Photo

Mike Hailwood, RIP

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 12:11

It's twenty two years today that Mike 'The Bike' passed. Godspeed, Mike.

Advertisement

#2 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 15:20

Well said. Unforgotten...

Unforgettable...

DCN

#3 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 15:50

I was at Brands in the 60s when he raced that Honda 6 cylinder job. A 250, I think. It could be heard coming to life in the paddock above everything else. My memories of that day are however clouded by the fact the racing crowd in Britain no longer wanted to see him win...that strange British attitude toward their own successful people that also afflicted Jackie Stewart when he was at his best. However, it was a pleasure to see how Mike the Bike really returned to popularity at the time of his incredible Isle of Man comeback rides.

Posted Image

#4 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 20:56

When a guy like Mike dies, it really gets you thinking about all this "master plan" stuff!!

The accident remains to this day, senseless!

#5 bournenville

bournenville

• 110 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 21:10

God Speed,Mike"The Bike"Hailwood! :clap:

#6 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 09:17

I only ever saw Mike race in the Tasman Series on four wheels other than on telly - before that he had been my hero on two wheels and i was hoping the true champion that he was would bear fruit in the car world. Particularly memorable was a wet race where everyone was just in awe of Rindt the rainmeister. Whilst Mike in the Surtees might have been outclassed, I have never seen an open wheeler so crossed up and still maintaining the racing line to this day!!

I suppose the drunken lorry driver who took Mike and his sons's lives is still able to read these posts. If he is out there I hope his life is utterly miserable.

Still getting over the very sad loss of Barry Sheene.....

#7 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 09:20

Originally posted by 275 GTB-4

Sorry, forgot to mention this wonderful website:

http://www.mikethebike.com/home.htm

#8 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,165 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 09:49

On a lighter note. I remember Mike being in the paddock at Oulton for an F5000 race, shortly after his F1 career was reborn at Monza in 1971. He was talking to Terry Sanger, another F5000 driver. Sanger asked him what it was like to drive an F1 car. Mike said " they're a bloody sight easier to drive than these effin' things". A great guy. REALLY wish he was still with us.

#9 JohnH

JohnH

• 172 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 11:21

Originally posted by 275 GTB-4
I suppose the drunken lorry driver who took Mike and his sons's lives is still able to read these posts. If he is out there I hope his life is utterly miserable.

Mike and his daughter Michelle were killed in the accident. Michelle, 9 years old died instantly and Mike lingered on for two days. His son survived and is still around, I don't believe he had major injuries.

JH

#10 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,244 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 00:41

I saw him in the Tasman Cup series, and I'll never forget his downchanges through the box, one gear at a time, while others went straight from fifth to second as they rushed into Creek Corner.

Sounded great...

Then he turned up as guest of honour at one of the very early (maybe the first?) Historic meetings... rode a bike, drove DD's Lotus 18 2.5... had a lot of fun.

#11 Anorak Man

Anorak Man

• 312 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 06:34

My first glimpse of Mike was a view familiar to his bike racing competitors.

His backside!

I was in the paddock at Oulton Park in his Surtees F1 days, and spotted him bent over in his Y-fronts pulling on his racing overalls in the Team Surtees 'Motorhome' (Yeh, a Combi!)

I've got a mate over here who raced against him at the IOM TT, and he confirms he was thoroughly unspoilt.

AM

#12 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 12:00

Originally posted by JohnH

Mike and his daughter Michelle were killed in the accident. Michelle, 9 years old died instantly and Mike lingered on for two days. His son survived and is still around, I don't believe he had major injuries. JH

Apologies for posting inaccurate crap.......I should never rely on my memory....

I must dig out "The Times" articles again, I thought it was just Mike and a Son....

Too terrible to be thinking about really ....

I must post one of Mike in a corner - just inspiring to anyone who has ever ridden a motorcycle - poetry in motion.....go Mike

#13 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 12:31

Originally posted by JohnH

His son survived and is still around, I don't believe he had major injuries.

JH

He races in historic bike events, I think?

#14 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 18:51

Interesting item on ebay for fans of the great man. Be nice to have the bike to go with it tho....

