Photo

Frank Gardner - his life, times and quotations

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 17:59

Nothing to say, I just posted the thread title. I thought there was a good chance it might roll... :) ...

(Or has it been done?)

Advertisement

#2 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,509 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 18:56

Gardners's tale of the first Porsche 917 is well known, here's a slightly extended version.

"Late one Friday in 1969 the telephone range. Hello Frank, this is Husche (von Hanstein). We would like you to drive our new car at the Nurburgring 1,000 kilometres this weekend. I said I was busy and recommended he call Brian Redman. 'Brian has had a crash, and is in hospital.' Jo Siffert was my next suggestion. 'Jo has had a crash and is in hospital.' 'What the bloody hell is going on there?' Our new car is not easy to drive Fank' - and he wasn't kidding!

"Porsche came to us because there was a shortage of drivers but the money was good so David Piper and I decided to take it on.

"These first cars had alloy tubular chassis, which was gas-filled to detect cracks. There was a big guage in the cockpit, which measured the gas pressure. If the guage zeroed, they said it meant that the chassis has started to crack, and they said I should drive home 'mit care'. I told them, 'If the needle zeroes I'll park the bastard there and then and walk back, pick up my Deutschmarks and go home'.

"The chassis flexed so much that the position of the gearchange was never the same twice in a row. You'd reach out for the lever and it wasn't there anymore. I was asked to drive it at Le Mans, the money was great too, but I told them 'I never wanted to be the quickest bloke in motor racing - just the oldest- and that Porsche was going to interfere with my plans.

"David did one lap at the Nurburgring and said he was too young to die. It snowed and poured, the car was snapping sideways and aquaplaning at the same time. It was one of the few times I extended my concentration levels above and beyond what I possessed, but we finished 5th".

#3 Udo K.

Udo K.

• 655 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 19:12

... and here you can see a picture of the above mentioned car. Two days before Gardner and Piper were called in to drive instead of Hahne and Quester, who were denied the race by their BMW bosses..
http://www.motorspor...000km_1969.html

#4 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,271 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 21:14

Typical Frank Gardner exaggeration... both Siffert and Redman were in 908s that weekend... as the photos in the linked site show.

I guess this is what Frank does best... tell a story that's totally plausible but may not really stand up to close scrutiny. Some change from telling to telling, but he does it so well that nobody really cares.

His descriptions of his caution are probably best... as above, he didn't want to be the quickest, just the oldest, and that Porsche was standing in his way. Protection of Frank's life and limb always comes out well in these tales and they're worded so well you just have to smile.

The 'Mumbles and the giant Tongan' story he's committed to paper in his book... but I've heard him tell it with some alterations.

#5 Alan Baker

Alan Baker

• 201 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 00:52

Silverstone 1968. Testing Cooper T86B-BRM
Lucien Bianchi to Frank Gardner:-
"It understeers and oversteers and changes quickly from one to the other. Is that normal?"
Frank:-
"Yup"
Bianchi:-
"But on the straight?"

#6 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,358 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 09:46

:D
Frank was the best person i ever worked for in motorsport he always made me laugh
at a problem an encourage me to use laterial thinking to solve them. As for his funnies
there where so many they would roll off his tounge at such a speed it was hard to remember
them.He tought me how to relax while driving ,an still going hard at it ,such an art
from his long distance races over the years.

He told me a story about when he was testing a FORD - GT 50 i think. It was in the states
an the throttle stuck wide open he opened the door an bailed out at some incredible
speed of course he was smashed up but alive they but him back together in the NASA
hospital at FORD expense an he met John Glen ------- an other Astronauts at that time in the
late 60,s .He talk about the artifacts that NASA have in storage an there origins are still
unknown to this day. spacestuff.

Frank was amazing to watch when he was setting up a car he could go into such fine details
an pick up a bad shocker as quick as one /two laps such feeling AMAZING.I asked him one day
what was the best car he driven an he replyed the last on i won a race in,an the worst car
was the one that he did not win a race in .That FRANK for you!! :wave:

#7 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 08:08

Did he really say....

"In the end it's always a matter of more accelerator and less brake" ?

