Photo

CASERTA - at last!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 19:19

With grateful thanks to Neville Mackay I can finally reveal the Caserta circuit to those who are interested therein. Neville sent me a photocopy of an article about the tragic 1967 F.3 race which included a sketch of about three-quarters of the circuit.

Thanks to Multimap I found it very quickly and here it is:

Posted Image
I have blanked out the surrounding roads in order to make the circuit stand out. The aforementioned accident took place around the gentle right hand curve on the right hand leg of the triangle. The start and finish point was around the mid point of the bottom section. (The circuit orientation is actually with the start finish straight running north/south.)

There are 2 possibilities regarding the corner at the bottom right so I have left both roads on the plan. My guess is that they missed the first right hand bend and took the 2nd but I could be wrong.

Ironically, I passed over the top corner on that very autostrada TWICE last week but never realised how close I was to seeing the track. Doesn't it make you want to SPIT?

Advertisement

#2 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,728 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 20:40

Thanks both Barry & Neville. I too have been waiting a long time to see a map of this circuit.
:clap:

Incidentally Barry (& Darren ) , don't know if you've seen this weeks Autosport, but they're considering extending Pau in order to attract CART. I can't work out how to include an attachment but this is the multimap reference

http://www.multimap....1&multimap.y=97

The cars would turn left after Buisson onto Avenue De Bareges, then right into Rue Georges Clemenceau before rejoining the current circuit.

Chris

#3 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 21:09

Mmmmmmmmmmm!!! :

Nice idea but CART is almost a dead duck!

#4 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 21:23

GREAT, this is surely one of the most unknown italian track on the web: I searched info for a long, but I could'nt find anything.

It's quite interesting triangle shape: Americans are famous for ovals, we had many triangle: I found Brescia 1921 (Circuito della Fascia d'Oro), Circuito del Savio, Brescia-Cremona-Mantova 1907 used also for Mille Miglia 1940: anything else? :)

Ciao,
Guido
www.gdecarli.tk

#5 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 23:40

Do you know track direction? Is it clockwise?

Thanks

Ciao
Guido
www.gdecarli.tk

#6 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 06:53

Yes, Guido, it is clockwise.