2003 Austrian Grand Prix

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Tomecek

Tomecek

• 6,138 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 12:24

Hi folks,
I am definitely going to Austria next year to watch race on A1-ring. It is going to be my first Grand Prix. And I am thinking about one thing. With new qualifing system I wonder if it makes sense to be there also on Saturday, if warm-up and race is not enough? What do you think? Maybe you would be able answer the question later next year after some experiences from previous events.

Also I am considering whether to buy gold ticket in front of pitlane or to place myself next to some excitement corner. What is better? In first case you'll see all of the action in the pits, but cars are just comming straight below you. On the other hand you would be unlucky that you chose wrong corner without any action. What is the best place on A1-Ring? I'd like to take my wife with me, which should be a remark :)

Advertisement

#2 Marzocchi

Marzocchi

• 143 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 22:20

I´ve been at A1 once - and never again (just kidding) :rotfl: :rolleyes:

well, we had excellent places at Castrol curve. The places were non-numbered, but it was ok. At the qualifying session we sat close to the track, and on sundays session we had better seats further up on the grand stand.

I really recommend to visit the track both saturday and sunday, because it´s worth it. But, if your wife is not so interested, go on sunday only :)

look at a lot of pics from a1 here: http://medlem.spray....lyf1/A1/A1.html

enjoy

http://marzocchi.tk

#3 Tomecek

Tomecek

• 6,138 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 10:26

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing! Unfortunately a lot of links to the large pictures doesn't work.

Why you wouldn't go again to Austria? (I feel a little of sarcasm from you).

I think my wife will be impressed, however we are probably going only for warm up and the race.

If Bronze, which corner is better to use: Gösser or Remus?

#4 Marzocchi

Marzocchi

• 143 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 14:30

These pics which doesn´t work, try to change "xxx.JPG" to xxx.jpg". Probably it will work great.
I´d like to go to Austria again, I was just kidding when I wrote "never again" :)
If bronze, I don´t know what to recommend. Between Remus and Gösser it´s a huge general admission area, but I haven´t been there, so I don´t know. But, from a grandstand at Castrol, you will probably see more track, compare to what you see from the bronze section. From Castrol you see it all, except from Jochen Rindt and Mobilkom :):)

#5 Tomecek

Tomecek

• 6,138 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 14:35

Yes, I thought that :) Shame it is ten times more expensive :cry: However, I will see my financial situation and if it will be possible, I will get Castrol Grandstand :) Thanks for tip!

#6 Marzocchi

Marzocchi

• 143 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 15:51

Sounds great :)

We were a couple of swedes from Daily F1 swedish forum who travelled last spring. Maybe we will make the same event this (2003) year. :)

#7 Tomecek

Tomecek

• 6,138 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 16:20

Great!

#8 Tomecek

Tomecek

• 6,138 posts

Posted 30 March 2003 - 19:21

Would you prefer Remus or Gösser? Why? Why not the other?

#9 Linus27

Linus27

• 4,895 posts

Posted 30 March 2003 - 21:51

I went to the A1 ring last year and it was fantastic. We sat at turn 1 which I would not do again because the seats were not numbered and so, if you get there late you are pushed further back. The views are great though and the entertainment they put on pre race is brilliant. I would probably go to Saturday qualifying as its a great place.

#10 Sir Frank

Sir Frank

• 4,275 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 07:12

Im also palning on going! :clap: Im excited :)

Im still looking for a place to sit at. I figure Silver3 should be pretty good, You can see turns 1&2 which should be great for overtaking and excitement and you can see some infield, very good for analysis how the cars behave on those corners.

#11 A3

A3

• 32,107 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 11:59

As I told you Sir Frank, you can't see turn 1 from silver 3. It's lower than and furher away from Silver 2. As for the infield, if you want to see how the cars behave, take some binoculars with you as it's still pretty far away.

Don't know where you guys will be staying, but when I was there last year (arrived thursday evening) we had a great time. We had tents and 1 car, so following the Silver 3 signs, we ended up in a field about 100m from the track's main entrance. It was up a hill and at night we could see all over the "camping", which was great. There's enough to do around the track after F1 practice sessions, we saw Damon Hill and his band perform in a big tent, there was a great atmosphere. Huge fireworks display saturday night and and an awesome Saab Viggen jet fighter demonstraion on saturday and sunday.

All in all, I had a great time in Austria. :)

#12 Sir Frank

Sir Frank

• 4,275 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 12:15

Again, thanks A3. I posted this before I got your reply.

This year there will be the Damon Hill band again.

Now Im trying to decide between Bronz or Silver1.

#13 A3

A3

• 32,107 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 13:09

Bronze or Silver 1???? Silver 1 of course, bronze is general admission, it's just a big field.

#14 Sir Frank

Sir Frank

• 4,275 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 14:42

Originally posted by A3
Bronze or Silver 1???? Silver 1 of course, bronze is general admission, it's just a big field.

I know, but theres a great difference between the two! Silver1 is 330E and Bronz 130E!

#15 A3

A3

• 32,107 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 17:38

Then go for Silver2 or 3. They're still better than Bronze IMHO.

#16 Sir Frank

Sir Frank

• 4,275 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 18:41

Originally posted by A3
Then go for Silver2 or 3. They're still better than Bronze IMHO.

I dont like Silver2, its too expensive for only seeing 1 corner, and its too far away from that corner because of the gravel trap. It costs 300E for the weekend. For sure Im not choosing this option.

If I dont go to Bronz I will go for Silver1 because Silver3 is still 270E and as you said you cant see turn1. I definitely want to see turn1&2 for overtaking, I havent seen any at the Hungaroring since Damon passed MS into turn1 in 1997, that was unique, but apart from that no passing since 1993!
(that you could actually see live)

I want my share of action, this is the last Austrian GP and I dont want to miss it! every other track is located at a greater distance from Budapest. Imola is usually a snooze fest, Monza would be good too, but I think you can see a lot more at A1ring! I cant imagine sitting at Monza on a grandstand watching the same piece of track that is covered in something like 5seconds. A1 and Hungaroring you can sit at places where you can see more than 50% of the track!

Its gonna be either Silver1 or Bronz! I talk to my buddy what he wants!

#17 Farzad

Farzad

• 52 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 23:52

I really enjoyed the A-1 ring in 2001. It's a real spectator track with little obstruction and great views from almost any grandstand.

I sat in Silver 1 and you can see the pictures here:

http://www.farzad.ca/gallery/album17

#18 Sir Frank

Sir Frank

• 4,275 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 21:04

Thanks Farzad!! :clap: That is just great, as well as your site :up:

#19 Linus27

Linus27

• 4,895 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 10:57

Sir Frank

You have a PM :wave:

Advertisement

#20 Sir Frank

Sir Frank

• 4,275 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 11:02

I cant reply coz your mailbox is full!

#21 Linus27

Linus27

• 4,895 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 17:01

Really, I empied it recently. Try again please if you like. :wave:

#22 Tomecek

Tomecek

• 6,138 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 12:21

We are going 5 full cars alltogether :clap: It's gonna be great trip :clap:

#23 Sir Frank

Sir Frank

• 4,275 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 10:07

Our tickets have just arrived :clap: Cant wait! :clap:

Im gonna be in Silver1! :clap:

#24 Tomecek

Tomecek

• 6,138 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 18:14

I also look forward so much :) Even though I wonder if I will see something in Gösser corner :eek: :)

#25 Sir Frank

Sir Frank

• 4,275 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 22:24

Where are you sitting Tom? At Gösser? Are you attending all 3days?