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...&category=30194

#15 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 19:08

Originally posted by David Beard

Twenty-five years after Mike Hailwood's fantastic Isle of Man Tourist Trophy win, son David roide a lap of honor on June 2, 2003 on the same bike, a Ducati 900 SS, which was ridden by his father and now kept in the Ducati Museum. It was the last great victory for Hailwood, nine times the World Champion, on the Isle of Man circuit.
http://www.motorcycl...cfm?newsid=2206

"While I was at the Isle of Man 2002 TT, I was pleased to meet David Hailwood in the Hilton Hotel in Douglas, and had a good old chat with him, about his dad and what David was doing.
He mentioned that he was based in Spain and that his mum Pauline was opening a centre in Spain for people who wanted to be "de-stressed" !"
http://www.ttfan.com/hailodge.htm

On the evening of March 21st 1981 Mike, David & Michelle Hailwood were all involved in a tragic car accident at Portway, near the family home in Tanworth in Arden.
Mike and his two children were returning from a fish and chip shop when Mike encountered a flat back lorry that had turned across the carriageway of the A435 Birmingham to Redditch road. It was a wet dark night and Mike had no chance of avoiding the collision which instantly claimed Michelles life.
Mike died two days later at Selly Oak Accident Hospital on March 23rd. David Hailwood, who was in the rear of the car, survived. Mike was just weeks away from his 41st Birthday.
Mike had returned from New Zealand and retirement. After an amazing come back at the Isle of Man TT races Mike had decided to go into partnership and set up a motorcycle shop in Tyburn Road, beside Spaghetti Junction, Erdington, Birmingham in partnership with Rod Gould.
To be close to the business Mike bought a house in Tanworth in Arden on the outskirts of Birmingham. On the night of the accident, the families cooker was not working and Mike decided to go for fish and chips.
http://www.geocities...un/hailwood.htm
Warren

#16 john medley

john medley

• 1,442 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 21:46

A great man, a unique character, a magnificent motorcyclist ( a very good car racer too). I raced against him in Historics in the 1970s , socialized with him , and ran a memorable press conference with him in 1977. I miss him still.

#17 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,727 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 21:53

A very nice and informative article by Dean Adams of AMA Superbike.com

Shame - the fates :( took another before his time and tragically, the life of his child as well…

#18 IAM

IAM

• 1,075 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 02:09

I was at Brands in the 60s when he raced that Honda 6 cylinder job. A 250, I think. It could be heard coming to life in the paddock above everything else.

I remember those days only too well. No sound like it! It still sends a shiver down my spine when I think of it. I remember being able to just wander through the paddock back then and talk to any of the riders.

The six cylinder was a 297cc he raced in the 350 class. Thinking about it he may have had a 250 six as well. Then Honda gave him that 4 cylinder 500cc that produced 105 or 115 HP at the rear wheel, unfortunately the tyre companies could not/had not developed a rubber to stand that HP! So it was a tremendous feat for him win on that. But great to watch as the tyre would come apart and he'd still have it wide open.

I think that is when Agostini started to win on the 500MV.

Ian

#19 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,849 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 08:12

David Hailwood is a very simple and accessible bloke , who doesn't at all take himself seriously ....he does not only appear in glamourous high profile historics events at Daytona or the Isle of Man , but also on obscure occasions .....last October I was at the fabled Montlhéry circuit for what might well have been the last meeting there ever, the "Trophées Gérard Jumeaux" , a meeting for 60's and 70's motorcycles ....a good friend of mine was taking part in the "Kawasaki Cup" series , a bunch of die-hard lunatics trying to keep the memories alive of the 1970's french promotional series , raced on stock 3-cylinders 2 stroke 350 or 400 Kawa's....David was there hanging around with some British friends , he promptly accepted the invitation to hop on board one of those old Kawa triples and take part in a couple of series ......in a very unaffected and happy manner....David is quite slow on a circuit, he does realise that and doesn't care....and enjoys a beer in a plastic cup with his feet in the mud at the end of a ride......Of course, I was instructed by my friend to make sure I took a picture of him and Hailwood jr on the Montlhéry banking, which I duly did !

