Photo

Roy Parnell

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Adam F

Adam F

• 430 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 16:48

I am seeking further information on Roy Parnell (born May 1923 in Derby).

He was Reg Parnell's nephew and first appeared driving cars from his uncle's stable in minor races and hillclimbs in 1946/47.
He later became test driver for the Aston Martin sports car team during the late 1950s, when Reg was also connected with the team.

Does anyone have any further information on his career?
What happened to him after racing........is he still alive?

Advertisement

#2 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,737 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 23:39

Sorry, I can't help. :down:

I just want to thank you for clearing up something for me. Whenever I see the name 'Tim Parnell', I immediately think Reg's nephew. Clearly i must have my wires crossed and be thinking of Roy.

Surely someone can help Adam!

After all it isn't a russian quiz or a portuguese school assignment! ;)

#3 Milan Fistonic

Milan Fistonic

• 1,769 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 03:38

Roy Parnell gets three brief mentions in John Wyer's book.

At the end of 1953 I had hired Roy Parnell, nephew of Reg, to take charge of Experimental Test and he proved a most valuable asset. For a time I continued to share the testing with him but as the gap between us became greater I was content to leave more and more to him. Roy was particularly good on the banked high-speed circuit at M.I.R.A., where he and his opposite number at Jaguar, Norman Dewis, took it in turns to make fastst lap. At M.I.R.A. there are three banked turns, each struck at a different radius and it required nice judgemnet and some considerable courage to take the right line on to the banking each time, which is essential for a fast lap. The time was to come when Roy was lapping at 155 m.p.h. whereas I, in the same car, was frightening myself at 145 m.p.h. and I knew it was time to give up.

When Reg was appointed Racing Manager at Aston Martin he hired Roy as his deputy and Crew Chief.

Roy combined, in a very high degree, a methodical intelligence with the rare ability, which he shares with Uhlenhaut, of being able to drive the cars as fast as most of the racing drivers - and sometimes faster.

And finally he was the driver when Aston Martin did the 0 -100 - 0 in under 30 seconds advertising campaign for the new DB4.