Photo

Gran Turismo 4

• Please log in to reply
963 replies to this topic

#1 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,797 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 00:28

In completely unrelated news I've just been playing the GT4 Prologue disc (from Japan) on a Logitech GT wheel . . .frickin awesome fun! :D

Advertisement

#2 baddog

baddog

• 29,769 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 02:41

Originally posted by Ricardo F1
In completely unrelated news I've just been playing the GT4 Prologue disc (from Japan) on a Logitech GT wheel . . .frickin awesome fun! :D

So is GT4 going to be the 'wow' game Ive really been hoping for since GT3 (which I do like very much by the way for all its faults)

Shaun

#3 Earthling

Earthling

• 3,599 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 15:24

Apart from the enhanced graphics, more tracks, cars, and challenges....its the same in the end, another Gran Turismo title.
It seems to me that it is what GT2 was to GT1 that GT 4 is going to be to GT3.

#4 baddog

baddog

• 29,769 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 19:54

GT2 was WAY better than GT1 to me though.. I mean I really really loved GT2 in a way far too personal for a computer game ;)

#5 Viktor

Viktor

• 3,412 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 20:00

After playing alot PGR2 with XBox live in the last week and seing how good the network implementation is in that game it will be very intressting to se if GT4 can top PGR2 in that area.

GT2 was a MUCH better game then GT1.

/Viktor

#6 TT6

TT6

• 3,571 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 08:15

Originally posted by Earthling
Apart from the enhanced graphics, more tracks, cars, and challenges....its the same in the end, another Gran Turismo title.
It seems to me that it is what GT2 was to GT1 that GT 4 is going to be to GT3.

I really hope thet's the case with GT4. Essentially the same, but more (and slightly better).

But Ricardo F1, how does it feel drivewise? Is it as good as GT3? Or even better?

#7 Earthling

Earthling

• 3,599 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 18:02

GT4 should be better than PGR2 simply cuz u can tune ur cars and change so many things in the settings, where as u cannot do a thing to any of the cars in PGR2...making it seem more like arcade racing, which is still alot of fun.
GT4 is more to the extreme racer who wants to setup his car and fiddle around with it.

#8 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,797 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 18:40

Feel thus far is great . . . especially with the logitech wheel. Hard to judge though until I see the A.I. - that's what I'm waiting to see.

#9 Linus27

Linus27

• 4,895 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 00:42

The AI in prologue is not that different than GT3. I am hoping that the full release of GT4 will have far better AI.

#10 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,797 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 01:03

Originally posted by Linus27
The AI in prologue is not that different than GT3. I am hoping that the full release of GT4 will have far better AI.

What A.I.? All I've played thus far are time trials . . .

#11 Linus27

Linus27

• 4,895 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 03:58

Do you have the full version of prologue??

#12 JohnE

JohnE

• 90 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 04:37

So when is GT4 officially going to be released, this spring sometime?

#13 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,797 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 21:15

Originally posted by Linus27
Do you have the full version of prologue??

Yeah, but I've only been popping into someone's office and playing it when I get the chance and he's had it on time trials I guess. My Japanese ain't that good either. :)

I believe GT 4 is out in the summer (June?)

#14 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 22,919 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 04:10

I use the logitech wheel which is around 18 months old I think; I use it on my lap ... I suspect that I could not use the new wheel on my lap because you need to turn it 270 degrees ... this could cause some problems. I have now driven GT3 against some of my friends children :lol: :blush: and I am quite a bitter quicker, to their non plussed bemusement, as adults are not supposed to be even competent at games. I said to them I was fast because I was smooth, but they laughed at me and said that sometimes I almost tear the wheel off (I guess when I correct an error). If that is truly the case, I think with the new wheel I will need better support for it than my lap provides?