Advertisement

#20 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,722 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 19:37

I was recently contacted by Mike's ex-girlfriend from the 60s, Elizabeth McCarthy, who welcomed my article on both Hailwood and Surtees at 8W. She offered me to publish her memories of Mike, which can already be read on the TT website, but for this occasion she added some new stuff and a selection of her favourite pictures.

It's a strange story from an intriguing point of view, and I'm sure - if you haven't read it before - you wil find it interesting to say the least.

Here's the direct link.

#21 SEdward

SEdward

• 840 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 20:43

Mike was underrated as a car driver. Some of his performances in the Surtees in 72 were meritorious. I clearly remember the Race of Champions and the Daily Express Trophy that year, when he was the only driver who could get anywhere near Fittipaldi.

He also battled against Emerson all season long in F2 that year.

His accident at the 'Ring in 74 put an end to it all. A shame.

Edward.

#22 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 20:45

Originally posted by soubriquet
...The soft Southerners may have abandoned Mike....

Huh - don't you believe it matey.... :evil:

DCN

#23 VAR1016

VAR1016

• 2,826 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 20:58

Two Mikes, two days, amazing.

I was at Crystal Palace when he set the ultimate lap record in a F2 car; 109 mph I think (might have been 103 mph). We (i.e. my father and brother, regulars at the Palace) couldn't believe his speed - still can't.

PdeRL

#24 SEdward

SEdward

• 840 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 13:15

I just downloaded the 1974 Monaco and Dutch GP reports from another thread in this forum.

Nice to see Mike running second in the opening laps of the Dutch GP that year, behind only Lauda. He eventually finished 4th, half a minuite behind Niki.

It was just a few weeks before the accident that ended his career.

Edward.

#25 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 10:30

Originally posted by SEdward
It was just a few weeks before the accident that ended his career. Edward.

I promised to find and post some newspaper articles, obit to follow in due course, Cheers:

Mike Hailwood critically hurt in crash

By a Staff Reporter

Mr Mike Hailwood, former world motor cycling chempion, was critically ill in Birmingham hospital yesterday after a road accident in which his daughter, Michelle, aged nine, died.

Mr Hailwood, aged 41, nine times world motorcycling champion, who was awarded the George Medal for bravery in 1973 after rescuing Clay Regazzoni from a blazing car during the South African Grand Prix, was in Birmingham Accident Hospital with severe head injuries.

The accident was on Saturday evening on the A435 near the Warwickshire - Worcestershire border when Mr Hailwood's Rover was in a collision with a lorry. His son, David, aged six, was slightly injured, but was discharged from hospital yesterday.

Mr Hailwood built up a reputation as a very safe rider in hundreds of motor cycly races; his only serious injury came when he switched from two wheels to four and crashed in the German Grand Prix in 1974. He gave up serious car racing after that accident when he had to be cut from his car and had a compound fracture of his right knee and leg.

In 1978, he returned to motor cycle racing and won the Isle of Man TT for the fourteenth time.

[London Times 23 March 1981]

#26 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 11:29

OBITUARY

MIKE HAILWOOD

A great motor cycle champion

Mike Hailwood, MBE, GM, who won 10 world motor cycle championships, died yesterday at the age of 40, as a result of injuries he had sustained in a car accident on March 21.

Hailwood was perhaps the greatest ever exponent of the art of motor cycle racing, and his apparent invincibility on the motor cycle circuit in his day made him something of a legend in his lifetime. His heyday was the 1960's during which he amassed a formidable tally of world championships and other titles. He had also been interested in car racing during these years and after 1967, when he ceased motor cycle racing, applied himself seriously to this branch of motor sport, with some, though not comparable, success.

But the lure of motor cycle competition never left him and in his late thirties he made an almost storybook return to the Isle of Man circuit to win himself his tenth and last world championship in the 1970s.

Stanley Michael Bailey Hailwood was born April 4, 1940, the son of millionaire motor cycle dealer Stanley Hailwood. He followed his father's footsteps into motor cycle racing as soon as he was old enough and won his first world champiomnship and first Senior TT at the age of 21. During the period 1961-67 he won no fewer than nine world championships, 75 grand prix and 12 Isle of Man TTs. His early successes were on MV Augusta machines but later he rode Hondas.

