Photo

Indy GP - Hotels

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 dbigwood

dbigwood

• 27 posts

Posted 16 August 2003 - 22:10

Anybody got any recommendations for hotels for the Indy F1 GP period (Thurs-Sun). Travelling there from Boston. Probably hiring a car.

Is it better to stay downtown or nearer to track?

Do cabs run to/from track reliably - what's that like on race day - presumably bad?

Appreciate it if anyone has any first hand knowledge.

-DAB

Advertisement

#2 troyf1

troyf1

• 2,551 posts

Posted 17 August 2003 - 04:53

The hotels are a joke as far as prices. If you haven't booked one by now it may be tough find one for any kind of a reasonable price. The farther away from the track the better IMO. I stayed in a hotel in North Indy last year. Other than the hotel prices it was a great experience overall :up: :up:

#3 917k

• 2,966 posts

Posted 17 August 2003 - 17:51

Due to the date change for next years' race,alot of hotels had not adjusted their rates[as of a few weeks ago]and quite a few got bookings for 50-60 bucks a day![these are Indy Hotels,not way off in the sticks.]
If its 2004 your interested in,check the rates quick!

#4 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,609 posts

Posted 18 August 2003 - 11:22

That is brilliant!!! I never thought about that - thanks 917k :up:

#5 FerrariFanInTexas

FerrariFanInTexas

• 1,157 posts

Posted 18 August 2003 - 12:15

dbigwood:

As the others have said, the hotel prices are out of sight. I stay at a hotel out in eastern Indiana and just drive 60 miles into Indianapolis each day. I park downtown and take the Race Shuttle (buy the weekend pass, iy's a grat value). The buses run frequently, take a back way to the track (no traffic), and drop you off a block or so from the main entrance. I've never had any difficulty or unreasonable delay getting to and from the track.

If you can afford the rates, stay at one of the nicer downtown hotels. Most of the teams stay in them, sort of scattered around downtown. Walking around downtown early in the morning, I saw the BAR and Jag teams leaving their hotel, and at another hotel they had a display of the Williams-BMW car, which led me to believe they must have been staying there. Downtown Indy is a nice place. It would be nicer if the hotels didn't try to completely rape the race fans!

CAC

#6 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,913 posts

Posted 18 August 2003 - 12:37

I was quite late to book a hotel last year (March) and booked a hotel in Frankfurt, Indiana. It was a 40 mi. drive but not a very big problem.

#7 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 18 August 2003 - 14:24

If this helps at all. I booked early using expedia.com and got a great hotel car rental package. My hotel is in Carmel. About 20 or so minutes away from the track.

#8 felttip

felttip

• 170 posts

Posted 18 August 2003 - 14:53

Has anyone tried just showing up in Indy and finding a hotel once you get there? I know it sounds like a risky and time-consuming effort, but armed with phone numbers for each hotel, you might find some last-minute cancellations.

#9 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,609 posts

Posted 18 August 2003 - 17:14

I've called 3 hotels and they are all on to us!

So since 2004 is the last year I think we may RV it :up:

#10 felttip

felttip

• 170 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 10:10

Originally posted by aportinga
I've called 3 hotels and they are all on to us!

So since 2004 is the last year I think we may RV it :up:

That may be the way to go. Just park the RV in Lot 2 for the weekend, a nonstop party. :up: Really, all I need is a place to sleep and shower. I don't need a fancy hotel for three days.

If you're really cheap, you can wait until a week before, or even the day before, and then call up some hotels. There's bound to be some cancellations, it's just not easy finding out where or when they happen.

#11 atbrady2000

atbrady2000

• 128 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 17:14

You need to cancel like a month or more in advance, as I am learning now I am trying to cancel my second reservatioin for this year and they are saying it is too late, I am still waiting to hear from the manager! So I might have a deal for a hotel this year, if any one is interested??

#12 CONOSUR

CONOSUR

• 10,647 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 18:44

Wow. What a rip. I can cancel up to 6pm the day of the reservation. I reserve 5 rooms every year and still have two rooms that I might give up if nobody takes 'em.

:smoking:

#13 CONOSUR

CONOSUR

• 10,647 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 15:06

Originally posted by CONOSUR
...still have two rooms that I might give up if nobody takes 'em.

Partiers only need apply. :drunk:

#14 Cincy

Cincy

• 12 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 08:29

Try the Fairlield Inn College Park, we booked 3 rooms yesterday online at $139.00. The hotel is just off I-465. Dinning all around and there is a Japanese Restaurant 1 block away where Honda Team Personel had dinner Friday and Saturday of Race Weekend. Jump on I-465 and you are at the Track Exit in 15 minutes. :up:

#15 MarkWRX

MarkWRX

• 844 posts

Posted 26 August 2003 - 18:06

We stay with friends in Lebanon, Indiana. There are a few nice and fairly inexpensive hotels there. Also in Carmel. Traffic into Speedway isn't bad at all even on Sunday and the rates are much cheaper than the rip off hotels in the city.

For anyone traveling with kids, I highly recommend the Indianapolis Childrens Museum for a side trip.

Mark

#16 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,609 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 11:58

Originally posted by atbrady2000
You need to cancel like a month or more in advance, as I am learning now I am trying to cancel my second reservatioin for this year and they are saying it is too late, I am still waiting to hear from the manager! So I might have a deal for a hotel this year, if any one is interested??

Nope! I am at the same hotel and just confirmed my 3 rooms.... I also inquired regarding the above and they indicated too me that at least for this hotel it's 24hour in advance.

#17 atbrady2000

atbrady2000

• 128 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 15:51

Originally posted by aportinga

Nope! I am at the same hotel and just confirmed my 3 rooms.... I also inquired regarding the above and they indicated too me that at least for this hotel it's 24hour in advance.

It was a back up hotel and I got the manager to cancel my reservation.

#18 CONOSUR

CONOSUR

• 10,647 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 16:12

Originally posted by CONOSUR
...still have two rooms that I might give up if nobody takes 'em.

Too late. Done. Gone. Taken.

#19 Wheels

Wheels

• 242 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 19:08

Just cxld at Ramada Inn & Conf. Ctr. (317)787-8341 520nE Thompson Rd., Indianapolis...
Rm was $175.00 per night...

Advertisement

#20 Bogman

Bogman

• 1,700 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 19:28

Originally posted by felttip
Has anyone tried just showing up in Indy and finding a hotel once you get there? I know it sounds like a risky and time-consuming effort, but armed with phone numbers for each hotel, you might find some last-minute cancellations.

I travelled to Indy at the very last minute this year....basically was sitting in my office (northern New York) looking at first practice session times and said, **** it, I'm going. Drove 12 hours...arrived at the track 8 am Saturday morning, go a ticket no problem. As for hotel, I was so tired I just needed a simple place....I got a room at the Dollar Inn (I-465 North ring road) without a reservation for $46. The drive back was hell because it was raining horrendously all through northern Ohio and western New York.

#21 felttip

felttip

• 170 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 01:19

Sounds good. I'm sure that there are enough hotel and motel rooms during the USGP when there's only about 120,000 attending, when the Indy 500 can have over 200,000 people in the city.