#15 Earthling

Earthling

• 3,599 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 14:33

I hated the rally races in Prologue btw....
Im sick of challenging the computer A.I. and finishing all sorts of trials (been there and done that in all other GT games), and been spoilt with playing PGR2 online on the Xbox that all i want is to challenge other ppl in GT4, but feel that i wont have the will since getting good cars, tuning, and setting up will take a millenia.
:|

#16 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 22,919 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 14:42

Originally posted by Earthling
I hated the rally races in Prologue btw....
Im sick of challenging the computer A.I. and finishing all sorts of trials (been there and done that in all other GT games), and been spoilt with playing PGR2 online on the Xbox that all i want is to challenge other ppl in GT4, but feel that i wont have the will since getting good cars, tuning, and setting up will take a millenia.
:|

Just ask for setups here! Or elsewhere, there'll be plenty around. Then adapt them a touch to suit your driving style and the track. tiny adjustments don't take much time, and they are fun. But your point about racing over the net better tuned cars is an interesting point that I hadn't considered.

#17 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 22,919 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 13:45

Sorry about this, but my son is keen on GT4 - let alone me - but we cannot finish GT3.

We've done all the races in the races section, the distance races, and in the other area the races and the times trials. Gold in all the licenses as well.

The percentage is 99%.

Any ideas?

Is there anything special if you do get 100%?

#18 Arrows4Ever

Arrows4Ever

• 831 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 14:41

I recall reading somewhere that you cannot achieve 100% on GT3.

No matter what you do, the max is always 99%.

So, with that in mind... CONGRATULATIONS! You've finished the game! :clap:

#19 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 18:19

Originally posted by Arrows4Ever
I recall reading somewhere that you cannot achieve 100% on GT3.

No matter what you do, the max is always 99%.

So, with that in mind... CONGRATULATIONS! You've finished the game! :clap:

Yes you can.
I have 100%

Remind you, arcademode Complex String needs gold too...

Advertisement

#20 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 22,919 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 11:00

Originally posted by The Kanisteri

Yes you can.
I have 100%

Remind you, arcademode Complex String needs gold too...

Yes, we did complex string in the 911 ... a few of seconds under the time! I did that!

How many cars did you buy? My son says we should buy all the cars to get to 100%.

#21 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 23:38

Yes you can.
I have 100%

I don't believe you.
The Ritz section kicked my arse and I had to forefit a perfect score to finish. The third or fourth race was a bastard, I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to set up the car.
I'm at 99% and haven't finished the game because I'm pissed off still.

#22 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 12:54

Originally posted by Ivan

I don't believe you.

Thank you about calling me lier... :p

Posted Image

#23 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 13:07

Originally posted by Melbourne Park
How many cars did you buy? My son says we should buy all the cars to get to 100%.

Owning cars don't give percentages.

You need to get all licences - doesn't matter is it gold, silver or bronze.
You need to beat all races and all championships with gold in all levels - Gran Turismo mode
You need to complete all Arcade races with beginner and amateur level.
You need to beat all Time Attack challenges with best time ~ gold.

That shoul do the 100%

#24 Brian O Flaherty

Brian O Flaherty

• 2,668 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 13:29

I read somewhere that once you have completed all ENGLISH levels you have to load the saved game in the GERMAN LANGUAGE and some VAUXHALL races becomes OPEL races (Vauxhall is England's equivalent to Germany's Opel). You have to buy Opel's equiavalent to the VX220. I'm not sure if this is true as I'm too lazy to get past the 95 or 6 that I'm at but I have heard this to be true.

#25 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 13:37

Originally posted by Brian O Flaherty
I read somewhere that once you have completed all ENGLISH levels you have to load the saved game in the GERMAN LANGUAGE and some VAUXHALL races becomes OPEL races (Vauxhall is England's equivalent to Germany's Opel). You have to buy Opel's equiavalent to the VX220. I'm not sure if this is true as I'm too lazy to get past the 95 or 6 that I'm at but I have heard this to be true.

Lol, no idea about that, but I have two memorycards and with secondary one I drove till got all Opel cars and then bought them into primary memorycard. :o)

#26 JDeRosa

JDeRosa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 16:33

Ricardo, any more info on GT4's gameplay yet?