Anxious to make his mark on four wheels, too, he dabbled with Formula One racing in the early 1960s in a private Lotus but he had to wait until 1971 for success in his car racing career. He finished second in the European Formula 5000 championships in 1971 and embarked upon his first full-time Formula One season in 1972 for Team Surtees, of which he was the team leader. He finished eighth in the championship and also won the European Formula Two championship.

A self-effacing, modest man, Hailwood was awarded the George Medal in 1973 for his courage after he pulled the Swiss racing driver Clay Reggazzoni from a blazing car during the South African Grand Prix. "Hailwood", read the citation, "totally ignored his own safety and the intensity of the flames."

In 1974 a serious accident during the German Grand Prix at Nurburgring put an end to his car racing career. Crashing heavily in the 13th lap of the race, he had to be cut from his car suffering from a compound fracture of his right knee and severe ankle injuries. Regazzoni won the race.

As a result of the accident Hailwood retired from motor racing and took his wife and two children off to New Zealand to start a new life.

However in 1978 he stunned the motor cycle racing world with a return to the sport he had graced for so long, adding yet another world championship title to his tally and breaking the Isle of Man lap record in the process. He was then 38. He finally retired in 1979, after achieving yet another TT victory, to become head of a motor cycle business in Birmingham.

Despite his often deceptively casual manner Mike Hailwood possessed a steely determination and a remarkable talent. He is survived by his wife, Pauline, and son, David. His daughter, Michelle died instantly in the same accident.

[London Times 1981]

#27 ianm1808

ianm1808

• 100 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 14:23

Originally posted by WGD706

On the evening of March 21st 1981 Mike, David & Michelle Hailwood were all involved in a tragic car accident at Portway, near the family home in Tanworth in Arden.
Mike and his two children were returning from a fish and chip shop when Mike encountered a flat back lorry that had turned across the carriageway of the A435 Birmingham to Redditch road. It was a wet dark night and Mike had no chance of avoiding the collision which instantly claimed Michelles life.

Jeez.. I never knew that was where he died. To be honest I don't know much about Mike , I know a little bit but I really would like to learn a bit more. Any good books?

But that road is a fast road even now. I know it well. It's a loony's paradise..

I always wondered why there were flowers near Portway. I just used to think that it was a driver who'd lost it...

RIP Mike.

#28 Marc

Marc

• 87 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 17:35

Can anybody translate? I am too bad in English for that ... :

L'action se passe à ... Rouen-les -Essarts en 1972, et Mike pilote une Surtees F2

Extrait de presse: " Au départ de la série qualificative, Hailwood prend immédiatement le commandement des opérations, "largue" Pescarolo au cours de son deuxième tour, établit un record officiel du circuit, et remporte la victoire avec 8 secondes d'avance...Au départ de la finale, il est placé en première ligne aux côtés de Fittipaldi. Au baisser du drapeau, Hailwood fonce en tête dans la descente vers l'épingle à cheveux du Nouveau Monde. Emerson Fittipaldi l'attaque,et le dépasse au deuxième tour. Hailwood prends sa roue, et les deux hommes s'isolent au commandement pour achever leur " explication ". Le duel se révèle passionnant: Hailwood harcèle sans répit le Brésilien, qui riposte furieusement. Aux freinages " à la limite " de Hailwood, Fittipaldi réplique par des freinages " kamikazes ", à des tentatives de débordement sur la ligne droite, Fittipaldi réplique par des changements de trajectoires. Après 20 tours, les deux voitures passent comme soudées l'une à l'autre. Mike tente encore une fois sa chance au freinage du Nouveau Monde, mais il va trop loin cette fois-ci et fait un tête-à-queue. Fittipaldi s'échappe et prend 8 secondes d'avance ; Hailwood repart à l'assaut et en 6 tours reprend 6 secondes au futur champion du monde. La victoire est à nouveau à sa portée, Hailwood bat le record du tour, rejoint presque Fittipaldi et fait un deuxième tète-à-queue, au Nouveau Monde, sur " refus " de sa boîte de vitesses. Il termine glorieusement à la deuxième place et, comme Fittipaldi est un pilote gradé et ne peut marquer de points au championnat d'Europe de Formule 2, Hailwood inscrit à son actif le maximum de points... La lutte acharnée qu'il a menée au Brésilien était donc gratuite ! :clap: Tel était Mike Hailwood " Michel Hubin 1972

