Photo

Stan Jones

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#1 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 30 March 2003 - 11:55

I need a little background on Stan, father of Alan, Jones.

Was he a great driver??

Pain in the @rse, boozer and womaniser (allegedly !!) ?

Why did his businesss fail, and how did this, and his divorce, affect the upbringing and early racing career of Alan Stanley Jones, F1 World Champion 1980 ?

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,264 posts

Posted 30 March 2003 - 14:20

All four, to some extent or another...

Alan had fairly harsh words for him once when I tried to talk to him about his father. No doubt he respects his driving (almost everyone does... Peter Brock's words to me the very first time I met him were "Stan Jones was the best line driver I ever saw...").

At some time he picked up the nickname 'Sorrowful'... I have no idea why, but I found just the other day that it was used as far back as January 1950, after he'd had a bit of a poor outing at the AGP at Nuriootpa.

The respect in which he's held is possibly best shown by the way Graham Howard writes about his drive in the 1954 Australian Grand Prix, the same year as he had beaten the international drivers in the New Zealand Grand Prix driving the Maybach... a Special cobbled up with a lot of enthusiasm and ever-gathering skill around a Maybach scout car engine, ladder chassis and pre-war Studebaker front suspension. On top of that, Howard has put Jones' picture on the first page of that year's AGP story in the AGP book, above winner Lex Davison's picture. No non-winner of any other AGP is accorded that honour in this book.

I never saw him drive at all. But it's clear from photos of him that he was a dominant figure in his day. You might recall this photo of him in the Maybach in 1951, chasing Doug Whiteford in the Lago Talbot...

Posted Image

He won this race when Whiteford erred... I believe he also probably won the 1957 AGP at Caversham... denied him by poor lapcharting.

But he lost many battles. As recounted, businesses failed under his managment, they were one by one sold up, he went to England to escape his financial crises. Alan said something about him living on whiskey or whatever.

Yet in Alan's oft-pronounced statement that he's 'here for a good time not a long time' I saw some reflection of his father's attitudes. He also has suffered severe degradation of his finances, though for seriously different reasons. But I think that perhaps his new wife and babies might revitalise his life and lead him to a course that will help him hang around a while yet.

He is, at this stage, IIRC, on the verge of outliving his father...

#3 Eric McLoughlin

Eric McLoughlin

• 1,623 posts

Posted 30 March 2003 - 15:43

Hopefully too AJ's appearances at the Goodwood FOS and Revival will help restore his enthusiasm for life in general and motor sport in particular.

#4 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 30 March 2003 - 22:24

Originally posted by Ray Bell
Peter Brock's words to me the very first time I met him were "Stan Jones was the best line driver I ever saw...").

Thanks Ray, but what is a "line driver" ??

#5 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 30 March 2003 - 22:43

Originally posted by Kpy

Why did his businesss fail, and how did this, and his divorce .........

Thanks for the input, guys. But can anyone fill me in on the above in more detail ??

#6 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,264 posts

Posted 30 March 2003 - 22:55

Peter Brock is right into precision...

To him, a 'line driver' is a driver who picks and follows good lines through corners.

The actual circumstances were that Peter was at Catalina Park on a weekend off from the Army. He'd been conscripted with the first intake since the reintroduction of National Service during 1965 and was posted at Kapooka near Wagga Wagga in a medical unit.

I was on spectator control duty (in my best white overalls) at the end of January, 1966, and he was looking for someone to talk to. He'd come to Catalina for the first time and was with a couple of army guys who knew nothing or less about racing.

He stood beside me for a while during the Clubman practice session, then after a few laps he turned to me and pointed to Arnold Ahrenfeld in his Lotus Super 7 and said, "He's got the best line through there!" I could hardly disagree, I always thought Arnold was a pretty good driver.

So we got into a conversation about the drivers he'd seen racing over the many years of his upbringing, he having had the good fortune to have a father who was interested in racing.

As already recounted, he reckoned Jones had the best lines of any driver he'd seen. Mind you, he was a total Jack Brabham fan (especially in the coming year, as Jack started stringing WDC wins together!), but he still preferred the style shown by old Stan.

Perhaps it's a good thing that Stan got out of the country and was no longer playing the game when Peter was racing. Stan's last race, IIRC, was about 1961. Jack, however, came back to Australia after retiring and was then coerced into jumping into Touring Cars in the mid seventies.

