• 12,351 posts

Posted 28 September 2002 - 10:58

Interesting article...

Fukuyama qualifies for race, but not respect
Japanese driver finds criticism instead of support from racing fans

By Tony Johns
Sep 24, 2002, 14:37 PST

Hideo "Joe" Fukuyama (CIA Stock Photo)
He financed his ride out of his own pocket, and so fans claimed he bought his way into the race.

He started last in the field thanks to NASCAR's provisional rules, yet he defied conventional wisdom by out-qualifying several full-time Winston Cup drivers in his first-ever Winston Cup oval race. But fans continue to maintain that the drivers who couldn't match his speed were more deserving of a starting spot.

His car featured a stirring message of solidarity on the hood -- a Japanese flag next to an American flag, with the words "Standing Together" in large print -- but his message was lost in the midst of a marketing-induced patriotic orgy and fans taking offense at the mere presence of his country's banner.

He overcame his age -- 47 years old -- and was simply following the friendly advice of his late acquaintance, Dale Earnhardt. But fans continue to criticize him as the beneficiary of special favors because of Toyota's impending arrival in NASCAR.

Middle-aged Japanese racer Hideo Fukuyama indulged himself by fulfilling a wish to go Winston Cup racing. He came to one of NASCAR's most difficult oval tracks with zero oval racing experience and only slightly more understanding of the English language and drove well enough to make the field. He drove a clean race and stayed out of the way, knowing how much he gave up to his competitors in terms of experience and equipment.

But all he came away with from the Monster Mile in Dover, Delaware was indifference, sniggering, and criticism from the fans and the media.

At the most generous level of opinion, Fukuyama has been compared with drivers like Buckshot Jones, Carl Long, or Shawna Robinson or any number of other drivers who have been little more than rolling roadblocks on the track. But these comparisons fall a little flat considering just how much experience in a stock car of any kind these drivers had over Fukuyama.

Of course, then the argument turns to his effect on the safety of his fellow competitors. By even being out there on the track, people have argued, Fukuyama was a hazard and unnecessarily put other drivers at risk. This argument, interestingly, has not come up in reference to Ward Burton or Jerry Nadeau, who wrecked in front of the field early on. Or Steve Park, who rammed Jeff Gordon and wrecked him when Gordon slowed to avoid a spin midway through the event -- the same Steve Park who is still fighting the effects of a major head injury suffered last year.

Bobby Labonte's "Let's Roll!" car, a symbol both of patriotism and bandwagon marketing (CIA Stock Photo)
There's no question that Hideo Fukuyama probably could have done a better job of picking when and where he would attempt to make his Winston Cup oval-track debut. Racing at the demanding Dover mile on a weekend where marketing companies were drowning already patriotic race fans in red-white-and-blue zeal, MBNA-branded American flags, and Action Performance "Let's Roll!" die-cast cars certainly seems like a bad idea for a 47-year-old Japanese rookie.

But considering all that he faced as obstacles, Fukuyama did a rather good job. A respectable job -- without taking advantage of any favors not available to any other driver (Brett Bodine missed the race because he ran out of provisionals, but even without provisionals Fukuyama beat him on speed... a fact that many of Hideo's detractors somehow fail to grasp).

Based on this rather encouraging run at Dover, Fukuyama will be back for a couple of more "spot starts" on the Cup tour this year. What this limited schedule will lead to is anyone's guess. Whether he deserves to even try to make the race will remain a subject of hot debate. But he'll be back anyway.

After all, this is America... and there's no law -- written or otherwise -- that prevents him from doing so.

© 2002 Racing Press, all rights reserved.

Advertisement

#2 biercemountain

biercemountain

• 1,014 posts

Posted 28 September 2002 - 11:39

After reading the post above, I've now got more respect for this Japanese fellow than I do many of the Winston Cup regulars. I won't even mention my opnion of the average NASCAR fan who have "dissed" him so bad. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Perhaps NASCAR should adopt the new tagline: "Racism on wheels"

#3 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 28 September 2002 - 11:48

Would be funny if Christian Fittipaldi could come in and blow them away :D .. unfortunately that won't happen though :

#4 baddog

baddog

• 29,768 posts

Posted 28 September 2002 - 11:55

god they make it sound like america is at war with japan or something instead of being one of its closest friends.

Shaun

#5 Flying Panda

Flying Panda

• 5,053 posts

Posted 28 September 2002 - 12:22

I hope Ross's sig is an accurate preminition.....

