.... Therefore I personally cannot utilize that aspect as a fair means to determine who was the better driver.

Gotta admit that Michael Schumacher looked pretty damn good in 1993 - even better in 1994. Stable and consistant driver. It was over (IMO) before Imola.

#13 luisfelipetrigo

luisfelipetrigo

• 660 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 16:19

Originally posted by JohnS
1967 - the last year without wings and things, and also the last year without sponsorship on cars.

John

I second this one. :up:
There might be others but to me this is the most significant and with the most impact.

#14 luisfelipetrigo

luisfelipetrigo

• 660 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 16:27

Originally posted by Vitesse2
April 7th 1968. No more to be said.

November 29th 1975. Ditto.

- Jim Clark :( :cry:
- Graham Hill :( :cry:
- Tony Brise :( :cry:

#15 luisfelipetrigo

luisfelipetrigo

• 660 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 16:33

Originally posted by dmj
Not exactly... Wasn't Senna better in qualifying and lost to MS only with failing to finish races?

Which in my view is what Aportinga meant when he said that MS was killing everybody ...
The purpose in this business is to be first accross the finish line ... that is the only 'bottom line', all else is secondary.

#16 oldtimer

oldtimer

• 1,291 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 19:47

Originally posted by aportinga

Gotta admit that Michael Schumacher looked pretty damn good in 1993 - even better in 1994. Stable and consistant driver. It was over (IMO) before Imola.

He was also looking pretty damn good at Spa in 1992, when he out-diddled the big names in changing road conditions. And damn fast up the hill out of Eau Rouge with only a Ford engine behind him.

#17 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,727 posts

Posted 25 June 2002 - 22:33

It is easier to draw distinctions about the end of eras than the dawn of new ones. New eras, just seem to evolve and creep up on the spectator, while the ending of eras just seem to stand out as they often accompany the demise or retirement of great men.

While some have mentioned the loss of great drivers, and great characters that they were, The drivers are more a part of that transition. Not to lessen their feats of greatness, nor diminish their character, I think that eras are more defined by those men who shaped the racing as a whole, and their impact upon Grand Prix Racing emanated from their visions and efforts.

Men like, Enzo Ferrari, a fierce competitor, who saw the value of racing as the ultimate PR for his sports cars, Colin Chapman, who's engineering greatness was to set precedents for all that followed, and Ken Tyrrell, who embodied all that was great about Formula 1. When Uncle Ken retired, I really felt that that entire era had gone. And when he died, I was truly saddened, because his character that was so much a part of the Grand Prix and F1 scene was lost and probably won't ever be replaced.

Also, the ruling visionaries like Balestra and Ecclestone, for better or worse, shaped the series, improved safety and created fame and fortune for many.

#18 RSNS

RSNS

• 1,521 posts

Posted 26 June 2002 - 00:09

About every major change of formula was an era. But the beacons I suggest are; power charging; the post war; mid engines and British domination; aerofoils and wings; ground effect; turbo charging. Perhaps the Mosley decisions are not an era but just an impertinence.