Peter told me that he had serious reservations about beating Jack when this happened. He was, of course, at the height of his career at the time. "I still absolutely respect them because I know what they have done - ace acts behind the wheel. It's not good for you when you beat them, but I'll give ten points to Jack because he's still out there having a go!"

Another of our famous Touring Car drivers who put a great emphasis on lines was Bruce McPhee, who always refers to the 'fine line' that produces the best combination of lap time and minimal tyre wear. He's another one who can't be disregarded because of the results he achieved, especially (like Brock) at Bathurst.

Of course, for Peter to be respected in his views on these things, one has to have seen him put his own words into practice. His precise lines became a trademark of his driving, a lesson to many others. It's such a shame he only spent a few races in open wheelers...

Getting back to Stan Jones, I think you'd have to say that he stood out among our drivers of the fifties. Brabham shot off to Europe too early to make a dramatic impact, and never had a really front line car, though he and Jones battled at the Altona circuit in Victoria in some classic dices that Brock has firmly impressed in his memory banks.

Whiteford was a contemporary who had a similar precision, grafted into a burning desire to win and an ability to make a car sit up and beg, but he spoiled his lot to some degree by buying the 300S and not having one of the openwheelers during the late fifties when competition was at its most fierce. Nevertheless, it must be remembered he was ahead of Mildren when the tail shaft fell apart at Longford and the universal joint hit Mildren's helmet. And his temper was to cost him even that car, leaving him at the mercy of the benevolence of others in his later years.

The other driver who may have shone out beyond Jones was Ted Gray. Many would say that without taking breath, he having some staunch supporters among those who saw him progressing through the forties and into the fifties, both on dirt track speedways and on the road racing courses that came along. His greatest moments were stroking away in the lead at Bathurst in the AGP of 1958 and winning the first Gold Star race at Longford that same year...

...all of this in a home-built car powered by a Chevy engine.

This, of course, was all after Alf Barrett passed from the scene and before Frank Matich reached the front running ranks.

I hope that gives some insight into the scene of his time...

John Medley saw them all race, I didn't, only Whiteford in his production car days. I hope he logs in some time soon to give his views...

#7 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,264 posts

Posted 30 March 2003 - 23:02

I don't know if you've seen this before... but maybe it shows that there was some influence going from Stan to Alan...

Posted Image

I would have to say that my experience with Alan is such that I can imagine many could have been given short shrift by his father. An element of gruffness is there in their attitude... but I think he must have showed considerable restraint to accept the verdict after the final decision was made about the 1957 AGP and the win was given to Davison. Remembering that he'd lost to Davo when his chassis broke in two at Southport in 1954, of course, and he hadn't been in the hunt to win in either '55 or '56.

I have no doubt at all that he was really looking forward to taking the spoils that year...

The nickname 'Sorrowful' was remarkably prophetic.

Edited by Ray Bell, 12 February 2011 - 13:02.

#8 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 04:40

"Sorrowful Jones" is a Damon Runyon character portrayed by Bob Hope in an eponymous 1948/9 movie, one of several film versions of the story. "Little Miss Marker" was the original, Shirley Temple playing the title character, a child left as an IOU with slippery bookmaker "Sorrowful Jones."

Could it be the timing of the Hope movie's release resonated with some feature in Stan's career?

Frank S

#9 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,264 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 05:12

That could well be the key...

At Nuriootpa (held January 2 1950) Jones suffered pistons siezing in practice, then after overnight repair was leading the 1500cc race when it overheated after four laps. This was the meeting referred to by the magazine note that called him 'Sorrowful.'

Assuming the movie was out early in 1949, he'd run a moderately successful meeting at Fishermen's Bend in February in his TC, missed both Woodside and Nuriootpa meetings as well (it seems) as Bathurst. Then he got to Woodside in October with the HRG and scored a second on its debut. This was supercharged by the end of the month for the only other meeting that year, Fishermen's bend again, but blew a head gasket during the first race.

You could say, I suppose, that a pattern was emerging...

#10 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 05:45

A 1950s magazine story on SJ confirmed the movie origin of the "Sorrowful" sibriquet and, IIRC, made the point that it wasn't really appropriate.
And, no, I can't remember which magazine (except that it was one of the Australian ones)

#11 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,264 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 07:14

I think the point is, David, that at the time it seems to have been given him, it was fairly appropriate.