#8 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,271 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 08:19

If he did, he was beaten by Fangio...

This famous statement followed Fangio driving another Maserati at Spa... the regular driver's time was well and truly eclipsed. So followed Fangio's measured appreciation of the problem...

#9 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,531 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 08:20

Originally posted by David Beard
Did he really say....

"In the end it's always a matter of more accelerator and less brake" ?

Something very similar was attributed to Fangio.

#10 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 08:50

Originally posted by eldougo
:D He told me a story about when he was testing a FORD - GT 50 i think. It was in the states
an the throttle stuck wide open he opened the door an bailed out at some incredible
speed of course he was smashed up but alive they but him back together...

I too have heard FG tell that very story and whilst my tired old neurons cannot recall any greater detail than that which you have quoted, I clearly remember that the half a dozen odd souls around the table were quite disabled with laughter. A master raconteur and I dearly wish I could recall more of his stories.

#11 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,358 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 09:15

:wave:
Quote----Vanwall
A master raconteur and I dearly wish I could recall more of his stories.
________________________-

Yes that was the problem trying to keep them in the garymatter.OOooo for agood memory!

#12 Bernd

Bernd

• 3,313 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 23:00

eldougo are you interested in writing a piece on Frank for my site?
I'm trying to go for writers who actually knew the subjects and you certainly fit the bill :up:

#13 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,358 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 08:23

:yawn: SORRY ______ Bernd iam unable to help way to busy thanks .Eldougo.

#14 Bernd

Bernd

• 3,313 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 08:38

No worries!

#15 lofong

lofong

• 65 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 20:02

Another forum recently referenced Frank relative to the popular subject these days of one time F-1 drivers who ever particpated in NASCAR and then it got sidetracked into other areas of Gardner's career.

The following biography taken from the CAMS site was posted and then its accuracy discussed:

http://www.cams.com....t&ObjectID=6206

I found this particular paragraph very interesting.

The first man to win 100 international race wins, he won the British Touring Car Championship twice, the British Saloon Car Championship three times, and the European Saloon, Touring Car, Formula 5000 and Formula 2 titles.

I believe Frank won just one F-5000 title in 1971 and three BSCC titles (or were some of them BTCC?). As I recall there were F-2 and ETCC wins -- but were there titles?

I also found this link to Autocourse which claims an F5000 title in 1972. Which one?

http://www.autocours...er_id~11759.htm

In fact Gardner seemed to be racing virtually every weekend, as he was also contesting F5000 in the works Lola, taking the championship in both 1971 and '72

Any comments?

To my mind the claim of being first to have 100 international race wins is intriguing.

Was this supposed to mean international level events or simply events outside his homeland .... or should it read the first Australian to win........ ?

It made me wonder if not Frank, then who?

#16 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 20:26

Originally posted by Roger Clark
Gardners's tale of the first Porsche 917 is well known, here's a slightly extended version.

"Late one Friday in 1969 the telephone range. Hello Frank, this is Husche (von Hanstein). We would like you to drive our new car at the Nurburgring 1,000 kilometres this weekend. I said I was busy and recommended he call Brian Redman. 'Brian has had a crash, and is in hospital.' Jo Siffert was my next suggestion. 'Jo has had a crash and is in hospital.' 'What the bloody hell is going on there?' Our new car is not easy to drive Fank' - and he wasn't kidding!

"Porsche came to us because there was a shortage of drivers but the money was good so David Piper and I decided to take it on.

"These first cars had alloy tubular chassis, which was gas-filled to detect cracks. There was a big guage in the cockpit, which measured the gas pressure. If the guage zeroed, they said it meant that the chassis has started to crack, and they said I should drive home 'mit care'. I told them, 'If the needle zeroes I'll park the bastard there and then and walk back, pick up my Deutschmarks and go home'.

"The chassis flexed so much that the position of the gearchange was never the same twice in a row. You'd reach out for the lever and it wasn't there anymore. I was asked to drive it at Le Mans, the money was great too, but I told them 'I never wanted to be the quickest bloke in motor racing - just the oldest- and that Porsche was going to interfere with my plans.