#6 StickShift

StickShift

• 5,386 posts

Posted 28 September 2002 - 13:56

If they're doing this for one Japanese driver, the fans will be raving mad when Toyota goes into Nascar!

#7 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 28 September 2002 - 14:22

"Would be funny if Christian Fittipaldi could come in and blow them away .. unfortunately that won't happen though "

somehow i doubt theyd LET it happen, but yes, i agree itd be a giggle

i was surprised someone didnt spin hideo out the first time he got lapped...

you know how nascar blokes are.... paying your 'doos' (dues in english) and all... not to mention its the good old american race series etc etc.

#8 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 29 September 2002 - 00:15

I wish this guy, who seems to be a real nice chap, well but he is over his head at the Winston Cup level. At the Dover race, he was lapped 23 laps into the race, lapped again at lap 49 and again at lap 90. He almost took out another driver coming out of the corner later in the event. He has only raced a few NASCAR races and has little oval experience. He needs to start at the Busch Grand National level like Christian Fittipaldi and prove himself there. At any rate, here is an interesting article on him: http://www.kansascit...rts/4118247.htm

BTW, I was at the Busch Grand National race today at Kansas Speedway and Christian Fittipaldi spun out in the middle of Turn 3 and crashed out on the third lap of the race. And in case you are wondering, he spun on his own accord. Nobody touched him and nobody was near him. I am somewhat perplexed why Richard Petty in putting him in his #44 Winston Cup car next year. Christian doesn't have enough stock car experience and it has showed thus far. Unless he makes big strides here in the next few weeks, he is simply not ready for Winston Cup next year. There are a number of guys in Busch Grand National who are better qualified than Fittipaldi and Fukuyama.

#9 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 29 September 2002 - 00:25

at the same time both Cup and Busch have their fare share of white american male dead weight

#10 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 29 September 2002 - 00:35

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld
at the same time both Cup and Busch have their fare share of white american male dead weight

But the vast majority of them, especially at the Winston Cup level, have proven themselves at one point or another in a lower NASCAR series. There will always be a few Busch Grand National drivers who are better than the bottom rung Winston Cup drivers, simply because they would rather be in a competitive ride in Busch with an opportunity to win races as opposed to struggling to fight for a top 20 finish every week in Cup. This same principal is why some CART drivers stay in CART rather than go to a backmarker team in F1.

#11 berge

berge

• 1,554 posts

Posted 29 September 2002 - 02:38

Originally posted by Spunout
because of Toyota's impending arrival in NASCAR.

pardon?

#12 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 29 September 2002 - 13:08

Toyota has been in the NASCAR Goody's Dash Series for several years now.

#13 TheD2JBug

TheD2JBug

• 1,507 posts

Posted 29 September 2002 - 13:43

dammit
Nascar :down:

he made the race on PACE! .. okay he was blackflagged in the race , but the reaction he got was disgusting. and I agree with Ross. And as for whether or not he deserved to be there a quick glance at the NASCAR points table sees the following .

71 -- Hideo Fukuyama 46 -3674 1 0 0 0 $44,275
72 -1 Scott Wimmer 43 -3677 1 0 0 0 $51,350
73 -1 Jason Small 40 -3680 1 0 0 0 $41,130
74 -1 Dave Marcis 37 -3683 1 0 0 0 $137,110
75 -1 Austin Cameron 37 -3683 1 0 0 0 $46,945
76 -1 Joe Varde 37 -3683 1 0 0 0 $37,610
77 -1 Randy Renfrow 34 -3686 1 0 0 0 $71,193
78 -1 Gary Bradberry 34 -3686 1 0 0 0 $40,399
79 -1 Stuart Kirby 34 -3686 1 0 0 0 $52,403
80 -1 Carl Long* 0 -3720 1 0 0 0 $86,413

no offense to these other guys .. but you see my point

so i don't see why one should signal hideo out unless it is a race issue , and if it is than anyone involved in this digusting display should take a long hard look. Let the guy bring it

Hideo Fukuyama big assed :up:

#14 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 29 September 2002 - 23:34

D2JBug,

Hideo didn't make it on pace. In order to do so, you have to be one of the 36 fastest qualifiers. He made it in on an owner provisional like six other drivers. There is nothing racist about the fans reactions because:

1) He bought the ride

2) He has only raced in two ovals races and three NASCAR stock car races his whole career. And he didn't do anything in any of those races to merit a race at the Winston Cup level. Busch Grand National level, yes but not Winston Cup.

