Photo

Does the Ferrari 312T4 still own an all-time record, being...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,929 posts

Posted 10 July 2002 - 08:06

Hi everyone,

In the poll for the most beautifull Ferrari ever (I left a message in that too) the 312T4 was mentioned too. Of course one of the more `discussable`Ferrari's when it comes too looks.

But according me, the T4 still owns one record in F1 that no other F1 car, even more successful cars ever managed to equal or better!
(and let's face it, the T4 was a successful car with a record to envy. Circumstances helped it for sure but it was in a position to be successfull: and it was)

The T4 scored a double victory (Gilles beating Jody) in its first two races of its carreer. I can't recall any other car introduced in 1980 or later that equalled that fact. Not even the highly successful McLarens or Williams cars of the 80's and 90's did something similar as far as I remember. Some socred more victories in a in a row since their debut race but as far as I remember, few of the dominating Williams and McLaren's opened their account with a double, the only one I can remember is the 1998 McLaren. (That race that Coulthart have to give back to Mika in Australia)

Maybe there are older F1 cars that did the trick but I can't think about one right now.
So here's my request to the stat buff's among us.

Since F1 was introduced in 1950, is there any other F1 car that was newly designed and introduuced and won its first two races with a double victory? And let's exclude the Alfetta's and Ferrari 500 from this list because they were already exisiting when they became F1 eligible.
Let's also exclude úpdated`exisiting cars 158/159 or "B" versions.

So: Is the 312T4 still a record holder?

Thanks!

greetings,

Henri Greuter

Advertisement

#2 BRG

BRG

• 25,972 posts

Posted 10 July 2002 - 11:26

I don't understand why you are excluding McLaren's 1st and 2nd places in the first two races of 1998?

#3 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,929 posts

Posted 10 July 2002 - 13:21

Hi BRG,

I didn't remember the second 1998 race anymore, didn't know anymore that this race was another McLaren double following that double in Australia.
Thanks for reminding me, that's one question answered.

I do know that doubles for brand new cars are rare, More cars won their first race, following it up with a double. The three I know out of the top of my head are the Lotus 79 (1978), Ligier JS11 (1979), McLaren MP4/2 (1984) and I won't be surprised if the MP4/4 of 1988 did the same. Likely more cars achieved this feat.
But first two races being doubles, now thats a rare achievement for sure. I only remembered the T4 doing it and that's why I asked about it.

Henri

#4 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,929 posts

Posted 10 July 2002 - 13:26

Ooops...

About debut race winning cars: I mentioned the Lotus '79 but that's not correct. it won its first race, but there was only one entered, for Mario. So the 79 must be scratched.
Of course, the '02 F2002 did the same as the Lotus 79, Michael winning its debut race with the only car entered, then a double in the second race.

Henri

#5 mikedeering

mikedeering

• 3,522 posts

Posted 10 July 2002 - 13:28

The Lotus 79 - I am pretty sure only Andretti had one on its debut at Zolder in 1978 - Ronnie was still in the old 78. So it couldn't have achieved a 1-2 on is debut! It did however win its first race, and get a 1-2 in the second so...still a 100% record.

Same with The F2002 - Only Schuey had one at Interlagos and won. At the next race, when two F2002s were available, Ferrari finished 1-2 - so another 100% record...

#6 biercemountain

biercemountain

• 1,014 posts

Posted 10 July 2002 - 13:46

Didn't the Walter Wolf WR1 win it's first race? As far as I'm concerned that's an incredible feat. A new team with a new car beating the likes of Ferrari and McLaren straight out of the box. Amazing. :clap: