Photo

Sir Peter Ustinov, RIP

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 09:57

Sir Peter Ustinov has died aged 82 - a man of almost infinite talents and achievements, but as far as this forum is concerned, he'll be forever remembered for The Grand Prix of Gibraltar - certainly one of the funniest comic monologues I've ever heard and the product of a true sporting enthusiast.

Sadly missed.

Advertisement

#2 karlcars

karlcars

• 662 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 10:07

I was very sad indeed to hear today of his death. What a great talent and magnificent human being. Fortunately we have lots by which to remember him.

Just noting recently that on one of his birthdays his surprise present from his wife, with the help of Bernard Cahier, was a Hispano-Suiza V-12!

Had the pleasure of seeing him on stage, meeting him briefly and...dating his daughter Pavla...

A big loss...great career...wonderful life.

#3 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,166 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 10:44

Oh no. Another one of my heroes departs. He seemed immortal, somehow...

#4 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,585 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 10:45

Tonight I will play again the GP of Gibraltar starring the Schorrcedes and Count Von Grips...

A mega-talent left us.

#5 masterhit

masterhit

• 1,837 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 12:13

Adieu, Sir Peter.

#6 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 42,515 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 12:17

:cry:

Arjan: I'll be playing it in the car as I drive back to work :up:

#7 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

• 843 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 12:19

:(

#8 SEdward

SEdward

• 840 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 12:24

To be honest, a tiny part of his time and his talent was devoted to our beloved past-time.

But he was a man of great talent and immeasurable knowledge and culture. Like Richard Burton, he was a great actor who played in many poor films...

Another flash of the shine of motorsport has died forever.

Edward.

#9 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,235 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 13:18

Always entertaining, whether in film or in life - a great talent & a great man. RIP :cry:

#10 Costaz

Costaz

• 3,238 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 13:42

:( :cry: RIP

#11 ensign14

ensign14

• 63,177 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 13:51

A slightly more prosaic vehicle than a Fanfani...

RIP. 82 is a good innings, let's celebrate his life rather than mourn his passing.

#12 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 13:54

Anyone who thought he was an Amilcar as a boy was destined to be someone very special whenever he grew up. Fortunately, he never really grew up and we were given a most delightful and talented man to enrich our lives -- someone who was perhaps still that Amilcar.....

#13 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,731 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 14:19

I know this is a well-worn cliche, but - I doubt we shall ever see his like again. He was unique.

#14 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 15:46

He knew how to have fun. We should celebrate his life and passing by emulating him in that wise, and helping others to do the same.

--
Frank S

#15 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 16:19

Originally posted by ian senior
Oh no. Another one of my heroes departs. He seemed immortal, somehow...

I remember reading an auto-biography of him when I was a kid and long before I became interested in motor-racing. One of the funniest, most intelligent people to have graced us with their presence. He'll be missed on so many levels.

Neil

#16 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,313 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 16:33

How sad :cry:

#17 quintin cloud

quintin cloud

• 4,649 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 08:55

RIP :cry: :(

#18 Mihai

Mihai

• 171 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 11:11

Romania's Petre Cristea (winner of the Monte Carlo Rally 1936) was invited in 1976 by Ford to that year's Monte and he mentions is his memories article that he had a pleasant conversation with his old friend, Peter Ustinov, at the awards ceremony.

#19 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,722 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 11:54

Originally posted by Vitesse2
:cry:

Arjan: I'll be playing it in the car as I drive back to work :up:

Same here.

My moments of :rotfl: (though hopefully in the interest of safety I will be able to contain those when in the car!) will be the best way to honour him.

"Ve believe zat ze car is ze main zing to conzider, and zat man must be slave of ze machine."

Priceless...

Advertisement

#20 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 42,515 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 12:41

Originally posted by Racer.Demon
"Ve believe zat ze car is ze main zing to conzider, and zat man must be slave of ze machine."

Priceless...

Hermann Lang meets Fritz Lang? :cool:

#21 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 16:27

Public Television reminded me of Ustinov's desired epitaph:

"KEEP OFF THE GRASS"

#22 SEdward

SEdward

• 840 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 17:33

Nothing to do with this forum or motor sport at all, but Alistair Cooke has gone too...