3) Due to his lack of oval experience, his team owner had to petition NASCAR to allow him to race. And NASCAR is only allowing to race on track a mile or under at the Winston Cup level.

Here are his three NASCAR stock car races:

A NASCAR exhibition road race at Suzuka in 1996:

Qualified 18th but was spun accidentally by Wally Dallenbach Jr. during the race (Wally offered him a "peace" present before the race at Dover).

Source http://www.racingwes...story.php3/3241

A NASCAR Winston West oval race at Pikes Peak in 1998. (FYI: Winston West is three rungs below Winston Cup, under the Busch Grand National Series and The Craftsman Truck Series)

Qualified 30th, Finished 19th

A NASCAR Winston West oval race at Twin Motegi:

Qualified 21st, Finished 15th

Source: http://www.racingwes...rs/info.php/75/

So what has this guy proven to merit racing in the highest rung of stock car racing in the world?

He may have talent, and I believe he probably does, but this is what the NASCAR Busch Grand National is for. All the drivers who made the race on provisionals have proven themselves in Busch and/or Winston Cup. Just because he qualified better than 4 of the 46 drivers attempting to make the field doesn't necessarily mean he belongs in the race. Unlike road race qualifying, a driver is out on the track by themselves and the car is setup for a two lap run. It doesn't simulate race conditions at all.

Hideo deserves at shot at stock car racing but it is in the Busch Grand National level. Scott Wimmer, who was a phenom in the ASA stock car series, a recent winner in the Busch Grand National series and third in this year's BGN driver point standings, actually had a better qualifying speed than him and he was sent home because his car owner didn't have any provisionals. Wimmer along with a whole bunch of other Busch and Craftsman Truck series drivers are way more qualified than him. This explains why some people are upset that NASCAR bent over backwards to allow him to compete in the series.

#15 Buford

Buford

• 11,174 posts

Posted 29 September 2002 - 23:41

Nascar fans at many (though not all) races stand up and cheer en mass during crashes. What do you expect from this level of mentality? Bennie Parsons near the end of today's race was contending that well over half the fans at Nascar races were there to see crashes. His partner disagreed, but I was totally amazed Benny had the balls to tell it like it is on the official Nascar broadcast. Some Nascar fans are great people. At least half though are the kind of people who would do what this article reports happened to this Japanese man.

#16 TheD2JBug

TheD2JBug

• 1,507 posts

Posted 29 September 2002 - 23:48

Originally posted by Joe Fan
D2JBug,

Hideo didn't make it on pace. In order to do so, you have to be one of the 36 fastest qualifiers. He made it in on an owner provisional like six other drivers. There is nothing racist about the fans reactions because:

1) He bought the ride

2) He has only raced in two ovals races and three NASCAR stock car races his whole career. And he didn't do anything in any of those races to merit a race at the Winston Cup level. Busch Grand National level, yes but not Winston Cup.

3) Due to his lack of oval experience, his team owner had to petition NASCAR to allow him to race. And NASCAR is only allowing to race on track a mile or under at the Winston Cup level.

Here are his three NASCAR stock car races:

A NASCAR exhibition road race at Suzuka in 1996:

Qualified 18th but was spun accidentally by Wally Dallenbach Jr. during the race (Wally offered him a "peace" present before the race at Dover).

Source http://www.racingwes...story.php3/3241

A NASCAR Winston West oval race at Pikes Peak in 1998. (FYI: Winston West is three rungs below Winston Cup, under the Busch Grand National Series and The Craftsman Truck Series)

Qualified 30th, Finished 19th

A NASCAR Winston West oval race at Twin Motegi:

Qualified 21st, Finished 15th

Source: http://www.racingwes...rs/info.php/75/

So what has this guy proven to merit racing in the highest rung of stock car racing in the world?

He may have talent, and I believe he probably does, but this is what the NASCAR Busch Grand National is for. All the drivers who made the race on provisionals have proven themselves in Busch and/or Winston Cup. Just because he qualified better than 4 of the 46 drivers attempting to make the field doesn't necessarily mean he belongs in the race. Unlike road race qualifying, a driver is out on the track by themselves and the car is setup for a two lap run. It doesn't simulate race conditions at all.