Hailwood/Fitti 1974 http://www.pilotesde...lwood_Fitti.jpg

#29 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 18:26

I just wish I'd been there. Winning the race was what mattered - stuff the championship. It would never ever be allowed to happen today. :

#30 JohnH

JohnH

• 172 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 23:23

Originally posted by ianm1808

Jeez.. I never knew that was where he died. To be honest I don't know much about Mike , I know a little bit but I really would like to learn a bit more. Any good books?

But that road is a fast road even now. I know it well. It's a loony's paradise..

I always wondered why there were flowers near Portway. I just used to think that it was a driver who'd lost it...

RIP Mike.

A Man Called Mike by Christopher Hiltion is one of my favorite books.....I'm not a bike guy but got into Mike because of reading about him in old car magazines....This book is very well done...Looking around I see there's quite a few, you can see them listedHere

John

#31 Coogar

Coogar

• 139 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 00:25

Does anybody know ....When Motor Sport published a story on 'Great All Rounders' a few months (or more) ago, nobody mentioned Mike. I wondered at the time and am wondering still.........
He had to be one of the greatest, possibly after the likes of Nuvolari & Surtees, but surely ahead of most of the others who were mentioned......?
And then there was Bill Ivy.......

#32 Marc

Marc

• 87 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 23:17

Ago, Mike, Ivy ;)

Posted Image

#33 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 07:43

In a terrible replay of Mike's fatal accident, Norick Abe, the Japanese former Moto G.P. rider was killed yesterday.

Although he was on a bike, not in a car, it is reported that the accident was caused by a lorry making an illegal turn. :(

#34 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 00:31

Twenty seven years now, not forgotten.

#35 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:23

Posted Image

Photo: from the Colin Seeley book.

Could you imagine a rider or driver wearing an accident damaged helmet like that now? On another forum, I read of riders who replace £300 helmets which have just dropped a few feet. Mind you, they are Merrycans ;-)

#36 Elwing

Elwing

• 192 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 10:17

You just don't get characters like that anymore in racing nowadays. RIP Mike "the bike" :cry:

#37 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 10:58

Seems like only yesterday, I lost my Brother in law that same week, Remembering them both. :(
Pic of Mike at Silverstone 1978.
Posted Image
Photo copyrighted to Graham Etheridge, racebikepics.

#38 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:44

Sometime around 1972 I and other friends were demonstrating outside the Earls Court Motorshow against the proposed M25 motorway that was going to cut a swathe through some very attractive Epping Forest and Essex scenery.

Various motoring celebs hurredly passed by without a backward glance but then SMBH arrived dressed in a brown suede jacket and jeans. He came straight over to us, said hello boys and asked us what it was all about.

Despite his obviously well to do background he was totally without affectation and I believe that had he got his bum into a properly competitive F1 car in 1963/4 he would have been one of the very best motor racers. Of course his bike racing took priority at this time. If you want a taste of what he was like get hold of a copy of the 'Time in between' if you can, that has on board footage of Mike riding a Honda around Spa-Francorchamps.

Mine is a video, I don't know if it is now on DVD but it's one of the best films of this genre that I've ever seen and has some fascinating footage of the 1964 Reims 12 Hours plus some very posed and wooden acting from NGH at his then still trading Speedwell tuning company.

#39 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 14:01

I only met Mike the Bike once in the pits at the USGP in Watkins Glen the year he won the F2 Title in the Surtees. He was genuinely surprised that an American knew this fact and that said American even cared. I swear he blushed. I, on the other hand, was blown away that someone of his stature could be so modest.