"David did one lap at the Nurburgring and said he was too young to die. It snowed and poured, the car was snapping sideways and aquaplaning at the same time. It was one of the few times I extended my concentration levels above and beyond what I possessed, but we finished 5th".

I may be getting a bit confused here, but talking of the 917, didn't a certain Jody Scheckter describe it as "a bicycle complete with afterburner"? :rotfl:

#17 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 20:29

Originally posted by David Beard
Nothing to say, I just posted the thread title. I thought there was a good chance it might roll... :) ...

(Or has it been done?)

Great thread! Used to love hearing FG being interviewed by Anthony Marsh.......he could make you pee your pants......the only other guy regularly that coud do that was that oh so acerbic wit....Mr G.Hill! :clap:

#18 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 1,304 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 20:51

Originally posted by Roger Clark

Another Gardner comment about the 917: "Bloody hell Dave, if we lose this lot we'll need a map and compass to find our way back to the track". Damned if I can remember where I read it...

#19 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 20:58

Originally posted by lofong

I also found this link to Autocourse which claims an F5000 title in 1972. Which one?

Must have been the fantasy one; the 1972 I lived through saw Gijs van Lennep crowned champion...

Advertisement

#20 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 22:31

Sterling49:

Jody was referring to the Turbo Can-Am car. Someone asked him what it was like to drive, to which he responded, "Imagine being on roller skates then strapping on a rocket backpack" or something to that effect. I believe it was a 917-10 sponsored by Vasek Polak.

#21 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 22:42

Originally posted by David M. Kane
Sterling49:

Jody was referring to the Turbo Can-Am car. Someone asked him what it was like to drive, to which he responded, "Imagine being on roller skates then strapping on a rocket backpack" or something to that effect. I believe it was a 917-10 sponsored by Vasek Polak.

Thanks David.......my memory gets worse with age, I used to razor sharp!!!! Sad thing is now you have remindd me, I remembered!!!! It's no wonder I cannot recal any ramblings of FG that I last saw race......maybe 35 years ago! :rotfl:

#22 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,271 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 22:46

In fact Gardner seemed to be racing virtually every weekend, as he was also contesting F5000 in the works Lola, taking the championship in both 1971 and '72

Does this perhaps refer to the British title that he won driving both tintops and the F5000? The one that he dug himself out of 'openwheeler retirement' to win?

If not, this title isn't mentioned...

#23 Robert Bailey

Robert Bailey

• 212 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:42

I remember Bob Minogue telling the story how in 1964 he went to the UK to spanner 1st job to look after the Wilmont Lola and F2 Brabham.First thing Frank said to Bob,not another f....... Australian whom want's to race.

#24 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,587 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:55

22nd March 1970

Brands Hatch Race of Champions

Frank was entered in the supporting Group 2 Saloon cra race which was run in two parts. I had taken up position on the entry to Druids with my mate from work and my Dad. In the first part Frank was leading when under braking for Druids I saw a bright orange flash from the front of the car. Frank went on to win the race and in the post race interview he was asked how did it go. He explained to the interviewer that 'a front shock absorber exploded whilst under braking for Druids'. The commentator asked how he coped and Frank just passed it off as something you had to cope with.

In the second part of the race there were no such problems and Frank cruised to an easy victory. At the post race interview the first thing he was asked was 'Were there any problems?' Frank's reply was 'Streuth! Had a major problem early on when the radio packed up!' :rotfl:

He really was that typical Aussie full of brash comments and bravado; however he was a truely wonderful driver in almost every type of racing car from F5000 to Saloon cars.