#27 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,797 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 18:38

Originally posted by JDeRosa
Ricardo, any more info on GT4's gameplay yet?

Alas haven't had much chance to sit with it - too frickin busy! :mad:

#28 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 22,919 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 20:40

Originally posted by Brian O Flaherty

Ooh maybe that's it.

We've done all the races, in both modes, won everything. Got all the licenses, gold ones. I think maybe not all the bronzes though but all silvers and golds.

Also maybe its the percentage of wins. Our win percentage is less than 75%. Kanisteri yours is 100%. Do you not tolerate failure and restart? ;) :lol:

We'll try the German Opel - sounds like fun and my son speaks German - maybe it'll be good for him at least!

#29 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 20:52

Kanisteri yours is 100%. Do you not tolerate failure and restart? ;) :lol:

pfffft...I'm just perfect. :p

#30 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 02:32

Thank you about calling me lier... :p

I think it's funny you took a picture of your tv!!! :rotfl:
Well, how did you win the Vitz section?

#31 weasle

weasle

• 546 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 02:45

supposedly with 500 cars which is awesome but no licence for porsche, ferrari or lamborghini.. that takes alot away in my opinion. should be great none the less..

#32 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 22,919 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 02:50

Well, how did you win the Vitz section?

What is the Vitz section?

#33 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 05:21

What is the Vitz section?

I think he means Professional Toyota Vitz/Yaris tournament.
If I remember right Stage 11 is pain in the ass race, but eventually quite easy.

Ivan,
Just concentrate on one pitstop because A1 does two - they will pit on 9th or 10th lap second time. :p
Also you have to adjust chassis and suspension enough soft for better handling. Gearing differences need to fit on powerrange. And ...forget automatic gearshifting.

#34 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 22,919 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 05:37

... And ...forget automatic gearshifting.

All our races were with automatic, but for most Gold level driving tests and that 911 special stage drive, manual was needed.

#35 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 08:36

automatic is so damn boring!

#36 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 22,919 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 21:42

automatic is so damn boring!

Yes, well, I now find I cannot drive the cars properly with auto, as the throttle control with auto requires a lot more light use of the brakes. Its much much easier to drive quickly with manual, as soon as you learn the car and the track. But setting up the gear ratios for each track would be quite a bore. We've just changed the overall gearing and left the ratios the same, which is not at all optimal. The auto hides all that.

I have not been able to calibrate the wheel to use the thumb buttons though, and I worry that one day I'll snap the paddles off as sometimes I hit them too heavily ... but I am trying to develop a light touch ... :|

I was very surprised in the last gold driver test in the Toyota how much faster it was to leave the car in a higher gear than felt right, I presumed because of traction around Monte Carlo.

#37 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 17:32

I think he means Professional Toyota Vitz/Yaris tournament.
If I remember right Stage 11 is pain in the ass race, but eventually quite easy.

Ivan,
Just concentrate on one pitstop because A1 does two - they will pit on 9th or 10th lap second time. :p
Also you have to adjust chassis and suspension enough soft for better handling. Gearing differences need to fit on powerrange. And ...forget automatic gearshifting.

Yea
I did all that and still got my arse spanked. I tried everything. Then I just gave up to finish the series. I've won everything else though. So it's not like I don't know or can't figure stuff out. It's the only race that I've lost. :mad:

#38 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 22,919 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 22:48

Yea
I did all that and still got my arse spanked. I tried everything. Then I just gave up to finish the series. I've won everything else though. So it's not like I don't know or can't figure stuff out. It's the only race that I've lost. :mad:

You should go back and do it. Funny though, I do not recall it as being that tough. And I did it in auto. But maybe in stage 11 I cheated with rubbing the rails. Probably ;) .

#39 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 07:50

Btw, I saw that new Logitech wheel which wheel turning radius will be 900° for 159 €.
Looks nice and when GT4 is available I might even buy that.
Any practical experiences about this wheel?

