Auto-Motor-Sport Zeitschr

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 The Runner

The Runner

• 48 posts

Posted 28 June 2002 - 05:11

Just wanted to ask you all, is it worth picking up old copies of this German publication for photos, you know is it the German equivalent of Autosport!

In fact what are the names of the Autosport equivalents in Europe?

Advertisement

#2 hil-nice

hil-nice

• 17 posts

Posted 28 June 2002 - 08:57

In Italy : Autosprint

In France : Auto Hebdo

#3 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,830 posts

Posted 28 June 2002 - 09:24

AMS is a general interest magazine, it has a limited sport section. But every F1 GP is covered, and some of the big international or national races, like DRM/DTM, Indy 500, Le Mans etc. Sometimes even track tests of racing cars occurred, especially in the 70's.
The alternative to Autosport would be either the swiss motorsport aktuell, a tabloid; or, for color pictures, Sport Auto or the deceased Rallye racing.

#4 The Runner

The Runner

• 48 posts

Posted 28 June 2002 - 09:44

thankyou very much :wave:

#5 Egon Thurner

Egon Thurner

• 305 posts

Posted 28 June 2002 - 10:02

Originally posted by The Runner
Just wanted to ask you all, is it worth picking up old copies of this German publication for photos, you know is it the German equivalent of Autosport!

The answer to both questions is: no

#6 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 28 June 2002 - 18:00

It is certainly NOT the German equivalent of AUTOSPORT, but I have several hundred copies from the fourties to the sixties, and there is some interesting content innit. The photos, however, are all in black and white (or rather, brown and yellow by now :).

#7 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 28 June 2002 - 23:45

As a teenager I used to subscribe to AUTO MOTOR und sport since around 1952. The money came out of my modest allowance. This magazine reported about sport or actually racing always in a dissatisfying manner as far as I was concerned and specific magazines about motor sport were not yet around in Germany at this time. The racing photos were O. K. but they did not come on glossy paper.

My friend always told me to keep the stacks of old magazines because they would be worth a lot of money one day. But when I emigrated to South Africa in 1963, I chucked the whole lot. Of course I regret that now - could have rescued at least the racing articles and saved only very few clippings.

#8 bergwerk

bergwerk

• 869 posts

Posted 29 June 2002 - 01:06

Auto Motor und Sport is the bible of car magazines in Germany. While very light on the Sport part, it is a very serious paper that conducts the most extensive and expert testing of cars and reports about them without fear of the advertiser's feelings.

At some point they discovered that some German manufacturer had given them cars for testing purposes that had been massaged to perform above the norm. They discovered it and reported about it. The repercussions throughout the industry were significant.

Soon after that, AMS started buying their test cars from randomly selected dealers. That's called putting your money where your mouth is.

In contrast, when I moved to the US I was shocked to witness the fall of the editor of Car and Driver magazine who had commited the sin of reporting that a certain Toyota car was a subpar performer. The good folks at Toyota made the necessary calls and the man was soon gone.

While I no longer read AMS (heck they write about cars that will only make me salivate in the US) I believe that they still adhere to their journalistic integrity and thouroughness of testing.