After all, he had a four year old brat around his ankles and a car that was playing up...

#12 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 10:42

Sorry

Can I be rude enough to take you guys back to my original question.
In particular - what caused the bankruptcy?
But all the other points I raised are important to me at the moment. So any crumbs will be appreciated.
Thanks guys.

#13 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,264 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 10:52

He was a car dealer...

Bad managment has been cited in conversations, but a willingness to spend next week's earnings on this week's racing was a part of it too.

#14 Leo D

Leo D

• 426 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 13:01

I'm not sure if this information will be of much help, but Stan & Alan Jones were featured on the ABC (Australia) series Australian Story. The 30 minute documentary from memory would answer some of the questions that you are asking.

http://www.abc.net.a...xt/s1518446.htm

#15 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:00

He was a car dealer...

Bad managment has been cited in conversations, but a willingness to spend next week's earnings on this week's racing was a part of it too.

Very true, here we have two BRATS in a pod ,father and son................................................................................................ :down: :down: :down:

#16 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 05:00

C'mon now, Alan Jones a 'brat', really? Surely not?

#17 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:27

This link works:

http://www.abc.net.a...asties/ep08.htm

#18 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 08:32

Originally posted by Paul Rochdale
C'mon now, Alan Jones a 'brat', really? Surely not?

Oh yes, yes, yes, after seeing him with his ANTICS at national panasonic Formula Pacific round @ Calder Park in 1982....................................

#19 johnwilliamdavies

johnwilliamdavies

• 968 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 17:22

Does anybody know where Stan Jones was born?

-------------
Welsh Motor Sport History

Advertisement

#20 Leo D

Leo D

• 426 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:47

Hope my link actually works this time.....

KJJ kindly posted the link... which worked.... to the main page of the relevant Australian Story.

Warrandyte is listed as the birthplace of Stan Jones.... Warrandyte is a northern suburb in the city of Melbourne.. State of Victoria...

http://www.abc.net.a...xt/s1518446.htm

#21 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,264 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:52

Originally posted by Leo D
.....Warrandyte is listed as the birthplace of Stan Jones.... Warrandyte is a northern suburb in the city of Melbourne.. State of Victoria...

Actually, it says that Warrandyte is where his grandfather raised him. Nothing there about place of birth, sorry.

#22 Leo D

Leo D

• 426 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 06:12

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ray Bell

Actually, it says that Warrandyte is where his grandfather raised him. Nothing there about place of birth, sorry[QUOTE]

Your right Ray, it doesn't say that he was born in Warrandyte, only raised there by his Grandfather.... So the question of where he was actually born remains.

BTW, did you see the ABC show in question when it was aired?

#23 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:15

Actually, it says that Warrandyte is where his grandfather raised him. Nothing there about place of birth, sorry.

I think he was adopted.....................

#24 Brian Lear

Brian Lear

• 122 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 12:01

Originally posted by cosworth bdg
I think he was adopted.....................

Peter
It was Christian who was adopted by Alan and Bev

Brian Lear

#25 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 01:16

Originally posted by Brian Lear

Peter
It was Christian who was adopted by Alan and Bev

Brian Lear

Thanks Brian, You are very correct......................................Peter Nightingale.......

#26 Martin Rhodes

Martin Rhodes

• 1 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 09:09

Leo D is making it all up

#27 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:11

Spotted this fabulous poster of Stan at the McLaren Trust in Auckland NZ....195???? :|

Posted Image

#28 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:39

Thta's the cover from the 1955 NZ Grand Prix programme. You might enjoy a trip round the sergent.com.au site, mate...;)

Edited by GD66, 14 March 2010 - 04:41.

#29 JimBradshaw

JimBradshaw

• 164 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:09

I need a little background on Stan, father of Alan, Jones.

Was he a great driver??

Why did his businesss fail, and how did this, and his divorce, affect the upbringing and early racing career of Alan Stanley Jones, F1 World Champion 1980 ?

Kpy.

Dynasty.. ABC TV.. covered Stan superficially...an Errol Flynn character..yes.. but a brilliant racing driver.

Growing up in Australia in the 1950's we had Icons.

Bradman, Thomson , Landy, Sedgman and JONES were household names in our pre television world.