#25 LOTI

LOTI

• 293 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 10:02

After Chris's accident I was sitting gloomily gazing at the sludge coloured Rhine flowing past the dining room window of the hotel when in came Frank, incidently the only person to bother. He kept up a wonderful monologue of mad stories which even in the state I was in, made me laugh.
God bless you Frank.
How about the salvaging of WW2 aircraft engines north of Australia and dumping bloody waste meat at one site while they dived on another. or..... Oh I can't remember but it was so kind and thoughtful and then just as we had finished the meal he looked out of the window and said "I wonder if you could swim across there?" [the Rhine] I'm glad to say that he decided against it.
Loti

#26 Huw Jadvantich

Huw Jadvantich

• 602 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:10

I am useless at remembering jokes and stories but I wished I could have had a tape recorder going when FG used to go to see a mate of mine. All I can remember is my sides hurting afterwards. An absolute natural story teller. I don't suppose he ever let the truth get in the way of a good story, but it didn't really matter. Some of them were so dry you had to think your way through the story to see why he finished apparently in mid-air. It wasn't just practiced stories either, he has an extremely quick wit for any situation, but a profound intelect when a serious head is needed.

#27 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:30

TNFers might be interested to know that François Jardinier is rather poorly at the moment. An ulcer on his leg, a result of a burn picked up 'on business' years ago, is proving to be rather reluctant to heal.

#28 David Force

David Force

• 287 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:58

Vanwall is correct, anyone who saw Frank racing in his prime, or even latterly, would attest to his craggy indesructable nature but he is not so good at the moment with some complications setting in I believe. So lets all join in sending our best wishes and thoughts to a real racers' racer who has given us so much pleasure over the many seasons and hope we can see him at Goodwood someday soon :clap:

#29 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,587 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 13:02

Originally posted by David Force
Vanwall is correct, anyone who saw Frank racing in his prime, or even latterly, would attest to his craggy indesructable nature but he is not so good at the moment with some complications setting in I believe. So lets all join in sending our best wishes and thoughts to a real racers' racer who has given us so much pleasure over the many seasons and hope we can see him at Goodwood someday soon :clap:

I quiet agree with the Best Wishes to Big Frank! I do so hope he swiftly recovers.

However do you really think Goodwood is ready for him? :rotfl:

#30 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,165 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 13:28

Originally posted by David Force

Yes, get well soon Frank. The world needs you.

#31 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 13:57

Apparently he was a great test driver who did most of the development work for Lola.

One of my greatest memories was stumbling across Lothar Moschenbacher standing on the hill above Paddock Bend and watching Frank in a F5000 race on windy cool spring day while he got it on against Howden in a M10A and Mike the Bike in a Surtees. The next day I visited the Surtees Works in Edinbridge...what an experience. I felt like a batter who had done the whole deal.

#32 Paul Newby

Paul Newby

• 525 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 03:05

Originally posted by Ray Bell
Typical Frank Gardner exaggeration... both Siffert and Redman were in 908s that weekend... as the photos in the linked site show.

I guess this is what Frank does best... tell a story that's totally plausible but may not really stand up to close scrutiny. Some change from telling to telling, but he does it so well that nobody really cares.

His descriptions of his caution are probably best... as above, he didn't want to be the quickest, just the oldest, and that Porsche was standing in his way. Protection of Frank's life and limb always comes out well in these tales and they're worded so well you just have to smile.

The 'Mumbles and the giant Tongan' story he's committed to paper in his book... but I've heard him tell it with some alterations.

Never has a truer word been spoken....

I have a journo friend who interviewed Frank last year for a magazine feature. He even lent me the tape so I could hear it first hand. :)

Frank wasn't short of a story, but the accuracy of what he was saying did concern my friend. Never has my journo mate had to check through so many sources to get an accurate record of events and then weave Frank's first person recollections into the mix.

Some of Franks stories have become such racing myths that even Frank believes they are the gospel.... :rotfl:

#33 lofong

lofong

• 65 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:31

Originally posted by Paul Newby
Some of Franks stories have become such racing myths that even Frank believes they are the gospel.... :rotfl:

So maybe Frank wrote his own biography from the CAMS website that I posted earlier :lol:

Originally posted by lofong
[B]To my mind the claim of being first to have 100 international race wins is intriguing.

Was this supposed to mean international level events or simply events outside his homeland .... or should it read the first Australian to win........ ?

It made me wonder if not Frank, then who?

It seems nobody has mentioned any other championships beyond the BSCC and F5000 in '71 so I assume there were none?

And no comments so far on this claim of 100 international wins. I only remember the latter years of Gardner's career in saloon cars. So how successful was he overall? Does this statement have any merit?