On last summer I first time played GT3 with wheel. That took few laps to get used on it but it was damn fun.

Advertisement

#40 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 00:31

Btw, I saw that new Logitech wheel which wheel turning radius will be 900° for 159 €.

Why is there a need for such a radius? Or is that a typo?!

#41 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 22,919 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 02:00

Why is there a need for such a radius? Or is that a typo?!

Its not a typo. Its supposed to better emulate a real wheel. The magnets are heavier as well. I'd imagine that you'd need to bolt it down though. I presume one could calibrate it to turn less though if one wanted to. Driving an older car would be much more realistic = more fun with lots more turns. One thing I don't like about GT3 is that so often, one goes to full lock and then you balance the throttle. This is good for a hand controller no doubt, but not as rewarding for a wheel user. I reckon the new wheel would change all that.

#42 TT6

TT6

• 3,571 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 07:57

Just heard that GT4 is delayed till autumn in US. Here....

No news about European release.

#43 indigoid

indigoid

• 384 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 09:59

I'm eagerly awaiting GT4, though not for the races. I've completed about 85% of GT3; enough to have all of the interesting cars. I just fool around for hours in 'free run' mode, tweaking cars, and trying to improve my driving. Usually slow cars, as I find them much more of a challenge.

My all time favourite is that Suzuki Alto Works thing. Its really gutless, and if you power it up with the turbo options (maximum 230hp or so), has monstrous lag. Literally 15 seconds or more to get from idle to 5000rpm. This means its a terrific challenge to drive fast, particularly on tarmac. It's also a right little weapon on the dirt (particularly Tahiti Maze) and around Complex String

So what steering wheel/pedals should I buy? All of my GT2 and GT3 experience has been with the dualshock...

edit: I heard that GT4 is going to have Nordschleife, and this alone justifies buying it in my opinion

j.

#44 TT6

TT6

• 3,571 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 10:52

GT4 Prologue will hit the stores in Europe . It seems so. The real thing is delayed 'till autumn in Europe also.

#45 Viktor

Viktor

• 3,412 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 21:45

Time for E3 again and this time thay have shown a video of GT4 running on PSP (PlayStation Portable), cool if you can play againt PS2 and PSP players online. First play at home and then move the game to the PSP when you go to work and play on the train with your garage.

/Viktor

#46 TT6

TT6

• 3,571 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 11:41

Nurburgring Nordschleife included!!!l

This sounds intresting. Final product will include 100 tracks (of course reversed and partial tracks are counted in I guess), and more than 500 cars.

In E3 version eight courses will be available, listed below, including Nurburgring Nordschleife.

New York City
Fuji Speedway
Tsukuba Circuit
Grand Canyon
Citta di Aria
Costa di Amalfi
Hong Kong
Nurburgring Nordschleife – Featuring a ‘rollercoaster-style’ race course with various elevation changes and turns, located in the wooded hills of the Eifel plateau in Western Germany...

E3 preview from playstation.com

#47 Viktor

Viktor

• 3,412 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 11:55

:clap: :clap:
Yes! This game is getting better and better for every E3 show :D

/Viktor

#48 pRy

pRy

• 26,356 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 21:17

http://www.exit-asia...p/pv_gt4_e3.wmv

thks for link babbel

Looks awesome. Can't believe thats PS2. Amazing work.

#49 Viktor

Viktor

• 3,412 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 21:39

Ahhh! I want the game now!! :)
Looks so good. Looks like old (and new) DTM cars will be in the game. I hered that cars from 1896 would also be in the game!

/Viktor

#50 Spamula One

Spamula One

• 207 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 21:48

Awesome link pRy! I love the shot of the cars going through the karussel!
Here's a beautiful shot of a Skyline with the Nurburgring castle in the backgound. Anyone know what the castle is actually called? (I'm assuming that it's actually the Nurburgring)

http://www.gamespot....s.html?page=205