Hideo deserves at shot at stock car racing but it is in the Busch Grand National level. Scott Wimmer, who was a phenom in the ASA stock car series, a recent winner in the Busch Grand National series and third in this year's BGN driver point standings, actually had a better qualifying speed than him and he was sent home because his car owner didn't have any provisionals. Wimmer along with a whole bunch of other Busch and Craftsman Truck series drivers are way more qualified than him. This explains why some people are upset that NASCAR bent over backwards to allow him to compete in the series.

according to nascar.com there were several drivers who also had provisionals that didn't make it .. if they were faster than Hideo then they would make it in .. so yes he did get in on pace . cause he was faster than the rest of those drivers , although yes he did barely make it in. and why single him out when accorfing to the points totals there seemed to be several entrants who have run poorer than Hideo. Therefore you either include these drivers in this list , or let up on Hideo. He got in according to the rules. These rules apply to everyone.

#17 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 29 September 2002 - 23:49

Originally posted by Buford
Nascar fans at many (though not all) races stand up and cheer en mass during crashes. What do you expect from this level of mentality? Bennie Parsons near the end of today's race was contending that well over half the fans at Nascar races were there to see crashes. His partner disagreed, but I was totally amazed Benny had the balls to tell it like it is on the official Nascar broadcast. Some Nascar fans are great people. At least half though are the kind of people who would do what this article reports happened to this Japanese man.

Buf,

What if an old past his prime American oval driver raced in two British F3 races with mediocre results, then bought a three race deal in F1 and allowed by Bernie Ecclestone to compete because the sport needed an American driver. Do you think the reaction would be any different here? :lol: This board would go apeshit with criticism and you know it.

#18 TheD2JBug

TheD2JBug

• 1,507 posts

Posted 29 September 2002 - 23:53

Buf,

What if an old past his prime American oval driver raced in two British F3 races with mediocre results, then bought a three race deal in F1 and allowed by Bernie Ecclestone to compete because the sport needed an American driver. Do you think the reaction would be any different here? :lol: This board would go apeshit with criticism and you know it.

right and said driver would have to qualify within 107% in F1 just like everyone else . Hideo didn't do anything different than several other drivers have in the past. why is it now everyone is whining .. the rest were white folks and Hideo is Japanese ?

lame argument ..

#19 Buford

Buford

• 11,174 posts

Posted 29 September 2002 - 23:58

I am not talking about this board. I am talking about public ridicule and abuse of a racer at the track not based on his on track performance, but his nationality. I have been personally bought out of a Nascar ride, one month before the 1980 Daytona 500, with the car already painted with my name on it, and after we had been practicing pit stops all winter. So I am no fan of ride buyers. I am no fan of a majority of Nascar fans either, because they are ****. I have been there when they are cutting the roof off to get an unconscious driver out of the car while more than half the grandstand is cheering and laughing. So don't tell me there are extenuating circumstances.

Advertisement

#20 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 30 September 2002 - 00:01

Originally posted by TheD2JBug

according to nascar.com there were several drivers who also had provisionals that didn't make it .. if they were faster than Hideo then they would make it in .. so yes he did get in on pace . cause he was faster than the rest of those drivers , although yes he did barely make it in. and why single him out when accorfing to the points totals there seemed to be several entrants who have run poorer than Hideo. Therefore you either include these drivers in this list , or let up on Hideo. He got in according to the rules. These rules apply to everyone.

D2J, he did not make it in on pace. I will repeat, in order to make it in on pace, he had to qualify 1-36. He made it in on an owner's provisional. Yeah so did six other drivers. However, a two lap run doesn't make a Winston Cup career. His owner has no more provisionals left so he will have to make it in on speed next time.

#21 indycarjunkie

indycarjunkie

• 2,699 posts

Posted 30 September 2002 - 00:11

Originally posted by StickShift
If they're doing this for one Japanese driver, the fans will be raving mad when Toyota goes into Nascar!

yes, everyone who has a "Calvin pissing on Ford" or "Calvin pissing on Chevy" sticker would tear them off and buy "Calvin pissing on Toyota" stickers. :lol:

This whole Fukuyama thing is a discrace, but considering the mentality of your average NASCAR fan is this really a suprise?

#22 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 30 September 2002 - 00:15

right and said driver would have to qualify within 107% in F1 just like everyone else . Hideo didn't do anything different than several other drivers have in the past. why is it now everyone is whining .. the rest were white folks and Hideo is Japanese ?

lame argument ..

No Hideo didn't do what other drivers did in the past. All of the drivers at Dover have proven themselves in either Busch and/or Winston Cup. The fact that Hideo is Japanese is irrelevant in my opinion. While there are some fans who are racist, I think most probably see it as it is. An underqualified driver who hasn't proven himself in a lower NASCAR series, getting to compete in Winston Cup. Shawna Robinson got flack from some fans for her entry into Winston Cup last year and she is way more qualified than Hideo but hardly Winston Cup material.

