Photo

Phipps Photographic and other photo archives

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 chrisj

chrisj

• 1,000 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 18:31

A lot of the Grand Prix photos in my old Road & Track and Autosport magazines from the '70's are credited to "Phipps photographic". Is this David Phipps? Is this company still in business and do they have an online archive? I haven't been able to find anything recent.

Advertisement

#2 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 19:24

David Phipps's photos are lodged with Sutton Photographic today. If there's anything you require which was shot by David contact them. We have all of Geoffrey Goddard's, Franco Lini's and Zooom Photographic's archives plus the latter half of Nigel Snowdon's while Ted Walker at Ferret Photographic has Michael Cooper-Evans's, Bill Gavin's, Jerry Sloniger's and much much more. The Zagari Collection is today owned and run by our friends Matt and Di Spitzley.

DCN

#3 lynmeredith

lynmeredith

• 174 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 22:22

I've often think of David when I look through copies of Autocourse. Surely the world's tallest photographer! Would I be right in thinking that he is no longer with us, Doug?

Lyn M

#4 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 22:27

Originally posted by Doug Nye
David Phipps's photos are lodged with Sutton Photographic today. If there's anything you require which was shot by David contact them. We have all of Geoffrey Goddard's, Franco Lini's and Zooom Photographic's archives plus the latter half of Nigel Snowdon's while Ted Walker at Ferret Photographic has Michael Cooper-Evans's, Bill Gavin's, Jerry Slongier's and much much more. The Zagari Collection is today owned and run by our friends Matt and Di Spitzley.

DCN

:love: Sounds interesting but not easy to handle.;) So much material, gosh.

#5 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 13:19

Originally posted by lynmeredith
I've often think of David when I look through copies of Autocourse. Surely the world's tallest photographer! Would I be right in thinking that he is no longer with us, Doug? Lyn M

Nope. David is VERY much still around, living near Diss in East Anglia.

DCN

#6 lynmeredith

lynmeredith

• 174 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 03:20

Originally posted by Doug Nye

Nope. David is VERY much still around, living near Diss in East Anglia.

DCN

Well that's good news. I made the wrong supposition. A pleasant chap, I always thought.

Lyn M

#7 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 15:17

I am now going through photographs we want to use in Beaky's book ( www.beakysims.com ), Dave has a lot of mid-70's prints from Phipps that we'd love to use. As this thread is now 15 years old, do we know if Mr.Phipps is still active with his archive?

#8 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 15:44

Ah, ok lads, have heard from a reliable source (one Mr.Nye) that the archive initially went to Sutton Photographic but now resides within the Autosport/LAT collection.

#9 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,059 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 15:51

At one time I searched for the photograph collection of Patrick Benjafield.

All the family could tell me was that somebody came and took it away.

Does it survive? If so, where is it?

RGDS RLT

#10 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 15:54

Rupertlt1, your enquiry needs a thread of its' own!

#11 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,059 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 15:59

Rupertlt1, your enquiry needs a thread of its' own!

You could be right, although many other photo collections are mentioned in this thread. I hope I haven't violated thread etiquette.

RGDS RLT