Edward

#23 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 18:49

Great Loss.
Apart from his performance n "Grand Prix del La Roc" his "swimming" in the inspector Poirot series has to be seen to be appreciated. And I agree, anyone who thought he was an Amilcar growing up has to be worth remembering. :(

#24 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,731 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 19:44

Originally posted by SEdward
Nothing to do with this forum or motor sport at all, but Alistair Cooke has gone too...

Edward

I was shattered when I heard the news this morning. Two of my favourite people, in two days. Sunday mornings just won't be the same after the series of recycled 'Letters from America' comes to an end.

#25 TFBundy

TFBundy

• 111 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 20:58

May both RIP!

As well as having a stint as an Amilcar and owning a 37.2 Hispano, I rather liked Ustinov's description in his autobiography "Dear Me" ...

‘I was even more sinister at the wheel of my Mercedes-Benz S-wagen, a supercharged two-seater like a propelling pencil on four huge wheels, linked by cable brakes, about as unsafe a vehicle as it was possible to conceive’

I think he lived long and prospered partly by disposing of the car .....

#26 smithy

smithy

• 2,459 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 05:44

Dear me.... I'm about to show my age and ignorance but........

What is the Grand Prix of Gibralter?

#27 Brun

Brun

• 511 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 08:11

Ustinov dead...

Ach, already? :cry: :(

#28 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 42,515 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 13:14

Originally posted by smithy
Dear me.... I'm about to show my age and ignorance but........

What is the Grand Prix of Gibralter?

http://forums.atlasf...&threadid=37778

The extracts quoted only give a tiny flavour of the superbly sustained and concentrated humour of this monologue, in which Ustinov does all the voices and all the special effects - including the engine noises, sirens and even a military marching band! It's a late 50s piece and manages to perfectly convey the characters involved in the real world of 50s racing, while creating a complete fantasy GP based in Gibraltar, including a section through the harbour (the Schnorrcedes were at an advantage here due to their U-Boat experience). The Orginis smelled wonderful .... when asked what it was, Monsieur Orgini answered "Crepes Suzette" .....

And it just goes on like that! A masterpiece. :up: :up:

#29 Brun

Brun

• 511 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 20:48

Originally posted by Vitesse2

http://forums.atlasf...&threadid=37778

The extracts quoted only give a tiny flavour of the superbly sustained and concentrated humour of this monologue, in which Ustinov does all the voices and all the special effects - including the engine noises, sirens and even a military marching band! It's a late 50s piece and manages to perfectly convey the characters involved in the real world of 50s racing, while creating a complete fantasy GP based in Gibraltar, including a section through the harbour (the Schnorrcedes were at an advantage here due to their U-Boat experience). The Orginis smelled wonderful .... when asked what it was, Monsieur Orgini answered "Crepes Suzette" .....

And it just goes on like that! A masterpiece. :up: :up:

Indeed it was... And it triggered some memories of last year's Revival Meeting!

#30 lanciaman

lanciaman

• 558 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 04:40

Sir Peter reputedly went into the recording studio with a fistful of notes and winged it from there to create the Grand Prix du Roc. Funniest thing ever recorded.

He was so witty and entertaining for so long that we thought he would always be with us. :(

#31 tam999

tam999

• 87 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 06:33

Gary Horstkorta contributed this photo to my website tonight. It shows Peter Ustinov and David Niven chatting with Count Wolfgang von Trips at the first L.A. Times Grand Prix at Riverside in October, 1958. Car #59 is Joe Lubin's Aston Martin DB3S. I'm glad this photo came in while this thread was still current.

http://www.tamsoldra...erUstinov1.html

#32 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 03:39

I have a story from Phil Binks:

At the Questor Grand Prix, after hostilities had subsided, Phil met Ustinov and entourage (or was it retinue?) marching toward an exit.

Phil: Mr. Ustinov, will you make the sound of one of those Matras?

Ustinov: (Without missing a beat) Nevah!

Retinue: (Pandemonium ensues)

------

Phil, Dolphin America racer, photographer, and participant in experiences with nearly every California racer from Miles to Monise and beyond, is going to LeMans this year. His son Dan is a crew chief on the Pratt & Miller Corvette team. Any of the TNF horde who will be there should look him up. Phil is the fellow with a new Fuji S7000 and excellent eye.

Frank S