Repco, Whiteford, Davison , were also famous, but somehow, Stan Jones captured our minds..he was our motor racing Neale Fraser

Jones won the 1954 NZGP, against the V16 BRM.that resulted in an invitaton to test for Ferrari... .not taken up due to family and commercial reasons .
it was it

At Albert Park 1956 . it was observed that only two 250F drivers took Golf Links Bend flat........Moss and Jones

Sorry , but i was actually there !

At Ballarrat 1961, Jones took on Hill, Gurney,Ireland and Flockhart in his outdated T51...Dan Gurney came on the PA and said "Wow... he is some driver that Stan Jones"

Calder , January 1962, Jones, in his T51, took on the emerging Bib Stillwell in his T53 and it resulted in the most intense races ever seen in Victoria....no SCW RCN news in those days.

The Sydney press were still pumping up FM and his early cars

Bruce Walton was there in his hill climb car..amazing..but SCW missed that.

Anyway, Stan Jones deserves a posthumous.."Patron of the Meeting" accolade......

Soz to be real

JB

#30 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:28

JB -

Thanks, but the request I made in March 2003 was for an article published the following month.

#31 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:01

Thta's the cover from the 1955 NZ Grand Prix programme. You might enjoy a trip round the sergent.com.au site, mate...;)

Tah muchly :up:

#32 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:06

Sorry , but i was actually there !

At Ballarat 1961, Jones took on Hill, Gurney,Ireland and Flockhart in his outdated T51...Dan Gurney came on the PA and said "Wow... he is some driver that Stan Jones"

Why are you sorry.....I'm jealous as hell :rolleyes:

So did Dan the Man come on the PA between races?? and what did he race??

#33 JimBradshaw

JimBradshaw

• 164 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:25

Why are you sorry.....I'm jealous as hell :rolleyes:

So did Dan the Man come on the PA between races?? and what did he race??

Dan Gurney was driving a 1960 works 2.5 Litrre rear engined BRM, as was G Hill ..Innes Ireland a works 2.5 Lotus 18 and Ron Flockhart a works T53 Lowline Cooper...courtesy of JB.

After the heats, Dan Gurney was interviewed over the PA and was asked about the Final.

His commentsiover the PA were.."Stan Jones worries me ..he is some driver that guy"

JB

#34 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,264 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:29

Originally posted by 275 GTB-4
.....So did Dan the Man come on the PA between races?? and what did he race??

You're kidding?

The BRM 2.5 rear engined car that had just finished the 1960 F1 season a few months earlier.

Do you not remember the photo I posted a couple of years back with Dan at Warwick Farm?

#35 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,778 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:32

Dan was driving a stolen car. :wave:

#36 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,264 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:10

Originally posted by Catalina Park
Dan was driving a stolen car. :wave:

So true... and a superseded model at that!

#37 JimBradshaw

JimBradshaw

• 164 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:17

So true... and a superseded model at that!

What does this have it do with Stan Jones?

JB

#38 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,264 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 21:16

Poor Mick needed some information and he asked for it here...

Don't get so toey. Anyone reading the thread will acknowledge that Stan doing battle with lanky DSG was nothing to be sneezed at.

#39 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,778 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:10

What does this have it do with Stan Jones?

JB

Why should we stay on topic in your thread when you don't stay on topic in any other threads. :wave:

Advertisement

#40 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,666 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:50

I see Stan's AGP trophy is going up for auction.

#41 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 14:09

Stan Jones did some racing in the early 1950s in an XK120 in both his own car and a cat that he anmd lex davidson brought 50/50 to race at Fishermans Bend october 1952
Details of his involvemt with XK120's is in our book

Now Available and almost half of the limited edition sold

The long awaited for, second edition of the book "the Jaguar XK in
Australia" is in fact 1/3 of a 3 volume trilogy.
This just on 500 page, large size format 335mm x 247mm (13"x 10"), full colour book covers
the histories of some almost 1000 XK120's in Africa, Asia, Australia/NZ and
South America.
It contains almost 1,100 photos of which only 25 appear in the original volume.

Sample Pages at http://www.jtpublications.com.au/book/
Visit: www.jtpublications.com.au for full details

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#42 Repco22

Repco22

• 975 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:13

Peter Brock's words to me the very first time I met him were "Stan Jones was the best line driver I ever saw...").

Thanks Ray, but what is a "line driver" ??