Buckshot Jones got flack too when he entered Winston Cup, not because he doesn't have the skills to compete at that level, because had proven in Busch to be over-aggressive on occasion and seldom used the gray matter between his ears. Then Buckshot entered Winston Cup with his own underfunded team a few years back. Many fans criticized his self-promotion to Cup and he is a Southerner (from Georgia). He was the target on many NASCAR bulletin boards at that time. However, like I said, Buckshot has the talent but made quite a couple enemies with his driving tactics.

#23 TheD2JBug

TheD2JBug

• 1,507 posts

Posted 30 September 2002 - 01:03

No Hideo didn't do what other drivers did in the past. All of the drivers at Dover have proven themselves in either Busch and/or Winston Cup. The fact that Hideo is Japanese is irrelevant in my opinion. While there are some fans who are racist, I think most probably see it as it is. An underqualified driver who hasn't proven himself in a lower NASCAR series, getting to compete in Winston Cup. Shawna Robinson got flack from some fans for her entry into Winston Cup last year and she is way more qualified than Hideo but hardly Winston Cup material.

Buckshot Jones got flack too when he entered Winston Cup, not because he doesn't have the skills to compete at that level, because had proven in Busch to be over-aggressive on occasion and seldom used the gray matter between his ears. Then Buckshot entered Winston Cup with his own underfunded team a few years back. Many fans criticized his self-promotion to Cup and he is a Southerner (from Georgia). He was the target on many NASCAR bulletin boards at that time. However, like I said, Buckshot has the talent but made quite a couple enemies with his driving tactics.

I'm not comparing Hideo to any other driver. I am simply commenting on the animosity that's been shown . You don't like ride buyers , fine. He's probably not the 1st or last (as buford's post illustrates ) so why single him out ? he's ahead in the point standings than 6 or 7 other guys and he got blackflagged .. what does that say about those guys ?

Buford: I cannot comment on your situation. I have no idea what might have happened there. I also do not know Haas-Carters situation on the 66 car since the team went bust. did Hideo take someone else's ride ? If not then no harm no foul .. someone has to pay to run that car.

#24 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 30 September 2002 - 01:33

I'm not comparing Hideo to any other driver. I am simply commenting on the animosity that's been shown . You don't like ride buyers , fine. He's probably not the 1st or last (as buford's post illustrates ) so why single him out ? he's ahead in the point standings than 6 or 7 other guys and he got blackflagged .. what does that say about those guys ?

Hideo is not being singled out because he is Japanese. He is being singled out because he has only raced in two NASCAR oval races in his career in a third rung NASCAR series with mediocre results and being allowed to compete in Winston Cup because he bought the ride. That is the double wammy. Sure there have been a few ride buyers in Winston Cup but I cannot remember any driver doing so and being so underqualified.

If this guy did this in Busch Grand National, very few would have any objections to it. Trying to make a case for him by comparing his results to the other drivers in other races is silly. You don't know what kind of machinery the other drivers had and what happened to them in their races. Granted, the #66 Carter-Haas car is no dream NASCAR ride but it is better equipment than what a lot of those drivers on your list had. If you want some meaningless comparisons, how about one more meaningful. Last year, the #66 Carter-Haas team fielded a car for Todd Bodine at the same Dover race and Todd Bodine qualified 9th and finished 15th.

#25 GL*

GL*

• 380 posts

Posted 30 September 2002 - 02:56

I was disgusted after reading the first post but then I read Joe Fan's posts and I have to respect the insight of somebody who seems to know their stuff about NASCAR. As is the case in sports, the true source of their disgust is probably, as Joe Fan contends, his "purchase" of a Winston Cup ride. His ethnicity though, is a mitigating factor. Something for the fans to latch onto and taunt because it's something that jumps out from the crowd. It's immature and petty, but that's how these things go. Not entirely different from the people in the Sarah Fisher threads here having strokes because she got a demo ride with McLaren. Not entirely different from the North American attitude in the early to mid 90s that European NHL players were somehow lower-class. Not entirely different from the snickering that went along with Jamaica participating in the bobsleigh event at the winter olympics. People in general will always expect one to "pay their dues" no matter how ridiculous that might sound. There will always be a Kimi Raikonnen, a Tiger Woods, or a Kobe Bryant who come out of the gates roaring. From Joe Fan's posts, I gather Fukuyama is not a member of this club - which means he will be ridiculed. Good for him for trying, but I think this is par for the course.