Photo

Crashed Lola at Nürburgring '69

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 26 June 2002 - 15:52

Can someone possibly tell us, who crashed this Lola at the '69 Nürburgring 1000km?
The driver was apparently not seriously hurt, despite the write-off.

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 26 June 2002 - 17:53

I'm impressed that you knew it was a Lola!

#3 Udo K.

Udo K.

• 655 posts

Posted 26 June 2002 - 18:00

The No. 60 Lola T70 of Troberg/Rothstein crashed in practice.

#4 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 26 June 2002 - 19:24

Yes, Udo it seems that this is the Troberg Lola T70. I got a mail from Ingvar Sjögren in Uppsala, Sweden and it seems that the remains are still in possession of Picko Troberg. But it also seems like someone has 'borrowed' the identity of this particular car because it also exists as an restoration in England. :

So here we are again on this much discussed topic.

#5 biercemountain

biercemountain

• 1,014 posts

Posted 26 June 2002 - 19:42

That's about the saddest Lola T70 I've ever seen. Thankfully the driver wasn't hurt too bad. That would make it even sadder. :eek:

#6 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,550 posts

Posted 26 June 2002 - 21:29

Good to know that the driver wasn't badly hurt but this fact begs the question, WHY wasn't he badly hurt? It certainly looks as though he should have been.

#7 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,392 posts

Posted 26 June 2002 - 22:36

Like many pics of crashed cars, this has been taken after the gathering up of sundry bits and pieces, and many of these have simply been piled on top of the chassis... making it all look much worse than it really is. Mind you, it does seem that the tub is bent.

Belts were in use in 1969...

And now you start a witch hunt for the identity of the reconstruction? Probably not hard to find, either, Lola's records would soon show the chassis number for this one...

#8 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 27 June 2002 - 00:46

SL76/148
Completed 12 March 1969. Gearbox no. LG600-184. Sold to Picko Troberg via Jo Bonnier with 304-011 Traco-Chevrolet.

June 1. Nurburgring 1000kms. Crashed badly by Bjorn Rothstein. To factory for rebuild in August which took 6 weeks (re-chassised).

Sold to Barrie Smith

John Starkey -- Lola T70

#9 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,547 posts

Posted 27 June 2002 - 23:03

You know that when you're young and keen, occasionally you hear yourself saying words that some part of your brain knows you should not say - and then suddenly it's all been said and you just want the ground to open and swallow you up? Well I had one of those gut-wrenching moments in the Nurburgring paddock that day when we found Picko Torberg and asked what had happened, just after the remains had been brought back to his assigned lock-up garage in a body bag. I heard myself saying "Right, next race in a week's time/two weeks time, are you getting another one to replace this wreck, it's totally smashed isn't it?"

Sensitivity was my middle name...

DCN