Don't get me wrong-- Stan was my boyhood hero. I even met him on one of his visits to Caversham. But the above reminds me of a review of the '56 "Olympic" AGP in a popular Australian magazine of the period; "Sportscars and Specials". The editor was Ian Fraser and it was always full of delightful pics. The article showed a pic of Moss giving a voluntary tutorial to some Australian drivers, I think including Reg Hunt. Stirl was telling an apparently appreciative Stan that he was entering a fast sweeper at Albert Park too tightly and was consequently wasting time "wheel-sawing" his way out of it. Obviously a valued lesson.

#43 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,264 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:59

Sounds like it, Rod...

Maybe Brock was recalling him in those later years, the 250F period, and maybe even transferring the memory to the recall he had of Jones dicing with Brabham at Altona - something that he always spoke of with enthusiasm.

There's no doubt that Brock picked up on the late entry thing, if you ever watched him entering corners like Peters and Dandenong it was always done precisely and sharply.

#44 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,666 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:14

Don't get me wrong-- Stan was my boyhood hero. I even met him on one of his visits to Caversham. But the above reminds me of a review of the '56 "Olympic" AGP in a popular Australian magazine of the period; "Sportscars and Specials". The editor was Ian Fraser and it was always full of delightful pics. The article showed a pic of Moss giving a voluntary tutorial to some Australian drivers, I think including Reg Hunt. Stirl was telling an apparently appreciative Stan that he was entering a fast sweeper at Albert Park too tightly and was consequently wasting time "wheel-sawing" his way out of it. Obviously a valued lesson.

Must have been somthing in the water of the Jones boys going on how they both drove at there various top years.

#45 KarlLeFong

KarlLeFong

• 114 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:38

An auction is to be held in Melbourne, Saturday 19th Februuary, at the premises of The Delage Garage, Richmond.

Among the 1,000 or so lots offered can be found the following:

Item 968

1 Stan Jones 1959 Australian Grand Prix Longford Tasmania Trophy , Framed Sash And Photograph
GST Included in Sale Price

My information is that the VHRR have been approached to bid but are not interested.

I would have thought this item would be a brilliant addition to the VHRR clubrooms.

The auctioneers are unable to provide a price guide, but surely such a valuable piece of our motor racing history is of interest to somebody.

The link to the site is:

http://www.pickles.c...n/bstid-2000068

Karl

#46 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,264 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:55

Funnily enough, the trophy doesn't show in either of the photos I have of Stan after the race...

There's the one of Alan and the crew around the car and another one of them on the grid with plenty of onlookers.

#47 ron simmonds

ron simmonds

• 56 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 00:54

Funnily enough, the trophy doesn't show in either of the photos I have of Stan after the race...

There's the one of Alan and the crew around the car and another one of them on the grid with plenty of onlookers.

I went to the auction at the Delage Garage last Saturday on behalf of the VHRR, but was out of the bidding when it reached $4500 ,being sold to an unknown buyer who also had the winning bid on a group of 7 trophies which included a silver tray won by Stan.
Regards Ron.

Edited by ron simmonds, 21 February 2011 - 06:01.

#48 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,666 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:33

I went to the auction at the Delage Garage last Saturday on behalf of the VHRR, but was out of the bidding when it reached $4500 ,being sold to an unknow buyer who also had the winning bid on a group of 7 trophies which included a silver tray won by Stan.
Regards Ron.

what another $100 0dd dollars and you let it go?
shakes head.

#49 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,874 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:43

I went to the auction at the Delage Garage last Saturday on behalf of the VHRR, but was out of the bidding when it reached $4500 ,being sold to an unknow buyer who also had the winning bid on a group of 7 trophies which included a silver tray won by Stan.
Regards Ron.

I don't know who the winner of the trophies is ( I wasn't there to avoid any temptation), but if I was to guess it would an old friend of Stan's who runs a shop in Kew. I know his name, but won't out him here. He worked with my late father at Peter Robinson Motors - the Lilydale Holden dealer in the 1960s.

Stephen

#50 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,666 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:17

I don't know who the winner of the trophies is ( I wasn't there to avoid any temptation), but if I was to guess it would an old friend of Stan's who runs a shop in Kew. I know his name, but won't out him here. He worked with my late father at Peter Robinson Motors - the Lilydale Holden dealer in the 1960s.

Stephen

in my area.
gee as a kid i drove with parents by the dealership every weekend for about a decade we had a farm of Hill road Gruyere