Advertisement

#40 NEDRA WARE

NEDRA WARE

• 10 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 22:58

I NEVER SAW MIKE HAILWOOD RACE BUT I';; NEVER FORGET HIM MET HIM ON TOP OF FRANK HARRISON"S
TRACTOR/TRAILER AT RIVERSIDE RACES IN CA IN 1964 HE WAS A GUY YOU COULD'NT FORGET
SUCH A TERRIBLE LOSS HE HAD SO MANY MORE GOOD YEARS LEFT WE STILL REMEMBER YOU MIKE

#41 Leon Storm

Leon Storm

• 40 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:42

He was also involved in the closest finish in F1 history.

#42 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:59

I had the great, great pleasure of meeting Mike, as well as I once rode (I´ll refrain from saying, raced) in the same race as him. It was a 350 event in Killarney, Cape Town in 1968 or 69. Mike was visiting SA over the European winter months, and he has on the fabulous 296cc Honda 6. I remember sitting up to brake at the end of the Marmsbury (back) straight thinking I´d left my breaking really late, and Mike came past me travelling a good 30 MPH faster, STILL FLAT ON THE TANK. He was lapping me of course, probably for the 2nd or 3rd time.
Mike wasn´t just a great racer on 2 wheels, as well as on 4, but he was also one of the nicest guys I have ever met. Modest to the point where he totally dismissed his importance and impact on motorracing, he would mix with and befriend even the most insignificant person in his company. And the thing was, it was genuine.
I cried like a baby when I heard of his and Michelle´s passing, and I know the last thought Mike ever had was for his children.
God bless you Champ. You will never be forgotten. :cry:

#43 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:42

I would recommend the book, "A Man Called Mike" by Christopher Hilton.
I too had my 5 minutes with Mike as a 15 year old Start Line Marshal on 27th March 1970 in the assembly area at the "Guards 5000 Guineas" at Oulton Park. Mike trundled in very early in his Epstein-Cuthbert Lola T190 Chevi, and just sat there on his own. I just stood by, and then when boredom set in, he struck up a conversation, showing a real interest in me! We chatted away until the likes of Gethin, Trevor Taylor, Mike Walker, Gordon Spice and Mo Nunn (in a similar Doug Hardwick Lola!) rolled in, and then he signed my programme, that's infront of me as I speak.
A nicer man you wouldn't wish to meet; I often drive past the spot where he was killed at Portway, and think of his exploits at Le Mans, Monza, the T.T. etc...........................
The book say's it all....

#44 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 21:50

I was at Brands in the 60s when he raced that Honda 6 cylinder job. A 250, I think. It could be heard coming to life in the paddock above everything else. My memories of that day are however clouded by the fact the racing crowd in Britain no longer wanted to see him win...that strange British attitude toward their own successful people that also afflicted Jackie Stewart when he was at his best. However, it was a pleasure to see how Mike the Bike really returned to popularity at the time of his incredible Isle of Man comeback rides.

Posted Image

Where were you standing David? I was there to see Mike win that day on the 250/6, he made everybody else (on bigger bikes?) look pedestrian! As you say, a great noise it made too, the only time I saw Mike on two wheels, and what a bike to watch him ride :up: I think the meeting was May 1967 :confused:

So sad that he and his daughter were taken early.

#45 Bernard

Bernard

• 240 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 20:55

Absolutely ex Rhodie ,a gang of us met him in the IOM at the Douglas Bay hotel and later on the boat and he was terrific company with no airs and graces whatsoever.

#46 IAM

IAM

• 1,075 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 23:08

I saw Mike at Brands many times. I think a lot of his sociable attitude is because of the time......there were no big Corporate motor homes. Vans with a shade out the side and you could walk right up and chat with everyone. All riders were sociable, some had attitudes,;) but they all talked with us.

When you had the likes of Mike, Bill Ivy and Phill Read around it was always good.

Everyone was a fan even the riders. It made for great events, most enjoyable................now it's all Corporate, big money, and lets keep the public away (for whatever the reason).

It's not just Mike and others I miss, it is the era.

Ian

#47 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:03

Originally posted by sterling49

Where were you standing David?

Top of Paddock Hill bend I think.